[Support] Linuxserver.io - TVHeadend

linuxserver_medium.png

Application Name: TVHeadend

Application Site: https://tvheadend.org/

Docker Hub: https://hub.docker.com/r/linuxserver/tvheadend/

Github: https://github.com/linuxserver/docker-tvheadend

Please post any questions/issues relating to this docker you have in this thread.

**Notes** - Please take a look at the readme's about how the tags work for this docker image. Migration from tobben's TVHeadend docker should work fine but you may need to reconfigure xmltv

If you are not using Unraid (and you should be!) then please do not post here, instead head to linuxserver.io to see how to get support.

Edited by linuxserver.io
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Very Excited to see this.  I've been experimenting with Mythtv but TVHeadend seems to be better supported with Kodi.  So I installed through the Community Applications and then went to setup everything.  Started the Wizard but there were no options when it got to TV Adapter and Networks.  I have a HDHomerun Connect that was working with MythTV.  I did see a note "Tuners already in use will not appear below" and I figured MythTV was "using" it even though I had stopped it.  I tried removing the MythTV Docker but nothing changed.  I then removed TVHeadend, rebooted again and started over with just TVHeadend.  Still nothing.  I've searched but can't find a solution.  Now I'm stressed because I killed a semi working MythTV setup with schedulesdirect going (mostly) and now I'm stuck.  I'm sure I'm missing something simple but can't for the life of me figure out what.  I read about older versions of TVHeadend needing a HDHomerun driver installed but I thought this version (listed as 4.1 in the about tab) was suppose to be set up for HDHomerun out of the box.

Very Excited to see this.  I've been experimenting with Mythtv but TVHeadend seems to be better supported with Kodi.  So I installed through the Community Applications and then went to setup everything.  Started the Wizard but there were no options when it got to TV Adapter and Networks.  I have a HDHomerun Connect that was working with MythTV.  I did see a note "Tuners already in use will not appear below" and I figured MythTV was "using" it even though I had stopped it.  I tried removing the MythTV Docker but nothing changed.  I then removed TVHeadend, rebooted again and started over with just TVHeadend.  Still nothing.  I've searched but can't find a solution.  Now I'm stressed because I killed a semi working MythTV setup with schedulesdirect going (mostly) and now I'm stuck.  I'm sure I'm missing something simple but can't for the life of me figure out what.  I read about older versions of TVHeadend needing a HDHomerun driver installed but I thought this version (listed as 4.1 in the about tab) was suppose to be set up for HDHomerun out of the box.

You need to edit the tvheadend container and change network from bridge to host for HDHomerun to work.

I forgot to add that in the readme, sorry.

Figured I needed to give them both a fair shot.  A week with Mythtv and now a week with TVH.  TVH was easier to set up.  Now I'm just tweaking it.  I'm getting buffering for liveTV on not only my Pi but also my windows kodi machine.  Once I figure that out I'll more than likely be sticking with TVH.  everything else about it seems to be smoother for my Kodi setups and management. 

Figured I needed to give them both a fair shot.  A week with Mythtv and now a week with TVH.  TVH was easier to set up.  Now I'm just tweaking it.  I'm getting buffering for liveTV on not only my Pi but also my windows kodi machine.  Once I figure that out I'll more than likely be sticking with TVH.  everything else about it seems to be smoother for my Kodi setups and management.

Anything else running on the server when you get buffering?

I can't remember getting buffering with tvheadend. You are not transcoding the stream are you?

I'm not encoding.  It is worse when I'm watching one channel and something else is recording, but it also happens when I'm not recording.  I'm concentrating on just the PC right now.  I do have the Mpeg licenses on the Pi and that fixed all issues with livetv with Myth but decided one at a time would be best.

I did notice that certain channels were consistently worse and thought it could be my antenna but noticed that the signal strength was still saying 98% as the lowest.

I do have Kodi-headless and mariaDb dockers running as well.  It didn't seem to make a difference before.

I think I have it mostly worked out.  I added the following to my AdvanceSettings in my Kodi install...

<network>
    <buffermode>2</buffermode>
    <cachemembuffersize>41943040</cachemembuffersize>
    <readbufferfactor>5</readbufferfactor>
  </network>
  <pvr>
<minvideocachelevel>30</minvideocachelevel>
<minaudiocachelevel>30</minaudiocachelevel>
</pvr>

I adjusted the Cache level until I got a satisfactory balance between buffering and channel change times.  Seems to be mostly ok except the three channels on the PBS stream.

However I did run into a different issue now...my EPG is now blank.  I manually ran the grabber and it appears to run but I get nothing.

