**VIDEO GUIDE** How to Install MacOS Mojave or High Sierra as a VM

SpaceInvaderOne

18 minutes ago, gridrunner said:

I guess i will have a go doing an update as everyone else is and i dont want to miss out! But really looks like nothing really worth having in it unless you like cricket !!

• Adds Night Shift for automatically shifting the colors in your display to the warmer end of the spectrum after dark

• Adds Siri support for cricket sports scores and statistics for Indian Premier League and International Cricket Council

• Adds Dictation support for Shanghainese

• Resolves several PDF rendering and annotation issues in Preview

• Improves the visibility of the subject line when using Conversation View in Mail

• Fixes an issue that may prevent content from appearing in Mail messages

Also updating may break the nvidia webdrivers

If you can post the right procedure for updating I would appreciate it! Evidently I "thought" I was doing it right....¬¬

8 minutes ago, 1812 said:

If you can post the right procedure for updating I would appreciate it! Evidently I "thought" I was doing it right....¬¬

Hi @1812 not updated as yet. just downloading the combo update seems to be very slow coming down.

But this is what I am going to do.

1. remove nvidia webdrivers

2. update clover to latest

3. install combo update     https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1910?locale=en_US

4. install newest webdrivers https://images.nvidia.com/mac/pkg/367/WebDriver-367.15.10.45f01.pkg

5. keep fingers crossed

Edited by gridrunner
2 hours ago, gridrunner said:

Hi @1812 not updated as yet. just downloading the combo update seems to be very slow coming down.

But this is what I am going to do.

1. remove nvidia webdrivers

2. update clover to latest

3. install combo update     https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1910?locale=en_US

4. install newest webdrivers https://images.nvidia.com/mac/pkg/367/WebDriver-367.15.10.45f01.pkg

5. keep fingers crossed

I'm not using web drivers so i did the following

update clover via clover configurator

rebooted to verify clover update---- no joy after boot menu

side question: is the "combo" different than updating via the app store? (it downloaded in about 2-3 minutes for me.)

Edited by 1812

Has how-to-update-Clover been discussed already in this thread?

I haven't been following too closely since I finalized my Sierra build, but I remember having some problems in the past trying to get Clover updated. If I remember correctly, I would do the automatic update, it would appear to have been updated, but the change would never stick.

Any chance there's a tutorial (or a gridrunner video ;-)) floating around?

Edited by DoeBoye
6 minutes ago, DoeBoye said:

Has how-to-update-Clover been discussed already in this thread?

I haven't been following too closely since I finalized my Sierra build, but I remember having some problems in the past trying to get Clover updated. If I remember correctly, I would do the automatic update, it would appear to have been updated, but the change would never stick.

Any chance there's a tutorial (or a gridrunner video ;-)) floating around?

For me, the updater only places the new files on the mac partition, not the EFI (even  when loaded, the installer never gives me the option of selecting the mounted EFI disk.) So if you don't move the files manually to it, then it doesn't stick because it doesn't actually update. And when I do move them manually, it craps out after the boot options screen.

I think a @gridrunner video about this would be most excellent. My guess is that it has something to do with needing a patched version of clover, as all the other ones used to run the vm are patched. And I don't know what occurs in the patch, so maybe that info could also be included.

1 hour ago, gridrunner said:

Hi @gestrella  please see my guide a few posts up on how to upgrade ;-)

Thansk Gridrunner. I watched the video but it is all about starting wit ha functional OSX.  Gieven I did on the primary am I screwed ?  did I miss references to fixing if one jumped the gun and stuck ?

Thanks for all your work.  These are life savers !

On 3/30/2017 at 5:11 PM, gridrunner said:

Ok finished the guide. Was a bit rushed so sorry if its a bit lower quality than normal.

interestingly, the gt 730 used the web drivers with no issues, but my gtx 760 refuses to use them and gives me a black screen unless I disable web drivers.... this on a clean install/upgrade and following the vid.... any thoughts?

8 hours ago, 1812 said:

interestingly, the gt 730 used the web drivers with no issues, but my gtx 760 refuses to use them and gives me a black screen unless I disable web drivers.... this on a clean install/upgrade and following the vid.... any thoughts?

Maybe the gtx760 is outputting from another port when using the webdrivers hence the black screen. Can you check the output from all ports hdmi/dp/dvi etc?

3 hours ago, gridrunner said:

Maybe the gtx760 is outputting from another port when using the webdrivers hence the black screen. Can you check the output from all ports hdmi/dp/dvi etc?

No dice on any output. Also won't connect via screen share. Makes it past the boot loader, then darkness...

