**VIDEO GUIDE** How to Install MacOS Mojave or High Sierra as a VM

SpaceInvaderOne

19 hours ago, ckoepf said:

Did you follow the directions to create the .img file from the USB?  You're not trying to boot the USB directly, are you?

Gridrunner has a video linked in the High Sierra video about how to create the USB flash drive for installation and then I believe the High Sierra installation video is what explained how to create the .img file to use as the installation disk for the VM.

Yeah I created a .img from the USB.  The only difference is I used an Ubuntu machine to create the img with qemu-img instead of plugging in the drive directly to the Unraid server.  I then scp'd the img file over to the Unraid server.

I followed both the Creating Install Media and the How to High Sierra on Unraid videos by Gridrunner but still ran into the issue of it not seeing the disk.

7 hours ago, planetwilson said:

So in the end I created a new VM and edited it with Virt Mgr form an Ubuntu VM as suggested slightly earlier. That seemed to resolve all my issues, passthough now working again. I can't quite work out what the changes in the XML were though.

Awesome!  Any chance it was a formatting issue in the .xml when doing it through a text editor?  Definitely glad you got it working finally.

5 hours ago, raiditup said:

Yeah I created a .img from the USB.  The only difference is I used an Ubuntu machine to create the img with qemu-img instead of plugging in the drive directly to the Unraid server.  I then scp'd the img file over to the Unraid server.

I followed both the Creating Install Media and the How to High Sierra on Unraid videos by Gridrunner but still ran into the issue of it not seeing the disk.

What exactly is happening after Clover loads.  Are you able to select the disk to boot in the Clover menu or is the disk not in the Clover menu at all?

5 hours ago, ckoepf said:

Awesome!  Any chance it was a formatting issue in the .xml when doing it through a text editor?  Definitely glad you got it working finally.

What exactly is happening after Clover loads.  Are you able to select the disk to boot in the Clover menu or is the disk not in the Clover menu at all?

If it was badly formed XML then I don't think it would save. There were a bunch of subtle differences but nothing which stood out to me. Oh well, I'll just keep this Ubuntu VM about to edit every now and again.

On 25.1.2018 at 12:21 AM, Schlichi said:

When I start my macOS VM I can see in the log the following error:

Domain id=7 is tainted: custom-argv

It's only when I boot up the VM and only in the log file. The VM boots just fine. Do you have any idea what that is? Or should I just ignore it?

This question of mine hasn't been answered yet. Anybody got an idea where this comes from?

Is it maybe because I used hostdev and not qemu:arg for passing through my GPU and my USB3 controller to the macOS VM?

Greets

Schlichi

4 minutes ago, Schlichi said:

This question of mine hasn't been answered yet. Anybody got an idea where this comes from?

Is it maybe because I used hostdev and not qemu:arg for passing through my GPU and my USB3 controller to the macOS VM?

Greets

Schlichi

No it is common, I ignore it. Doesn't seem to affect anything.

4 hours ago, raiditup said:

No disk shows up in the Clover menu.

I thought gridrunner answered a similar problem back a few pages.  To me, it sounds like clover was not installed properly on the USB flash drive you used to create the img file.  If clover is loading, the img file is working, but if clover is not finding the disk it is loading from, it sounds like there was a problem during the creation of the disk or installation of clover.

I'm also assuming this is before you even get to the installation of OSX?  i don't recall you specifying that.

On 24/01/2018 at 7:14 PM, Schlichi said:

Hello you all,

first of all I got everything working now. Got a USB3 PCIe card and passed that through to my OSX VM and now Bluetooth, WLAN, Handoff and everything works.

However I'm not that happy with my very slow GPU. It's a NVIDIA GT 710 with PCIe x1 and only 1 GB VRAM. Originally I got that as a GPU for UNRAID itself and wanted to use my other GPU an AMD Radeon R7 240 for the VMs. That works fine in Windows 10, but for OS X I have to use the GT 710. But because my Server isn't fast enough to properly run Windows 10 and OS X at the same time, I think it would be a better solution to get rid of the Radeon GPU (which sits in my PCIe x16 slot) and get a better GPU that works fine with Windows AND OSX and use the GT 710 only for UNRAID GUI.