Loglevel debug: enabled
2016-09-11 20:00:25.378 xmltv: /usr/bin/tv_grab_na_dd: grab /usr/bin/tv_grab_na_dd
2016-09-11 20:00:25.380 spawn: Executing "/usr/bin/tv_grab_na_dd"
2016-09-11 20:00:26.094 spawn: using config filename /config/.xmltv/tv_grab_na_dd.conf
2016-09-11 20:00:29.812 spawn: Fetching from Schedules Direct     Fetched 5059 k/bytes in 3 seconds
2016-09-11 20:00:54.216 spawn: loading data: ##################################################
2016-09-11 20:00:54.216 spawn: NOTE: Your subscription will expire: 2017-09-02T15:12:47Z
2016-09-11 20:01:14.844 spawn: Writing schedule: #################################################
2016-09-11 20:01:14.844 spawn: Downloaded 7798 programs in 48 seconds
2016-09-11 20:01:15.190 xmltv: /usr/bin/tv_grab_na_dd: grab took 50 seconds
2016-09-11 20:01:15.287 xmltv: /usr/bin/tv_grab_na_dd: parse took 0 seconds
2016-09-11 20:01:15.287 xmltv: /usr/bin/tv_grab_na_dd:  channels   tot=   38 new=    0 mod=    0
2016-09-11 20:01:15.287 xmltv: /usr/bin/tv_grab_na_dd:  brands     tot=    0 new=    0 mod=    0
2016-09-11 20:01:15.287 xmltv: /usr/bin/tv_grab_na_dd:  seasons    tot=    0 new=    0 mod=    0
2016-09-11 20:01:15.287 xmltv: /usr/bin/tv_grab_na_dd:  episodes   tot=    0 new=    0 mod=    0
2016-09-11 20:01:15.287 xmltv: /usr/bin/tv_grab_na_dd:  broadcasts tot=    0 new=    0 mod=    0

If there is a different location where more logs would be please let me know.  I  enabled debug log output prior to running it this last time but I can't find where a log would be output to.

I think I have it mostly worked out.  I added the following to my AdvanceSettings in my Kodi install...

<network>
    <buffermode>2</buffermode>
    <cachemembuffersize>41943040</cachemembuffersize>
    <readbufferfactor>5</readbufferfactor>
  </network>
  <pvr>
<minvideocachelevel>30</minvideocachelevel>
<minaudiocachelevel>30</minaudiocachelevel>
</pvr>

I adjusted the Cache level until I got a satisfactory balance between buffering and channel change times.  Seems to be mostly ok except the three channels on the PBS stream.

However I did run into a different issue now...my EPG is now blank.  I manually ran the grabber and it appears to run but I get nothing.

Loglevel debug: enabled
2016-09-11 20:00:25.378 xmltv: /usr/bin/tv_grab_na_dd: grab /usr/bin/tv_grab_na_dd
2016-09-11 20:00:25.380 spawn: Executing "/usr/bin/tv_grab_na_dd"
2016-09-11 20:00:26.094 spawn: using config filename /config/.xmltv/tv_grab_na_dd.conf
2016-09-11 20:00:29.812 spawn: Fetching from Schedules Direct     Fetched 5059 k/bytes in 3 seconds
2016-09-11 20:00:54.216 spawn: loading data: ##################################################
2016-09-11 20:00:54.216 spawn: NOTE: Your subscription will expire: 2017-09-02T15:12:47Z
2016-09-11 20:01:14.844 spawn: Writing schedule: #################################################
2016-09-11 20:01:14.844 spawn: Downloaded 7798 programs in 48 seconds
2016-09-11 20:01:15.190 xmltv: /usr/bin/tv_grab_na_dd: grab took 50 seconds
2016-09-11 20:01:15.287 xmltv: /usr/bin/tv_grab_na_dd: parse took 0 seconds
2016-09-11 20:01:15.287 xmltv: /usr/bin/tv_grab_na_dd:  channels   tot=   38 new=    0 mod=    0
2016-09-11 20:01:15.287 xmltv: /usr/bin/tv_grab_na_dd:  brands     tot=    0 new=    0 mod=    0
2016-09-11 20:01:15.287 xmltv: /usr/bin/tv_grab_na_dd:  seasons    tot=    0 new=    0 mod=    0
2016-09-11 20:01:15.287 xmltv: /usr/bin/tv_grab_na_dd:  episodes   tot=    0 new=    0 mod=    0
2016-09-11 20:01:15.287 xmltv: /usr/bin/tv_grab_na_dd:  broadcasts tot=    0 new=    0 mod=    0

If there is a different location where more logs would be please let me know.  I  enabled debug log output prior to running it this last time but I can't find where a log would be output to.

I forgot to answer you, sorry.

You have to map the channels to the correct EPG source before it shows up. This is done in Configuration --> Channel/EPG.

• 2 weeks later...

