unRAID Server Release 6.2 Stable Release Available

limetech

My Docker installation pre-dates the "appdata" standard so I have everything installed in "apps".  I'm guessing that it may be wise to clean that up at this point.  Does it make sense to do that before or after upgrading to 6.2?  The process seems like it would be:

• Note all Docker config settings
  • Stop Docker
  • Backup "apps"
  • Delete docker.img
  • mv apps appdata
  • Restart Docker and create new image file
  • Use CA to restore Previous Apps

Sound about right?  Before or after 6.2 upgrade?

Thanks!

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My Docker installation pre-dates the "appdata" standard so I have everything installed in "apps".  I'm guessing that it may be wise to clean that up at this point.  Does it make sense to do that before or after upgrading to 6.2?  The process seems like it would be:

• Note all Docker config settings
  • Stop Docker
  • Backup "apps"
  • Delete docker.img
  • mv apps appdata
  • Restart Docker and create new image file
  • Use CA to restore Previous Apps

Sound about right?  Before or after 6.2 upgrade?

Thanks!

Doesn't particularly make a difference.  But storing stuff in apps vs appdata is purely semantics.  All you've got to do is change under the docker settings the default appdata storage location from appdata to apps and the system will function just fine by itself  (and leaving it the same will be easier since moving the appdata share effectively means that you have to adjust each and every template to reflect the new location.

Second time attempting to upgrade to 6.2. I delete the dynamix plg, server reboots but no web gui nor shares accessible. I have ipmi running and I could see during boot that br0: carrier lost. Not sure if this could help. I'm able to access the console thru IPMI. Very frustrating.

I reverted back to 6.19 and went through the logs

Sep 17 10:28:36 Tower dhcpcd[1601]: dhcpcd-6.8.1 starting
Sep 17 10:28:36 Tower dhcpcd[1601]: br0: executing `/lib/dhcpcd/dhcpcd-run-hooks' PREINIT
Sep 17 10:28:36 Tower dhcpcd[1601]: br0: executing `/lib/dhcpcd/dhcpcd-run-hooks' NOCARRIER
Sep 17 10:28:36 Tower dhcpcd[1601]: br0: waiting for carrier
Sep 17 10:28:39 Tower kernel: e1000e: eth1 NIC Link is Up 1000 Mbps Full Duplex, Flow Control: Rx/Tx
Sep 17 10:28:39 Tower kernel: br0: port 2(eth1) entered listening state
Sep 17 10:28:39 Tower kernel: br0: port 2(eth1) entered listening state
Sep 17 10:28:55 Tower kernel: br0: port 2(eth1) entered learning state
Sep 17 10:29:10 Tower kernel: br0: topology change detected, propagating
Sep 17 10:29:10 Tower kernel: br0: port 2(eth1) entered forwarding state
Sep 17 10:29:10 Tower dhcpcd[1601]: br0: carrier acquired
Sep 17 10:29:10 Tower dhcpcd[1601]: br0: executing `/lib/dhcpcd/dhcpcd-run-hooks' CARRIER
Sep 17 10:29:10 Tower dhcpcd[1601]: br0: delaying IPv4 for 0.9 seconds
Sep 17 10:29:10 Tower dhcpcd[1601]: br0: using ClientID 01:00:25:90:57:9e:a8
Sep 17 10:29:10 Tower dhcpcd[1601]: br0: soliciting a DHCP lease
Sep 17 10:29:10 Tower dhcpcd[1601]: br0: sending DISCOVER (xid 0xacde3e83), next in 3.4 seconds
Sep 17 10:29:11 Tower dhcpcd[1601]: br0: offered 192.168.1.6 from 192.168.1.1
Sep 17 10:29:11 Tower dhcpcd[1601]: br0: sending REQUEST (xid 0xacde3e83), next in 4.6 seconds
Sep 17 10:29:11 Tower dhcpcd[1601]: br0: acknowledged 192.168.1.6 from 192.168.1.1
Sep 17 10:29:11 Tower dhcpcd[1601]: br0: probing for 192.168.1.6
Sep 17 10:29:11 Tower dhcpcd[1601]: br0: ARP probing 192.168.1.6 (1 of 3), next in 2.0 seconds
Sep 17 10:29:13 Tower dhcpcd[1601]: br0: ARP probing 192.168.1.6 (2 of 3), next in 1.7 seconds
Sep 17 10:29:14 Tower dhcpcd[1601]: br0: ARP probing 192.168.1.6 (3 of 3), next in 2.0 seconds
Sep 17 10:29:16 Tower dhcpcd[1601]: br0: leased 192.168.1.6 for 172800 seconds
Sep 17 10:29:16 Tower dhcpcd[1601]: br0: renew in 86400 seconds, rebind in 151200 seconds
Sep 17 10:29:16 Tower dhcpcd[1601]: br0: writing lease `/var/lib/dhcpcd/dhcpcd-br0.lease'
Sep 17 10:29:16 Tower dhcpcd[1601]: br0: adding IP address 192.168.1.6/24
Sep 17 10:29:16 Tower dhcpcd[1601]: br0: adding route to 192.168.1.0/24
Sep 17 10:29:16 Tower dhcpcd[1601]: br0: adding default route via 192.168.1.1
Sep 17 10:29:16 Tower dhcpcd[1601]: br0: executing `/lib/dhcpcd/dhcpcd-run-hooks' BOUND
Sep 17 10:29:16 Tower dhcpcd[1601]: forking to background
Sep 17 10:29:16 Tower dhcpcd[1639]: br0: ARP announcing 192.168.1.6 (1 of 2), next in 2.0 seconds
Sep 17 10:29:16 Tower dhcpcd[1601]: forked to background, child pid 1639

