Update from 6.1.9 to 6.2 RC5, need help

I have an problem.

I updated from 6.1.9 to 6.2 RC5, let it update for a while, but nothing happend. I could ping the server, and ssh into it, but no webui response. Tried shutting it down from a ssh session - Nothing happend, tried pressing the power button case, same thing - nothing happend.

I typed mc in the command line, just to see, but nothing was mounted at /mnt

I could also log in into the server without any password with the root user.

I forced a shutdown of the server after a long time, since I had no other choice.

When it boots now, it spams "Waiting for /dev/disk/by-label/UNRAID (will check for 30 seconds)" for 30 seconds, then it does not find it and continue booting.

My flash drive is still named UNRAID, and I have also tried running "make_bootable.bat" again just to see, but same thing happens.

Todays part of the syslog attached, and a diagnostic from today (probably from powerdown plugin?)

The standalone syslog shows more info than the syslog in the diagnostic file

Any help would be appreciated!

I have also posted this in the 6.2 RC5 release thread, but since I haven't got any answears yet, I am asking here too (really want to get my server back up again!  :) )

syslog.txt

tower-diagnostics-20160908-2144.zip

Not the ideal solution, but have you tried just reformatting the the flash drive and setting up the drive assignments from scratch?

I have had at least once in the 62 betas series had the update hang on me (due to it issuing a sync, and if another process is very actively using the cache/array the sync will never complete)

I had the same happen when upgraded one of my servers and doing this fixed it:

Backup your flash drive then open a command prompt window as administrator, then type, in this order:

-diskpart

-list disk

-select disk x (x=your flash drive)

-clean

-create partition primary

-format fs=fat32 label=UNRAID quick

-active

-assign

-exit

-close cmd window

-restore files from flash backup

-execute make_bootable as admin

Diagnostics are from v6.1.9

Diagnostics from 6.2 would not save because of the boot error.

Backup your flash drive then open a command prompt window as administrator, then type, in this order:

-diskpart

-list disk

-clean

-active

-assign

-exit

-close cmd window

Thank you! This fixed my issue :D

-diskpart

-list disk

-clean

-active

-assign

-exit

-close cmd window

It wouldn't work to simply right-click on the flash device under Computer and select Format from the drop-down?

It wouldn't work to simply right-click on the flash device under Computer and select Format from the drop-down?

It didn't for me when this happened, that was the first thing I tried.

Now that I'm thinking about it I've run into something similar when I've used my spare unRaid stick in a pinch to setup a different OS's bootable USB.  Occasionally, no matter what I can't get unRaid to boot again at all.  Formatting, run make_bootable a hundred times and I couldn't get it to go.  Found that ActiveBootDisk was able to properly wipe the flash so that make_bootable would work.  But probably your instructions would have been the solution also.
  • 1 year later...