Netatalk 2.0.5 (AFP) released with TimeMachine support, need package!

But it is a waste a mess installing Avahi, AFP and Netatalk if he only needs TM support. Creating a sparsebundle image on SBM and writing a file to the share is not much of a "hacking", pretty straightforward and keeps things simple. Configuring Netatalk maybe also a complex task.

I agree that installing and configuring Netatalk (AFP) is a bit cumbersome (Avahi is not required). However, using AFP instead of Samba greatly improves write speed, something that might be very useful on first backup.

hey guys so I'n fairly new to unraid but have a little experience with linux

I'm having a problem connecting via afp.  So I installed the package by copying to a disk and running intallpkg [package].  Are there any other steps that I need to take afterwards.  Thanks for the help

hey guys so I'n fairly new to unraid but have a little experience with linux

I'm having a problem connecting via afp.  So I installed the package by copying to a disk and running intallpkg [package].  Are there any other steps that I need to take afterwards.  Thanks for the help

You had to look a bit further down the topic list ;)

• 4 months later...

Just an update on this, it seems that OSX 10.6.3 breaks the method of using a pre created sparsebundle image over a samba share.  Seems that timemachine was updated and no longer works under this circumstance.  Now, I'm gonna have to figure out another solution for TM to unraid communication :(.  I don't know anything about AFP, NETATALK, or AVAHI can someone please just give me the 10,000 ft view of these technologies.

Thanks,

Chris :(

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Would like to set this up.

With AFP around the corner in unRAID , should I just wait for that? Will that supplant nettalk?

Peter

Yes, wait for unRAID 5.0 b3 with (hopefully) support for AFP. Permissions and ownership are a pain in the *ss with 4.5, so spare yourself the trouble....

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...