[Support] Linuxserver.io - TVHeadend

I have to set this to run in host networking mode for it to see my hdhomerun tuner but all of a sudden the fix common problems plugin is flagging this as a problem and doesn't seem to work want to ignore the error. I have tried changing the type to host either via the drop down menu or by adding "--net=host" as an extra parameter to the docker run command.

Is there a way around this to stop it generating the errors? I've had it set like this forever as far as I remember so not sure why it's suddenly decided to become an issue.

11 minutes ago, allanp81 said:

I have to set this to run in host networking mode for it to see my hdhomerun tuner but all of a sudden the fix common problems plugin is flagging this as a problem and doesn't seem to work want to ignore the error. I have tried changing the type to host either via the drop down menu or by adding "--net=host" as an extra parameter to the docker run command.

Is there a way around this to stop it generating the errors? I've had it set like this forever as far as I remember so not sure why it's suddenly decided to become an issue.

This is more of an issue with the fix common problems plugin rather than our container.

2 minutes ago, saarg said:

What do you use as a client? Might be a problem with the client. 

I use Kodi V18 latest builds on Mibox 3 and Fire TVs i.e. Android devices - the Kodi android problems with live tv have been solved in the latest V18 builds, but recorded tv is still a problem for me and I was wondering if that's because I'm recording using pass, when I should be using htsp or mkv....

I've read that mkv has problems with skipping when you watch a recording that's in progress, so I was wondering what other users were doing.  I've asked on the TVH forums, but it's fairly dead over there so trying here as I knew I'd get responses.

6 hours ago, DZMM said:

I use Kodi V18 latest builds on Mibox 3 and Fire TVs i.e. Android devices - the Kodi android problems with live tv have been solved in the latest V18 builds, but recorded tv is still a problem for me and I was wondering if that's because I'm recording using pass, when I should be using htsp or mkv....

I've read that mkv has problems with skipping when you watch a recording that's in progress, so I was wondering what other users were doing.  I've asked on the TVH forums, but it's fairly dead over there so trying here as I knew I'd get responses.

I don't watch recordings in progress, so can't say anything about it. 

I record to mkv as it support chapters, which is used for marking commercials on some channels in tvheadend. (Here in Norway, don't know other countries).

The quality is the same with pass and mkv, just different container.

HTSP is only a protocol to talk to tvheadend for the client. The tvheadend plugin in Kodi uses HTSP. 

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, DZMM said:

me again..I upgraded to 6.5.0rc1 last night and my cards aren't showing in tvh.  Double-checked with @CHBMB that the drivers have loaded and also by temporarily installing the dvblink docker where the cards were working.  Also tried deleting the image and installing a 2nd temp instance - still no joy

Anybody else having recent problems?

highlander-diagnostics-20180302-1027.zip

You again... :D

Can you give me the docker run command? 

6 minutes ago, saarg said:

sorry, as you know I'm not technical so not sure how to do that but here are my docker settings. 

It was all working fine (apart from iffy kodi recordings which seem to have been resolved in the latest kodi builds - tried mkv (didn't like not being able to watch while in progress) and went back to pass and all ok) although I did notice this morning when I went to check there was a 2nd empty non-mandatory 'Recordings' field had been created - I just deleted it as I had my own, and I don't think this is the problem as I did a fresh install and the tuners weren't appearing there either5a995062cdb7e_FireShotCapture60-Highlander_UpdateContainer_-https___1d087a25aac48109ee9a15217a.thumb.png.1a6949b2eac8a44a7af48d9c0899969d.png

5 hours ago, DZMM said:

sorry, as you know I'm not technical so not sure how to do that but here are my docker settings. 

It was all working fine (apart from iffy kodi recordings which seem to have been resolved in the latest kodi builds - tried mkv (didn't like not being able to watch while in progress) and went back to pass and all ok) although I did notice this morning when I went to check there was a 2nd empty non-mandatory 'Recordings' field had been created - I just deleted it as I had my own, and I don't think this is the problem as I did a fresh install and the tuners weren't appearing there either

ok, I've tried rebooting and completely removing everything including my appdata and doing a fresh install, and still no tv cards appearing.  Double-checked again by installing dvblink and the cards are appearing there.

Going to post in the Rc1 forum as I think that's the problem as nothing else has changed in the last 24 hours except that upgrade.

