unRAID Server Release 6.2 Stable Release Available

limetech

I have a strange situation with networking.

Here is my network.cfg:

# Generated settings:
IFNAME[0]="br0"
BONDNAME[0]="bond0"
BONDING_MIIMON[0]="100"
BRNAME[0]="br0"
BRSTP[0]="no"
BRFD[0]="0"
BONDING_MODE[0]="5"
BONDNICS[0]="eth0 eth1"
BRNICS[0]="bond0"
DESCRIPTION[0]=""
USE_DHCP[0]="no"
IPADDR[0]="192.168.1.3"
NETMASK[0]="255.255.255.0"
GATEWAY="192.168.1.1"
DHCP_KEEPRESOLV="yes"
DNS_SERVER1="192.168.1.1"
DNS_SERVER2=""
DNS_SERVER3=""
MTU[0]=""
VLANID[0,1]="1"
DESCRIPTION[0,1]="Home"
USE_DHCP[0,1]="yes"
VLANID[0,2]="2"
DESCRIPTION[0,2]="Cameras"
USE_DHCP[0,2]="yes"
VLANID[0,3]="3"
DESCRIPTION[0,3]="Media"
USE_DHCP[0,3]="yes"
VLANID[0,4]="4"
DESCRIPTION[0,4]="Handyman"
USE_DHCP[0,4]="yes"
VLANS[0]="5"
SYSNICS="1"

My server has a static IP address and I have four VLANs defined with DHCP IPs assigned.

ip route:

default via 192.168.1.1 dev br0 
127.0.0.0/8 dev lo  scope link 
169.254.0.0/16 dev br0.1  proto kernel  scope link  src 169.254.200.30  metric 216 
169.254.0.0/16 dev br0.2  proto kernel  scope link  src 169.254.200.30  metric 217 
169.254.0.0/16 dev br0.3  proto kernel  scope link  src 169.254.200.30  metric 218 
169.254.0.0/16 dev br0.4  proto kernel  scope link  src 169.254.200.30  metric 219 
172.17.0.0/16 dev docker0  proto kernel  scope link  src 172.17.0.1 
192.168.1.0/24 dev br0  proto kernel  scope link  src 192.168.1.3 
192.168.122.0/24 dev virbr0  proto kernel  scope link  src 192.168.122.1 linkdown 

/usr/bin/nmblookup -M -- - 2>/dev/null | /usr/bin/grep -Pom1 '^\S+'

Shows 192.168.122.1 as the master browser.  That is virbr0 and it shows the link as down.  How can that be the master browser?

mediaserver-diagnostics-20160921-1959.zip

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is there a more detailed writeup on Turbo Write available than the short text block from the blog (and wiki)? A friend and I are slightly confused on how exactly it's done / works. Why does it spin up all the disks? Does unRAID do striping now? Or does it just distribute files in a different way over the HDDs (ignoring settings like high water/fill up etc.)? How exactly does the new writing algo work?

Would be nice to read a bit more about it.

Turbo write keeps all disks spinning for a write to any one disk. The net difference is without turbo write, we have to do a read, modify, write.  With turbo write it's just a reconstruct write, which is the same method we use to rebuild a failed disk.

JonP gave a short description of it, I thought I might give a longer description, detail the differences, and discuss the ramifications, found here:

Turbo write

It's definitely the long-winded version.  I put it into the Lounge, because I had no clue where an article like this should go.  It can move elsewhere if desired...  I thought about the wiki, thought about the FAQ, thought about right here in the announcement thread, but decided this kind of thing might want discussion, so seems better as its own forum topic.

I just installed 6.2 Stable on a new server.

Regarding md_write_method, on my other three unRAID servers, I mainly use read/modify/write, but I have one backup server that I use reconstruct write on.  The behavior on those servers is as I expect.  They are all also running 6.2 Stable.

