[Support] Linuxserver.io - TVHeadend

35 minutes ago, Marv said:

Switched from the Tvheadend plugin to this container and noticed that the currently logged in user, the logout button and the available space is not shown next to the ribbons in the webUI. Is this intended or a bug in the current container version?

This has nothing to do with the container. It's either browser specific or a change in TVheadend. 

I think the plugin uses the stable 4.2 releases and if you just chose the latest tag when installing the container, you installed the 4.3 development branch. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

This docker is causing me problems with the size of the cookie. If I don't block the cookie from TVHeadEnd, I'm getting 400 "Bad Request" on sabnzbd and tautulli. I need to erase my cookies to enter the webgui of sab and tautulli. I think it's caused by the framework cherrypy.

Anyone know how to fix it?

I found this thread on the TVHeadEnd forum form 2015, I think this is exactly my problem : https://tvheadend.org/issues/2706

Regards,

Ben

• 1 month later...

Im facing an issue with my TVH Docker - i have watchtower running beside the TVH which checks for updates ...I think i didnt used TVH for a while and yesterday I want to rec something but the GUI shows just the blue background and down the aarows for live logs - in live logs it shows couldnt connect to TVH... what could i do ? 

Edited by xsasx
Im facing an issue with my TVH Docker - i have watchtower running beside the TVH which checks for updates ...I think i didnt used TVH for a while and yesterday I want to rec something but the GUI shows just the blue background and down the aarows for live logs - in live logs it shows couldnt connect to TVH... what could i do ? 
Post logs, reinstall, restart are all reasonable possibilities.

Can't really help much more than that based on what you've posted.

I posted this in the linuxserver.io forum, then after reading their posts, found out this is the thread specific to unraid - so re-posting here.

Newby linux / docker person here. I am testing an unraid system to consolidate my old NAS and windows system onto one central system. I have knocked up the unraid system on spare parts to test the solution (3 x 3TB, 2 x 4TB, 1 x 256Gb SSD). All shares and media content is added. I have added dockers for Emby beta, TVHeadend, sonarr and Deluge. All that seems to be working fine.

I am running the TV recordings in parallel - but the guide data is where I am stuck as the FTA guide stuff in Australia is rubbish and all over the place, 
My issue is interpretting the linux instructions I have for my XML TV Guide service (iceTV) into the TVHeadend docker - i.e the xml grabber stuff. 
I dont understand the differences between a linux distro and the docker bit of it - I have raised this to IceTV also - but I only have 1 month of unraid license before I have to pay for it or dump it - There is 23 days left for me to decide one way or another. 
The linux instructions state the following - I have put my comments/questions with *** next to them if someone can assist :

Install the 'xmltv' package (for example using Ubuntu the command would be 'sudo apt-get install xmltv')
*** I dont think I do this in a docker.... so I am lost here before I start really - I suspect if I had this 'XML grabber' showing in TV Headend I would be OK with the rest.

Download the IceTV XMLTV based grabber from Where can I download the IceTV perl grabber?
*** I have downloaded this script

Copy the grabber script to the '/usr/bin/' folder (or the folder where the rest of the grabber scripts from XMLTV are located) and made it executable ('chmod +x /usr/bin/tv_grab_au_icetv')
*** I dont think I can do this in a docker can I ? Where would that folder be ?

Run the script as the TvHeadend User (*** What is the tvheadend user in the docker ?)
By default on Ubuntu this would be 'hts', so its 'sudo su - hts'
Then to configure the script 'tv_grab_au_icetv --configure'
Enter your email address and password when asked, if you don't already have an IceTV account it will create one for you when configuring the grabber script.
Press enter once the channel list has been displayed
Restart TvHeadend to have it pick up the new options ('sudo service tvheadend restart')
*** I believe from now on, I would be OK - it is the stuff above here I am uncertain of.

