unRAID Server Release 6.2 Stable Release Available

limetech

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I upgraded to 6.2 this morning. Everything seems to be working ok.

The only thing I'm seeing that I don't understand is if I view my DockerAppData share which is set to cache only it shows up on the UNRAID desktop as /mnt/user/DockerAppData.

When viewed at the Linux level all User Shares appear as sub-folders under /mnt/user

Just wanted to take a moment to give a special thanks to our moderators who have been doing an awesome job in helping support the release of 6.2. You guys are fantastic and thank you for doing what you all do.

Thanks to YOU guys at Limetech for a really nice upgrade with 6.2

By the way, have you had a chance to take a look at this issue?

https://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=51878.0

REALLY strange that it boots in GUI mode, but simply goes in a reboot loop otherwise.

Have looked at it but can't reproduce just yet. Still a little perplexed on that one but definitely seems like hardware may be a little buggy there.

I had the *exact* same problem when I upgraded last night.  Tried different USB ports, stick, fresh install, etc, etc.  Only having it boot in GUI mode works.  Memory test came up with no issues, and a parity check completed with no errors.  Can't find anything useful logged anywhere apparently.  It's just bizarre.

I have a SuperMicro X11SSH-F with a Xeon BX80662E31230V5, 32GB ECC RAM, 7 4TB drives, and  2 850EVO SSDs.

Just wanted to take a moment to give a special thanks to our moderators who have been doing an awesome job in helping support the release of 6.2. You guys are fantastic and thank you for doing what you all do.

Thanks to YOU guys at Limetech for a really nice upgrade with 6.2

REALLY strange that it boots in GUI mode, but simply goes in a reboot loop otherwise.

Have looked at it but can't reproduce just yet. Still a little perplexed on that one but definitely seems like hardware may be a little buggy there.

I had the *exact* same problem when I upgraded last night.  Tried different USB ports, stick, fresh install, etc, etc.  Only having it boot in GUI mode works.  Memory test came up with no issues, and a parity check completed with no errors.  Can't find anything useful logged anywhere apparently.  It's just bizarre.

I have a SuperMicro X11SSH-F with a Xeon BX80662E31230V5, 32GB ECC RAM, 7 4TB drives, and  2 850EVO SSDs.

Interesting. I have the Supermicro X11SSH-LN4F with no issues, I think the boards are pretty similar aside from the 4 nics.

Can you attach your diagnostics here?  I'd like to compare with the other user with this issue, see what is common.  I notice they too have a recent SuperMicro.

Can you also attach a copy of your dmesg file?  The following will copy it to your flash drive:

cp /var/log/dmesg /boot/dmesg.txt

I think that one way to sort this issue (and might be a good generic option for plugins anyway) is to have the release notes displayed automatically when you select to install the update, and the install only actually happens when you click a button that is at the end of these notes.  I would think that it would be acceptable to update such notes with new information that is discovered so that you always get the latest version of such notes.

This as I mentioned wont work.  Users might skip a (few) versions then upgrade.  In this most recent example, if the user jumps from 6.1 to 6.3, the 6.3 upgrade wouldn't have a message not point to the thread for 6.2, which is where Users are now told to delete docker.img as an example.

Release notes are good, but the upgrade mechanism needs to make the call and do the work.  Maybe at the end, tell the User what it did as it upgraded across versions.

A good (smaller) example of this is how Kodi does DB scheme upgrades.  It basically sees what version you are running, what you are upgrading to, and runs each intermediary update sequentially to get it to the version and state that it has to get to.

Now to the crux of the problem: All my shares are showing, but some of the user shares are empty when you click through network shares (Multiple windows machines as well as an ubuntu-based Kodi system), as well as through Putty and Midnight Commander.

Disk shares show all files correctly. Before I go through the whole diagnostics posting etc, any obvious things I may have overlooked?

I didn't manually create any of the user shares. UnRaid created them from the top level folders on the drives. Could that be related? Also, the really odd thing is that some of the User Shares are fine...

