**VIDEO GUIDE** How to Install MacOS Mojave or High Sierra as a VM

SpaceInvaderOne

Some of this may be useful for me, I'm going to install 10.6 or 10.7 in a VM. The problem is, both of those require this DSDT patch from 2014, which didn't make it into the 2.5 stable line, according to the Git branch for the 2.5 series. So, I guess I'm going to be installing 6.3 sooner than its stable release, after all.

(Without that patch, I find that both Q35 and PIIX KP with the dreaded HPET error, and I can't seem to make it boot at all with a strictly uniprocessor setup.)

So I ended up giving up on my hd 7770 and just ordered a Gigabyte Radeon RX 460. From what I have read, it appears to be as close to Out-of-Box supported as it gets (Seems to have an issue where the screen stays black until the login screen, but I can live with that).

Tip: As an aside, for anyone annoyed with the laggy mouse performance while installing OSX, I discovered that the Libvirt Hotplug USB plugin allows me to attach a mouse and keyboard to the VM during installation, and mouse lag in VNC was completely gone...

[EDIT] Typo and specified which RX 460, as they don't all work OOB

So I ended up giving up on my hd 7770 and just ordered a Radeon RX 460. From what I have read, it apears to be as close to Out-of-Box supported as it gets (Seems to have an issue where the screen stays black until the login screen, but I can live with that).

Tip: As an aside, for anyone annoyed with the laggy mouse performance while installing OSX, I discovered that the Libvirt Hotplug USB plugin allows me to attach a mouse and keyboard to the VM during installation, and mouse lag in VNC was completely gone...

That's good I hope you have better luck with that GPU.

What a good idea to attach a mouse before installation! I have never thought of doing that I just fought my way through the vnc mouse  installation trying to convince myself its kinda fun!

So I ended up giving up on my hd 7770 and just ordered a Radeon RX 460. From what I have read, it apears to be as close to Out-of-Box supported as it gets (Seems to have an issue where the screen stays black until the login screen, but I can live with that).

What a good idea to attach a mouse before installation! I have never thought of doing that I just fought my way through the vnc mouse  installation trying to convince myself its kinda fun!

Has anyone tried passing bluetooth and using a bluetooth mouse and keyboard? My Server is in another room within bluetooth range. Was thinking of doing HDMI over CAT6 to desk but i don't have a way to get keyboard and mouse over there.

Me too! I even tried using another vbios using the Clover ATIInject function, but no luck. Sigh :(.

This may be better anyhow, since I won't be using the Mac VM, and if it gets updated, any tweaks that I may have instituted to make the 7770 work may need to be redone (and if I'm not there, it could potentially break the VM until I was... And that never goes over well! :)).

Yeah, I was getting irritated, because I must have remade my Sierra VM 8 or 9 times trying to get the video card to work, and was getting tired of the crappy mouse support... Another option, is you can actually navigate 99% of the options with the tab to go between items, and the space bar to activate the button (you would think it would be the Return key...)

Has anyone tried passing bluetooth and using a bluetooth mouse and keyboard? My Server is in another room within bluetooth range. Was thinking of doing HDMI over CAT6 to desk but i don't have a way to get keyboard and mouse over there.

I haven't tried Bluetooth, but I did try 2.4GHZ wireless from 15ft, and it just wasn't reliable (even though the specs said it should be fine). I ended up buying a 50ft ACTIVE extension usb cable (to pass it through the walls) from PrimeCables (cdn company that also resells a bunch of monoprice stuff), and USB works great. Only caveat is it couldn't power an external drive. I've bought a powered hub to see if that helps, but haven't received it yet.

As for HDMI, I spent hours researching all the options, and in the end went with 50ft PASSIVE HDMI cable. I considered cat6 hdmi, various active hdmi solutions, and ended up going with this cable because it was cheap ($20cdn), and was overwhelmingly positively reviewed. Tested and works without issue! :)

Hope that helps!

I haven't tried Bluetooth, but I did try 2.4GHZ wireless from 15ft, and it just wasn't reliable (even though the specs said it should be fine). I ended up buying a 50ft ACTIVE extension usb cable (to pass it through the walls) from PrimeCables (cdn company that also resells a bunch of monoprice stuff), and USB works great. Only caveat is it couldn't power an external drive. I've bought a powered hub to see if that helps, but haven't received it yet.

As for HDMI, I spent hours researching all the options, and in the end went with 50ft PASSIVE HDMI cable. I considered cat6 hdmi, various active hdmi solutions, and ended up going with this cable because it was cheap ($20cdn), and was overwhelmingly positively reviewed. Tested and works without issue! :)

Hope that helps!

Do you know if these work with a usb hub.

