[Support] Linuxserver.io - TVHeadend

12 hours ago, s.Oliver said:

well i could try to help (as much as i can, but not a real linux guy – will probably limit my possibilities).

but then could we try another approach first? could we built (for testing purposes only) a version of the TVH container, which is based on another linux, which then has glibc? if that one would show the same bug = probably a TVH bug, but if not (and it works) it's not a TVH bug (and somehow i imagine it's like that).

@saarg: great thought/idea, that it's maybe because of the glibc vs musl (may i ask if you guys had similar experiences with other containers build on alpine linux?)

You can try to add :xenial_test in the repository field. It's a test we did 7 months ago. 

But thinking back, I think I didn't find this on my own tvheadend container when you mentioned it the last time? It was Ubuntu based. 

Edited by saarg
7 hours ago, saarg said:

You can try to add :xenial_test in the repository field. It's a test we did 7 months ago. 

But thinking back, I think I didn't find this on my own tvheadend container when you mentioned it the last time? It was Ubuntu based. 

BREAKING NEWS --- g o o d  b r e a k i n g  n e w s

i followed @saarg's tip to try that xenial_test docker; low and behold (ah well, i had that feeling in the stomach area) it finally works.

the docker had TVHeadend 4.3-48~g633744d version installed

– tried to run it with my pre-populated appdata folder (TVH 4.2.x) but it error'ed in a loop because of not being able to create a backup with the /bin/tar command (this worked however with 4.2.x and latest:4.3.x versions)

– did then a clean setup

this resulted in:

– any recorded file could be played back perfectly (click on play icon downloads these small files) which then (can be/or are automatically) opened by VLC and playback starts
 – you can change playback position to anywhere in the recording
 – even while a program is recorded, you can (live tune-in)-playback the same channel without interruption of the recording

alerts
 - [ ALERT] settings: Unable to create dir "/config": File exists
   (this seems to log always 3 times in a row when a playback/or recording starts)

so this seems to be the solution (glibc vs. musl) to have a great (much improved) TVH experience; right here on unRAID :)

Edited by s.Oliver
  • Like 1

hmm… no reaction (beside himisk71)?

dare i ask the logical question?

would it be possible to get a docker version of TVHeadend, based (like tested) on Ubuntu, or any other distribution (of docker builders choice) which fits the obvious glibc requirement?

i (and i'm sure a big bunch of other users) would absolutely appreciate this effort, as we all get a fully functional TVHeadend. and… as a side benefit to the linuxserver.io team, no more questions about these crashes (so no one could think, it's a defect in the docker provided).

wouldn't that be a great christmas present to the unRAID community?

as a reminder to all users who benefit of the great generous work of the linuxserver.io team: they accept donations.

Edited by s.Oliver
4 minutes ago, s.Oliver said:

dare i ask the logical question?

would it be possible to get a docker version of TVHeadend, based (like tested) on Ubuntu, or any other distribution (of docker builders choice) which fits the obvious glibc requirement?

i (and i'm sure a big bunch of other users) would absolutely appreciate this effort, as we all get a fully functional TVHeadend. and… as a side benefit to the linuxserver.io team, no more questions about these crashes (so no one could think, it's a defect in the docker provided).

wouldn't that be a great christmas present to the unRAID community?

It would be better that the bug is fixed,  wouldn't it? ;-)

1 hour ago, saarg said:

Very likely if you file a bug report to the tvheadend guys. :)

i certainly won't make it in time before all the christmas days are over. but then, i'll try a shot at the devs.

@saarg: please be prepared and (hopefully) find a little time to help me out, when they get back to me with questions, i can't answer 9_9

but anyway, i can't imagine, that over at least 1,5 years in time this bug has stopped the full potential of TVH (for all docker installations around the world) and nobody (nor the developers for themselves) got a hold of it. but then, maybe not too much dockers are based on Alpine Linux? i got no idea, what is (if it exists in any way) the commonly used linux distribution for dockers; or let's rephrase that to: which is the most used linux distro for TVH dockers? if this doesn't show the bug, they probably don't care.

Edited by s.Oliver
2 hours ago, saarg said:

hi, sorry but had much trouble @work and the christmas time, but.....

i created a docker like you with the test build and must say : no errors, recordings work great, no transport errors or something while recording.. 

in short words: fantastic!!

so, because my girlfriend is a heavy user of recordings and live-tv i will test one more days with this build to see if errors will come or not. 

Ok, no problems so far! docker is working good. Only the tvheadend is not the best choice, because around this version (4.3-48) it comes to problems with lagging on some channels with the following spamming logs:

2017-12-17 07:56:40.975 [WARNING] parser: DVB-C Netzwerk/642MHz/zdf_neo HD: DVBSUB @ #540: PTS and PCR diff is very large (400498)

this was solved since around version ~ 4.3-100 i think.  so it has nothing to do with the docker.