On 04/04/2017 at 9:46 AM, gridrunner said:

It depends upon your card's ROM. My ASUS 750ti OC 2gb had to be flashed with the ASUS Strix BIOS before I could get HDMI out working on bare metal before I started using unRaid. The card only has 1 HDMI and two DVI + VGA so had no choice... Little did I know that it would output Audio via a DVI-to-HDMI dongle (thanks Gridrunner!)

Mine could easily handle the higher clocks. I also modded the Strix BIOS to even higher clocks with the Kepler BIOS Tweaker for more performance in OSX as well as Windows:-

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/746630-Flashing-and-overclocking-an-ASUS-GTX-750Ti-WIP

You can also load a different card's ROM via the method posted elsewhere in the lime tech forums. I didn't try for Audio, in the end found a simpler solution (soundflowerbed), but did check it works with my GTX1070 & Windows VM (I used a different ROM to up the power limit of my KFA/Founders Edition card to get higher boost clocks in Windows since my card is water cooled with Arctic Accelero Hybrid III-140 :D ).

IMG_20170409_140039.jpg

IMG_20170409_140205.jpg

Edited by Thingi
added pics :)

DVI to HDMI dongle no longer required for Audio issues anymore. Since part of the Video install guide uses soundflower only one more piece of software is required:-

https://github.com/mLupine/SoundflowerBed/releases/tag/2.0.0-release

Simply install and select sound output in Sound Preferences Soundflower (2ch). Then use SoundflowerBed to change to the correct HDMI channel, Voila sound working perfectly with no dongle and you get a proper HDMI Volume control as an added bonus :)

Scratch this tip :(

The audio weirdness came back. Soundflowerbed didn't fix the problem after all... What did fix the problem until a reboot was unplugging the hdmi cable from the DVI adaptor back into the hdmi port. Strange indeed. 

Edited by Thingi

@gridrunner Many thanks for all your great videos. I have watched them several times.

I am having an installation problem that is a show-stopper. I do NOT have access to a real Mac, so I had to resort to the USB install method. I boot the installer and I go through the installation process. When it gets close to the end of installing, at the last 6 seconds, the VM reboots itself. It goes to the Clover screen and ONLY the "Install Mac OS" option is available. I have tried rebooting, shutting down the VM and nothing works. If I recall, at the end of the install proces, it gives you a message that the system will restart in XX seconds. This never happens at the end of my install process.

I have even tried doing this with the GPU pass through with the same result. The pass through is working because when booting the "Installer" I get the max resolution of my monitor. I have the $90 dual Xeon processor server w/ 64GB RAM.

I have tried this many times and no luck. Any ideas please? Many thanks.

H.

My XML is below:

<domain type='kvm' xmlns:qemu='http://libvirt.org/schemas/domain/qemu/1.0'>
  <name>Sierrita</name>
  <uuid>b95ebfbd-b974-a0d4-9619-64b0e8effbdf</uuid>
  <metadata>
    <vmtemplate xmlns="unraid" name="Ubuntu" icon="macos.png" os="ubuntu"/>
  </metadata>
  <memory unit='KiB'>8388608</memory>
  <currentMemory unit='KiB'>8388608</currentMemory>
  <memoryBacking>
    <nosharepages/>
  </memoryBacking>
  <vcpu placement='static'>9</vcpu>
  <cputune>
    <vcpupin vcpu='0' cpuset='0'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='1' cpuset='12'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='2' cpuset='13'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='3' cpuset='14'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='4' cpuset='15'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='5' cpuset='16'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='6' cpuset='17'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='7' cpuset='18'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='8' cpuset='19'/>
  </cputune>
  <os>
    <type arch='x86_64' machine='pc-q35-2.7'>hvm</type>
    <loader readonly='yes' type='pflash'>/usr/share/qemu/ovmf-x64/OVMF_CODE-pure-efi.fd</loader>
    <nvram>/etc/libvirt/qemu/nvram/b95ebfbd-b974-a0d4-9619-64b0e8effbdf_VARS-pure-efi.fd</nvram>
    <boot dev='hd'/>
  </os>
  <features>
    <acpi/>
  </features>
  <cpu mode='custom' match='exact'>
    <model fallback='allow'>Penryn</model>
  </cpu>
  <clock offset='utc'/>
  <on_poweroff>destroy</on_poweroff>
  <on_reboot>restart</on_reboot>
  <on_crash>destroy</on_crash>
  <devices>
    <emulator>/usr/local/sbin/qemu</emulator>
    <disk type='file' device='disk'>
      <driver name='qemu' type='raw'/>
      <source file='/mnt/user/vms/SierrraClover.iso'/>
      <target dev='hda' bus='sata'/>
      <address type='drive' controller='0' bus='0' target='0' unit='0'/>
    </disk>
    <disk type='file' device='disk'>
      <driver name='qemu' type='raw' cache='writeback'/>
      <source file='/mnt/cache/vms/MacOSSierra2/vdisk1.img'/>
      <target dev='hdc' bus='sata'/>
      <address type='drive' controller='0' bus='0' target='0' unit='2'/>
    </disk>
    <controller type='usb' index='0' model='piix3-uhci'>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x02' slot='0x02' function='0x0'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='sata' index='0'>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x1f' function='0x2'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='0' model='pcie-root'/>
    <controller type='pci' index='1' model='dmi-to-pci-bridge'>
      <model name='i82801b11-bridge'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x1e' function='0x0'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='2' model='pci-bridge'>
      <model name='pci-bridge'/>
      <target chassisNr='2'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x01' slot='0x01' function='0x0'/>
    </controller>
    <interface type='bridge'>
      <mac address='52:54:00:51:66:48'/>
      <source bridge='br0'/>
      <model type='e1000-82545em'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x02' slot='0x03' function='0x0'/>
    </interface>
    <input type='mouse' bus='ps2'/>
    <input type='keyboard' bus='ps2'/>
    <graphics type='vnc' port='-1' autoport='yes' websocket='-1' listen='0.0.0.0' keymap='en-us'>
      <listen type='address' address='0.0.0.0'/>
    </graphics>
    <video>
      <model type='qxl' ram='65536' vram='65536' vgamem='16384' heads='1' primary='yes'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x01' function='0x0'/>
    </video>
    <memballoon model='none'/>
  </devices>
  <seclabel type='none' model='none'/>
  <qemu:commandline>
    <qemu:arg value='-device'/>
    <qemu:arg value='usb-kbd'/>
    <qemu:arg value='usb-mouse'/>
    <qemu:arg value='isa-applesmc,osk=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx(edited)'/>
    <qemu:arg value='-smbios'/>
    <qemu:arg value='type=2'/>
    <qemu:arg value='-cpu'/>
    <qemu:arg value='Penryn,vendor=GenuineIntel'/>
  </qemu:commandline>
</domain>