On this new server, no matter what I've tried, I always get the reconstruct write behavior.  I've tried setting it via the web GUI, via command line, rebooting after changing it, powering cycling, both Auto and read/modify/write, setting it to reconstruct write, then back.  No joy.

I can tell it's using the reconstruct write method both by the Reads/Writes columns on the main web GUI page, and the drive activity lights on the SAS enclosure.

One possible explanation that comes to mind is that I didn't let the Parity Sync finish, wanting to test write speeds between the two write methods first.  In fact I wondered if it would bother trying to maintain parity even when it's know to be invalid (the answer was yes).

(Hopefully this is the right place to post this, if not let me know and I'll post it there instead.)

And thanks for everyone's hard work at getting this release out.

syslog.txt

... Shows 192.168.122.1 as the master browser.  That is virbr0 and it shows the link as down.  How can that be the master browser?

This is normal behavior. The local master role can be assigned to any of the interfaces present in the system.

Do

nmblookup -A 192.168.122.1

And you will see your system announces itself multiple times with the above IP address selected as MSBROWSE entity.

I just installed 6.2 Stable on a new server.

Regarding md_write_method, on my other three unRAID servers, I mainly use read/modify/write, but I have one backup server that I use reconstruct write on.  The behavior on those servers is as I expect.  They are all also running 6.2 Stable.

On this new server, no matter what I've tried, I always get the reconstruct write behavior.  I've tried setting it via the web GUI, via command line, rebooting after changing it, powering cycling, both Auto and read/modify/write, setting it to reconstruct write, then back.  No joy.

I can tell it's using the reconstruct write method both by the Reads/Writes columns on the main web GUI page, and the drive activity lights on the SAS enclosure.

One possible explanation that comes to mind is that I didn't let the Parity Sync finish, wanting to test write speeds between the two write methods first.  In fact I wondered if it would bother trying to maintain parity even when it's know to be invalid (the answer was yes).

(Hopefully this is the right place to post this, if not let me know and I'll post it there instead.)

And thanks for everyone's hard work at getting this release out.

With parity assigned but invalid, all writes are reconstruct-writes regardless of whether parity sync is running or not.

edit: if all you want to do is test performance, you can do a 'New Config: retain parity,data,cache" and then click box 'Parity is already valid' when you Start array.  Just don't forget at some point you should again do the same 'New Config' and let it generate parity normally or else if a drive dies you won't be able to rebuild it  :P

With parity assigned but invalid, all writes are reconstruct-writes regardless of whether parity sync is running or not.

edit: if all you want to do is test performance, you can do a 'New Config: retain parity,data,cache" and then click box 'Parity is already valid' when you Start array.  Just don't forget at some point you should again do the same 'New Config' and let it generate parity normally or else if a drive dies you won't be able to rebuild it  :P

I get it now.  Rather than generate new parity based on the current parity (since that's not valid), generate it from just the data.

Thanks for that information and the tip on working around that behavior if desired.

... Shows 192.168.122.1 as the master browser.  That is virbr0 and it shows the link as down.  How can that be the master browser?

This is normal behavior. The local master role can be assigned to any of the interfaces present in the system.

Do

nmblookup -A 192.168.122.1

And you will see your system announces itself multiple times with the above IP address selected as MSBROWSE entity.

Yes.  I see that, but when I do this:

/usr/bin/smbclient -g -L '192.168.122.1' -U% 2>/dev/null|/usr/bin/awk -F'|' '/Server/{print $2}'|sort

I get:

IPC$
MEDIASERVER
RT-AC5300
flash

This shows my server and router and no other devices on the 192.168.1.x network.

My router is set as a master browser and the above command on 192.168.1.1 shows:

DANLANDON
xxxxxx
xxxxxxSERVER
MEDIAROOM
MEDIASERVER
xxxxxxLAPTOP
RT-AC5300

I use this scheme to lookup servers for UD.

When you say the master browser can be set to any interface, how does one do that?  I would think br0 would be the correct interface.

When you say the master browser can be set to any interface, how does one do that?  I would think br0 would be the correct interface.

