Max Turbo Frequency not being utilized in VM

666gene

Hi all

wondering if theres a setting iv missed in Bios/UEFI to allow usage of turbo boost for the CPU. it should boost up to 3.33Ghz (the Hardware was boosting when it was a single server before i changed to UnRaid. so boost is enabled.)

im utilizing all 8 threads for this VM as its the only one ill be running. Attachment shows 6 Cores (this was for testing)

Any assistance would be great.

System.PNG.1ca01ec744eba4dfddef41f894445449.PNG

CPU_utilisation.PNG.a181fb089c39fbd83b660503bf7da107.PNG

You have to look into unraid command line to see what frequency you are running. I use this to check out what's going on.

watch grep \"cpu MHz\" /proc/cpuinfo

Interesting command block there. Somehow I never came across "watch" before.

I've been having fun with this command to keep the highest speeds at the top:

watch "grep \"cpu MHz\" /proc/cpuinfo | sort -r"

I am running into the same issue and have been trying to figure out why for a couple weeks. I am using a xeon e5-2670 and using (watch grep \"cpu MHz\" /proc/cpuinfo) I can confirm the CPU is booting to 3200MHz however my windows VM shows it at 2200 MHz.

Windows doesn't have access to CPU information running as a VM. It will always just show the base clock as the speed

I am running into the same issue and have been trying to figure out why for a couple weeks. I am using a xeon e5-2670 and using (watch grep \"cpu MHz\" /proc/cpuinfo) I can confirm the CPU is booting to 3200MHz however my windows VM shows it at 2200 MHz.

Windows doesn't have access to CPU information running as a VM. It will always just show the base clock as the speed

Thanks for the response, the base clock should be 2600 MHz. CPU benchmarks seem to be low for what it is. Anything I can check or do?

Try this: Download the Tips and Tweaks plugin by dlandon, open Settings -> Tips and Tweaks and set "CPU Scaling Governor" to "performance". Does the CPU now boost correctly? Dont forget to change the setting back ("powersave" for most systems) because "performance" uses a lot more power.

I found the performance governor gave worse performance as it disabled boost altogether and would only run at the base clock. Interested to see other peoples experiences with it.

Very interesting... I have a similar problem on my Server, the CPU doesn't boost to the max frequency. I dont really notice a huge performance improvement so i just keep the performance governor on "powersave". It looks like there are problems with CPU performance on some servers, there are a few threads where people have problems with performance that most likely have something to do with the CPU. My performance is ok for my CPU but sometimes i get weird audio issues when installing programs and Apps like Photoshop open very slow for being on an SSD (~500MB/s read and write speed). The performance can be improved a little bit by changing the cores and the emulator and CPU Core pins.

I was having similar problems with my dual Xeon e5-2670 build. No matter what I did none of the cores would go above 2600. I removed the Tips and Tweaks plugin and now Turbo boost works and I can achieve up to 3.3GHz.

I had tried adjusting from within the plugin as well as in Bios. Removing the plugin was the only solution for me.

Try this: Download the Tips and Tweaks plugin by dlandon, open Settings -> Tips and Tweaks and set "CPU Scaling Governor" to "performance". Does the CPU now boost correctly? Dont forget to change the setting back ("powersave" for most systems) because "performance" uses a lot more power.

I found the performance governor gave worse performance as it disabled boost altogether and would only run at the base clock. Interested to see other peoples experiences with it.

I installed it, played with all the settings, and saw no improvement either on a DL380 G6 with dual E5520 processors. My server(s) won't hit max turbo frequency. I checked everything in bios to make sure that wasn't the issue. After I uninstalled it, unRaid seemed to be laggy, so I reinstalled unRaid.

So i have been messing around a bit.  I have a few games that don't get the cpu to clock up. The best i have come up with so far is

Echo 100 < /sys/devices/ system/cpu/intel_pstate/min_perf_pct

It sets the amount of cpu frequency the cpu can use when in its lower power mode.  Problem is it sets it for all cores.  So even idle cores can and do boost to turbo frequency. I haven't worked out how to make it so it only affects the cores I'm using for my VM

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

I installed it, played with all the settings, and saw no improvement either on a DL380 G6 with dual E5520 processors. My server(s) won't hit max turbo frequency. I checked everything in bios to make sure that wasn't the issue. After I uninstalled it, unRaid seemed to be laggy, so I reinstalled unRaid.

Did you restart the server before you reinstalled unraid? IIRC the changes the plugin makes should be only temporary.

Did you restart the server before you reinstalled unraid? IIRC the changes the plugin makes should be only temporary.

I did. Don't know why unRaid acted slower after I uninstalled it. Could have just been a coincidence or some other factor that i'm not aware of.

• 1 year later...

Sorry for reviving that old thread, but I've also the problem, that my cpu frequency is not being fully utilyzed.
The CPU is an i7 7700K @ 4900MHz, however the clocks reported from the 'watch grep /proc/cpuinfo' command

just show 4500 MHz max clock. Is there a clock limit in the unraid config?

Edit: Just looked in the 'scaling_max_freq' file and there the cpu clock is set to 4,5GHz, so will changing that file help elevate the clocks?

And if yes, will the setting be permanent?

Kind Regards

Herwig

Edited by DoubleHelix
2 hours ago, DoubleHelix said:

Sorry for reviving that old thread, but I've also the problem, that my cpu frequency is not being fully utilyzed.
The CPU is an i7 7700K @ 4900MHz, however the clocks reported from the 'watch grep /proc/cpuinfo' command

just show 4500 MHz max clock. Is there a clock limit in the unraid config?

Edit: Just looked in the 'scaling_max_freq' file and there the cpu clock is set to 4,5GHz, so will changing that file help elevate the clocks?

And if yes, will the setting be permanent?

Kind Regards

Herwig

If you're overclocking, then you should look into the threads about overclocking and unRaid, otherwise it is reporting specs correctly:

https://ark.intel.com/products/97129/Intel-Core-i7-7700K-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_50-GHz

Edited by 1812