Thanks!

Had part of this same issue, after the upgrade, whole server went completely off the workgroup, both on pc and kodi.  Couldn't login at all via SMB anywhere, regardless of that working prior to the upgrade (came from 6.1.9, absolutely no issues).  No idea what got changed in this release to do that and to completely destroy all credentials associated with unraid, seeing as it's not exactly mentioned in the upgrade notes, but I've downgraded back to 6.1.9 and will be sticking with it for the foreseeable future til someone can confirm why this even occurred and how to prevent it.

I'm having disk performance issues with 6.2, that are not related to parity or disk tunables.

. . . . .<snip>

I am back to report that I found the culprit(s)....(hint:  not unRAID)

Basically, it was that I had enabled NTFS compression on my ramdisk on my workstation.  But there's more.

On my Win7 workstation I use a write-back disk cache (FanchCache/PrimoCache) and I had upgraded to a new version a few weeks ago.  That version was a trial, and it expired but I was unaware of it.  When the write-back cache was in place, the NTFS compression delays were never seen. 

It just happened that the cache software trial expired the same day I upgraded to 6.2 stable.

Profiling this pig also revealed the NTFS compression work is single threaded.

I'm getting over 1GB/sec writing to unRAID now, but still getting only 500MB/sec down .... but it is no longer choppy.

I occasionally get errors when hard linking still. I've been using it ever since it was available in the RC. I am still on RC4 as I haven't had a chance to shut down my VMs and reboot but I don't believe there is a difference between that and the latest release as far as hard linking goes. I can troubleshoot more once I get the chance but I am getting "Invalid cross-device link" when trying to create a hard link between shares. My disk are getting pretty full so that might be relevant. Any ideas?

You can't create a hard link across shares.

I made some changes but Sonarr is still not hard linking. Sonarr logs show "Invalid cross-device link". Here is my config:

/server/ <----- > /mnt/user/server/
/server/downloads  <----- > /mnt/user/server/downloads

TV shows are in /mnt/user/server/TV which Sonarr sees as /server/TV. Is there something in my config causing hard linking to not work?

Can you attach your diagnostics here?  I'd like to compare with the other user with this issue, see what is common.  I notice they too have a recent SuperMicro.

Can you also attach a copy of your dmesg file?  The following will copy it to your flash drive:

Here you go.  Thanks!  It'd be nice not to have to default to GUI mode, considering I don't even have a monitor on the machine....

pvr-diagnostics-20160928-0111.zip

dmesg.txt

Here you go.  Thanks!  It'd be nice not to have to default to GUI mode, considering I don't even have a monitor on the machine....

Note that you can boot to GUI mode even without a monitor attached by editing the syslinux.cfg file to make this the default.  Unless you actually need to use the GUI mode screen this might solve your problem?

Having said that getting to the bottom of why you even need to boot into GUI mode is highly desirable so this can be resolved for future releases.

Now to the crux of the problem: All my shares are showing, but some of the user shares are empty when you click through network shares (Multiple windows machines as well as an ubuntu-based Kodi system), as well as through Putty and Midnight Commander.

Disk shares show all files correctly. Before I go through the whole diagnostics posting etc, any obvious things I may have overlooked?

I didn't manually create any of the user shares. UnRaid created them from the top level folders on the drives. Could that be related? Also, the really odd thing is that some of the User Shares are fine...

Thanks!

Had part of this same issue, after the upgrade, whole server went completely off the workgroup, both on pc and kodi.  Couldn't login at all via SMB anywhere, regardless of that working prior to the upgrade (came from 6.1.9, absolutely no issues).  No idea what got changed in this release to do that and to completely destroy all credentials associated with unraid, seeing as it's not exactly mentioned in the upgrade notes, but I've downgraded back to 6.1.9 and will be sticking with it for the foreseeable future til someone can confirm why this even occurred and how to prevent it.