I haven't studied the behavior in detail, but know that any available interface can be picked as source for the local master functionality.

Perhaps Samba allows for a specific/preferred selection, don't know if that is possible or how to configure this.

I haven't studied the behavior in detail, but know that any available interface can be picked as source for the local master functionality.

Perhaps Samba allows for a specific/preferred selection, don't know if that is possible or how to configure this.

I understand.  I think the choice of br0 though would be a better choice and not virbr0.  I wonder how samba makes the choice?

EDIT: I think with multiple subnets, I would need a WINS server to resolve the netbios names across subnets.  I'm doing a little experimenting right now.  Hold for the moment.

I understand.  I think the choice of br0 though would be a better choice and not virbr0.  I wonder how samba makes the choice?

EDIT: I think with multiple subnets, I would need a WINS server to resolve the netbios names across subnets.  I'm doing a little experimenting right now.  Hold for the moment.

Here is what I've found.  Add this to the smb.conf in the global section:

interfaces = br0 lo
    bind interfaces only = yes

I don't know if this is the complete or correct answer, but it did work for me.  I think you would have to figure out the default interface and use that.  It might be eth0 for users without bonding.  I don't know the inner working of unRAID when it comes to networks.

Question:  Why does a VLAN setting of 'Automatic' use a default network mask of 255.255.0.0 and not 255.255.255.0?

I'm having disk performance issues with 6.2, that are not related to parity or disk tunables.

My test system has 32GB RAM and no parity drive.  I have a 4-drive SSD RAID as cache and another single SSD as another drive outside the array.

hdparm test the RAID at 700MB/S and the standalone SSD at 400MB/sec.

Server and Win7 workstation both have Intel 10GbE cards with a crossover cable.

Copying ramdisk-to-ramdisk with large (>4GB) files before upgrade to 6.2 Stable, I used to be able to copy each way at consistently well over 500MB/sec.  Copying to/from cache would get similar results (principally because I have 32GB RAM, so everything was in buffers).

Since upgrade to 6.2 stable, I/O performance is crap.  Writing to the server (ramdisk or SSD) tops out about 260MB/sec.  Reading from the server (RAM disk or SSD) is even worse, at 90MB/sec (and it is very choppy).

I've tried most of the tweaks mentioned to no avail.

Suggestions?

Upgraded from 6.1.9 to 6.2 via webgui. After reboot I cannot anymore access the webgui and my shares. If I boot into Safe Mode then everything works, except of course for plugins etc. Perhaps some plugin compatibility issue with 6.2. I don't have any docker container. I'm posting my syslog in case someone could help. I captured it by copying locally to the root of the flash drive while normally booted, not in Safe Mode. Thanks

syslog.zip

Upgraded from 6.1.9 to 6.2 via webgui. After reboot I cannot anymore access the webgui and my shares. If I boot into Safe Mode then everything works, except of course for plugins etc. Perhaps some plugin compatibility issue with 6.2. I don't have any docker container. I'm posting my syslog in case someone could help. I captured it by copying locally to the root of the flash drive while normally booted, not in Safe Mode. Thanks

You're going to need to try enabling plugins that you had installed one by one until you find the culprit that is the issue.

You're going to need to try enabling plugins that you had installed one by one until you find the culprit that is the issue.

Looking at your log, deluged is really struggling:

