disable telnet access

is it possible to disable telnet access? if so please give instructions! thanks!

Why do you want to do this? 

If it is for security reasons, you can do about the same amount of damage from the GUI which is basically protected the same way (by root login and password).  Just be sure that you have a long and complex password that is difficult to crack.  You do realize that your only access will now be through the console if emhttp goes down (and that has happened to several users).  And it is not really much fun to troubleshoot from the console unless you are a real LINUX guru as anyone can easily cut and paste from the telenet session. 

is it possible to disable telnet access? if so please give instructions! thanks!

Why do you want to do this? 

If it is for security reasons, you can do about the same amount of damage from the GUI which is basically protected the same way (by root login and password).  Just be sure that you have a long and complex password that is difficult to crack.  You do realize that your only access will now be through the console if emhttp goes down (and that has happened to several users).  And it is not really much fun to troubleshoot from the console unless you are a real LINUX guru as anyone can easily cut and paste from the telenet session. 

Shutting off telnet just prevents your root password from getting sniffed... (I know the web login can be sniffed too... but that's just authorization, not the actual password)

The OP is not limited to the console as SSH is still up, and can be used to debug similarly as with a telnet session.

For security reasons - one "less secure" access mechanism to worry about is still better (let's not go into the whole security can of worms)

My example also shuts off FTP which I also never use.