Edited by himisk71
5 hours ago, himisk71 said:

Ok, no problems so far! docker is working good. Only the tvheadend is not the best choice, because around this version (4.3-48) it comes to problems with lagging on some channels with the following spamming logs:

2017-12-17 07:56:40.975 [WARNING] parser: DVB-C Netzwerk/642MHz/zdf_neo HD: DVBSUB @ #540: PTS and PCR diff is very large (400498)

this was solved since around version ~ 4.3-100 i think.  so it has nothing to do with the docker.

ya, had these good results as well. well...

I'm hoping somebody here can help me out because I've been trying all day with no luck. I live in Indianapolis and I'm trying to setup TVHeadEnd for the first time to get my OTA channels, but for some reason it won't scan my local ATSC-T channels. I think I've setup everything correctly with my Hauppauge quadHD but whenever I perform a scan it doesn't find any channels. I know it should be able to see all the channels because I setup the DVR in Plex and it found 35 channels and they streamed fine.

mWsZnCB.png

qJrCTIq.png

1unSoL0.png

17 hours ago, saarg said:

I don't know anything about ATSC, but are you sure you choose the correct predefined muxes? 

You used Plex on the same server? If you do, make sure the dvb card is not still passed through to the Plex container.

I think I finally figured it out. First off, I deleted the PVR setup in Plex but I forgot to remove the dvb passthrough parameter from the docker so thank you for that advice! Secondly when doing initial network scan I had to only use 1 ATSC-T tuner, for some reason if I used multiple tuners it would fail, so I now have all the channels listed!

Now my next question, I am a complete novice when it comes to linux and tvheadend (I was using nextPVR with schedules direct on Windows before). Is there a good step by step guide anywhere for how to setup an EPG grabber for tvheadend in unraid?

8 hours ago, Yousty said:

I think I finally figured it out. First off, I deleted the PVR setup in Plex but I forgot to remove the dvb passthrough parameter from the docker so thank you for that advice! Secondly when doing initial network scan I had to only use 1 ATSC-T tuner, for some reason if I used multiple tuners it would fail, so I now have all the channels listed!

Now my next question, I am a complete novice when it comes to linux and tvheadend (I was using nextPVR with schedules direct on Windows before). Is there a good step by step guide anywhere for how to setup an EPG grabber for tvheadend in unraid?

You have to set up the xml TV grabber in the grabber section of the config. You might need to change the view level to something else than basic in the general tab to see the grabber tabs. 

The grabber you want for schedules direct is tv_grab_zz_sdjson. Enable that one and pay attention to the path to the grabber. You'll need it later. 

Now you need to SSH to your server and follow the instructions in the xmltv section of the Readme on github. You'll find the link in the first post of this thread. 

On 12/22/2017 at 8:26 PM, Yousty said:

I'm also using ATSC-T and am just using the the over-the-air EPG info the broadcasters are required to send. It's only something like 48 hours, but it's free.

Configuration -> Channel / EPG -> EPG Grabber Modules

The only grabber I have enabled is

Over-the-air: PSIP: ATSC Grabber

On 12/23/2017 at 4:53 AM, saarg said:

You have to set up the xml TV grabber in the grabber section of the config. You might need to change the view level to something else than basic in the general tab to see the grabber tabs. 

The grabber you want for schedules direct is tv_grab_zz_sdjson. Enable that one and pay attention to the path to the grabber. You'll need it later. 

Now you need to SSH to your server and follow the instructions in the xmltv section of the Readme on github. You'll find the link in the first post of this thread. 

Well I think I did everything correctly, but for some reason it's not pulling data from Schedules Direct. I ran the command instructed on github and used all the default responses:

root@NAS:~# docker exec -it -u abc tvheadend /usr/bin/tv_grab_zz_sdjson --configure
Name "Params::Validate::NO_VALIDATION" used only once: possible typo at /usr/bin/tv_grab_zz_sdjson line 238.
Cache file for lineups, schedules and programs.
Cache file: [/config/.xmltv/tv_grab_zz_sdjson.cache]
If you are migrating from a different grabber selecting an alternate channel ID format can make the migration easier.
Select channel ID format:
0: Default Format (eg: I12345.json.schedulesdirect.org)
1: tv_grab_na_dd Format (eg: I12345.labs.zap2it.com)
2: MythTV Internal DD Grabber Format (eg: 12345)
Select one: [0,1,2 (default=0)]
As the JSON data only includes the previously shown date normally the XML output should only have the date. However some programs such as older versions of MythTV also need a time.
Select previously shown format:
0: Date Only
1: Date And Time
Select one: [0,1 (default=0)]
Schedules Direct username.
Username: *******
Schedules Direct password.
Password: *******
** POST https://json.schedulesdirect.org/20141201/token ==> 200 OK (1s)
** GET https://json.schedulesdirect.org/20141201/status ==> 200 OK
** GET https://json.schedulesdirect.org/20141201/lineups ==> 200 OK
This step configures the lineups enabled for your Schedules Direct account. It impacts all other configurations and programs using the JSON API with your account. A maximum of 4 lineups can by added to your account. In a later step you will choose which lineups or channels to actually use for this configuration.
Current lineups enabled for your Schedules Direct account:
#. Lineup ID | Name | Location | Transport
1. USA-OTA-46077 | Local Over the Air Broadcast | 46077 | Antenna
Edit account lineups: [continue,add,delete (default=continue)]
Choose whether you want to include complete lineups or individual channels for this configuration.
Select mode: [lineups,channels (default=lineups)]
** GET https://json.schedulesdirect.org/20141201/lineups ==> 200 OK (1s)
Choose lineups to use for this configuration.
USA-OTA-46077 [yes,no,all,none (default=no)]
Select the channels that you want to receive data for.
root@NAS:~# 