Within TvHeadend go to the Configuration tab, then select the "Channel / EPG" subtab, then the "EPG Grabber Modules" tab under that.
Look down the list for "Internal: XMLTV: Australia (IceTV)" under the list of grabbers and select it.
Ensure that "View level: Expert" is set from the menu on the right hand side (click it to change it to Expert if not already).
Under the Parameters list on the right hand side tick the "Enabled" checkbox, then change the Priority to '0'.
Click the "Save" button at the top and then "Re-run Internal EPG Grabbers".
On the "Channels" tab (once again under "Configuration" and then "Channel / EPG") edit each channel and select the correct IceTV channel in the "EPG Source" field, then click on "Save".

Thanks all and any in advance.

If you have read the Readme on github in the first link you already got a lot of the info of how to do this. Xmltv is already in the package. I haven't looked yet if the icetv script is already in the xmltv package, but I suspect not as they have a direct download. I could add it to the container though. 

In the mean time, you could just make a volume mount for that file only to /usr/bin/. 

Not sure if you need to specify the file name in the container path also. But this you will see quickly after starting the container. 

You should ask icetv to add their grabber to the xmltv package! Have you checked if there are already an Australian grabber in the package? 

Thanks for the reply.  I am not sure what I read, but it was certainly little help to me - I am not a linux person and it may have been too linuxy for me to understand.  My TV Headend configuration / Configuration/EPG has two tabs - EPG Grabber and EPG Grabber Modules.  EPG Grabber tab just has some scheduler stuff and two options - trigger OTA EPG and Re-RunInternal EPG Grabbers.   The EPG Grabber Modules tab has.......  hang on, there are tons of them there now - They were not there before......  I re-installed the docker this morning - must have come in there, strange.  I can see a load of internal ones, none are for Australia or IceTV specific so I will revisit the instructions again with the view of configuring that external one I guess.  Thanks.    

Hmmmm - im still not getting it.  

Instructions from iceTV for ubunto are thus :

https://support.icetv.com.au/hc/en-us/articles/360000177535-Setting-up-IceTV-with-TvHeadend

but I am stuck at the first bit -

1. Copy the grabber script to the '/usr/bin/' folder (or the folder where the rest of the grabber scripts from XMLTV are located) and made it executable ('chmod +x /usr/bin/tv_grab_au_icetv')

I cant find /usr/bin - I assume I shoud be looking in the appdata/tvheadend, but I really dont know for sure.

V.

8 hours ago, saarg said:

In the mean time, you could just make a volume mount for that file only to /usr/bin/. 

Not sure if you need to specify the file name in the container path also. But this you will see quickly after starting the container. 

Look in my quote for how to get the grabber mounted in /usr/bin in the container. The file system for a container and unraid are separate. 

hhhmmm - I am obviously just not getting this.

The first post is thus - I have notes below each with my questions :

Configuring XMLTV grabber

To configure the XMLTV grabber, first check if your grabber is listed in Configuration --> Channel/EPG --> EPG Grabber Modules. If it's listed, you will have to configure the grabber before enabling.

*** mine is not listed ***

Find the path in the path field of your grabber. We will use the last part. It starts with tv_grab_. Add it after /usr/bin/ in the below command. There should be no space between Usr/bin/ and the part you added.

docker exec -it -u abc tvheadend /usr/bin/for_you_to_fill_out --configure

*** as mine is not listed, I dont think I can do this ?

Now follow the onscreen progress. If you get asked about cache, just accept the default. After you have configured your grabber, you can go back and enable your grabber.

If you allready have a configuration file, you can add it in the .xmltv folder where you mapped the /config volume. If it's not created, create it.

*** I dont know what a configuration file is - I have downloaded a 'grabber' script from iceTV called tv_grab_au_icetv, and thier instructions suggest I would do something like this - docker exec -it -u abc tvheadend /usr/bin/tv_grab_au_icetv --configure.........  But I still have no idea where / how to add this script.

ok - more googling, and from another location, I found I can issue this command to get into the docker container :
docker exec -it tvheadend /bin/bash
and in there, I can do a cd /usr/bin
and then a ls tv* and I can see all these config grabber scripts.
How do I upload my one to this set ?  
I believe that may be the final step for me as it seems straight forward from there.

