ssh support in v6

Anton

Googled. A lot. ssh support is built in in v6. There are plugins that enable ssh (why? thought it is built in), where you can even change a lot of setting, but they are not able to start the ssh daemon and are unmaintained (problem known, many months not a single reply, not to talk about fixes).

Readme, manual, ... - not even a single word about ssh (not about how to enable it - it is used in vm setups, ... - but nobody is ever talking about how to get it running).

So: Am I completely blind or is unraid not usable without it's own keyboard and monitor any more, as a NAS. I mean that basically was what it was, wasn't it??? Can anybody who has an idea about the ssh concept in v6 add this to the FAQs here? There are 16 pages about ssh here and none of them is helping in any way (hope that I have not overlooked the 1 entry that is useful *lol*)...

Googled. A lot. ssh support is built in in v6. There are plugins that enable ssh (why? thought it is built in), where you can even change a lot of setting, but they are not able to start the ssh daemon and are unmaintained (problem known, many months not a single reply, not to talk about fixes).

Readme, manual, ... - not even a single word about ssh (not about how to enable it - it is used in vm setups, ... - but nobody is ever talking about how to get it running).

So: Am I completely blind or is unraid not usable without it's own keyboard and monitor any more, as a NAS. I mean that basically was what it was, wasn't it??? Can anybody who has an idea about the ssh concept in v6 add this to the FAQs here? There are 16 pages about ssh here and none of them is helping in any way (hope that I have not overlooked the 1 entry that is useful *lol*)...

Use any terminal app (putty on windows) and connect to unraid through ssh on port 22. Log in as the root user.

It is enabled by default

Regarding unraid being not usable without its own keyboard and monitor, my unraid server does not even have a monitor or keyboard attached. I ssh in

Thank you for your answer. That was fast :)

No, it's not ;) - was the first thing I tried (actually 2nd, 1st: change root password, 2nd check sssh, change to using ppks, disable root ssh, ... - normal for every linux system I install)

"ssh: connect to host 10.0.0.13 port 22: Connection refused"

Thank you for your answer. That was fast :)

No, it's not ;) - was the first thing I tried (actually 2nd, 1st: change root password, 2nd check sssh, change to using ppks, disable root ssh, ... - normal for every linux system I install)

"ssh: connect to host 10.0.0.13 port 22: Connection refused"

Since it is working for everyone else, you might look at what you have done to make it not work. You changed to using ppks (which I don't know what is),  so logic would say that you made a mistake at that point.

If you share more details about what you did, the guys customizing their ssh config might be able to chime in.

Thanks for the info!

:)

That's funny. Installed the trial, got too many drives, installed the bought key. tried ssh (not working). After that docker, installed the the ssh config tool to get ssh support, installation without any problems, but it said "ssh daemon not running", tried to start it, no error messages, nothing - some other people seem to have the same problem if you google for that tool, so ssh does not seem to work for "everyone else" ;) - uninstalled it.

Didnt' came to the ppk stuff as standard ssh was not working and the keyboard.

So after your answer it is a configuration problem or bug that occurs only on a few systems. I look into it, hope that Slackware is not too different from Debian/Ubuntu which I am used. Maybe someone can give me a few hints regarding where too look. Atherwise I just google it out and post the results/solution here and direct to the devs.

TNX!

Thanks for the info!

That's funny. Installed the trial, got too many drives, installed the bought key. tried ssh (not working). After that docker, installed the the ssh config tool to get ssh support, installation without any problems, but it said "ssh daemon not running", tried to start it, no error messages, nothing - some other people seem to have the same problem if you google for that tool, so ssh does not seem to work for "everyone else" ;) - uninstalled it.

Didnt' came to the ppk stuff as standard ssh was not working and the keyboard.

So after your answer it is a configuration problem or bug that occurs only on a few systems. I look into it, hope that Slackware is not too different from Debian/Ubuntu which I am used. Maybe someone can give me a few hints regarding where too look. Atherwise I just google it out and post the results/solution here and direct to the devs.

TNX!

If you post your diagnostics zip from Tools section in the GUI, we can see what happens.

What you could try is to delete the content of the ssh folder in /config on the flash. Since you don't have a ssh connection working you can plug the USB in another computer.

From the ssh problems I have seen on this forum its usually from adding own keys.

I don't know the ssh config tool, but I would uninstall it. Less things to worry about when troubleshooting.

Are you running 6.2 or 6.1.9?

I would definitely uninstall the ssh plugin, one other thing to check is the flash drive folder /config/ssh/  and that the keys are in there and not corrupted.  I've had my keys get corrupted before now.  Just delete all the files in there and reboot and new keys are generated.  You may need to reboot anyway to completely remove the plugin.  Worth checking the flash folder /config/plugins/ to make sure any trace of plugin is gone too. 

Sorry for the late answer and TNX for all the help!

Learned some Slackware basics, checked port 22 - not listening, cleared up the /etc/ssh directory, started sshd:

sshd generates a ssh_config (which looks good to me) and a lot of 0 byte long invalid keys which it is complaining about after (key_load_public: invalid format; Could not load host key ...) - all keys the same.

How can I let unraid generate valid key pairs? Or do I have to do that manually? (I can generate them, but I do not think that is the planned way to setup unraid...) :)

that is odd. run

df -h

and see if anything has 100% usage

try this:

# shutdown the server

# on a different machine, delete /config/ssh on the usb key

# startup the server, ssh should be working fine at this point.

when unraid starts up the ssh daemon, it copies everything from /boot/config/ssh to /etc/ssh

then it tries to generate any missing host keys (all the host keys are then copied back to the flash)

if you have zero byte hosts keys - you either have no more room in the unraid ramdisk, thus failing host generation, or your hosts keys in the usb key are corrupted and zero byte. - either way, if you look now, your usb key has zero byte hosts keys.

Solved - Got an old IPMI card, made things a lot easier :)

Space, etc. more than enough, but the ssh keys in /boot/config/ssh were all 0 bytes long. Delted them there, rebooted the system and... got valid ssh keys on both locations.

No idea what happened to the /boot/config/ssh (as I did not have any idea how this was working until your very useful information here).

TNX a lot!

Space, etc. more than enough, but the ssh keys in /boot/config/ssh were all 0 bytes long. Delted them there, rebooted the system and... got valid ssh keys on both locations.

No idea what happened to the /boot/config/ssh (as I did not have any idea how this was working until your very useful information here).

TNX a lot!

On the money.....

I would definitely uninstall the ssh plugin, one other thing to check is the flash drive folder /config/ssh/  and that the keys are in there and not corrupted.  I've had my keys get corrupted before now.  Just delete all the files in there and reboot and new keys are generated.  You may need to reboot anyway to completely remove the plugin.  Worth checking the flash folder /config/plugins/ to make sure any trace of plugin is gone too. 

;D

TNX a lot!

On the money.....

;D

Hold your horses mate, I was first  ;D

What you could try is to delete the content of the ssh folder in /config on the flash. Since you don't have a ssh connection working you can plug the USB in another computer.

TNX a lot!

On the money.....

;D

Damn, didn't see that, just ignored you like I normally do....  ;D

TNX a lot!

On the money.....

;D

Damn, didn't see that, just ignored you like I normally do....  ;D