Media randomly pauses every so often

Herdo

I've got PMS running on a setup machine and I've got all the media stored on my unRAID server.  I plan on eventually moving PMS to my unRAID server when I upgrade the CPU.

Everything has worked fine so far, except this one problem.  Every so often, Plex will randomly "pause" the media.  Nothing actually freezes, or crashes, it just pauses.  Clicking the "jump back 15 seconds" button immediately starts the media playing again and it then plays right on through where it stopped without any problem.

It seems to happen more often towards the end of longer episodes, like around the 48 minute mark, usually a minute or two before the episode is over.

It just happened again and I checked the logs to see if maybe something was interrupting the playback, but there hasn't been anything logged for a few hours.

The reason I'm asking this hear is because I've changed nothing with my PMS install, other than changing the libraries from local directories to the unRAID user shares.

Maybe it's some sort of network issue?  Everything is connected via a wired 1Gbps network.

EDIT:  Oh and media bitrate/size doesn't seem to have any effect.  This happened once while playing a 20Mbps movie and has happened several times playing 3Mbps SD television shows, all of which are directly streaming (no transcoding).

And to be clear, this isn't stuttering or buffering, it just pauses it as if I pressed the pause button.

My 1st suggestion would be to set your Unraid disks to not spin down when not in use and see if the problem goes away.

If it does go away then seek advice on how best to prevent it without completely disabling disk spin down.

Hey, thanks for the advice.  All of my disks are already set to "Never" for the spin down delay.  Should I be doing something different?

EDIT:  Whoops!  Just checked and apparently I only set the parity to "Never" only, the others were at "Default".  I could have swore I checked that myself, but I think I just checked "Disk Settings" not the individual disks themselves.

Although, if I have "Default Spin Down Delay: Never", shouldn't the individual disks set to "Default" be using "Never"?

I am seeing this also and only started recently. Either it is a 6.2 issue or a v1 PMS issue. Not seeing anyone complaining of this on Plex forums.

It almost always hits about halfway through a movie so @45 minute mark. I don't see it at all with TV episodes as they run 30 minutes usually.

My disks have been set to spin down after 1 hour since way back in v5. I set them to 3 hours yesterday but still had pausing today. I have allocation set to make sure the whole MKV is on the same disk.

I am seeing this also and only started recently. Either it is a 6.2 issue or a v1 PMS issue. Not seeing anyone complaining of this on Plex forums.

It almost always hits about halfway through a movie so @45 minute mark. I don't see it at all with TV episodes as they run 30 minutes usually.

My disks have been set to spin down after 1 hour since way back in v5. I set them to 3 hours yesterday but still had pausing today. I have allocation set to make sure the whole MKV is on the same disk.

Yep, it doesn't seem to happen with your typical 23 minute or 43 minute episodes but I have a few shows that run about 50 minutes and it happens right at about the 45 minute mark.

I'm using 6.1.9 by the way.

Yep, it doesn't seem to happen with your typical 23 minute or 43 minute episodes but I have a few shows that run about 50 minutes and it happens right at about the 45 minute mark.

I'm using 6.1.9 by the way.

What kind of client are you using? I am using a Roku 3. Lets see what we have in common.

I have noticed the problem with my Samsung smart TV (UNJS9000) which has a wired connection.  I haven't noticed it yet on my Amazon Fire TV upstairs which is wireless.

I'm going to start watching stuff through the Plex desktop client to see if it has the same problem.

I'm getting this too. PMS streaming to the plex app on an iPad over the local wifi also seams to buffer at about the 45 minute mark. I'm going to try restarting the plex docker later and see if that fix it.

I haven't updated or made any changes since updating to v1. This has only started in the last 24hours or so.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Firstly your post not that useful either. Secondly no actual "fix" listed just some let's throw some ideas and see what sticks. No worries though I'll keep researching and will likely figure out the solution just like the vm issue I had and ONE post "asking" did I update the bios which I already did and then NO replies/suggestions whatsoever.  Don't worry though I posted what actually worked for me and I hope it helped the community. 👍

18 minutes ago, ap90033 said:

your post not that useful either.

His post was telling you to follow directions, which you declined to do, instead you replied with snark.

On 2/14/2020 at 12:14 PM, trurl said:

start a new thread with a more detailed description of your issue and your Diagnostics. 

If you do that, you should get more help. This thread is outdated, the symptoms and fixes are many times hardware specific, so generic random ideas are the best you can get with no real info to go on.

Interesting how that wasn't the case with the thread that I did create. But whatever. I'll take your advice and I'll create a thread and who knows maybe on this issue you'll be right. Heck I'm open to giving it a go! Ironic however how I waited for days with no response on the new thread  I created  as you suggested and here I've already got two!  You are absolutely correct on one thing I do need to lower my snark level. Have a good night

The way that I understand it is that you've got some media randomly pausing

2 hours ago, ap90033 said:

Same issue here

52 minutes ago, ap90033 said:

let's throw some ideas and see what sticks.

What else did you expect?  Some magic fix when there's no details of the circumstances etc on a reply to a post 3 years old?  "Excuse me, Mr Car Mechanic, I hear a noise on occasion just like that other guy you had in here 3 years ago.  What's wrong?"  What answer would you think that he's going to give you?

14 minutes ago, ap90033 said:

Ironic however how I waited for days with no response on the new thread 

Yes it may be hard to believe, but not every one has an answer for any given random question, especially when it's on specific hardware.

Edited by DarphBobo
15 minutes ago, ap90033 said:

I waited for days with no response on the new thread  I created 

If you feel your post has been overlooked, "bump" the thread by making a new post in it. That way the forum will show the thread is unread again.

People often bump a thread just by posting "bump".

Many of us read a lot of posts and may not always reply immediately and then we are off to something else or think maybe someone else will take it up. We are all just volunteers here trying to help each other.

• Thanks 1