**VIDEO GUIDE** How to Install MacOS Mojave or High Sierra as a VM

SpaceInvaderOne

Awesome video on High Sierra @gridrunner! I actually haven't upgraded my OS X since Yosemite so I thought it was time. I do have a question, I got everything up and running with VNC. Then I went back and edited the XML to include my graphics card and USB controller. Graphics loaded fine but the USB mouse movement is crazy laggy. Have you run into this? I also tried Sierra (macOS 10.12) and after everything was installed and running fine, I added the USB controller and the mouse was also laggy. It was working fine on Yosemite under Seabios, so not sure if this is a newer mac symptom or possibly something to do with OMVF.

Edited by archedraft
On 28/09/2017 at 11:28 PM, archedraft said:

Awesome video on High Sierra @gridrunner! I actually haven't upgraded my OS X since Yosemite so I thought it was time. I do have a question, I got everything up and running with VNC. Then I went back and edited the XML to include my graphics card and USB controller. Graphics loaded fine but the USB mouse movement is crazy laggy. Have you run into this? I also tried Sierra (macOS 10.12) and after everything was installed and running fine, I added the USB controller and the mouse was also laggy. It was working fine on Yosemite under Seabios, so not sure if this is a newer mac symptom or possibly something to do with OMVF.

@archedraft Wow, the guy who originally brought us the OSX VM on unRAID, likes my video! :) 

I haven't actually tried passing through my USB controller on High Sierra yet (as when I set it up there were no Nvidia web drivers for my GPU).

But I will definitely try it this weekend now.

My best guess is that because in this guide the XML is different to try to correct mouse tracking for the vnc. 

The USB tablet is added

<input type='tablet' bus='usb'>
      <address type='usb' bus='0' port='1'/>
    </input>
    <input type='mouse' bus='ps2'/>
    <input type='keyboard' bus='ps2'/>

And this relates to the changes below

<qemu:arg value='-usb'/>
    <qemu:arg value='-device'/>
    <qemu:arg value='usb-mouse,bus=usb-bus.0'/>
    <qemu:arg value='usb-kbd,bus=usb-bus.0'/>

So these changes left in when passing through the USB controller possibly could be causing the issues with the mouse.

So maybe try changing the XML to remove the USB tablet

<input type='mouse' bus='ps2'/>
    <input type='keyboard' bus='ps2'/>

and then changing the qemu:arg part back to this

<qemu:arg value='usb-kbd'/>
    <qemu:arg value='usb-mouse'/>

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, gridrunner said:

@archedraft Wow, the guy who originally brought us the OSX VM on unRAID, likes my video! :) 

I haven't actually tried passing through my USB controller on High Sierra yet (as when I set it up there were no Nvidia web drivers for my GPU).

But I will definitely try it this weekend now.

My best guess is that because in this guide the XML is different to try to correct mouse tracking for the vnc. 

The USB tablet is added

The original guides were no where near as easy to install everything as your videos have become. It was really impressive to take the USB installer and covert that to an image file to install the macOS system. I really like how this install is becoming more vanilla than the older OS X systems.

I attempted changing the XML as you suggested but still no luck. Let me know if you have success this weekend!

Edit: If anyone is having issues getting the full macOS High Sierra installer downloaded and instead getting the 19.9 MB installer, I had to upgrade my Sierra (10.12) system to the latest Sierra version and then download macOS High Sierra to get the full ~5GB version.

Edited by archedraft
10 hours ago, archedraft said:

FWIW, my key was F2 to get me into the OVMF settings page. I thought I was going to go insane as I was mashing the delete key without success.

6 hours ago, steppi said:

Thanks so much! it works fine! works with F2!

Close enough! (last time I tried accessing the OVMF bios on my server a week or so ago, it locked it up... maybe because I was smashing the wrong key and cursing out loud too much... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

@gridrunner, I wanted to let you know there is another way to create a OSX 13.10 VM since High Sierra has been released as well as VMFusion 10.

First, you need to go to the Mac App Store and download the High Sierra Installer and then when its done close the installer (it opens automatically)

Then once you install VMFusion 10, you need to open System Preferences on the host Mac, click on "Security & Preferences" and "Allow" VMFusion, if you dont do this, the VM will not install/run on the Mac.

Then you just create the installer by pointing VMFusion to the High Sierra Installer you downloaded and it'll create a VM and the rest can be done as per the video.

• Like 1

So... I've been trying to get this working since the new video came out. I'm running 6.4.0-rc9f, Latest High Sierra from the App Store, latest Clover (4243) and I've tried Q35-2.9 and 2.10. I'm following the video instructions verbatim (including copying the FakeSMC.kext into my image). Should I NOT be using the FakeSMC.kext at this point? If not, what should I be doing with my XML or config.plist instead?

