unRAID Server Release 6.2 Stable Release Available

limetech

I upgraded from 6.1.9 to 6.2, that step worked fine.  I also migrated (2) Win7 VMs from 6.1.9 to 6.2, however I noticed I couldn't Windows Remote Desktop into either of the Win7 VMs.  I can open up a VNC Remote window within the unRAID GUI and access each VM just fine.  I noticed each VM is assigned a 192.168.122.x IP, but my DHCP server is 192.168.0.x

I also noticed the Network Bridge in each VM is set to :  virbr0

Again the problem is that the VMs are being assigned 192.168.122.x IPs instead of 192.168.0.x IPs, all else is good/stable with v6.2

Not sure if there is something I missed or need to check in v6.2...any ideas/thoughts?

Change the VMs bridge to br0.

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So i read boneil expalnation on multuple nics , thank you for your contribution on the multiple nics, i got 3 vm  on the segregated domain Yes! 

However how do dockers get done the only options are Host Bridge or None. If choose bridge it doesn't let me choose what br i want. 

Or do you have to make the whole docker ecosystem use br1 br2 etc instead of br0. 

I upgraded from 6.1.9 to 6.2, that step worked fine.  I also migrated (2) Win7 VMs from 6.1.9 to 6.2, however I noticed I couldn't Windows Remote Desktop into either of the Win7 VMs.  I can open up a VNC Remote window within the unRAID GUI and access each VM just fine.  I noticed each VM is assigned a 192.168.122.x IP, but my DHCP server is 192.168.0.x

Again the problem is that the VMs are being assigned 192.168.122.x IPs instead of 192.168.0.x IPs, all else is good/stable with v6.2

Not sure if there is something I missed or need to check in v6.2...any ideas/thoughts?

I don't have a "br0" selection in the network bridge area of the VM configuration GUI.  I just have "virbr0" as a selection/option.

I tried editing the XML file for one of the VMs but then I get a execution error message ("Cannot get interface MTU on 'br0': No such device") when the VM attempts to start.

Is there anyway to make "br0" an available choice in the network bridge area of the VM configuration GUI?

I don't have a "br0" selection in the network bridge area of the VM configuration GUI.  I just have "virbr0" as a selection/option.

I tried editing the XML file for one of the VMs but then I get a execution error message ("Cannot get interface MTU on 'br0': No such device") when the VM attempts to start.

Is there anyway to make "br0" an available choice in the network bridge area of the VM configuration GUI?

First thing to do is to enable bridging in the network settings of unraid. Then you can set the default bridge in VM manager to br0.

After that, you will always get the br0 as the default interface in a VM template.

To get your existing VM to use br0, just go to the VM template and choose br0 after you enable bridging in network settings.

First thing to do is to enable bridging in the network settings of unraid. Then you can set the default bridge in VM manager to br0.

After that, you will always get the br0 as the default interface in a VM template.

To get your existing VM to use br0, just go to the VM template and choose br0 after you enable bridging in network settings.

Yes, that was the problem.  Bridging was not enabled in Network Settings.  After enabling bridging, I was able to select br0 in each VM and get the correct 192.168.0.x IP assigned.  Thank you dlandon and saarg!

No conclusions above.  It will be interesting to see what is the same in anyone else with the issue, and it will also be interesting to see what might be different in anyone else with the SAME hardware yet working fine.  CrashnBrn, would you be able to provide a diagnostics and dmesg for your system, since it's so similar?

My X11SSM-F is working fine, diags and dmesg attached, maybe it can help.

johnnie.black and Herdo are using the same motherboard, with the same BIOS.  That should eliminate the motherboard, the Skylake, the Sunrise Point-H, and the BIOS from consideration.

Quick diff of the dmesg:

* Same spurious IRQ7, so that's not an issue.  Same ipmi_si and BMC fix needed, same messages entirely, so that's not it either.

* One probably minor difference, Johnnie has one keyboard and mouse, the rebooting systems have 2 keyboards and one mouse.  It still seems completely a coincidence.

* Johnnie is booting with "pci-stub.ids=8086:10d3 pcie_acs_override=downstream", Intel gigabit card stubbed and ACS_override=downstream.  The nonworking systems don't have that.  Perhaps the override could help?  There's nothing else in the dmesg of significance.  And I don't *think* the override should affect booting.

* Of unknown significance, the Host bridge PCI ID is slightly different:  (mentioned for completeness)

--- 00:00.0 Host bridge [0600]: Intel Corporation Skylake Host Bridge/DRAM Registers [8086:1918] (rev 07)  (Herdo & endymion)

--- 00:00.0 Host bridge [0600]: Intel Corporation Skylake Host Bridge/DRAM Registers [8086:190f] (rev 07)  (johnnie.black)

I found nothing else of significance between the systems.  Only other thing I can think of that could be significant is how the UEFI/BIOS is set up.

Just FYI, while my system was boot looping, I didn't have any keyboard or mouse hooked up.  I normally only have power cable and 2 ethernet (one GigE port, one IPMI port) hooked up.  I had to drag a monitor and keyboard/mouse downstairs to find out why it wasn't coming up after the upgrade :)  SuperMicro console redirection via IPMI doesn't work, which is super frustrating.

Quick diff of the dmesg:

* One probably minor difference, Johnnie has one keyboard and mouse, the rebooting systems have 2 keyboards and one mouse.  It still seems completely a coincidence.

No keyboard or mouse connected, access server by IPMI

A bit off-topic, but how the heck did you get console-redirection working?  Every time I try to use it, the Java thing comes up and looks like it's going to connect, and then it gets an error.  Scouring the internet  didn't seem to net anything terribly useful as far as a fix.

