new SAS drive won't spin down

mgworek

i am now getting this in logs non stop

Sep 14 14:53:39 Tower kernel: mdcmd (65903): spindown 7

Sep 14 14:53:39 Tower kernel: md: do_drive_cmd: disk7: ATA_OP e0 ioctl error: -5

Sep 14 14:53:39 Tower emhttp: err: mdcmd: write: Input/output error

I disabled spin down on the drive for now. if its supposed to be spun up those errors don't come up but if its set to spin down, they keep coming up multiple times per second

• 2 years later...

Hi, Did this problem ever get fixed?  

I have a new HUS726060AL5210 6TB SAS Drive and I get those same errors and unRAID cannot spin it down.  The only way to stop the errors is like the op by disabling spin down for that drive.  

The other issue I have with this same drive is that I have to power it via a molex to sata power connector otherwise it has the reverse problem of never spinning up! I read it is to do with a "new standard" of spinning down drives using pin 3 on a sata connector but cannot find a way to resolve these issues.

Any help would be greatly appreciated 🙂

I would upload my diagnostics but am getting this error in the log but that is for another day!

Jan 17 00:37:22 UNRAIDSERVER nginx: 2019/01/17 00:37:22 [error] 10157#10157: *690209 upstream timed out (110: Connection timed out) while reading response header from upstream, client: 192.168.0.12, server: , request: "POST /webGui/include/Download.php HTTP/1.1", upstream: "fastcgi://unix:/var/run/php5-fpm.sock", host: "192.168.0.33", referrer: "http://192.168.0.33/Tools/Diagnostics"

On 9/15/2016 at 2:33 AM, johnnie.black said:

Probably because it's a SAS disk, not because there's a problem, but I'll let someone with SAS disks experience pitch in.

So doesn't sas drives spin down?  Starting to consider 3TB sas drives on ebay.  My 2 TB drives SATA are starting to fail 1 by 1.  They are old already.  

9 minutes ago, mbc0 said:

Never for one minute thought I would have the issue of unRAID being unable to spin a drive down, wish I had known before purchasing.  I was going to replace all my drives with SAS over time but am now rethinking...

IIRC hdparm can't spin down SAS disks, you need sdparm, not currently included with Unraid.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...