Advice needed regarding Parity

Hi,

Before I get into this I should probably make you aware that my skill level with this stuff is quite low! I set up unraid using a guide and i merely use it for Plex and Torrents.

The other day i screwed things ups majorly but cutting a long story short;

After an initial balls up with a dodgy SATA power cable I started a new config (can't actually remember why i did this as it sounds really stupid now) I accidentally set a data disk as parity which seemed to not only screw that disk but also screw the parity so i resigned myself to losing the data from that drive.

So since then i have formatted the data drive however I'm unable to work out how to format the parity drive which i'm assuming i need to do because at the moment the server dies mid way through a parity check, so something still isn't right.

Could i stop the array and add the parity as a data disk and then format it using the file system method? (which doesn't appear to be available for the parity drive) I'm assuming no here because surely the Parity is a different file system??

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

Just been using the server for Plex briefly and it died again, so starting to think its not just related to the parity anymore... could be an over heating issue so possibly not unraid related

Kinda makes sense as the hard disks in use did hit 46 C yesterday...they've never been that high but i figured it was because i'd never cleaned the fan intake filters and the fan controller was set on low...have since cleaned the filters and set the controller to high...but obviously its not helped...its weird, this computer has always been very cool

Got fix common problems just playing about with that now... Doesn't appear to be working....when i click anything the status doesn't change from "Not Running"

Just trying a stress test of sorts, got a 1080p compressed rip going and the parity check...unraid is displaying temps of 40 C on both the parity drive and what i can only assume is the drive where the film is playing from. however on UnMenu it shows a slightly higher temp 42 C

Only at 10% so far....temps have been very slowly rising....so if they continue I know its because they are over heating.....don't understand why all of a sudden though...it does a parity check every month and the weather has been hotter then this recently!

While it is a good idea to pay attention to cooling, not only of your drives but the rest of your hardware, those drive temps are not what I would expect to cause any obvious and immediate problem.

What exactly do you mean by the imprecise phrase "the server dies" in the OP?

Have you done a memtest (on the boot menu)?

How many drives do you have?

What is the exact model of your power supply?

Well i left it on last night to finish the parity check and it seems to have done it this time.

I think undersigning the parity and then reassigning it, as suggested above, seemed to sort it..... hopefully at least.

While it is a good idea to pay attention to cooling, not only of your drives but the rest of your hardware, those drive temps are not what I would expect to cause any obvious and immediate problem.

The temps seemed to peak at 42 C although when i just checked it this morning the drives were all still span up but it might of only just finished doing the parity check i guess...

What exactly do you mean by the imprecise phrase "the server dies" in the OP?

Sorry about my none technical terminology, it just turns off, no power down sequence or anything just 'dies'

Have you done a memtest (on the boot menu)?

Nope, should i still try that?

How many drives do you have?

3 HDD, 1 Parity, 1 Cache.

The Cache is an SSD, the rest are all matched 4tb WD Red's

What is the exact model of your power supply?

400W Seasonic Platinum SS-400FL2 PSU

Thank you both for taking the time to help me out....

Good to hear that the parity sync finished but symptoms sugest a hardware issue, and it will probably happen again, one thing to check is the CPU temp, most computers shutdown when it overheats.

You could be onto something with the CPU, i never liked how the standard bundled heatsink attached to the processor it never really felt very secure and oddly enough what do i find? one of the the locking mechanisms is broken so its only locked in place on three corners.

Definitely going to replace that as soon as possible.

Though I don't really know what to go for....its been a long time since i bought a cpu cooler, always used the bundled one because i don't tend to overclock or anything...