Br0 is the problem I believe do I need to disable the bridge?

Can you post your network.cfg file, which is in the config folder on your flash device.

Was there going to be some script/tool to let people know if dual parity would speed or slow down their servers ?

you will never get a speed up from using Dual Parity.    The only question is whether you get a negligible or significant slowdown when running parity checks.

OK, was there going to be some tool/script to let people know if their system will noticeably degrade by enabling dual parity ?

LT's view is that performance impact will be "minimal". One might interpret that to mean that if you're hardware with single parity (i.e. 6.1.9) performs well then 6.2 should be fine.

<<<  snip >>>

Here is a link to an earlier thread that addresses some of your questions.

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=51036.0

One thing to bear in mind is that these tests and experiments were only run on AMD CPU's.  I am not sure what impact dual parity is going to have on older and slower Intel CPU's. 

Also, newer slower hardware (after about 2015) may not be impacted as much as older hardware as the CPU's have a new set of extensions that make matrix arithmetic operations much faster.

With my Test Bed server, the dual parity non-correcting check time is 10hr 42m and the single parity time would be in the 7hr 52m range.  (I have not checked this with ver 6.2 but I do have a time from one of the later rc versions.)  I have not really checked the direct-write-to-array speeds but I would suspect that they will be about 40% slower.  (I would expect that the Sempron in my Media server would really be impacted (close to double for the parity checking time) if I were to go to dual parity on it.  As you might surmise, I have no intention of going to dual parity on that server.  In fact, I will probably move the parity2 disk to a data disk on the Test Bed when I need more storage space!) 

Updated from rc5 and since then no WebGUI and no shares are available.  Logged in to the console and ran 'diagnostics' (attached).  Network.cfg looks correct. 

At the console, I do see the system trying to ping github:

ping: unknown host github.com

Can you hit the webUI via the IP address (192.168.0.202)? 