Sep 22 20:08:42 Tower deluged: [ERROR   ] 20:08:42 json_api:229 Error calling method `auth.login`
Sep 22 20:08:42 Tower deluged: [ERROR   ] 20:08:42 json_api:230 must be string or buffer, not bool
Sep 22 20:08:42 Tower deluged: Traceback (most recent call last):
Sep 22 20:08:42 Tower deluged:   File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/deluge/ui/web/json_api.py", line 221, in _handle_request
Sep 22 20:08:42 Tower deluged:     result = self._exec_local(method, params, request)
Sep 22 20:08:42 Tower deluged:   File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/deluge/ui/web/json_api.py", line 188, in _exec_local
Sep 22 20:08:42 Tower deluged:     return meth(*params)
Sep 22 20:08:42 Tower deluged:   File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/deluge/ui/web/auth.py", line 326, in login
Sep 22 20:08:42 Tower deluged:     if self.check_password(password):
Sep 22 20:08:42 Tower deluged:   File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/deluge/ui/web/auth.py", line 202, in check_password
Sep 22 20:08:42 Tower deluged:     s.update(utf8_encoded(password))
Sep 22 20:08:42 Tower deluged: TypeError: must be string or buffer, not bool
Sep 22 20:09:41 Tower deluged: [ERROR   ] 20:09:41 json_api:229 Error calling method `auth.login`
Sep 22 20:09:41 Tower deluged: [ERROR   ] 20:09:41 json_api:230 must be string or buffer, not bool
Sep 22 20:09:41 Tower deluged: Traceback (most recent call last):
Sep 22 20:09:41 Tower deluged:   File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/deluge/ui/web/json_api.py", line 221, in _handle_request
Sep 22 20:09:41 Tower deluged:     result = self._exec_local(method, params, request)
Sep 22 20:09:41 Tower deluged:   File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/deluge/ui/web/json_api.py", line 188, in _exec_local
Sep 22 20:09:41 Tower deluged:     return meth(*params)
Sep 22 20:09:41 Tower deluged:   File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/deluge/ui/web/auth.py", line 326, in login
Sep 22 20:09:41 Tower deluged:     if self.check_password(password):
Sep 22 20:09:41 Tower deluged:   File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/deluge/ui/web/auth.py", line 202, in check_password
Sep 22 20:09:41 Tower deluged:     s.update(utf8_encoded(password))
Sep 22 20:09:41 Tower deluged: TypeError: must be string or buffer, not bool
Sep 22 20:10:41 Tower deluged: [ERROR   ] 20:10:41 json_api:229 Error calling method `auth.login`
Sep 22 20:10:41 Tower deluged: [ERROR   ] 20:10:41 json_api:230 must be string or buffer, not bool
Sep 22 20:10:41 Tower deluged: Traceback (most recent call last):
Sep 22 20:10:41 Tower deluged:   File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/deluge/ui/web/json_api.py", line 221, in _handle_request
Sep 22 20:10:41 Tower deluged:     result = self._exec_local(method, params, request)
Sep 22 20:10:41 Tower deluged:   File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/deluge/ui/web/json_api.py", line 188, in _exec_local
Sep 22 20:10:41 Tower deluged:     return meth(*params)
Sep 22 20:10:41 Tower deluged:   File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/deluge/ui/web/auth.py", line 326, in login
Sep 22 20:10:41 Tower deluged:     if self.check_password(password):
Sep 22 20:10:41 Tower deluged:   File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/deluge/ui/web/auth.py", line 202, in check_password
Sep 22 20:10:41 Tower deluged:     s.update(utf8_encoded(password))
Sep 22 20:10:41 Tower deluged: TypeError: must be string or buffer, not bool

You also have nerp pack installed.  Some of those packages may not be compatible with 6.2.

Yes deluged has always (even since unraid 5) been reporting this kind of errors but still working fine. Even funnier is that now when I normal boot it works fine. I can see that through it's web interface and I can see torrents are online and it has access to the files in the share dedicated to it. So I guess it's something else. Thanks so much!

However, I don't know how to enable plugins one at a time... If you can tell me quickly, otherwise I will look for it.

I'm having disk performance issues with 6.2, that are not related to parity or disk tunables.

My test system has 32GB RAM and no parity drive.  I have a 4-drive SSD RAID as cache and another single SSD as another drive outside the array.

hdparm test the RAID at 700MB/S and the standalone SSD at 400MB/sec.

Server and Win7 workstation both have Intel 10GbE cards with a crossover cable.