So i am having a fun issue.....during the first time setup wizard it asked for an admin UserID and password, I enter it in and also the regular UserID and Password.  When the wizard completes and I go to login for the first time the admin login does not work but the regular userID works.  On top of that, when logged in as the non-admin user I only see EPG tab and the DVR tab.  Any suggestions?

So i am having a fun issue.....during the first time setup wizard it asked for an admin UserID and password, I enter it in and also the regular UserID and Password.  When the wizard completes and I go to login for the first time the admin login does not work but the regular userID works.  On top of that, when logged in as the non-admin user I only see EPG tab and the DVR tab.  Any suggestions?

When I tested the container I did not see anything like this. Are you absolutely sure its the right password and that you didn't mistype it when creating it?

I would delete the appdata folder and start fresh.

I've been using MythTV since sparkly made a docker for it, but I'm keen to try Tvheadend again. However I can't seem to get my DVB-T cards to show up (No TV adapters appear).

In my current MythTV setup (and prior to that Tvheadend) the extra parameters in the docker are:

--device=/dev/dvb/adapter0/demux0:/dev/dvb/adapter0/demux0 --device=/dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr0:/dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr0 --device=/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0:/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0 --device=/dev/dvb/adapter1/demux0:/dev/dvb/adapter1/demux0 --device=/dev/dvb/adapter1/dvr0:/dev/dvb/adapter1/dvr0 --device=/dev/dvb/adapter1/frontend0:/dev/dvb/adapter1/frontend0

Any ideas? Thanks  :)

When I tested the container I did not see anything like this. Are you absolutely sure its the right password and that you didn't mistype it when creating it?

I would delete the appdata folder and start fresh.

Oh yes, very sure.  I did what you suggested twice with the same result.  Can I just leave them blank?  I'm not going to be accessing TVHeadend from the outside.  And the only person in my house that knows how to access this is me, so.

Is there a default admin account already setup by chance?

UPDATE - Ok i am in....I saw the note in the initial setup to just fill the useID and PW fields with *.  Ok, so i must ask, how in the world am I getting OTA EPG data right out of the box?  How far ahead does it get that data?  This is great so far.  And somehow (im about 45 minutes west of Chicago) I am getting CBS 2.....I was NEVER able to get that....not sure what you have done different with this build but Well done and THANK YOU!

Yeah, I've seen this problem before, you need to stop the MythTV docker and make sure it doesn't autostart then reboot and pass them through to tvheadend.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Thanks CHBMB, I'll give that a go when I next get a chance :)

Edit: One of the things I did try was stop the MythTV docker, but I didn't reboot.

Can confirm that CHBMB advise did the trick! Thanks again  ;D

• 2 weeks later...

I'm running

unRAID Version: 6.2

DVB Version: LibreELEC

Driver Version: 1.1.0

DVB Kernel: Detected

DVB Adapter Drivers: Detected

DVB Adapter 0: Silicon Labs Si2168 (which is August DVB?T210 ? HD Freeview USB TV Tuner)

Problem is in Tvheadend no tuners are showing up. It was working on an older docker image but it said to update to this one.

I have the old one removed and only have this 1 docker  installed to access tvheadend. 

Any suggestions.

Hi,

i've updated today to the latest Version of TvHeadend. After that, TvHeadend doesn't start up.

I don't know the Problem.

I've removed the docker image and rolled back to the previous Docker container by running this command:

docker run -d --name="tvheadend" --net="bridge" -e TZ="Europe/Berlin" -e HOST_OS="unRAID" -e "PGID"="100" -e "PUID"="99" -p 9981:9981/tcp -p 9982:9982/tcp -v "/mnt/user/appdata/tvheadend":"/config":rw -v "/mnt/user/Aufnahmen/":"/recordings":rw -v "/mnt/user/appdata/tvheadend/logos":"/logos":rw --device=/dev/dvb/ linuxserver/tvheadend:29

Thanks,

chvb

Hi,

i've updated today to the latest Version of TvHeadend. After that, TvHeadend doesn't start up.

I don't know the Problem.

I've removed the docker image and rolled back to the previous Docker container by running this command:

docker run -d --name="tvheadend" --net="bridge" -e TZ="Europe/Berlin" -e HOST_OS="unRAID" -e "PGID"="100" -e "PUID"="99" -p 9981:9981/tcp -p 9982:9982/tcp -v "/mnt/user/appdata/tvheadend":"/config":rw -v "/mnt/user/Aufnahmen/":"/recordings":rw -v "/mnt/user/appdata/tvheadend/logos":"/logos":rw --device=/dev/dvb/ linuxserver/tvheadend:29

Thanks,

chvb

Thanks man, I'm just playing around with TV stuff so I'll try it here.  ;)

• Like 1