Drives in bays don't show up.

Naldinho

This is probably something ridiculously simple that I just don't know about but I've googled for a few minutes and can't find anything.

I'm on my second unRaid build -- it boots fine but the only drive that shows up is the SSD that I plan to use as a cache drive. I have three 6GB WD Reds in drive bays that are not detected.

The SSD is not in a drive bay and when I pull one of the HDs out of the bays and connect it directly to power and SATA it also shows up -- so obviously I'm doing something wrong when it comes to using the bays -- this is my first computer to have these -- everything else I own I've had to plug wires into the drives directly.

I've looked into the bays and it seems like there is really only one way to put a drive in as I can see the interface at the back and it lines up with the interface on the drives. I really don't get it as I figured you just put the drive in the cradle and push it back then it locks -- I can't really see how I am doing this wrong and yet.

Can someone help me here?

It is a used server that came assembled and just missing harddrives -- It was a custom build so no brand markings but 4 SATA cables go into the bays and I see power as well although it is all obscured by the fan.

That said you asking me these question led to a solution and like I expected it is something embarrassing. When I was looking for branding marks on the cradles I saw screw holes and it occurred to me that the cradles are not just drop the drives in and insert. If I aligned the drive holes to the cradle holes the drive sits a 1/4 inch further back.

Don't have any screws here but just to test stuff the front the cradle with some paper to keep the drive holes aligned and problem solved.

This is really embarrassing and thank you for helping. 

Archived