unRAID Server Release 6.2 Stable Release Available

limetech

- Unlike 6.1.9, the Docker system in 6.2 no longer supports the docker.img file to be located on a disk mounted with the Unassigned Devices plugin.  You must locate it either on the Cache drive or on the array. 

Even if this was never officially supported, this regression is REALLY sad.

No that restriction is not true.  We'll update the OP.

Many many people have trouble with this. Some do not.  Probably a race condition but I still felt my contribution was justified.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

I haven't looked at the UA plugin for a while, as long is it mounts devices in response to 'disks_mounted' event, which takes place before services are restarted, it should work ok.

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

- Unlike 6.1.9, the Docker system in 6.2 no longer supports the docker.img file to be located on a disk mounted with the Unassigned Devices plugin.  You must locate it either on the Cache drive or on the array. 

Many many people have trouble with this. Some do not.  Probably a race condition but I still felt my contribution was justified.

I haven't looked at the UA plugin for a while, as long is it mounts devices in response to 'disks_mounted' event, which takes place before services are restarted, it should work ok.

Like I said works for some fails for most coming from 6.1.  Easiest solution is to just switch to using a cache drive and since I don't use UD for that purpose I haven't bothered figuring it out beyond a solution I know works.

UD mounts its devices on the 'disks_mounted' event.

I have another wish, something discussed in the past as well, but it requires core changes (read: long development).

Let me guess. Multi-threaded webserver for the main gui? Preferably using apache or something mainstream?  :)

It's going to be nginx.

Awesome, I am going to be looking forward to that, should seriously improve performance of the webui, not to mention reduce locking conditions.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Since we're asking for improvements: How about the early patching system I'm requesting?

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=51562.msg494796#msg494796

Its obvious that LT is relying on Slackware as the core, which should make patching a breeze if done early enough - before you start the network or any other service.

I wrote a braindead upgrader once for a fleet of desktop machines, of course since the patch is late and to local disk rather than RAM, I would need to reboot the machine after the patches are applied.

Just wanted to take a moment to give a special thanks to our moderators who have been doing an awesome job in helping support the release of 6.2. You guys are fantastic and thank you for doing what you all do.

I know I'm late to the party but just wanted to +1 this. I have been (and still am) on vacation with limited connectivity. I haven't even done the upgrade myself (just the same as rc5, right?). Don't want to have to reboot since I suspect the housesitter watches plex most of the time.

6.2 Single vs Dual Parity testing on the D525 X7SPA-HF-D525

@Garycase

File Copy during  parity Check

Note that I do NOT copy files (to the Cache) during parity checks normally, however mover is suspended during parity checks so in theory this should be ok

I was unaware of this.... Is there a setting for this or is it automatic?

Kind of disappointed I need to either add a cache drive I don't want, or leave an array disk spinning 24/7 to use docker now.  Not terribly excited with either option.

Well, how else are you going to run Docker?  You can't run it without having a drive, and the drive will be active as the apps within the Dockers will be accessing the drive. 

You also don't HAVE to use the cache drive to cache, you could put a small SSD in there and ONLY use it for Docker and appdata.  A cheap 60GB or 120GB SSD isn't expensive, over here in the UK it's possible to get a 120GB SSD from a decent brand for less than £40.

What you're trying to achieve is like having a car, wanting to drive it, but not being terribly excited by starting the engine.

Well, I had been planning to run Docker the exact same way I have been since Docker support launched, as stated in the part of my post you cut you out of your quote: via an SSD mounted via Unassigned Devices. :)  I have an engine. It works just fine on 6.1.9.  The closest Engine-based car analogy would probably be needing to do an engine swap because you updated the ECU firmware.

Others did mention that you can create a cache drive that doesn't cache anything, so it looks like I'll probably do that. Though Limetech said this should work, so I'm not sure what to do. Wait and see, I guess.

UD mounts its devices on the 'disks_mounted' event.

I'm going to preclear my new parity a couple times to make sure it's stable, then will probably try it this weekend.  Sounds like it *should* work, but just doesn't.  Interesting.

ok so ive got slightly screwed over by the dodgy dynamix update for 6.1.9 (CA auto updates dynamix by default), ive seen the fix for this but thought what the hell, this is a sign from the god-geek that i should just embrace 6.2.0 and plunge straight in :-). the issue i have is that i dont now have a working UI in which to prep for the update, so i cant get to the VM screen in order to disable auto boot on startup (part of the procedure for 6.2.0 is i noted, dont auto start vm before tweak performed). ive done a quick text search across the flash drive but cannot find any reference to auto boot settings.

so the question in short is, does anybody know if its possible to temporarily disable auto boot of a named vm through CLI, im no libvirt expert so it could very well be buried in there somewhere maybe?.

well it all went swimmingly in the end, strangely when i got home i tried the web interface and it all sprang into action (fixed dynamic release for 6.1.9 maybe?), so i was able to get to the vm tab and stop auto start on bootup, which is just as well as you cant configure a vm when the array is stopped, rebuilt loopback docker image in the new location, changed the docker template location for config using a bit of replace magic in notepad++ and finally switched the bridge for the vm, and voila, all is well, very nice release guys, now if LT could only fix that pesky ip table mangle issue :-P

Just a heads-up - after upgrading, all my shares were set to "Use Cache? - No". I only noticed this when the Mover failed to move anything. Is this expected behaviour?

I would not expect existing settings about the cache usage by shares to be changed.  However if you did not have cache enabled at the global level, or if you do not physically have a cache drive then that is the settings I would expect.

Just a heads-up - after upgrading, all my shares were set to "Use Cache? - No". I only noticed this when the Mover failed to move anything. Is this expected behaviour?

I would not expect existing settings about the cache usage by shares to be changed.  However if you did not have cache enabled at the global level, or if you do not physically have a cache drive then that is the settings I would expect.

I had a share change to "Use Cache - Only" the good news is that it's super simple to fix that.

I had a share change to "Use Cache - Only" the good news is that it's super simple to fix that.

just for interest, which share was that.    I was wondering if it was something like the appdata share that would normally have that setting.

Write Speed Test

• Write speed to the Cached Share, all other hardware and test file the same (4 GB  ISO File)
  • V5 near 100 MB/s
  • V6.1.9 max of 40 MB/s
  • V2.0 57 MB/s

v6.2 Write speeds are still not as fast as v5, however it is nearly 40% quicker than v 6.1.9!  The low Cache write speeds have been my biggest complaint with v6, however the benefits far outweigh this obstacle.

I strongly recommend looking into adjusting your disk tunables, they can make a dramatic difference.  It's possible you may be able to get close to v5 speeds again.

Oh my goodness... Parity check post squids modified tunables script,  set to Unthrottled unlimited/unteathered....  2 threads around 80%  2 up to 40%.  And I can now watch a DVD without fail or a 1080p with only an occasional stutter during the parity check.    On track to shave a goodly chunk of time off of the check too!  Awesome recommendation RobJ