Try setting static DNS (and gateway addresses) up.  8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4 and 192.168.0.1 for a gateway

ok... How about something like this from me:

Unlike 6.1.9, the docker system in 6.2 no longer supports the docker.img file to be located on an disk mounted with the Unassigned Devices plugin.  You must locate either on the cache drive (if you don't have one, use your unassigned devices drive and set all of your shares to not use the cache drive) or on the array (but performance will suffer if doing this)

So this means that I cannot continue to use my current setup? Have a 256GB SSD mounted via UD that stores my docker.img and my downloads are written to it. Then I have a regular 500GB hard-drive as cache disk where these downloads get moved to once they are finished.

I would love to store the Docker.img on the SSD for performance reasons.

So my only option right now, as I see it, is to use the SSD as cache, remove the old cache disk and run mover more than once a day?! Could use the "move at percentage" script from the user scripts plugin...

Is my understanding of this correct?

I have my vms, appdata, docker.img and libvirt.img on a UD mounted ssd @ /mnt/domains. You just have to manually type in the location.

mnt/domains/system/docker/docker.img

/mnt/domains/appdata

/mnt/domains/system/libvirt/libvirt.img

/mnt/domains

Just a question here.....

By any chance has the BTRFS balancing options been updated in the stable build? I remember from a few beta builds ago that there was going to be a fix for switching the BTRFS cache pool from raid 1 to raid 0, and having it not rebuild the pool back to raid 1 every time you added/removed a drive. I know I may be one of the very few users on here who is running their cache pool in raid 0, but I do have my reasons (space and speed).

Behavior is still the same, i.e., if you add a 3rd disk to a 2 disk raid0 pool it will balance to raid1.

Although Tom hinted this could be changed in the future, it was never mentioned as a change for v6.2.

Unlike 6.1.9, the docker system in 6.2 no longer supports the docker.img file to be located on an disk mounted with the Unassigned Devices plugin.  You must locate either on the cache drive (if you don't have one, use your unassigned devices drive and set all of your shares to not use the cache drive) or on the array (but performance will suffer if doing this)

So this means that I cannot continue to use my current setup? Have a 256GB SSD mounted via UD that stores my docker.img and my downloads are written to it. Then I have a regular 500GB hard-drive as cache disk where these downloads get moved to once they are finished.

So my only option right now, as I see it, is to use the SSD as cache, remove the old cache disk and run mover more than once a day?! Could use the "move at percentage" script from the user scripts plugin...

I have my vms, appdata, docker.img and libvirt.img on a UD mounted ssd @ /mnt/domains. You just have to manually type in the location.

/mnt/domains/appdata

/mnt/domains

I think that its possible to run into a race situation (at least for docker) where when unRaid goes to start the service, UD hasn't mounted the drive yet.  Net result is that throughout the 6.2 beta/rc series, and already with 6.2 final, many people have had problems with that and the easiest solution is to move it onto a supported drive (cache)

But like everything else in life, YMMV

Updated from rc5 and since then no WebGUI and no shares are available.  Logged in to the console and ran 'diagnostics' (attached).  Network.cfg looks correct. 

Try setting static DNS (and gateway addresses) up.  8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4 and 192.168.0.1 for a gateway

it's already set to static using that IP.  WebGUI and shares aren't reachable, seems like networking isn't working at all

I added the 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4 as DNS servers and everything is still unreachable, both ways.

/mnt/domains/appdata

/mnt/domains

I think that its possible to run into a race situation (at least for docker) where when unRaid goes to start the service, UD hasn't mounted the drive yet.  Net result is that throughout the 6.2 beta/rc series, and already with 6.2 final, many people have had problems with that and the easiest solution is to move it onto a supported drive (cache)

But like everything else in life, YMMV

ah ok. I haven't had that problem. But I'll look into in now.

My unRAID has gone mad! All night long it was sending emails every minute that parity check started. Now webUI doesn't work. It displays the following error:

Warning: parse_ini_file(state/network.ini): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix/template.php on line 43 Warning: extract() expects parameter 1 to be array, boolean given in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix/template.php on line 43. Any ideas what to do?

it's already set to static using that IP.  WebGUI and shares aren't reachable, seems like networking isn't working at all

I added the 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4 as DNS servers and everything is still unreachable, both ways.

