Plex DVR

grywalsr

PLEX DVR was recently introduced: https://www.plex.tv/features/dvr/

I have been running PLEX as a docker (the Limetech version) for a while, it works fine, but I've really been looking for a WMC/DVR replacement for my HDHOMERUNs ever since windows 10 came out and they announced the death of WMC.  This looks like it might be the trick!

Anyhow I bought a PLEX pass today and was surprised to find I could download an UNRAID version of Plex DVR from the Plex forums.  The file is called: PlexMediaServer-???????????????????-x64-UnRAID.txz but there are no instructions on what to do with it.  I tried installing it as an UNRAID plugin but that only produced an XML error.  Has anyone got this to work with UNRAID and how exactly did you do it?

You guys are such a friendly bunch. I don't know why more people don't hang out on these forums.

I'm assuming that this is sarcasm, but I did answer your question exactly in the other thread (and then you subsequently posted the same question here) without going into explicit details, since explicit detail would have amounted to answering how do I pirate plexPass which is not appropriate here.  (regardless of the fact that you are a plexpass subscriber)

You guys are such a friendly bunch. I don't know why more people don't hang out on these forums.

I'm assuming that this is sarcasm, but I did answer your question exactly in the other thread (and then you subsequently posted the same question here) without going into explicit details, since explicit detail would have amounted to answering how do I pirate plexPass which is not appropriate here.  (regardless of the fact that you are a plexpass subscriber)

And generally this forum is regarded as friendly and helpful. I suggested a forum search because I was trying to help you help yourself.

1) I had no idea I was giving away some secret by posting the full file name.  (What kind of lame security is that anyway PLEX team?).

2) I had no idea there was some history between the makers of the PLEX/unraid/docker stuff and the PLEX team which I think in some way resulted in the (to me) cryptic answers I got to my first inquiry.

3) I (in general) have no idea :-) really no context.  So when I got answers that expected that I had a clue, like "use lsio's plex", I went looking for an "Idiots guide".

4) I am still disappointed that the archive file I got from PLEX had zero instructions (no README.TXT) file in it to get me started.  At least back in the day something like that was standard.

5) And you where not kidding when you said the search feature in the forum is confusing.

So I will put in the sweat equity, read the pages of forum posts, figure out how to install the right version of the Plex docker, figure out how to configure it to use the beta version, and when I do I will write that "Idiots guide" and post it.  I just hope the PLEX DVR is worth it, I have to get a replacement for WMC.

The file plex provides can be used in the way they intend it to be used, but it is not the preferred way to do things on unRAID v6. It is relying on a very old and unmanaged way to install a plugin that requires working at the command line. And dockers are preferred over plugins for this type of app anyway.

As long as you don't post the version number again you can probably get help over on the LSIO plex docker thread. That's where I found out how to do it. Though it is not spelled out exactly step by step, basically you just fill in the version number when filling out the form to create the docker.

• 3 months later...

Doesn't the "plex pass" version actually require a valid plex pass on the mothership? I would think it would either not run at all or not engage the special bits.  The location of the file is not a secret.

Yeah I must admit this is confusing to me too. Because this feature looks amazing to me. What I think the issue is, is that Plex DVR is a BETA feature that you can only access if you have PlexPass. But because it's a BETA they want you to download a custom version of it to test.

UnRaid can not release the BETA version with that feature because they would essentially be releasing a closed access version of the software to all UnRaid users. Which you are meant to pay for. Once this comes out of BETA I assume you could just login with your Plex Pass account and get access?

I hope it's soon because this Plex DVR feature is exactly what I am looking for.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm feeling like some of the confusion to all of this might be answered with a simple link to the other forum discussion.

For instance: 

"Have you tried searching the forum? This has already been discussed in the LSIO plex docker thread and also another thread was started by another user about the DVR feature." (here are two references to two threads)

And here is another reference to another: 

"And in your other thread

I'm currently looking for these threads...and I can't find them! But this thread (which is not very helpful) is wickedly easy to find for some reason.

While I appreciate the responses that there have been discussions, the fact that I cannot find those discussions makes it difficult.

Please. If you could post some links to the threads in question, I would love love love to check them out. (or let me know how to find them within the forum.

Thanks!

6 minutes ago, jevans04 said:

You no longer need to load a special beta version of Plex to get the DVR features.  You just need to load the latest PlexPass release of the software.

Quote from Plex:  DVR beta 5 has been released as part of the PMS 1.4.1 Plex Pass release

Oh yeah. Forgot about that. You can just specify plexpass as the version now.