Are you sure is a result of the upgrade. I am yet to upgrade from 6.1.7 however with the latest Windows 10 upgrade I was no longer able to access the server as a guest without login and needed to create a user for access.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

A comparison of 4 boards, 2 working, 2 rebooting early in the kernel initialization:

* 2 working systems: johnnie.black (J) and CrashnBrn ©

* 2 non-working systems: Herdo (h) and endymion (e)

--- note: using capitals for those that work, lowercase for those that don't

* Because of the timing, happening so soon, can rule out anything to do with the array, anything to do with plugins, anything to do with Dockers, any support for VM's (apart from the BIOS/UEFI).

* Ruling out anything to do with networking, nothing common other than they all have the same onboard I210 Ethernet support.

* Ruling out addon cards, one has an LSI, one has an MPT2SAS, the others have no extra cards.

* DMI identifies the boards as:

--- Supermicro Super Server/X11SSH-F, BIOS 1.0a 12/29/2015    (e)

--- Supermicro Super Server/X11SSM-F, BIOS 1.0b 12/29/2015  (h) and (J)

--- Supermicro Super Server/X11SSH-LN4F, BIOS 1.0b 05/05/2016  ©

--- Note: BIOS identifiers are a little confusing; © has a later date, but the same 1.0b; 1.0a is the same date as 1.0b

* Common to all:

--- the Skylake (Rev 07 support) and the Sunrise Point-H (Rev 31 support).  They are identical except for the PCI ID, 15d9:0884 (e & C) vs 15d9:0896 (h & J).  The 15d9:0896 has additional PCIe support (an extra PCIe x8 bridge and an extra PCIe x16 bridge), probably more lanes.

--- the same disabled IRQ7,  all but © have "kernel: spurious 8259A interrupt: IRQ7".  Perhaps © does not have that message because it has a newer BIOS, but it also removes IRQ7 from service, which is not normal.  Since the kernel recognizes and handles this fine, it's hard to think of any way this is important.

--- "ipmi_si IPI0001:00: The BMC does not support clearing the recv irq bit, compensating, but the BMC needs to be fixed."  This message might be significant, don't know, but hope that each user will attempt to 'fix the BMC'.  Later, each reports "ipmi_si IPI0001:00: Found new BMC", so this appears to be a red herring.

* All have IPMI input devices, an added pseudo USB keyboard device and a pseudo USB mouse device (several have an additional keyboard, several do not, appears to be unimportant)

* Can rule out CPU's:

--- Intel® Xeon® CPU E3-1230 v5 @ 3.40GHz (8 cores)  (e & C)

--- Intel® Pentium® CPU G4400 @ 3.30GHz (2 cores)  (h)

--- Intel® Xeon® CPU E3-1220 v5 @ 3.00GHz (4 cores)  (J)

* ACPI, PCI, IOMMU, DMAR, USB, and drive setup appear to be similar and normal, nothing unusual that I could see.  However we're examining running systems, not the ones that fail to boot.

* Some DRM testing and setup occurs, appears to work on most, fails on one (e).

* Of unknown significance, the Host bridge PCI ID may be slightly different:  (mentioned for completeness)

--- 00:00.0 Host bridge [0600]: Intel Corporation Skylake Host Bridge/DRAM Registers [8086:1918] (rev 07)  (e & C & J)

--- 00:00.0 Host bridge [0600]: Intel Corporation Skylake Host Bridge/DRAM Registers [8086:190f] (rev 07)  (h)

* Only mentioned for completeness, but cannot see any way they could be involved:

--- All have SSD's, (h) has a Samsung 850 PRO, (e) has 2 840 EVO's, (J) has 3 840 EVO's & NVME drive, © has 2 Sandisk SSD's.  They are working fine.

* I have dmesg files for 3 of them, but failed to find anything of significance.  dmesg is very similar to the syslog (except no timestamps), but often has some startup messages that the syslog does not have (e.g. the fsck of the boot flash drive).  That's why I'm interested in it for this.