My server is about 15-20 ft away from my desk. At the moment i have a standard usb 3.0 ext cable that is connected to a powered usb 3.0 hub. The hub doesnt work well when connected to the server this way if i have more than 2 items plugged in. However if I connect it directly to server i dont get this problem. I see the 3.0 active repeaters are alot more expensive than the 2.0 so was hoping someone might know?

I ended up buying a 50ft ACTIVE extension usb cable (to pass it through the walls) from PrimeCables (cdn company that also resells a bunch of monoprice stuff), and USB works great. Only caveat is it couldn't power an external drive. I've bought a powered hub to see if that helps, but haven't received it yet.

My server is about 15-20 ft away from my desk. At the moment i have a standard usb 3.0 ext cable that is connected to a powered usb 3.0 hub. The hub doesnt work well when connected to the server this way if i have more than 2 items plugged in. However if I connect it directly to server i dont get this problem. I see the 3.0 active repeaters are alot more expensive than the 2.0 so was hoping someone might know?

Perfect Timing! I just got my new usb 3.0 hub set up last night!

This is my setup: USB 3.0 PCI-e Card -> 50' Active USB 2.0 cable -> USB 3.0 powered hub

Observations:

This is on a Windows 10 Pro VM. I still need to test in my Sierra VM

First and foremost, to get anything to work more complicated then a USB flash drive or keyboard/mouse, I had to pass the whole card through. Passing through individual devices plugged in to the hub did not work at all for a usb 3.0 drive, and a usb sound card worked, but had an annoying crackle.

Once I passed through the whole card, everything plugged into the hub was seen and functioned well. Audio crackle was gone from the sound card. USB3.0 external drive was seen and mounted as normal.

Transfer speeds on the USB3.0 drive were acceptable but not stellar. I was seeing an average transfer rate on several GBs of .mp3 files in the neighbourhood of 20-25MB/s. Some peaks hit over 30 MB/s, but the majority of the transfer occurred between 20 and 25.

I looked at active USB 3.0 cables and couldn't even find anything longer than 25' or so. Pricing was also substantially more than I was willing to pay.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with the results. For everyday transfers, 20-25MB/s is fine. If I ever have a huge chunk that needs transferring, I could always just plug it in directly to the card.

HTH!

I have passed through both my internal bluetooth and a bluetooth dongle and they work as expected in Sierra with a Apple Magic Trackpad.

Thankyou @gridrunner I have it up and running and been able to change screen resolution.

Is there any way to be able to enter symbols like "@" ? There's no way to use the "Alt Gr" key.

I'm using the vnc keymap set to "es" (Spain)

<graphics type='vnc' port='5900' autoport='no' websocket='-1' listen='0.0.0.0' keymap='es'>

<listen type='address' address='0.0.0.0'/>

</graphics>

Inside OS VM I have set keyboard also to "Spanish ISO" and also tested "Spanish" without luck.

Using Splashtop also the same problem.

Any other thing to try?

Thankyou

Gus

I ended up buying a 50ft ACTIVE extension usb cable (to pass it through the walls) from PrimeCables (cdn company that also resells a bunch of monoprice stuff), and USB works great. Only caveat is it couldn't power an external drive. I've bought a powered hub to see if that helps, but haven't received it yet.

This is my setup: USB 3.0 PCI-e Card -> 50' Active USB 2.0 cable -> USB 3.0 powered hub

Observations:

First and foremost, to get anything to work more complicated then a USB flash drive or keyboard/mouse, I had to pass the whole card through. Passing through individual devices plugged in to the hub did not work at all for a usb 3.0 drive, and a usb sound card worked, but had an annoying crackle.

Once I passed through the whole card, everything plugged into the hub was seen and functioned well. Audio crackle was gone from the sound card. USB3.0 external drive was seen and mounted as normal.

Transfer speeds on the USB3.0 drive were acceptable but not stellar. I was seeing an average transfer rate on several GBs of .mp3 files in the neighbourhood of 20-25MB/s. Some peaks hit over 30 MB/s, but the majority of the transfer occurred between 20 and 25.

I looked at active USB 3.0 cables and couldn't even find anything longer than 25' or so. Pricing was also substantially more than I was willing to pay.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with the results. For everyday transfers, 20-25MB/s is fine. If I ever have a huge chunk that needs transferring, I could always just plug it in directly to the card.

HTH!

Thanks for info it looks like i will be buying a separate usb 3.0 card I think.

Thankyou @gridrunner I have it up and running and been able to change screen resolution.

Is there any way to be able to enter symbols like "@" ? There's no way to use the "Alt Gr" key.

I'm using the vnc keymap set to "es" (Spain)

<graphics type='vnc' port='5900' autoport='no' websocket='-1' listen='0.0.0.0' keymap='es'>

<listen type='address' address='0.0.0.0'/>

</graphics>

Inside OS VM I have set keyboard also to "Spanish ISO" and also tested "Spanish" without luck.

Using Splashtop also the same problem.

