PCIE x1 to x 16 adapter to add more GPUs

Aa617

So I have been experimenting with these and wanted to start a thread to discuss. My interest in them is I use a Xeon on a consumer board(e5 2670 on x79) which means I need one gpu just for unraid. I hate giving up a x16 slot for unraid when I almost never hook it up to a monitor. My use case works great. I am able to set the gpu in the adapter as the primary GPU which I have in the basement of my case completely out of site. This frees up a x16 slot for another GPU to be passed through to a VM.

A few additional points

The small X1 and usb3 connector while a snug fit and depends on the GPU can fit in a x1 slot under a 2 slot GPU

Depending on where you want to place the GPU there are a few variants of this set up... Different length of usb cables and size of the pcb that the x 16 slot is on. For my use I got one with a longer usb cable and a wider pcb that also had suction cup mounts for the four corners. If you were wanting to place it in a free pcie bracket (maybe one below your motherboard I would go with one with a smaller pcb.

These are inexpensive to purchase and many are available on both amazon and ebay. I paid less than $10 for mine on amazon.