I would delete the /flash/config/network.cfg on your flash drive, reboot, and setup your network from scratch.

My unRAID has gone mad! All night long it was sending emails every minute that parity check started. Now webUI doesn't work. It displays the following error:

Warning: parse_ini_file(state/network.ini): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix/template.php on line 43 Warning: extract() expects parameter 1 to be array, boolean given in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix/template.php on line 43. Any ideas what to do?

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=51891.msg498451#msg498451

I would delete the /flash/config/network.cfg on your flash drive, reboot, and setup your network from scratch.

And I can setup networking via the console?

My unRAID has gone mad! All night long it was sending emails every minute that parity check started.

This is one reason why I am a bit weary of setting up email notifications as there is no control of the rate at which they might be sent

Before I came to Unraid I used Buffalo TeraStations on which I had set up email notifications.  All was fine for a number of years with it sending the occasional email when it did its routine checks until a disk error made it report a fault.  Of course this would happen while I was away from home unable to do anything.  By the time I could access the system several days later it had sent some thousands of emails (about 1 every 4 or 5 seconds).   

My ISP noticed the excessive number of emails and gave me an official warning that my system was sending spam emails (even though they were all addressed to me) and if it occurred again they would terminate my account.

No, but unRaid will revert to defaults which should work.  If it doesn't then you'll have to manually edit network.cfg and put in the dns / gateway addresses

Today I updated to 6.2 on this server, and I can no longer access the SMB shares via W10 anymore on any client.  It asks for a login, and is trying to use the user I had set up previously for read/write access.  Login with that user into unRaid doesn't help.

Likely a Windows issue more than unRaid, but let me ask anyways.....

You probably want to run Windows Credential Manager to remove any cached credentials for the unRAID server.    It is a not untypical Windows issue where it tries to use cached credentials that are not actually correct.

Thank you, itimpi!!! I hit that yesterday (still on 6.1.9 - waiting on a pre-clear to finish before upgrading), and it was driving me nuts!

No, but unRaid will revert to defaults which should work.  If it doesn't then you'll have to manually edit network.cfg and put in the dns / gateway addresses

I've already added the dns & gw to the network.cfg; didn't have any effect.

# Generated settings:

IFNAME[0]="eth0"

DESCRIPTION[0]="Public VM Bridge"

USE_DHCP[0]="no"

IPADDR[0]="192.168.0.202"

NETMASK[0]="255.255.255.0"

GATEWAY="192.168.0.1"

DHCP_KEEPRESOLV="yes"

DNS_SERVER1="8.8.8.8"

DNS_SERVER2="8.8.4.4"

DNS_SERVER3=""

MTU[0]=""

SYSNICS="1"

I removed it, rebooted and checked my router...it's not pulling an IP.  If I run ifconfig from the console, eth0 doesn't have an IP.

Don't know because of presumably the multiple adapters / bridging set up.  I do know that my network config (one adapter and no bridging) doesn't have all that [ 0 ] stuff in it.

I'm sure bonienl or someone else can answer what's going on here.

Did you check the local master setting under SMB?

local master doesn't affect this at all.  The ping fails because the server has no outside communication at all.

I've already added the dns & gw to the network.cfg; didn't have any effect.

# Generated settings:

IFNAME[0]="eth0"

DESCRIPTION[0]="Public VM Bridge"

USE_DHCP[0]="no"

IPADDR[0]="192.168.0.202"

NETMASK[0]="255.255.255.0"

GATEWAY="192.168.0.1"

DHCP_KEEPRESOLV="yes"

DNS_SERVER1="8.8.8.8"

DNS_SERVER2="8.8.4.4"

DNS_SERVER3=""

MTU[0]=""

SYSNICS="1"

I removed it, rebooted and checked my router...it's not pulling an IP.  If I run ifconfig from the console, eth0 doesn't have an IP.

Use the GUI boot option and set up your network.