Move content around drives based on access frequency

detz

I guess this could be used in two ways, the first way that I currently want is.

I install a new empty drive and now all new content goes to that drive because usually when I'm adding a new drive the others are almost full. This creates like an archive affect that all content from 2014 is on this drive, 2015 on that drive, etc which seems bad. Also, all new content (plex, photos, etc) ends up all on this one drive. It's protected so not a big issue (although I still think about this) but access speed is a concern and wear on the new drive since it usually doesn't spin down. For new plex content the drive can sometime be reading 4-5 different movies off the same drive because people are accessing the new stuff and it seems better (wear and speed) to spread this out. Is this true?

I could also thing of things in reverse that it's better to move the most accessed stuff to a single faster drive to speed up access and to not spin up all the drives when only one is needed. I think the Mac does this by having a spinner and sad and it moves the most access content to the ssd. It might be nice if new plex content is put on the ssd first and then moved off as new stuff comes on. Also if I'm accessing certain files it starts to move them to a single drive so others don't have to spin up.

Thoughts? Does this exist?