Ah, That is a great help.  never saw that in any googling.

So - is this correct :

Config type - Path

Name - ? Anything I like here ?

Container Path - /mnt/cache/appdata/tvheadend/

Host Path - /usr/bin/

Access mode - Read/Write.

Then I assume (not sure exactly), that I can copy the script for iceTV to the  /mnt/cache/appdata/tvheadend/ which I can do with my network shares to get the file there.

Then I can run that docker command to run it and configure it ?

1 minute ago, vw-kombi said:

Ah, That is a great help.  never saw that in any googling.

So - is this correct :

Config type - Path

Name - ? Anything I like here ?

Container Path - /mnt/cache/appdata/tvheadend/

Host Path - /usr/bin/

Access mode - Read/Write.

Then I assume (not sure exactly), that I can copy the script for iceTV to the  /mnt/cache/appdata/tvheadend/ which I can do with my network shares to get the file there.

Then I can run that docker command to run it and configure it ?

You are not doing it as we told you. @CHBMB already mentioned what to add in the host and contain er path.

You are missing the name of the file in your example. 

OK - I assumed that was the script I have to upload.

Sorry to get you guys to drop feed me this stuff - which is obviously second nature to you all, but completely new to me. 

Im sure if I was to explain what I do for a living to you guys you would not get it as that is second nature to me also.

So I add those two lines to the docker edit.

Then how do I get this script to the container that is currently in the downloads on my windows PC.

1 minute ago, vw-kombi said:

Sorry to get you guys to drop feed me this stuff - which is obviously second nature to you all, but completely new to me. 

Im sure if I was to explain what I do for a living to you guys you would not get it as that is second nature to me also.

So I add those two lines to the docker edit.

Then how do I get this script to the container that is currently in the downloads on my windows PC.

The whole point of the mount is to make the script available in the container. So you should have copied it to the host Path, which I see now is wrong. You have switched the host and container path. 

Copy the script to the appdata folder for tvheadend. Edit the mount so the paths are correct and post your docker run command here. How to get the run command is in my signature. 

I am obviously too thick for this docker stuff.

I don't know how to copy something to the 'host' /usr/bin - if I ssh into it as root, I can cd to that dir to there, but I cant seem to FTP anything to it - and isnt't that on the usb key for unraid - so may be lost in an update ?

As IceTV is a paid for service - costing me $5 a month, it is in their best interest in getting this working.  I have opened a support call with them and they are happy to postpone my guide subscription until whatever they need to do in the docker is done.

Worst case, if the FTA guide is no good,  I can just build a windows 10 VM on unraid and install just nextPVR on there - which I will do now as a backup solution anyway to test.

I have now added  the dvblink docker, and jeez - chalk and cheese from a setup / ease of use standpoint compare to TVHeadend. 

From docker install to adding 6 hdhr tuners, configuring my channels and even adding the xml iceTV guide - <20 minutes.  

I can see TVHeadend possibly wants to be all things to all people but really - you just want your tuners and recordings.

The web TV Guide is also  fine for me.  Emby plugin seems to work, but no recordings as yet.

They use the direct web url for the tvgide - same as emby and plex - which is so quick and easy.  no grabbing stuff.loads.

The wizard gude for the config - with drag and drop stuff - just easy as. 

Im not saying I am converting to this (it is outdated as there is a new version) and it has a cost - but as is the nature of the dockers, I can try out multiple solutions at the same time - or run them all side by side for review.

9 hours ago, vw-kombi said:

Just to point out, I don't work in IT, very far from it, I'm an amateur too.  Pretty sure if I explain what I do the same would stand. :)

In fact, these containers are from volunteers, this isn't a job for any of us.

Edited by CHBMB