At this point, when I start my VM I see "Welcome to Clover 4243 .... scan entries ...." and it hangs.

I am using a Ryzen 1700x if that matters. Just trying a plain install, access via VNC, no GPU passthrough or anything crazy at this point.

Any thoughts on how to get past this?

Thanks in advance!!

On 10/10/2017 at 5:34 PM, gr2659 said:

So... I've been trying to get this working since the new video came out. I'm running 6.4.0-rc9f, Latest High Sierra from the App Store, latest Clover (4243) and I've tried Q35-2.9 and 2.10. I'm following the video instructions verbatim (including copying the FakeSMC.kext into my image). Should I NOT be using the FakeSMC.kext at this point? If not, what should I be doing with my XML or config.plist instead?

At this point, when I start my VM I see "Welcome to Clover 4243 .... scan entries ...." and it hangs.

I am using a Ryzen 1700x if that matters. Just trying a plain install, access via VNC, no GPU passthrough or anything crazy at this point.

Any thoughts on how to get past this?

Thanks in advance!!

Hi @gr2659 So when you say clover scans the entries then hangs, it just freezes/hangs before it tries to load OSX? So it is clover crashing and not OSX booting and crashing? 

The fake smc can be in the clover image in the efi/clover/kexts/other folder.

However using 2.10 you dont have to use fakesmc but you would need to have your osk key which we can not post in the forums. but the end of your xml would look like this if not wanting to use fakesmc (i prefer not to use any kexts if possible)

<qemu:commandline>
    <qemu:arg value='-usb'/>
    <qemu:arg value='usb-mouse,bus=usb-bus.0'/>
    <qemu:arg value='usb-kbd,bus=usb-bus.0'/>
    <qemu:arg value='isa-applesmc,osk=xxxxxxxxOSK_KEY_xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'/>
    <qemu:arg value='-smbios'/>
    <qemu:arg value='type=2'/>
    <qemu:arg value='-cpu'/>
    <qemu:arg value='Penryn,vendor=GenuineIntel,kvm=on,+invtsc,vmware-cpuid-freq=on,'/>
  </qemu:commandline>
</domain>

You could try changing this part of your xml too as using ryzen (i'm not sure if this would help , i have no way to test as i dont have a ryzen cpu)

Change this 

<cpu mode='host-passthrough' check='none'>
    <topology sockets='1' cores='4' threads='2'/>
  </cpu>

to this so 

<cpu mode='custom' match='exact' check='none'>
    <model fallback='allow'>Penryn</model>
    <topology sockets='1' cores='4' threads='2'/>
  </cpu>

Just set the topology to how many cores that you assigned to your vm or just remove the topology line altogether.

Edited by gridrunner
On 10/11/2017 at 2:40 PM, gridrunner said:

Hi @gr2659 So when you say clover scans the entries then hangs, it just freezes/hangs before it tries to load OSX? So it is clover crashing and not OSX booting and crashing? 

Correct. If I start the VM and immediately start VNC, this is all I see (and it sits here indefinitely):

59e035e6a627e_ScreenShot2017-10-12at10_30_25PM.png.5edfaa205a8f2f23ef84bc80a7b6853d.png

... And I can't interact with this at all (enter, esc, ctrl+c, etc.)

I tried changing the CPU section of the XML but the results are the same. I'll try to rebuild my image without the kexts file, with my OSX key in the XML but it sounds like that's more preference than anything that might fix my issue.

Thanks much for the suggestions! ... have any others? :)

On 2017-10-13 at 5:44 AM, gr2659 said:

Correct. If I start the VM and immediately start VNC, this is all I see (and it sits here indefinitely):

59e035e6a627e_ScreenShot2017-10-12at10_30_25PM.png.5edfaa205a8f2f23ef84bc80a7b6853d.png

... And I can't interact with this at all (enter, esc, ctrl+c, etc.)

I tried changing the CPU section of the XML but the results are the same. I'll try to rebuild my image without the kexts file, with my OSX key in the XML but it sounds like that's more preference than anything that might fix my issue.

Thanks much for the suggestions! ... have any others? :)

I updated clover today and I now got same issue.

//Peter

Looking forward to creating my first Hackintosh soon.

Do I read correctly better to wait as things are broken with the latest Clover version?

And for clarification. Once I have this installed, can I update to future versions or do I need to go through all the process again? Has anyone tried to upgrade from Sierra to High Sierra within the VM or does it require a fresh install using the instructions?

2 hours ago, steve1977 said:

Looking forward to creating my first Hackintosh soon.

Do I read correctly better to wait as things are broken with the latest Clover version?

And for clarification. Once I have this installed, can I update to future versions or do I need to go through all the process again? Has anyone tried to upgrade from Sierra to High Sierra within the VM or does it require a fresh install using the instructions?

I did an update from App Store