54 minutes ago, hernandito said:

Answering my own post above... I was able to source a VMWARE Sierra image somewhere online... I am golden now. Natively supported GPU passthrough.

Machine is snappier than my gold old desktop.

Gridrunner... again, a big Thank You!

xD

H.

That greats @hernandito  Just be careful if you upgrade to osx 10.12.4. There are a few steps that you must do for that upgrade to be successful. See my guide a few posts up if you decide to upgrade.

On 09/04/2017 at 1:40 PM, Thingi said:

DVI to HDMI dongle no longer required for Audio issues anymore. Since part of the Video install guide uses soundflower only one more piece of software is required:-

https://github.com/mLupine/SoundflowerBed/releases/tag/2.0.0-release

Simply install and select sound output in Sound Preferences Soundflower (2ch). Then use SoundflowerBed to change to the correct HDMI channel, Voila sound working perfectly with no dongle and you get a proper HDMI Volume control as an added bonus :)

Scratch this tip :(

The audio weirdness came back. Soundflowerbed didn't fix the problem after all... What did fix the problem until a reboot was unplugging the hdmi cable from the DVI adaptor back into the hdmi port. Strange indeed. 

@Thingi um its a shame the soundflower tip doesnt work. Exactly what is the sound weirdness you are getting. Also did you ever try some different vbioses passed through to see if you can change the default sound out port? Nice looking build by the way! 

I would like to liquid cool my 750ti but the Arctic Accelero Hybrid III-140 here is more than i paid for my 750!

I received my USB Audio adapter (Mac compatible) and the USB 3 Adapter card (Link to USB Adapter Card).

With the card UNINSTALLED, I get the following options for items to pass through:

•     ATEN International Co. CS682 2-Port USB 2.0 DVI KVM Switch (0557:2213)
  •     ATEN International Co. Winbond Hermon (0557:2221)
  •     Cyber Power CP1500 AVR UPS (0764:0501)

When I install the card, I get the same list above!!

If I plug in a thumb drive into the new card, I get the card showing up in unRAID's Main page in Unassigned Devices. If I plug the USB Audio Adapter (USB Audio Adapter link), then the following new device shows up in the VM setup page:

•     C-Media Electronics (0d8c:0014)

I tried passing through the device in red above, and in OSX I will not see a thumb drive nor the USB Audio when plugged to the new card.

I tried passing the USB Audio (without the one in red above). But when I try to Start the VM, I get the below error:

Internal error: process exited while connecting to monitor: 2017-04-12T11:09:56.211283Z 
qemu-system-x86_64: -device usb-kbd: tried to attach usb device QEMU USB Keyboard to a 
bus with no free ports!

Not valid!
This link has the XML that causes this error: Pastebin Link

I have an older 30" DUal DVI Link monitor (it needs this to get the high resolution). It does not have built in speakers.

Any idea how I can get audio on my VM? I have external powered speakers.

Many thanks!

H.