* Can't rule out differing UEFI configuration, may need to compare them ...

No conclusions above.  It will be interesting to see what is the same in anyone else with the issue, and it will also be interesting to see what might be different in anyone else with the SAME hardware yet working fine.

Thanks!

Are you sure is a result of the upgrade. I am yet to upgrade from 6.1.7 however with the latest Windows 10 upgrade I was no longer able to access the server as a guest without login and needed to create a user for access.

On 6.1.9 and prior, I have no issues with leaving shares as public, and able to access them without needing a login/pass created.

I'm not sure what changed on 6.2 with this issue, but if that is in fact what changed (requiring login/pass credentials), that should be noted in the update details.

I'm still on windows 7.

Thanks!

On 6.1.9 and prior, I have no issues with leaving shares as public, and able to access them without needing a login/pass created.

I'm not sure what changed on 6.2 with this issue, but if that is in fact what changed (requiring login/pass credentials), that should be noted in the update details.

I'm still on windows 7.

Sorry to say that it didn't happen to me with the upgrade ver 6.2 and I have three computers running Windows 7.  Have you typed 'credential manager' into the search bar on the Start Menu to see if you have credentials set on your computers?

No conclusions above.  It will be interesting to see what is the same in anyone else with the issue, and it will also be interesting to see what might be different in anyone else with the SAME hardware yet working fine.  CrashnBrn, would you be able to provide a diagnostics and dmesg for your system, since it's so similar?

My X11SSM-F is working fine, diags and dmesg attached, maybe it can help.

PS. I deleted all the mover lines so syslog was smaller.

dmesg.txt

tower7-diagnostics-20160928-1802.zip

Thanks!

I'm still on windows 7.

But that's the point, there was no known change in 6.2, which is why nothing was mentioned in the update notes.  Since then, a few users such as yourself have had issues with changes in the Windows users and credentials, so I added a note about that in the Additional Upgrade Advice.

There were also considerable changes in the networking configuration, which could be related, as it caused changes in a few users' setups.  But once reconfigured, that should no longer be an issue.  There has also been the common issue in a number of unRAID upgrades, where the newer kernel would identify multiple NIC's in a differing order than previously, causing eth0 to be different, which could result in loss of connectivity or other differences.  Again, once reconfigured or cable switched, no problem.  There's more about the networking changes in the Additional Upgrade Advice.

You quoted DoeBoye, but I can't see a connection, his appears to be a very different issue.

It's been theorized that the recent Windows 10 update caused the issue for some, but we still need that to be confirmed.  And it almost certainly doesn't apply to any other Windows version, unless a recent Windows update carried the same changes.

If you do try again, grab the diagnostics and let us take a look.  Although it does sound more like it could be an issue with Windows credentials (but I'm not an expert).

No conclusions above.  It will be interesting to see what is the same in anyone else with the issue, and it will also be interesting to see what might be different in anyone else with the SAME hardware yet working fine.  CrashnBrn, would you be able to provide a diagnostics and dmesg for your system, since it's so similar?

Yup, I'll get post it up after work tonight.

My X11SSM-F is working fine, diags and dmesg attached, maybe it can help.

johnnie.black and Herdo are using the same motherboard, with the same BIOS.  That should eliminate the motherboard, the Skylake, the Sunrise Point-H, and the BIOS from consideration.

Quick diff of the dmesg:

* Same spurious IRQ7, so that's not an issue.  Same ipmi_si and BMC fix needed, same messages entirely, so that's not it either.

* One probably minor difference, Johnnie has one keyboard and mouse, the rebooting systems have 2 keyboards and one mouse.  It still seems completely a coincidence.

* Johnnie is booting with "pci-stub.ids=8086:10d3 pcie_acs_override=downstream", Intel gigabit card stubbed and ACS_override=downstream.  The nonworking systems don't have that.  Perhaps the override could help?  There's nothing else in the dmesg of significance.  And I don't *think* the override should affect booting.

