PVR recording software on unraid - what options

chip

In theory you can use everything that works on Linux. Either installed directly on unraid, a VM or a docker container.

If you want a ready to use solution, you will have to use one of the four you listed.

If you're not afraid of getting your hands dirty, you could use a VM or build yourself a docker container.

I previously ran ArgusTV in a Windows 7 VM.

I've since replaced it with TvHeadEnd plug-in in UnRaid as I got fed up with no support for Series Record from Kodi for ArgusTv (plus development on Argus has slowed to a crawl).

TvHeadEnd has been super stable for me for the past 6 months or so,

Peter

Yeah I was looking at Argus after I came across this article - http://mymediaexperience.com/dvr-guide/

I guess I really want something that can look like WMC and have same recording capabilities. So something that offers  the following -

Enable Timeshift

Group Recordings

Series Recording

New and rerun - Records all episodes of the selected show.

New only - Skips recording episodes marked as repeats in the EPG

Live only - Records the episode ONLY if marked as "live" in the EPG.

On the Fly recording

Support multiple HDHomerun tuners

• 3 months later...

Anyone have an opinion on this....

I guess I really want something that can look like WMC and have same recording capabilities. So something that offers  the following -

Enable Timeshift

Group Recordings

Series Recording

New and rerun - Records all episodes of the selected show.

New only - Skips recording episodes marked as repeats in the EPG

Live only - Records the episode ONLY if marked as "live" in the EPG.

On the Fly recording

Support multiple HDHomerun tuners

I'm personally loving the hdhomerun DVR. $60 works with cable card and OTA but no DRM as of current. Have the engine running in a docker container available in CA. Part of the $60 is 1 year of guide ($35 I think) and early access. The DVR is supposed to go release candidate soon for non-DRM affected folks. Thus meaning the clock on the 1 year begins.

I manage the PVR through Xbox 1, Windows 10, kodi, etc.

Ok so Tvheadend as docker.

HDHomerun tuner - which one? Is it internal or external?

Use 2tb drive in Unassigned Devices as recording space.

That could work though my only concern of lately is my server is crashing randomly so worried about crashes and shows not recording.

As of right now my current HTPC is still running right now for recording purposes only. I than have MCEBuddy cut out commercials and they land on my server and updated in Plex for playback on my Nvidia Shield.

Ok so Tvheadend as docker.

HDHomerun tuner - which one? Is it internal or external?

Use 2tb drive in Unassigned Devices as recording space.

That could work though my only concern of lately is my server is crashing randomly so worried about crashes and shows not recording.

As of right now my current HTPC is still running right now for recording purposes only. I than have MCEBuddy cut out commercials and they land on my server and updated in Plex for playback on my Nvidia Shield.

So hdhomerun DVR uses the hdhomerun tuners by silicondust. Network based tuners. Silicondust.com is the site with info.

• 3 weeks later...

I using Tvheadend running in a docker, with a HDHomerun tuner.  I use an older 2 TB hard drive (pulled from my array when I upgraded that slot to an 8 TB drive) with Unassigned Devices as temporary recording space.  Works great and runs solid.

Hi, just wondering what tvheadend docker you are running? I found one the other day but can't work out how to install it in unraid without the docker template file.

thanks

Do you run community applications plug-in? It makes finding compatible dockers very easy and facilitates easy installation etc.

I run the TvHeadEnd plugin so can't comment on Dockers version. I've intended to migrate but the hassle of moving settings etc. is putting me off.

You should really consider SageTV as it is a very mature PVR software that was, at one time, one of 3-4 options for PVR recording along with MCE, BeyondTV and MythTV.  Sage kind of went dormant when it was bought by Google to be used as the PVR engine for Google Fiber but it was open sourced a couple of years ago and has come back to life.  There is a client that works well with AndroidTV boxes like the MiBox or Shield.  Or you can import the recordings into other media software like Plex.

It works very nicely with the HDHR and also works with the HDHR Prime for cable channels.  Or you can use a Hauppauge HD-PVR to capture HD video from component cables.

Many of the main SageTV developers are now also using the Docker version on unRAID so it is getting lots of attention and improvements.

• 7 months later...