Then I enabled that module and disabled OTA ATSC Grabber like so:

PldcG0x.png

And it appears to have automatically correctly mapped everything according to this tab:

LL7w2bD.png

But then no data is showing in the EPG in tvheadend or in Kodi. Any suggestions on what I may be doing wrong or step I missed?

7 hours ago, mathgeek97 said:

I'm also using ATSC-T and am just using the the over-the-air EPG info the broadcasters are required to send. It's only something like 48 hours, but it's free.

Configuration -> Channel / EPG -> EPG Grabber Modules

The only grabber I have enabled is

Over-the-air: PSIP: ATSC Grabber

Yeah, I used that for awhile but I always found the data to be lacking and not always correct. To me Schedules Direct is worth the $20 per year.

Hi all i am curious how much CPU is TVheadend docker using?

I have my first UNRAID BOX built with a CPU E3-1245 v5 @ 3.50GHz

I installed Emby docker last night but really disappointed with the high CPU usage when trans-coding +70% CPU with one stream.

I have 2 HD Home Runs and looking to use TVheadend as my PVR for them. My understanding is that it will still transcode from the HD Home Runs so i am curious how much CPU you use and also any specs of your CPU / Box if its working well :)

Thanks! 

1 hour ago, Frostyfruit said:

Hi all i am curious how much CPU is TVheadend docker using?

I have my first UNRAID BOX built with a CPU E3-1245 v5 @ 3.50GHz

I installed Emby docker last night but really disappointed with the high CPU usage when trans-coding +70% CPU with one stream.

I have 2 HD Home Runs and looking to use TVheadend as my PVR for them. My understanding is that it will still transcode from the HD Home Runs so i am curious how much CPU you use and also any specs of your CPU / Box if its working well :)

Thanks! 

Tvheadend only transcode if you tell it to.

5 hours ago, Frostyfruit said:

Thanks saarg, 

Any experience with CPU usage within UNRAID?

I am trying to make the decision with I stick with the docker + TVheadend (and go through the learning curve)

Or stick with what I know and just set up a VM with Next PVR on my Esxi Server or UNRAID as a VM

here a small example, 1080i source to 720p, matroska, it will depend from source to target ... 4 threads active for unraid, i 7-7700, base cpu is ~ 3 %.

image.png.6a75bb3442861c453982b0b7f977c663.png 

image.thumb.png.2bd22aa6478737423881c114dfea85a1.png

8 hours ago, Frostyfruit said:

Thanks saarg, 

Any experience with CPU usage within UNRAID?

I am trying to make the decision with I stick with the docker + TVheadend (and go through the learning curve)

Or stick with what I know and just set up a VM with Next PVR on my Esxi Server or UNRAID as a VM

Tvheadend doesn't use much CPU. Using docker will also use less resources than a VM.

4 hours ago, alturismo said:

here a small example, 1080i source to 720p, matroska, it will depend from source to target ... 4 threads active for unraid, i 7-7700, base cpu is ~ 3 %. 

alturismo,

i'm using TVH extensively for recording (as docker) and you barely can tell on cpu usage if it's recording or not. all functions except transcoding are extrem low on cpu usage.

transcoding uses lots of cpu in any solution (i tested emby, plex and a few other solutions). so you need to avoid it.

but: TVH offers quite a few possibilities; for example you can use VLC, or KODI (with TVH Plug-In) or the iOS app to watch live-TV and all without transcoding! it's also pretty cheap to grab a small android box with KODI/TVH plug-in and have a full blown TV appliance.

from an DVR solution point i wouldn't go back to any other solution (at least not on unRAID – and i wouldn't exchange unRAID for any other storage solution). you get quite a bunch of possibilities within one package and the community is great.

Edited by s.Oliver
  • Like 1

@s.Oliver, me too ;) and yes, without transcoding theres almost no usage ...

and i also tested the transcoding featiures, just as note OT, if possible the intel quicksync with plex is working really nice here with hardware transcoding, just as note ...

my example was for @Frostyfruit cause he asked about it with transcoding ...

so, Plex hardware transcode or TVH software transcode is my personal favour if needed.

Plex software transcode was really bad here, TVH is quite good with transcoding and comskip on cpu usage (personally dont use it anymore since plex hardware transcode).

Edited by alturismo