[Support] Linuxserver.io - TVHeadend

1 hour ago, biiiink said:

One more question.

Is there a way to setup a cronjob in TVheadend to download the xml file and replace it, to keep the guide up to date?

That will get wiped every time you update your container, so best thing is to do it on unraid. There is a plugin to run scripts you could install. 

• 2 weeks later...

hi there.

i have the tvheadend docker installed and configured, it worked good .....

.... until after a while i get this:

2017-12-08 21:20:42.355 linuxdvb: STV0367 DVB-C DVB-T #0 : DVB-C #0 - poll TIMEOUT
2017-12-08 21:20:50.014 linuxdvb: STV0367 DVB-C DVB-T #0 : DVB-C #0 - poll TIMEOUT
2017-12-08 21:20:57.672 linuxdvb: STV0367 DVB-C DVB-T #0 : DVB-C #0 - poll TIMEOUT
2017-12-08 21:21:05.330 linuxdvb: STV0367 DVB-C DVB-T #0 : DVB-C #0 - poll TIMEOUT

on all 4 tuners from my digital device cinetv..  one after the next is dying! 

after a reboot from unraid it is ok for a while. until the tuners have to work again.

Unbenannt.PNG

Edited by himisk71
15 minutes ago, himisk71 said:

hi there.

i have the tvheadend docker installed and configured, it worked good .....

.... until after a while i get this:

2017-12-08 21:20:42.355 linuxdvb: STV0367 DVB-C DVB-T #0 : DVB-C #0 - poll TIMEOUT
2017-12-08 21:20:50.014 linuxdvb: STV0367 DVB-C DVB-T #0 : DVB-C #0 - poll TIMEOUT
2017-12-08 21:20:57.672 linuxdvb: STV0367 DVB-C DVB-T #0 : DVB-C #0 - poll TIMEOUT
2017-12-08 21:21:05.330 linuxdvb: STV0367 DVB-C DVB-T #0 : DVB-C #0 - poll TIMEOUT

on all 4 tuners from my digital device cinetv..  one after the next is dying! 

after a reboot from unraid it is ok for a while. until the tuners have to work again.

Unbenannt.PNG

Tried this?  You haven't mentioned how you have ddbridge.conf configured.  

• Upvote 1

Ok, now is only one thing left. all is working very well except some entrys in the log from the unraid:

Dec 9 16:22:30 tower shfs: error: shfs_rmdir, 1511: Directory not empty (39): rmdir: /mnt/cache/appdata/tvheadend/timeshift/buffer/2
Dec 9 16:22:30 tower shfs: error: shfs_rmdir, 1511: Directory not empty (39): rmdir: /mnt/cache/appdata/tvheadend/timeshift/buffer/2

ok, i have now really a problem.

i did install the tvh docker about 10 times today with channel search etc. because of the following i can reproduce:

delete the tvh docker with image.

install new docker.

configure tvh with channelsearch.

record a channel few minutes.

try to play the recorded in the webgui (through external player vlc) OR play a recording with tvhclient.

it will come an error message from vlc and something crashed (i will logout from tvh in the same second)

error message in the unraid log:

Dec 13 18:57:42 tower kernel: traps: tvh:tcp-start[13124] general protection ip:56143abd62c9 sp:152b07181da0 error:0 in tvheadend[56143aa5f000+38c000]

i delete the docker.img, i delete all configs in appdata, i do the whole day nothing other then try to get this working. can someone help me?

Unbenannt.PNG

Unbenannt2.PNG

Edited by himisk71
37 minutes ago, himisk71 said:

i did install the tvh docker about 10 times today with channel search etc. because of the following i can reproduce:

install new docker.

try to play the recorded in the webgui (through external player vlc) OR play a recording with tvhclient.

it will come an error message from vlc and something crashed (i will logout from tvh in the same second)

error message in the unraid log:

Dec 13 18:57:42 tower kernel: traps: tvh:tcp-start[13124] general protection ip:56143abd62c9 sp:152b07181da0 error:0 in tvheadend[56143aa5f000+38c000]

i delete the docker.img, i delete all configs in appdata, i do the whole day nothing other then try to get this working. can someone help me?

Unbenannt.PNG

Unbenannt2.PNG

Try using the latest branch when installing. It's most likely a bug in tvheadend.

4 minutes ago, himisk71 said:

install new docker.

try to play the recorded in the webgui (through external player vlc)

would like to see a solution to this problem as well. it is a longstanding (tvheadend) bug.

awhile ago i tried to dig up informations about this error and read on a site (can't say which any longer) something like "it needs to have transcoding support to be compiled in". maybe the linuxserver.io team (@saarg?) could confirm this. at least it would be a straw to grasp.

3 minutes ago, s.Oliver said:

would like to see a solution to this problem as well. it is a longstanding (tvheadend) bug.

awhile ago i tried to dig up informations about this error and read on a site (can't say which any longer) something like "it needs to have transcoding support to be compiled in". maybe the linuxserver.io team (@saarg?) could confirm this. at least it would be a straw to grasp.