* Of unknown significance, the Host bridge PCI ID is slightly different:  (mentioned for completeness)

--- 00:00.0 Host bridge [0600]: Intel Corporation Skylake Host Bridge/DRAM Registers [8086:1918] (rev 07)  (Herdo & endymion)

--- 00:00.0 Host bridge [0600]: Intel Corporation Skylake Host Bridge/DRAM Registers [8086:190f] (rev 07)  (johnnie.black)

I found nothing else of significance between the systems.  Only other thing I can think of that could be significant is how the UEFI/BIOS is set up.

Quick diff of the dmesg:

* One probably minor difference, Johnnie has one keyboard and mouse, the rebooting systems have 2 keyboards and one mouse.  It still seems completely a coincidence.

No keyboard or mouse connected, access server by IPMI

* Johnnie is booting with "pci-stub.ids=8086:10d3 pcie_acs_override=downstream", Intel gigabit card stubbed and ACS_override=downstream.  The nonworking systems don't have that.  Perhaps the override could help?  There's nothing else in the dmesg of significance.  And I don't *think* the override should affect booting.

Just to add that don't have any issue with acs override off.

Quick diff of the dmesg:

Just wanted to point out that I also don't have a keyboard or mouse connected (though I did when I did the initial upgrade).

Quick diff of the dmesg:

Well, that shoots down just about every difference!  ;)

Because it does show a USB mouse and keyboard attached, I'm guessing that it must be IPMI creating pseudo devices, for remote usage.

Thanks!

But that's the point, there was no known change in 6.2, which is why nothing was mentioned in the update notes.  Since then, a few users such as yourself have had issues with changes in the Windows users and credentials, so I added a note about that in the Additional Upgrade Advice.

There were also considerable changes in the networking configuration, which could be related, as it caused changes in a few users' setups.  But once reconfigured, that should no longer be an issue.  There has also been the common issue in a number of unRAID upgrades, where the newer kernel would identify multiple NIC's in a differing order than previously, causing eth0 to be different, which could result in loss of connectivity or other differences.  Again, once reconfigured or cable switched, no problem.  There's more about the networking changes in the Additional Upgrade Advice.

You quoted DoeBoye, but I can't see a connection, his appears to be a very different issue.

It's been theorized that the recent Windows 10 update caused the issue for some, but we still need that to be confirmed.  And it almost certainly doesn't apply to any other Windows version, unless a recent Windows update carried the same changes.

If you do try again, grab the diagnostics and let us take a look.  Although it does sound more like it could be an issue with Windows credentials (but I'm not an expert).

For the record, I never figured out exactly what the problem was. I ended up deleting all my mapped drives, shut down my server, rebooted, and recreated the mapping. Everything was back to normal.

A few of observations:

[*]Kodi lost all 'watched' status info and I had to rebuild my library as if the path was completely new... (Even though it was the same as before)

[*]I think it is definitely related to multiple NIC cards, as I had to switch ports to get the GUI to come up (due most likely to the issue RobJ outlined above regarding the kernel remapping eth0 to a different NIC

[*]To be clear, it wasn't just mapped shares that displayed as empty. It was also clicking through network neighbourhood as well as through Midnight Commander

Not sure if that helps anyone, but I figured it doesn't hurt to get it in the public record :)

I upgraded from 6.1.9 to 6.2, that step worked fine.  I also migrated (2) Win7 VMs from 6.1.9 to 6.2, however I noticed I couldn't Windows Remote Desktop into either of the Win7 VMs.  I can open up a VNC Remote window within the unRAID GUI and access each VM just fine.  I noticed each VM is assigned a 192.168.122.x IP, but my DHCP server is 192.168.0.x

I also noticed the Network Bridge in each VM is set to :  virbr0

Again the problem is that the VMs are being assigned 192.168.122.x IPs instead of 192.168.0.x IPs, all else is good/stable with v6.2

Not sure if there is something I missed or need to check in v6.2...any ideas/thoughts?