Copying ramdisk-to-ramdisk with large (>4GB) files before upgrade to 6.2 Stable, I used to be able to copy each way at consistently well over 500MB/sec.  Copying to/from cache would get similar results (principally because I have 32GB RAM, so everything was in buffers).

Since upgrade to 6.2 stable, I/O performance is crap.  Writing to the server (ramdisk or SSD) tops out about 260MB/sec.  Reading from the server (RAM disk or SSD) is even worse, at 90MB/sec (and it is very choppy).

I've tried most of the tweaks mentioned to no avail.

Suggestions?

I'm also have horrible read speed via a docker reading from a share. Not sure what information I should provide on this to trouble shoot?

Yes deluged has always (even since unraid 5) been reporting this kind of errors but still working fine. Even funnier is that now when I normal boot it works fine. I can see that through it's web interface and I can see torrents are online and it has access to the files in the share dedicated to it. So I guess it's something else. Thanks so much!

However, I don't know how to enable plugins one at a time... If you can tell me quickly, otherwise I will look for it.

Install CA (Community Applications) if you don't already have it installed.  Then remove your plugins one at a time.  Once they are all removed, I'd reboot to be sure there is nothing left from any of the plugins.  Some plugins don't do a great job of cleaning up after themselves.

Then go to Apps and click on the 'Previous Apps' button and all your uninstalled plugins will show.  You can then choose one at a time to re-install.

I'm also have horrible read speed via a docker reading from a share. Not sure what information I should provide on this to trouble shoot?

As ever, it always starts with the diagnostics.  Please see Need help? Read me first!, and attach the diagnostics zip.

However, this sounds more like a support issue, either with that container or an array drive or a misconfiguration.  May I suggest you start a new topic in General Support?  Repeat what you said here, and include your diagnostics.

Deluge has been depreciated for a while. It was always a pain to get working as a plugin. You should try a docker. The python it installs is not compatible with 6.2. NerdPack won't install any 6.1 packages. In fact the settings page will pop up with a notice and tell you to click apply to download and install the new packages. You should also remove the dynamix.plg

"Your path is clear ...." => I love that quote!

Community Applications: https://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=40262.0

Then ...

Linuxserver.io Deluge docker: https://www.linuxserver.io/index.php/2015/10/16/docker-deluge/

Automatic System Shares

When starting the array with at least one cache device, a share called "system" will be automatically created.  Inside, two subfolders will be created (docker and libvirt respectively).  Each of these folders will contain a loopback image file for each service. 

Upon adding your first application via Docker, the appdata share will be created (set to cache=only).

Upon downloading your first VirtIO driver ISO through the webGui (under Settings -> VM Manager), the isos share will be created (set to cache=no).  If you do not need the VirtIO drivers (meaning you are only using Linux-based guest VMs), you will need to manually add the isos share.

Upon adding your first VM with a virtual disk, the domains share will be created automatically (set to cache=only).

NOTE:  If you do NOT have a cache device, you will need to add those three shares manually if you wish to utilize apps or VMs on unRAID.

I just updated to 6.2 from 6.1.9 and found I don't have the System share created. It is not listed in the share tab. I have a cache device, which the cache tab lists correctly. If I try to manually create a System share, I get a message that the System share has been deleted.

Thoughts?

Edited to add:

Looking at the log, my server thinks the cache disk is full. From log:

Sep 23 10:06:11 TARDIS shfs/user: cache disk full

But the array lists it has having 1 TB free (it's a 1-TB disk with 28 MB on it currently).

Any ideas why it would like the cache is full?

I occasionally get errors when hard linking still. I've been using it ever since it was available in the RC. I am still on RC4 as I haven't had a chance to shut down my VMs and reboot but I don't believe there is a difference between that and the latest release as far as hard linking goes. I can troubleshoot more once I get the chance but I am getting "Invalid cross-device link" when trying to create a hard link between shares. My disk are getting pretty full so that might be relevant. Any ideas?