**VIDEO GUIDE** How to Install MacOS Mojave or High Sierra as a VM

SpaceInvaderOne

I just updated to 6.2 which had a working OSX VM under 6.1.9 (perfect working). I was able to use the XML from the download to get it working again but the cursor is horrible out of sync. Takes quite a bit of patience/trial error in both the webVNC and TightVNC. The webVSN never synced correctly but TightVNC did.

Any idea on what I need to do to get this fixed?

I just updated to 6.2 which had a working OSX VM under 6.1.9 (perfect working). I was able to use the XML from the download to get it working again but the cursor is horrible out of sync. Takes quite a bit of patience/trial error in both the webVNC and TightVNC. The webVSN never synced correctly but TightVNC did.

using the webvnc the cursor will always be out of sync unfortunately. With tight vnc make sure the screen sharing is enabled.

I dont use either. I use splashtop desktop  http://www.splashtop.com/  the free version works within your own network. It works very well and works with mac, win, and linux.

using the webvnc the cursor will always be out of sync unfortunately. With tight vnc make sure the screen sharing is enabled.

I dont use either. I use splashtop desktop  http://www.splashtop.com/  the free version works within your own network. It works very well and works with mac, win, and linux.

Ahhh... that was it. Sort of. I was using TightVNC and connecting to the web vnc IP instead of the screen sharing IP.

I saw that you were using splashtop and I will be checking out. I have installed on my machine but the cursor sync was so bad i was not able to do much in the VM. I'm definitely going to give it a try.

Hi gridrunner,

Liking your vids! Looked at the create mac os sierra install media usb and disk image video.

I can't however find the link to the files in the description....

Great thanks glad you like them. Ive put the files in the youtube description now. Sorry bit tired today and forgot !!!

I have just put up a video for installing a fresh copy  mac OS Sierra in ovmf and clover as well if you interested. many more unraid vids coming which will be released every friday.

Yes, I have my GPU passthrough. Below is the code I use.

I also testing a rom file ,but I think that is not necessary.

<qemu:commandline>
    <qemu:arg value='-device'/>
    <qemu:arg value='ioh3420,bus=pcie.0,addr=1c.0,multifunction=on,port=1,chassis=1,id=root.1'/>
    <qemu:arg value='vfio-pci,host=06:00.0,bus=root.1,addr=00.0,multifunction=on,x-vga=on,romfile=/mnt/appdata/vbios-VIDIA-GeForce-GTX-660/vbios.rom'/>
    <qemu:arg value='vfio-pci,host=06:00.1,bus=root.1,addr=00.1'/>
    <qemu:arg value='isa-applesmc,osk=xxxxx'/>
    <qemu:arg value='-smbios'/>
    <qemu:arg value='type=2'/>

Yes, I have my GPU passthrough. Below is the code I use.

I also testing a rom file ,but I think that is not necessary.

<qemu:commandline>
    <qemu:arg value='ioh3420,bus=pcie.0,addr=1c.0,multifunction=on,port=1,chassis=1,id=root.1'/>
    <qemu:arg value='vfio-pci,host=06:00.0,bus=root.1,addr=00.0,multifunction=on,x-vga=on,romfile=/mnt/appdata/vbios-VIDIA-GeForce-GTX-660/vbios.rom'/>
    <qemu:arg value='vfio-pci,host=06:00.1,bus=root.1,addr=00.1'/>
    <qemu:arg value='isa-applesmc,osk=xxxxx'/>
    <qemu:arg value='-smbios'/>
    <qemu:arg value='type=2'/>

I am also passing through my gpu (6450) and a keyboard and mouse using host dev.  my code below

<hostdev mode='subsystem' type='pci' managed='yes' xvga='yes'>
      <driver name='vfio'/>
      <source>
        <address domain='0x0000' bus='0x03' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
      </source>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x06' function='0x0'/>
    </hostdev>
    <hostdev mode='subsystem' type='pci' managed='yes'>
      <driver name='vfio'/>
      <source>
        <address domain='0x0000' bus='0x03' slot='0x00' function='0x1'/>
      </source>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x08' function='0x0'/>
    </hostdev>
    <hostdev mode='subsystem' type='usb' managed='no'>
      <source>
        <vendor id='0x046d'/>
        <product id='0xc52b'/>
      </source>
    </hostdev>

The passthrough is working, but as soon as i install the nvidia drivers and reboot, the mouse seems to be stuck in the upper left corner. Keyboard does work. Oddly enough, the mouse works when the drivers are not installed...

In clover there shall be a boot argument that shall enable use of this driver, check nvda_drv=1

EDIT

For me I was loosing HDMI sound with nvidia drivers, even if I reinstalled HDMIAudio-1.1.dmg. Back to OSX Default drivers :-)

//Peter

Screen_Shot_2016-09-24_at_16_38_35.png.30ee36b00d610a02a78ea1ffcc2f7faf.png

Thank you for this guide !!!!

I already have a drive with OSX El Capitan and clover installed working on a physical computer.  Can I use this guide and use under UNRAID?  Any suggestion how to go about it ?

