Checking the Pro upgrade device limit... or not.

Perhaps I am doing something wrong since I am fairly new to this but...

I recently upgraded Plus key to a Pro key on an existing server with only 4 devices. Then I moved the key to a brand new server running about 8 devices on a 6.0 Pro trial key. I then requested a replacement key to replace the now invalid key on the new server. I think that's how I did it. It has been a few weeks but, it all seemed to work perfectly. My license setting no longer says "Plus" but, then it does not say Pro either.

This week I started to put more drives in the Norco 4224 with 2 "IBM" 1015 controllers with an ASRock EP2C602 motherboard and no matter how I do it, I cannot get the system to recognize more than 12 drives and the USB stick. 2*Parity, 2*SSD Cache Pool and 8 data drives spread across both controllers. Both controllers have some working drives and I have been able to get at least one drive working on each of the SAS shelves I have tried. The cache pool SSDs are attached to the SATA3 ports on the motherboard. I have tried 6 additional drives to no avail.

Even stranger, I did get the system to see one extra drive which I successfully pre-cleared but, when I rebooted it was gone and it never got assigned. Is it possible that the 12 device limit was not cleared by the upgrade? Is there a better way to check then installing more devices?

Thanks, Tim

My license setting no longer says "Plus" but, then it does not say Pro either.

That doesn't sound right. If it doesn't say Pro then it surely isn't being recognised as a Pro key.

I don't understand your description of what you've done with your key(s) and you seem to have some doubt yourself. Purchasing a Plus to Pro upgrade makes sense and then moving the USB stick to a brand new server, I can understand and assume you're retiring the old one. But what made your key become invalid such that you had to request a replacement? The thing that usually causes someone to request a replacement is the failure of the original USB stick.

Since I did not want to take my config to the new server, I thought it was the best idea to move the key from the old stick/server config to the new stick/server config that I had built with a demo license on a different stick rather than trying to put the new server config on the old key. I had both servers running for a few weeks while I moved all my data from the old server to the the new one and then just moved the upgraded Pro key file to the new server and requested a replacement key so it would validate on the new server stick. Then I turned the old server off, as you guessed, and added the three drives in it to the new server.

I have a 10 disk array, including parity and 2 SSDs in a cache pool. The drop down will allow me assign up to 30 drives to the array.

The 4 drives I have left to add are not working all that well after further external testing. Let me find or, buy a known good drive to install and validate my issue and get back to you.

Thanks for your help.

Like others have said the webGUI should display PRO, but the way you described it looks like the additional disks are not being detected, if so that's another issue, unRAID will detect all connected devices independent of the license, it just won't start the array with more devices than the license allows, you'll get a message similar to "to many devices, consider upgrading your license".

Oh sure, just point out the obvious. :-[  ;)

It does say unRAID Server Pro on the Main page but, only the slightly vague "Thank you for choosing unRAID Server OS!" and "12 attached storage devices" on the registration page. It did indicate Plus when I had the 12 device license but, not Pro when I upgraded. Perhaps that could be added to save people like me from ourselves.

I will assume I have flakey or broken drives until I can prove otherwise.  They had come out of an older NAS with a failed power supply so not recently in use or tested. It just seemed like a bit of a coincidence that I got stuck at 12 devices after an upgrade.

Thanks again.

• 3 months later...

With the array stopped, look at Main - Array Devices for the dropdown at the bottom. How many Slots do you have selected?

While this used to be a way to tell which license you had; that's no longer the case.  ALL versions will show all slots -- even if your license doesn't allow you to assign that many drives.

... I thought it was the best idea to move the key from the old stick/server config to the new stick/server config that I had built with a demo license on a different stick rather than trying to put the new server config on the old key.

I presume you know that the key is tied to a specific USB flash drive -- you can't just move it to a new "stick" ... although your subsequent comment clarifies what you did ...

... moved the upgraded Pro key file to the new server and requested a replacement key so it would validate on the new server stick

However, if you can't go beyond 12 devices with the new key, let Tom know, as this could be a bug in the process when you're replacing what was originally a Plus key that had been upgraded to Pro.    I wouldn't think this is the case, but if you find that you can't go beyond 12 devices it very well may be.  BTW, are you SURE you moved the PRO key to the new flash drive?    Your old flash drive may have BOTH a Plus and a Pro key on it -- I'm not sure whether the upgrade removes the Plus key in the upgrade process.    If you moved the wrong key, you may have simply replaced it.