Moving from nas4free, what kind of speeds can I expect?

Currently a nas4free user but tiring of it a bit.  N4F feels dated and the fact that Docker isn't baked in bothers me a bit.

So considering the move to unRAID.

Question is, what kind of transfer speeds, given the correct configuration, could I expect with this build:

• Supermicro X10SLL-F
  • Intel Xeon CPU E3-1231v3 @ 3.40GHz
  • Crucial 32GB DDR3 PC3-12800 ECC

• WD Red NAS Drives x 5
  • Assorted Drives of Varying Sizes x 5

My whole house has GB switching, motherboard has three GB NICs.

I think the hardware is good, just wondering what kind of read / write / transfer speeds I can expect.

Thanks!

I'll give you some ballpark figures based on my personal experience with using unRAID for several years.

Hardware doesn't really make a lot of difference unless you are bottle-necking somewhere. Performance is mostly dependent on drive selection and network performance. The use of a cache drive should, in most cases, cap gigabit ethernet for writes.

Write speeds will somewhat vary depending on the size of the files you are writing and which drive you are writing to (newer, higher capacity and higher rpm drives will perform better).

• Writing to array with a decent cache drive: 100mb/sec+
  • Writing to array without cache drive, good drives: ~60mb/sec
  • Writing to array without cache drive, slower drives: ~40mb/sec
  • Reading from array, good drives: limited by drive performance, single files are usually ~80mb/sec

Keep in mind this list is very dependent on configuration, hardware, fine-tuning, file sizes, file system.. there are a lot of variables.

Awesome, this is exactly what I was looking for, just some ballpark figures.  Thank you.

I'm testing on a embedded system right now and it's slow as hell (10MBps read/write).  This is without a cache drive writing to two really old and slow 250GB laptop drives.

Anyway, playing around with it right now mainly to see how the KVM and Docker works.