VM for game servers, steamCMD, alt?

andro

I will be building my e5-2679 system later this week and want to start the journey into VMs. I am interested is hosting servers for a few games but am not finding much info here. Does anyone have any guides, suggestions or best practices to get me started?

I have read a little about steamCMD but don't see much from an unRaid point of view.

Also interested in modded Minecraft servers.

Thanks!

Andro

What games are you looking to host. Many game servers are not multithreaded at all, so single core CPU speed is king.

I run a couple of Minecraft servers off of my e5-2670 system, but mostly keep low demanding MC servers there. I have an e3-1275 running my two high population/demanding MC servers. The e5's just could not keep up.

What games are you looking to host. Many game servers are not multithreaded at all, so single core CPU speed is king.

I run a couple of Minecraft servers off of my e5-2670 system, but mostly keep low demanding MC servers there. I have an e3-1275 running my two high population/demanding MC servers. The e5's just could not keep up.

Doubtful this would be for more than any 2 running at the same time, however would running multiple VMs help get more CPUs working?

Minecraft for 2-4 people. Most likely FTB Infinity Evolved

ARC

7 Days to Die

If you're only talking 2-4 people, then you are fine with e5-2670. Way overkill actually. Multiple VM's would not help the MC instances. I run 1 VM of MineOS and host 4-5 active servers off it alone, giving it 6 cores and a ton of RAM.

What ISO are you running for VM? I had got a MineOS docker running a few months back and now I have having troubles with it. I figured I can wait until I get the new system up, but I am really unsure where to start with VMs.

Assuming I run a VM for MineOS, any suggestions for a separate VM that would host other game servers?

Thanks for the help!