A bit off-topic, but how the heck did you get console-redirection working?  Every time I try to use it, the Java thing comes up and looks like it's going to connect, and then it gets an error.  Scouring the internet  didn't seem to net anything terribly useful as far as a fix.

I did have an issue at first with the X11, but contacted Supermicro support and it was promptly solved, recommend you do the same, they have great support.

Hi!

I already applied the update. I was using 6.2rc2. For now everything is working except the onboard sound. I was using my skylake onboard codec on one of the vm's, and now the vm refuses to boot if I check the codec.

Doing some troubleshooting...

Sérgio.

I believe onboard sound was working by accident in the earlier RCs and was "corrected" by upstream linux dev's later in the RC process.

Hi!

I already applied the update. I was using 6.2rc2. For now everything is working except the onboard sound. I was using my skylake onboard codec on one of the vm's, and now the vm refuses to boot if I check the codec.

Doing some troubleshooting...

Sérgio.

If I remember correctly, it worked because of a bug in the kernel. The kernel in 6.2 has the bug squashed,  so you can't pass through the onboard sound anymore.

On the phone, so not going to try to find the posts about it.

@RobJ I've attached my diag and dmesg

Thanks!  I've added your results and johnnie.black's results to the initial report, here, as a comparison of all of the boards.  As you can see there, there is not one suspect difference found, so I have failed to find a significant clue, so far.  There are still possible differences in how the UEFI is configured in the systems, and perhaps the non-working systems should report anything in their UEFI setup that is not default.

I prefer the IPMIView software from SuperMicro instead of connecting to each servers IPMI web page.  The best part is it has its own baked-in JRE, so you don't have to worry about having a compatible version installed on your computer.

https://www.supermicro.com/products/nfo/SMS_IPMI.cfm

I didn't know that existed! And it actually works (even on the phone)!  Awesome, thank you!

This is interesting, and I'd like to know if IPMIView (or any other tool) has a screen buffer for the console, preserved even after the reboot.  The problem here is that what we really needed to see was the console messages (or dmesg) up until just before the reboot, on the rebooting systems, but that hasn't been possible.  If the second machine can capture the screen and still have it after the reboot, then we can know either the last error, or at least how far it got, and can narrow the suspects down.

... As you can see there, there is not one suspect difference found, so I have failed to find a significant clue, so far.  There are still possible differences in how the UEFI is configured in the systems, and perhaps the non-working systems should report anything in their UEFI setup that is not default.

Rob => I've read all of your posts on this and you have indeed done a very detailed comparison of both of the systems with issues and the two nearly identical systems that are working ... I agree there does not seem to be ANY clue that "jumps out" as to what might be wrong.

There MUST be some BIOS setting that's different between the "working" and "non-working" systems => if Herdo & endymion would post their complete BIOS settings (Yes, that's a PITA), then perhaps Johnnie & Crashnbrn could compare them and see anything jumps out.

A couple other things that might provide some clue ...

(a)  If Tom or JonP would provide a very precise outline of the exact difference between the standard and GUI mode boot process => i.e. at what point in the boot process do they differ?

(b)  A video of the console during the boot process (clearly this would require connecting a monitor) => this might capture a message that could provide the "Aha! moment" r.e. what's happening.  Herdo & endymion would need to provide this.

... it's certainly true that just leaving the system set for GUI boot mode "fixes" this issue => but that's hardly a satisfying resolution

Installing and setting up a couple of servers for a customer and came across a bug/issue on one of them.

The log is attached where this is happening but the steps for me to reproduce on this machine is:

1) Start the machine

2) Change cache drive number to 2

3) Assign 2 960GB SSD to the cache positions

4) Start the array and it errors

This ends up hanging the web interface and I was able to get in via telnet and get the log.

If you need any other information let me know!

EDIT: OK, so it appears this happens on both machines if you only assign cache drive(s).  Might want to take a look into that guys as I was hoping to assign some cache drives and get some apps and VM's set up without having any other drives currently assigned (They are - all 16 of them - are currently being precleared)

log.txt

There are still possible differences in how the UEFI is configured in the systems, and perhaps the non-working systems should report anything in their UEFI setup that is not default.

Since I bought mine used, first thing I did was restore bios optimized defaults, only changes I made were:

-select flash drive as boot device

-set IPMI static IP address

-disable LAN PXE boot

All other setting are default if someone having issues wants to try.

Installing and setting up a couple of servers for a customer and came across a bug/issue on one of them.

The log is attached where this is happening but the steps for me to reproduce on this machine is:

1) Start the machine

This ends up hanging the web interface and I was able to get in via telnet and get the log.

EDIT: OK, so it appears this happens on both machines if you only assign cache drive(s).  Might want to take a look into that guys as I was hoping to assign some cache drives and get some apps and VM's set up without having any other drives currently assigned (They are - all 16 of them - are currently being precleared)

That is a bug, you have to have at least data disk assigned to array:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=52227.msg503222#msg503222

Working on get the 6.2.1 release out now....

1) Start the machine

That is a bug, you have to have at least data disk assigned to array:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=52227.msg503222#msg503222

Working on get the 6.2.1 release out now....

OK, kind of figured I needed a drive assigned to the array.  Kind of wish I could start the array to get the cache drives mounted so I could set up dockers and VM's without needing any other drives assigned.  No huge skin off my back though so long as the bug of being able to start the array is squashed!!

Thanks.