unRAID Server Release 6.2.0-rc5 Available

limetech

First time using 6.2? please read the Original 6.2-beta Announcement Post first.

Also please review the Announcement posts for previous 6.2-rc releases, especially if this is your first upgrade to 6.2-rc.

HOW TO REPORT A BUG

Think you've found a bug or other defect?  Ask yourself these questions before posting about it here:

[*]Have I successfully tested this bug with all my plugins disabled (booting into safe mode)?

[*]Can I recreate the bug consistently and have I documented the steps to do so?

[*]Have I downloaded my diagnostics from the unRAID webGui after the bug occurred, but before I rebooted the system?

Do not post about a bug unless you can confidently answer "Yes" to all three of those questions.  Once you can, be sure to follow these guidelines, but make sure to post as a reply on this thread, not as a new topic under defect reports (we track bug reports for beta/rc releases independent from the stable release).

INSTALLING AND UPDATING

If you are currently running previous 6.2-beta/rc release, clicking 'Check for Updates' on the Plugins page is the preferred way to upgrade.

Alternately, navigate to Plugins/Install Plugin, copy this text into the box and click Install:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/limetech/unRAIDServer-6.2/master/unRAIDServer.plg

You may also Download the release and generate a fresh install.

RELEASE NOTES

This release mainly includes bug fixes to support SAS devices properly, though spinup/spindown of certain SAS devices remains problematic.

In addition there is an "experimental" setting under Global Share settings to turn on Direct IO mount option for user share file system.  This improves write performance and lets us reach "wire speed" for 10Gb/sec Ethernet to cache disk/pool of SSD's.

Barring a show-stopper type bug, this should be the last -rc, and then we will release 6.2 'stable'.  There will be some "known issues" in 6.2 which will be addressed in 6.2.1, but in the interest of getting unRAID OS up to date with security fixes we want to get to a 'stable' 6.2 as soon as possible.

Known Issues

- There appears to be an issue with 6.2 with NFS access to user shares with some media players.

- There are spinup/spindown issues with SAS devices assigned to the parity-protected array.

- There appears to be some performance issues with certain lower/mid-end hardware.

unRAID Server OS Change Log
===========================

Version 6.2.0-rc5 2016-09-04
----------------------------

Base distro:

- gnupg: version 1.4.21 (CVE-2016-6313)
- libgcrypt: version 1.7.3 (CVE-2016-6313)

Linux kernel:

- version 4.4.19
- i2c is now a module instead of builtin
- kernel-firmware: version 20160823git
- upgraded out-of-tree Highpoint Rocket r750: version 1.2.7 - fixes smartctl requests

Management:

- add experimental global share setting: "Tunable (enable Direct IO)"
- fix regression in mac "make bootable" script
- fixed: the combination DHCP static + DNS automatic is not allowed.
- get rid of release validation for -rc releases with Basic/Plus/Pro
- handle cases of ethernet NICs added or removed
- sas device identification: change from WWN to MODEL_SERIALNO_WWN

webGui:

- Add collapsable CPU load details in Dashboard
- Add configurable display of WWN in device ID
- Add CLONE functionality to user shares and disk shares settings
- add underlining when hoovering over links
- Add option to anonymize diagnostics for a bug report
- Added confirmation dialog when "parity is already valid" is checked
- Changed truncation of log files and generation of last200 logs
- docker: Delete failed downloads on template updates
- Enhanced timezone settings and remove "custom" timezone choice
- Fixed NewConfig display of array status
- Fixed: allow ';' (semicolon) character in Docker variables
- Improved feedback for clickable links
- Remove unneeded title messages in links
- Save mail password encrypted in configuration file

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In addition there is an "experimental" setting under Global Share settings to turn on Direct IO mount option for user share file system.  This improves write performance and lets us reach "wire speed" for 10Gb/sec Ethernet to cache disk/pool of SSD's.

Management:

Any additional details you can share with us about this new feature, such as Pros and Cons? But more importantly,  what should users keep a look out for with this new experimental mode? What's the worst that could happen when using this experimental mode?