Any other thing to try?

Thankyou

Gus

Maybe use a dedicated keyboard/mouse for the vm.  Just use host dev to passthrough a separate keyboard/mouse (well if you have a spare one !)  setting osx to spanish

Maybe use a dedicated keyboard/mouse for the vm.  Just use host dev to passthrough a separate keyboard/mouse (well if you have a spare one !)  setting osx to spanish

I'm not on the computer, I use "as you told!!!" splashtop to connect from work (working flawlessly), but every time I have to enter for example an email address ... there's no "@" on my keyboard!!!!

Thankyou

Gus

I'm not on the computer, I use "as you told!!!" splashtop to connect from work (working flawlessly), but every time I have to enter for example an email address ... there's no "@" on my keyboard!!!!

Thankyou

Gus

Ok i see. Sorry i am not sure how to set the keyboard like that remotely to spanish but i will try find out.

I use a uk keyboard which is a different layout to the default apple keyboard. To make an @ symbol i must press the shift and 2 as would be on a USA keyboard.  Try to pressing shift and 2 on your keyboard it should do the @ symbol ?

Observations:

HTH!

Thanks for info it looks like i will be buying a separate usb 3.0 card I think.

So mixed news for the USB 3.0 card and Sierra. It passes through without issue using hostdev, but I can't get it to function yet inside of Sierra. Poking around sounds like some kext trickery is required for USB and Sierra, but I haven't been adventurous enough to try.

If you or anyone else has managed to get a USB add-on card to function in Sierra, please let me know how you did it! :).

@gridrunner

Ok i see. Sorry i am not sure how to set the keyboard like that remotely to spanish but i will try find out.

I use a uk keyboard which is a different layout to the default apple keyboard. To make an @ symbol i must press the shift and 2 as would be on a USA keyboard.  Try to pressing shift and 2 on your keyboard it should do the @ symbol ?

In the Spanish keyboard I have a " when I press shift + 2 not the @. Don't you have the "alt gr" key on your keyboards?

To be able to type | I have to press the "alt gr" key + 1.

To be able to type @ I have to press the "alt gr" key + 2.

To be able to type # I have to press the "alt gr" key + 3.

To be able to type € I have to press the "alt gr" key + E.

I'm unable to type all those characters.

In my search to find a solution there seem to be some programs to remap a key to another key, for example it would be easy to remap the "windows" ket to "alt gr" key. 

There's is SEIL or KARABINIER but they don't have yet the Mac OS Sierra version ready.

SEIL:

https://pqrs.org/osx/karabiner/seil.html.en'>https://pqrs.org/osx/karabiner/seil.html.en

Karabinier:

https://pqrs.org/osx/karabiner/

Gus

@gridrunner

In the Spanish keyboard I have a " when I press shift + 2 not the @. Don't you have the "alt gr" key on your keyboards?

To be able to type | I have to press the "alt gr" key + 1.

To be able to type @ I have to press the "alt gr" key + 2.

To be able to type # I have to press the "alt gr" key + 3.

To be able to type € I have to press the "alt gr" key + E.

I'm unable to type all those characters.

In my search to find a solution there seem to be some programs to remap a key to another key, for example it would be easy to remap the "windows" ket to "alt gr" key. 

There's is SEIL or KARABINIER but they don't have yet the Mac OS Sierra version ready.

SEIL:

https://pqrs.org/osx/karabiner/seil.html.en'>https://pqrs.org/osx/karabiner/seil.html.en

Karabinier:

https://pqrs.org/osx/karabiner/

Gus

This may be a longshot but worth a go.  When you are home in front of the server.

1. Pass through a USB Spanish keyboard to the osx VM. Then it will ask you to press a key next to the shift to identify the type of keyboard. so should put it correct for your language. It maybe because you have not used a real keyboard on the VM as yet.

2. then with Splashtop desktop installed on a computer also with Spanish keyboard it should -- maybe -- hopefully  work as you want it to.

3. Then you could probably remove the passed through keyboard and it stays correct.

Just wanted to thank gridrunner (and everyone else who has contributed along the way.) This is great guide with many helpful tips. I now have a couple Sierra vm's up, each using a separate nvidia card (gtx 760, gt710) with no issues (well, after having a few issues that got resolved with some reading.) OVMF and clover are really much more useful (for me) than seabios for tailoring the system to specific needs. 

Hope that helps!

they make hdmi+usb over ethernet. but it's not cheap. https://jet.com/product/detail/3de56a6b14e44e3e91775521d7b350ae?jcmp=pla:ggl:gen_electronics_a1:electronics_accessories_audio_video_splitters_switches_a1_other:na:PLA_348772140_24231279300_pla-161708547660:na:na:na:2&code=PLA15&ds_c=gen_electronics_a1&ds_cid=&ds_ag=electronics_accessories_audio_video_splitters_switches_a1_other&product_id=3de56a6b14e44e3e91775521d7b350ae&product_partition_id=161708547660&gclid=CKy068rcqdACFdcRgQod_kACVQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1UH4FD7374&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC-_-pla-_-Pro+A%2FV+Extender+%26+Repeater-_-9SIA1UH4FD7374&gclid=CP6VxMfcqdACFYQkgQodCzwB3A&gclsrc=aw.ds

I believe that is for use with an independent, non-networked ethernet cable.