6 hours ago, saarg said:

worked out where this was (duh) - here you go:

root@localhost:# /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/scripts/docker run -d --name='tvheadend' --net='br0.33' --ip='192.168.30.96' -e TZ="Europe/London" -e HOST_OS="unRAID" -e 'PGID'='100' -e 'PUID'='99' -e 'TCP_PORT_9981'='9981' -e 'TCP_PORT_9982'='9982' -v '/mnt/cache/appdata/tvheadend':'/config':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/tv_recordings/':'/recordings':'rw' --device=/dev/dvb 'linuxserver/tvheadend'
744f7370397caaeb08424a0466da013d25b1cf1c8804b454ba1839afd6d66d36

worked out where this was (duh) - here you go:

root@localhost:# /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/scripts/docker run -d --name='tvheadend' --net='br0.33' --ip='192.168.30.96' -e TZ="Europe/London" -e HOST_OS="unRAID" -e 'PGID'='100' -e 'PUID'='99' -e 'TCP_PORT_9981'='9981' -e 'TCP_PORT_9982'='9982' -v '/mnt/cache/appdata/tvheadend':'/config':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/tv_recordings/':'/recordings':'rw' --device=/dev/dvb 'linuxserver/tvheadend'744f7370397caaeb08424a0466da013d25b1cf1c8804b454ba1839afd6d66d36

Have you tried just running tvh as host rather than on a separate IP?

As I've said it's nothing to do with RC1 itself. It can't be as far as I can tell. Drivers are loaded and another DVB container is working.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, CHBMB said:

Have you tried just running tvh as host rather than on a separate IP?

As I've said it's nothing to do with RC1 itself. It can't be as far as I can tell. Drivers are loaded and another DVB container is working.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

yes - tried that as well.  With and without ip assigned works for dvblink

12 hours ago, CHBMB said:

Try a different TVH version, use one of the tagged releases.

https://github.com/linuxserver/docker-tvheadend#tags

@DZMM Have been away for work the whole week and haven't had time to answer, but I agree with @CHBMB that it has nothing to do with unraid. Try using the release-4.2 branch as the latest tag gives you the development branch with heavy development at this time. Stuff will break.

Could you give me the output of the below commands. 

ls -la /dev/dvb

docker exec -it tvheadend ls -la /dev/dvb

27 minutes ago, saarg said:

@DZMM Have been away for work the whole week and haven't had time to answer, but I agree with @CHBMB that it has nothing to do with unraid. Try using the release-4.2 branch as the latest tag gives you the development branch with heavy development at this time. Stuff will break.

Could you give me the output of the below commands. 

ls -la /dev/dvb

docker exec -it tvheadend ls -la /dev/dvb

Ahh, I didn't release that 'latest' meant 'unstable' in tvheadend's world - might be worth changing the text in the docker from latest to unstable:

Build Type Description Version Repo Component
release The latest version marked for release 4.2.5 release-4.2
stable The latest stable code with changes/fixes between releases 4.2.5-x~githash stable-4.2
unstable This is the current development "bleeding-edge" 4.3.x unstable

I was wondering why no-one else was piping up with problems.  I just tried moving to linuxserver/tvheadend:release-4.2, but I'm getting an error that's stopping it starting:

[ ERROR] caclient: wrong class caclient_dvbcam!

A quick google said this is something to do with using a 4.3 config in 4.2 - once I've worked out how to fix I'll have another go, but I'm guessing that given I'm the only one with problems it means the 4.3 builds don't work with 6.5.0rc1. 

To be honest I've always been on unstable and this is the first time it's not worked, so it could be something to keep an eye on.

Will report back

Edited by DZMM
42 minutes ago, DZMM said:

Ahh, I didn't release that 'latest' meant 'unstable' in tvheadend's world - might be worth changing the text in the docker from latest to unstable:

Build Type Description Version Repo Component
release The latest version marked for release 4.2.5 release-4.2
stable The latest stable code with changes/fixes between releases 4.2.5-x~githash stable-4.2
unstable This is the current development "bleeding-edge" 4.3.x unstable

I was wondering why no-one else was piping up with problems.  I just tried moving to linuxserver/tvheadend:release-4.2, but I'm getting an error that's stopping it starting:

[ ERROR] caclient: wrong class caclient_dvbcam!

A quick google said this is something to do with using a 4.3 config in 4.2 - once I've worked out how to fix I'll have another go, but I'm guessing that given I'm the only one with problems it means the 4.3 builds don't work with 6.5.0rc1. 

To be honest I've always been on unstable and this is the first time it's not worked, so it could be something to keep an eye on.

Will report back

Latest means latest, 4.2 isn't latest, but stable. The latest tag have been the development branch from the release of this container. 

You should use a fresh appdata when going back to a previous version as there are a lot of changes in the development. 

Edited by saarg
6 minutes ago, saarg said:

Latest means latest 4.2 isn't latest, but stable. The latest tag have been the development branch from the release of this container. 

You should use a fresh appdata when going back to a previous version as there are a lot of changes in the development. 

When I installed my docker I chose 'Default' which is described as 'Install Using The Template's Default Tag :latest'.  I went with default as it seemed safer.

From what you've said, this should be 4.2.x but I've got 4.3.x - so something's not right in the description.

I'll do a fresh install now using 'release-4.2' not 'Default'