Thanks again - greta stuff

Yes it should be possible. Attach the harddrive to your server as an unassigned disk.

Then use my guide (second video) to create an ovmf xml template but instead of attaching the vdisk as primary drive like below

<disk type='file' device='disk'>
      <driver name='qemu' type='raw' cache='writeback'/>
      <source file='/mnt/user/virtual systems/mac os sierra/vdisk1.img'/>
      <target dev='hda' bus='sata'/>
      <address type='drive' controller='0' bus='0' target='0' unit='0'/>
    </disk>

change it to this

<disk type='block' device='disk'>
      <driver name='qemu' type='raw' cache='writeback'/>
      <source dev='/dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST31000528AS_6VP41EPS'/>
      <target dev='hda' bus='sata'/>
    </disk>

This will pass through the whole disk here named ata-ST31000528AS_6VP41EPS (find out the disk id of your disk and put that in there)

Then booting the vm should just boot straight off the drive. I have done similar before off a usb harddrive connected to unraid.

After its booted use open the efi partition then delete the efi folder and replace it with the one in the video (see the guide). That will have the right clover files for unraid. Let me know how you get on

gridrunner, works like a champ !!!!!

Instead of migrating what i ended up doing was starting fresh.  So used a new drive, used 'diskutil list' to ensure that could get the drive id.  Then followed all of the steps on the guide - replaced the drive area with the instructions you noted above - and all working like a champ.

Only suggestion to the guide is should note on format of the USB, to use GUID Partition and most master boot record. for some reason I missed this and had to redo later

THE ONLY thing that have tried to do with no luck is, increase the size of the virtual screen.  I do not have a graphics card to pass along (VGA), so just enabled screen sharing to connect. However, shows as 800x600 resolution.  I used clover configurator to change on the GUI section, and when restart on the console view it shows garbled but kind off can see it going.  On the screen sharing still just see as 800x600 though.  Will try some other things and of works will post update.

All else working fine.  Will do some stress testing but love fact can take drive out, change EFI config (or use a boot one on another system) and will be up and running.  This is really Really cool !

gridrunner, works like a champ !!!!!

Instead of migrating what i ended up doing was starting fresh.  So used a new drive, used 'diskutil list' to ensure that could get the drive id.  Then followed all of the steps on the guide - replaced the drive area with the instructions you noted above - and all working like a champ.

Only suggestion to the guide is should note on format of the USB, to use GUID Partition and most master boot record. for some reason I missed this and had to redo later

THE ONLY thing that have tried to do with no luck is, increase the size of the virtual screen.  I do not have a graphics card to pass along (VGA), so just enabled screen sharing to connect. However, shows as 800x600 resolution.  I used clover configurator to change on the GUI section, and when restart on the console view it shows garbled but kind off can see it going.  On the screen sharing still just see as 800x600 though.  Will try some other things and of works will post update.

All else working fine.  Will do some stress testing but love fact can take drive out, change EFI config (or use a boot one on another system) and will be up and running.  This is really Really cool !

Great glad you got it working  :)

Yes the reason this is at 800 x 600 is because if you change the resolution in the vm (clover) it doesnt match the ovmf settings and you get the prob you describe.This isnt a problem with gpu passed through.

So for vnc this is what you must do.

1  start vm normally. Change the resolution of clover with clover configurator or edit the config.plist file ( eg 1920 x 1080)

2. reboot the vm but stop on the clover boot loader

3. choose restart on clover screen

4. As it restarts press delete (if using a mac connect a usb keyboard as mac backspace will not work)

5. now you will be in config screen

6. change resolution here to match what you did in step 1.

7. save settings and restart and boot to osx

now you will have resolution you want.

ovmfsettings1080.jpg

desktopclover1080.jpg

Does 10.12 work yet in unraid?

Yes just done a guide to do a fresh install of Sierra on unRAID. Hope you find it useful.

What are the chances we can upgrade an existing install?

Very good, I have done it. I can write the steps I did later, if I remember those

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Off the top of my head.... :-)

How to direct install Sierra from App Store.

First you might need to install the patched Clover to work with CPU = Penryn?

1. This step might not be necessary. Open Clover configuration folder on the root of your system drive or EFI Partition using EFI Mounter v3. Copy necessary kexts to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/. You might not need any kext except HDMIAudio.kext?

2. Download Install macOS Sierra Application from the Mac App Store. When complete the app will be open.

3. Choose system drive for install (Example: Macintosh HD). When complete, the VM will automatically reboot. But you will do a shutdown.

4: Edit XML and change CPU to Penryn.

5: start the VM

6. When Clover boot screen appears, with arrow key go to Boot macOS Install option.  Press spacebar to enter Boot Options and choose Without Caches option and/or Inject Kexts option then Boot Mac OS X with selected options.

7. Complete the installation process. When complete, the VM will automatically reboot.

8. When Clover boot screen appears, choose Boot Mac OS X option (Example: Boot Mac OS X from Macintosh HD). The computer will then complete the update.

Please try and see if this is a good way.

//Peter