Upgrade went smooth but I am getting a Fatal Error when I goto the Main tab

screenshot of error

http://screencast.com/t/x19Gx7QjaX

Either Update (if there is one) or Uninstall the Dynamix Disk IO plugin. I'm guessing that's the culprit of the issue.

Yup, Uninstalled Dynamix Disk IO and error went away

Version 2016.09.03 of dynamix.disk.io needs to be uninstalled before updating to rc5.

After upgrade of unRAID to rc5 you can install the new version 2016.09.05 2016.09.05b by using the URL (remember this plugin is in test phase).

can you explain how to correctly use the clone feature please?

Procedure to clone disk or share settings to multiple destinations is to configure a disk/share first with the required settings click Apply.

Next in the drop-down menu select the destinations. Click Clone and settings of the current disk/share are copied. This will be confirmed by a message.

There are separate Clone functions for settings and user permissions (SMB only).

- get rid of release validation for -rc releases with Basic/Plus/Pro

Does this mean that the "phone home" 'feature' has been removed and that it will start up in the absence of an Internet connection?

That would be my interpretation as well but the new wording for the feature  (release validation ) adds just enough doubt to make me want to confirm this as well.

Also CVE-2016-5389 has been ommited from the changelog. Since there is an SSA for this it should be included. Please confirm it is fixed by adding it to the changelog as usual.

can you explain how to correctly use the clone feature please?

Procedure to clone disk or share settings to multiple destinations is to configure a disk/share first with the required settings click Apply.

Next in the drop-down menu select the destinations. Click Clone and settings of the current disk/share are copied. This will be confirmed by a message.

There are separate Clone functions for settings and user permissions (SMB only).

Ah ok thankyou. At first I thought the clone meant you could clone a share with its contents to another. So if you had an important folder/share it could be cloned/mirrored on two disks  ie disk 1 and disk 3.

I tried the clone feature. It copies the settings of a share etc to another. So if you make a new share you can them clone the settings of the new share crated to another share that has already been created. This seems to me pointless as the other shares would already have had their settings setup when created so why would you want to make a new share and clone the settings to existing shares?

It would be better to have it to copy from an existing share the settings to the new one being created. Well in my opinion anyway!

Why are new experimental features being added in an RC?

This.  RCs are for bug fixes, not adding more shit to break.  Adding stuff in RC5 totally and utterly defeats the purpose of an RC.  RC should be a feature freeze then bug fix, nothing else.

When you make new shares then afterwards you need to go to an existing share and clone from there to the new share(s).

Yeah I understand that. Please don't think I mean to criticize the excellent work.

But I think it is inefficient to create a new share then close it and goto an existing share open it then clone its settings to the newly created share.

It would be quicker to create a new share then have drop down box that says "copy from" and it clone the setting from that share to the one being created. Wouldnt it be better to be implemented that way around? It would save alot of time opening and closing shares, dont you think?

When you make new shares then afterwards you need to go to an existing share and clone from there to the new share(s).

Yeah I understand that. Please don't think I mean to criticize the excellent work.

But I think it is inefficient to create a new share then close it and goto an existing share open it then clone its settings to the newly created share.

It would be quicker to create a new share then have drop down box that says "copy from" and it clone the setting from that share to the one being created. Wouldnt it be better to be implemented that way around? It would save alot of time opening and closing shares, dont you think?

No worries, I don't see it as critics.

When developing this function I started with the idea that people have a X number of existing shares and want to easily clone settings to them, but your point is valid too.

Need to do some more thinking and see how to combine.

Upgrade went smooth but I am getting a Fatal Error when I goto the Main tab

screenshot of error

http://screencast.com/t/x19Gx7QjaX

Either Update (if there is one) or Uninstall the Dynamix Disk IO plugin. I'm guessing that's the culprit of the issue.

Yup, Uninstalled Dynamix Disk IO and error went away

Version 2016.09.03 of dynamix.disk.io needs to be uninstalled before updating to rc5.

After upgrade of unRAID to rc5 you can install the new version 2016.09.05 2016.09.05b by using the URL (remember this plugin is in test phase).

What plugin is this? I don't see it mentioned in the OP of Dynamix plugins thread and didn't find it in a search of that thread either.