So can you recommend a proper GPU that works in OS X?

The GPU should also be able to do HEVC decoding in Windows 10 because my CPU isn't able to do that properly.

I'm not a big gamer, so it doesn't have to be High End. Just a proper card that OS X does support.

Thanks in advance!

Greets

Schlichi

@Schlichi Mind linking to the USB PCI-E card you're using please?  Got one passed through, but it's not working in the VM...

[mention=78569]Schlichi[/mention] Mind linking to the USB PCI-E card you're using please?  Got one passed through, but it's not working in the VM...

I just bought this last week for 10.13. It works; however, I have to plug the USB devices directly into it. I have 2 different USB hubs and for some reason High Sierra doesn’t recognize them? 10.11 works with both with out any issues so I have no idea what’s going on. Good news is the new PCIe card has 4 usb so plugging everything into it is fine. I really wish I knew why the hubs are not working (did 10.13 add some sort of hardware compatibility requirements or maybe a USB 3 controller has to has a USB 3 hub??).

ORICO 4-Port USB3.0 PCI-E Expansion Card USB3.0 4 Port PCI Express to USB3.0 Host Controller Adapter Card with 30cm 15PIN SATA to Big 4PIN Power Cord Compatible with Windows,Vista,Linux and Mac OS http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1DS1EA8223

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, archedraft said:

I just bought this last week for 10.13. It works; however, I have to plug the USB devices directly into it. I have 2 different USB hubs and for some reason High Sierra doesn’t recognize them? 10.11 works with both with out any issues so I have no idea what’s going on. Good news is the new PCIe card has 4 usb so plugging everything into it is fine. I really wish I knew why the hubs are not working (did 10.13 add some sort of hardware compatibility requirements??).

ORICO 4-Port USB3.0 PCI-E Expansion Card USB3.0 4 Port PCI Express to USB3.0 Host Controller Adapter Card with 30cm 15PIN SATA to Big 4PIN Power Cord Compatible with Windows,Vista,Linux and Mac OS http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1DS1EA8223

If it doesn't work with a hub I may be out of luck, as my hardware KVM is presented as a USB hub.

It would be interesting to see if your mouse would work directly plugged into your motherboard. I’m assuming you are passing through the motherboard usb controller?

I never tried that since I bought the new usb pcie.
No, I've got a USB pci-e controller that I've passed through. Connected to that is my hardware KVM, with my Logitech unifying receiver plugged in for the keyboard/mouse.

Works fine if I pass through the whole controller to Windows but not OSX.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

No, I've got a USB pci-e controller that I've passed through. Connected to that is my hardware KVM, with my Logitech unifying receiver plugged in for the keyboard/mouse.

Works fine if I pass through the whole controller to Windows but not OSX.

Hmmm, did you happen to have this setup working on an older version of OS X? Say 10.11? I’ve been attempting to follow this thread closely the last few weeks but I haven’t heard of anyone having the USB controller pass through issues that I was having. Finally got frustrated and bought the same chipset usb controller that gridrunner is using. I’m stumped why the usb hub isn’t working...
1 minute ago, archedraft said:

Hmmm, did you happen to have this setup working on an older version of OS X? Say 10.11? I’ve been attempting to follow this thread closely the last few weeks but I haven’t heard of anyone having the USB controller pass through issues that I was having. Finally got frustrated and bought the same chipset usb controller that gridrunner is using. I’m stumped why the usb hub isn’t working...

No, upgraded my mobo/cpu/RAM recently so this is the first time I've tried, haven't ran a MacOS VM for over a year.

What chipset is @gridrunner using?

4 hours ago, CHBMB said:

No, upgraded my mobo/cpu/RAM recently so this is the first time I've tried, haven't ran a MacOS VM for over a year.