If you want a bug in tvheadend fixed, you need to post it at the tvheadend site. Nothing we can do with it.

Tvheadend is compiled with support for transcoding. 

1 minute ago, saarg said:

Then you need to make a bug report at the tvheadend site as we don't develop the software.

no complaints here, i can't compare this docker version against a normal installation.

it would be tempting to know (or learn), if the same version installed on a 'comparable' linux distro would yield the same problems, or not. or in an docker on another distro, to see, if we get the same crash.

like @himisk71 said, his vm installation worked flawless. now what is the difference then?

i would say it's a bit unlikely, that all versions show the same bug/crash and that nobody from the programmers have heard of it, nor did they want to fix it. that would be a major drawback for the whole tvheadend project.

could it be a docker (on our unRAID) implementations problem?

i can playback recordings with kodi on embedded boxes (using the tvheadend plug-in) from the very same tvh-docker instance.

@linuxserver.io team: no complaints against you guys. great work. with every build. thanks for that, it's appreciated alot here. but it would be cool, to get this nasty bug eliminated.

1 minute ago, saarg said:

Then you need to make a bug report at the tvheadend site as we don't develop the software.

But i think they will say its a docker problem (or tvh  with  docker problem) as tvh will work as expect in a normal installation. 

Nevertheless lots of thanks!  but i think i will turn back to a vm.

8 minutes ago, himisk71 said:

But i think they will say its a docker problem (or tvh  with  docker problem) as tvh will work as expect in a normal installation. 

Nevertheless lots of thanks!  but i think i will turn back to a vm.

could you please provide some informations, as how you setup this VM?

do you follow a guide to install/compile tvheadend?

i did everytime a fresh docker install.

i use the docker "Linuxserver.io - TVHeadend"

docker configuration like my older post the attached image + "--device=/dev/dvb" in the extra parameter for my "dd cine tv"

search for channels 

tvheadend "/recordings/ for the records

i mean nothing really special. like i do often before. 

can i do some logging that can help?

Unbenannt3.PNG

Unbenannt4.PNG

Unbenannt5.PNG

Just now, himisk71 said:

i did everytime a fresh docker install.

i use the docker "Linuxserver.io - TVHeadend"

docker configuration like my older post the attached image + "--device=/dev/dvb" in the extra parameter for my "dd cine tv"

search for channels 

tvheadend "/recordings/ for the records

i mean nothing really special. like i do often before. 

can i do some logging that can help?

oh no, not for docker on unRAID. i meant, when you setup a VM on unRAID and installing TVH inside the VM.

so which template you choose for the VM, which hardware specs you give it (ram, cores, etc.), which linux distro/version you install and on top of that how would you install/compile TVH then?

39 minutes ago, s.Oliver said:

no complaints here, i can't compare this docker version against a normal installation.

it would be tempting to know (or learn), if the same version installed on a 'comparable' linux distro would yield the same problems, or not. or in an docker on another distro, to see, if we get the same crash.

like @himisk71 said, his vm installation worked flawless. now what is the difference then?

i would say it's a bit unlikely, that all versions show the same bug/crash and that nobody from the programmers have heard of it, nor did they want to fix it. that would be a major drawback for the whole tvheadend project.

could it be a docker (on our unRAID) implementations problem?

i can playback recordings with kodi on embedded boxes (using the tvheadend plug-in) from the very same tvh-docker instance.

@linuxserver.io team: no complaints against you guys. great work. with every build. thanks for that, it's appreciated alot here. but it would be cool, to get this nasty bug eliminated.

Our tvheadend container is based on Alpine Linux that uses musl instead of glibc, so that might be the reason it worked in his VM and not in the container. The developer of tvheadend will most likely find the bug if you file it. He will most likely ask you to gather data so he can find the issue, so be prepared. 

1 hour ago, saarg said:

Our tvheadend container is based on Alpine Linux that uses musl instead of glibc, so that might be the reason it worked in his VM and not in the container. The developer of tvheadend will most likely find the bug if you file it. He will most likely ask you to gather data so he can find the issue, so be prepared. 

well i could try to help (as much as i can, but not a real linux guy – will probably limit my possibilities).

but then could we try another approach first? could we built (for testing purposes only) a version of the TVH container, which is based on another linux, which then has glibc? if that one would show the same bug = probably a TVH bug, but if not (and it works) it's not a TVH bug (and somehow i imagine it's like that).

@saarg: great thought/idea, that it's maybe because of the glibc vs musl (may i ask if you guys had similar experiences with other containers build on alpine linux?)

Edited by s.Oliver

10 hours ago, s.Oliver said:

oh no, not for docker on unRAID. i meant, when you setup a VM on unRAID and installing TVH inside the VM.

so which template you choose for the VM, which hardware specs you give it (ram, cores, etc.), which linux distro/version you install and on top of that how would you install/compile TVH then?

i can, but i have to work today - so in the next 1,2 days!  I am not really good @linux but the overal things how i install tvh in a vm i can do..