Advice on mapping shares/docker containers correctly [Screenshots included]

Hey guys, I've been trying to figure out the best way to map out all of my paths correctly for my shares and am wondering what the optimal setup is. This box will mainly be used for Plex & Transmission. Eventually I'd like to add Couch Potato and Sonarr but I would like to get my pathings cleaned up before I create a huge mess and headache for myself. I've tried googling and looking around the forums and Reddit but am still lost. I am mainly wondering about where my appdata should be stored, how to set a share to cache only (for the appdata), and the ideal way to map all of my Plex media into separate folders and sub folders. Also, my docker paths to disk1 aren't ideal but I've also read that /mnt/user/ isn't a great way either since some dockers don't play nicely with that. Any advice or examples/screenshots of your pathings would be greatly appreciated!

Below is what I currently have set up.

Main array:

LZb257K.png

Share setup:

o5TlYyO.png

Share settings:

z5uAVeg.png

Docker settings:

qjIDBy7.png

ideally your appdata would be on a cache drive, which you do not have so you cannot set a share to be cache only.

as far as paths when it comes to downloaders and apps like sonarr, make sure your /downloads is pointed at the same place across your apps, not to like a subfolder within that path.

Ahh okay, I should probably order a small ssd then.

So if I were to point everything to /downloads and set it at /mnt/user/downloads that would work much better? Then lets say I download a movie, would I just set the location to download to /downloads/movies/movie name? I'm assuming this would be the cleanest way to keep everything organized. I just dont understand the difference of creating a user share for Movies, TV, etc. Vs letting transmission create it when I set the download location to /downloads/movies/movie name or /downloads/tv/Mythbusters/Season 01 etc.

So if I were to point everything to /downloads and set it at /mnt/user/downloads that would work much better? Then lets say I download a movie, would I just set the location to download to /downloads/movies/movie name? I'm assuming this would be the cleanest way to keep everything organized. I just dont understand the difference of creating a user share for Movies, TV, etc. Vs letting transmission create it when I set the download location to /downloads/movies/movie name or /downloads/tv/Mythbusters/Season 01 etc.

i'll just assume you'll get a SSD and have a cache drive for the below:

you'd want /downloads to be /mnt/cache/downloads as staging table for CP and Sonarr to move and organize your movies and tv shows to your actual share for your media ( /mnt/user/Media/ or whatever you have it as ).

even if you have different categories for how downloads are saved (i use nzbget, so i dont know what transmission does) for when your media gets downloaded within the /downloads/ directory, you would still point /downloads within sonarr and couchpotato to still be /mnt/cache/downloads instead of like /mnt/cache/downloads/tv . sonarr and CP would complain about not having access to the file otherwise.

hopefully that makes it a little more clear. if you need a screenshot of my dockers, please let me know.

First, don't forget to click on the name of the share from the Shares tab and set "Use cache disk" to "Only" for appdata and any other share you want to stay on the cache drive. 

I setup everything under appdata.

/mnt/cache/appdata/docker for my docker image

/mnt/cache/appdata/plex for plex

/mnt/cache/appdata/sabnzbd

/mnt/cache/appdata/sickrage

/mnt/cache/appdata/downloads

I then have applications like SickRage setup to to do post-processing and rename and move downloads from /mnt/cache/appdata/downloads to /mnt/user/TVShows etc.  That moves them immediately from the cache drive to the array.  You could also download files to /mnt/cache/download and then have Mover run overnight to move things to the array, but applications like Sonarr, CouchPotato, etc can help you organize your media better than that.