What chipset is @gridrunner using?

Hi @CHBMB this is the card that I use. It is an Inateck PCI-E to USB 3.0 5-Port PCI Express Card (KTU3FR-5O2I)

Its available on Amazon UK here http://amzn.to/2f2OS5U It has the Fresco Logic FL1100 chipset which is natively supported in osx. 

• Like 1
[Mention]gridrunner[/mention] do you happen to have a USB hub hooked up with it or are all your usb devices connected directly into your pcie card?
Could it be a power issue? Are your hubs externally powered? Or taking their power from the USB socket?

On 27/01/2018 at 6:55 PM, Brydezen said:

I keep getting a connection to server error when trying to sign in on the app store? I already own a mac, and know my account is working. And i didn't type the password wrong either. :-( followed the guide for high sierra on point 

Is iMessage working for you? I had to follow some guide on TonyMac86 about generating a new valid serial number first. Apple does some checking in the back end for things like iMessage and maybe that also applies to the App Store?

by default the serial number created by clover might not be a valid one, you have to regenerate then check with Apple to make sure it is genuine. 

19 hours ago, CHBMB said:

@Schlichi Mind linking to the USB PCI-E card you're using please?  Got one passed through, but it's not working in the VM...

No problem:

I use this one:

https://www.amazon.de/Inateck-USB-Karte-Port-Expresskarte/dp/B00HJ1DULE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1517213668&sr=8-1&keywords=mac+pro+usb3+pcie

Working out of the box in macOS High Sierra. I also use an active USB 3.0 hub and it works without any issues.

56 minutes ago, planetwilson said:

Is iMessage working for you? I had to follow some guide on TonyMac86 about generating a new valid serial number first. Apple does some checking in the back end for things like iMessage and maybe that also applies to the App Store?

by default the serial number created by clover might not be a valid one, you have to regenerate then check with Apple to make sure it is genuine. 

Exactly. I had to do this as well.

You can follow this guide:

Greets

Schlichi

• Like 1
7 hours ago, gridrunner said:

Hi @CHBMB this is the card that I use. It is an Inateck PCI-E to USB 3.0 5-Port PCI Express Card (KTU3FR-5O2I)

Its available on Amazon UK here http://amzn.to/2f2OS5U It has the Fresco Logic FL1100 chipset which is natively supported in osx. 

12 minutes ago, Schlichi said:

No problem:

I use this one:

https://www.amazon.de/Inateck-USB-Karte-Port-Expresskarte/dp/B00HJ1DULE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1517213668&sr=8-1&keywords=mac+pro+usb3+pcie

Working out of the box in macOS High Sierra. I also use an active USB 3.0 hub and it works without any issues.

Greets

Schlichi

Thank you gentlemen (@Schlichi I'm assuming you're a man, but if you're a lady then apologies)

@archedraft  Looking at those cards that @gridrunner and @Schlichi posted, I think I may be onto something with the power.

gridrunner's card takes and extra 5V via a SATA power cable

Schlichi's card is solely powered from the PCI-E slot BUT he uses a powered hub.

But then, your card uses the same chipset and also uses a 5V power supply, which is where my theory falls down.

Would be helpful to know if gridrunner uses a USB hub at all with his card, and if so, if it's powered or not.

arche this is like the old days! lol

4 minutes ago, CHBMB said:

@archedraft  Looking at those cards that @gridrunner and @Schlichi posted, I think I may be onto something with the power.

gridrunner's card takes and extra 5V via a SATA power cable

Schlichi's card is solely powered from the PCI-E slot BUT he uses a powered hub.

But then, your card uses the same chipset and also uses a 5V power supply, which is where my theory falls down.

Would be helpful to know if gridrunner uses a USB hub at all with his card, and if so, if it's powered or not.

arche this is like the old days! lol

I have exactly the same card as @gridrunner as I bought it after he recommended it. Mine works fine but I only have devices plugged directly into the card, no hub used.