Some questions setting up colocation server with unRAID

Codge

Hello,

I'm currently setting up a 2U supermicro server that will be colocated around 800mi away. I've never used unRAID before, but definitely plan on using/tinkering with it before I sent it to the datacenter. I'm just worried about how I will do remote management by an IP out of network stand point. I have IPMI and would like to use Putty with an SSH key for security. Is this an available feature with unRAID? I'd just like to be sure my server is secure on a public network. What would be the best way to go about this?

Unraid isn't designed to be used in that environment.  It's really designed for home LAN use, and even then it's not recommended to open either SSH or webui to the WAN.  As we get point releases and no rolling security upgrades there will be periods where it is just even more vulnerable.

My server is at home, but when I need to access it from work, I vpn in to my home network first using the openvpn docker container running on unraid.

However, if the server is offline or the array is down, openvpn won't be running so I also keep an old router on my network with openvpn running on it as a backup. It is much slower but lets me connect to the server so I can bring it online through ipmi

I know people are fans of this, but why not install VMWare ESXi on the bare metal, pass through a HBA to a VM running unRaid. Then you have all kinds of options. You could setup a pfSense firewall and put unRaid on a vSwitch not accessible to the public and an OpenVPN VM (or on pfSense as a plugin) as well. Then just VPN in to your virtual network. Have your IPMI and ESXi setup on your Colo's management subnet so you can control both when needed to get ESXi up and running. Install ESXUI for remote ESXi management so no need for bloated windows client or vCenter. Everything is secure at that point. Complicated to setup initially, but all free, less time and an unRaid license.