• 2 weeks later...

The passthrough is working, but as soon as i install the nvidia drivers and reboot, the mouse seems to be stuck in the upper left corner. Keyboard does work. Oddly enough, the mouse works when the drivers are not installed...

In clover there shall be a boot argument that shall enable use of this driver, check nvda_drv=1

EDIT

For me I was loosing HDMI sound with nvidia drivers, even if I reinstalled HDMIAudio-1.1.dmg. Back to OSX Default drivers :-)

//Peter

I am having quite a difficult time getting HDMI audio to work in sierra. It worked in el capitan for me after installing the hdmi audio kext (1.0). Since creating the new sierra vm, i've tried everything I can think of and would appreciate any assistance:

smbios is set o 14,2

video card: gtx760 (passes through to vm just fine)

tried hdmiAudio 1.0 and 1.1 kexts added in multiple ways to system/library/extensions, library/extensions, manually adding it, using DPCI manager, a standalone kext installer, adding it to efi: clover/....kexts/other & 10.11 (even made a 10.12 to see if that would work).

Have tried all the above using nvidia web drivers and OS X drivers.

HDMI audio is displayed as an output option but no audio comes through. I know it's not a cable/hardware issue because it still works in the el capitan vm.

any help? I don't know of any other options....

The passthrough is working, but as soon as i install the nvidia drivers and reboot, the mouse seems to be stuck in the upper left corner. Keyboard does work. Oddly enough, the mouse works when the drivers are not installed...

In clover there shall be a boot argument that shall enable use of this driver, check nvda_drv=1

EDIT

For me I was loosing HDMI sound with nvidia drivers, even if I reinstalled HDMIAudio-1.1.dmg. Back to OSX Default drivers :-)

//Peter

I am having quite a difficult time getting HDMI audio to work in sierra. It worked in el capitan for me after installing the hdmi audio kext (1.0). Since creating the new sierra vm, i've tried everything I can think of and would appreciate any assistance:

smbios is set o 14,2

video card: gtx760 (passes through to vm just fine)

tried hdmiAudio 1.0 and 1.1 kexts added in multiple ways to system/library/extensions, library/extensions, manually adding it, using DPCI manager, a standalone kext installer, adding it to efi: clover/....kexts/other & 10.11 (even made a 10.12 to see if that would work).

Have tried all the above using nvidia web drivers and OS X drivers.

HDMI audio is displayed as an output option but no audio comes through. I know it's not a cable/hardware issue because it still works in the el capitan vm.

any help? I don't know of any other options....

Very strange. maybe the audio kext isn't getting installed properly.

Please try like this

download this file . https://www.dropbox.com/s/tbyyaufc5elss22/HDMIAudio-1.0.dmg?dl=0

its a dmg file so mount it

then run in terminal

cd /Volumes/HDMIAudio

then

./install.sh

that should install it correctly.

If still not working I can only think it is outputting the sound out of one of the other ports on the graphics card for some reason. I'm not sure how you could change that.

Is there anyway you can connect with a different port. If you have DVI out using a DVI to HDMI cable you should still get sound. Also if you have display port out

you should get sound too from that.

petersm had similar problems to you. Maybe pm him and see how he fixed his problem?

Very strange. maybe the audio kext isn't getting installed properly.

Please try like this

download this file . https://www.dropbox.com/s/tbyyaufc5elss22/HDMIAudio-1.0.dmg?dl=0

its a dmg file so mount it

then run in terminal

cd /Volumes/HDMIAudio

then

./install.sh

that should install it correctly.

If still not working I can only think it is outputting the sound out of one of the other ports on the graphics card for some reason. I'm not sure how you could change that.

Is there anyway you can connect with a different port. If you have DVI out using a DVI to HDMI cable you should still get sound. Also if you have display port out

you should get sound too from that.

petersm had similar problems to you. Maybe pm him and see how he fixed his problem?

bingo.

Audio works. Has some syncing issues and "glitches/drops." Vm is on an ssd cache drive and didn't have problems before this but i'm going to try moving it to an ssd mounted outside the array and see if that helps (some people have said it does.)

THANKS!

aaaand moving to an ssd via unsigned devices did not fix the audio which is moving ahead of the video...... hmm....

update- i attempted to use a usb audio interface and it has the same issues. Perhaps something went awry with the install. Going to attempt a new clean install in a day or so.