**VIDEO GUIDE** How to Install MacOS Mojave or High Sierra as a VM

SpaceInvaderOne

1 hour ago, Schlichi said:

You‘re missing the whole qemu:arg stuff at the end of the XML. Without that, the VM won‘t be able to boot.

Important: You lose your manual editings of the XML file if you use the regular VM mask of UNRAID again afterwards.

Greets

Schlichi

Man, that’s embarrassing, but I’m glad it was simple. I guess that’s what I get for trying to do it with a 3 year old running around and a baby in my arms. 

I even rewatched the video thinking, yup did that, did that too...

Thanks for your help, it’s much appreciated. 

I am using the MacOS VM now quite successfully for a while. It seems to me that things work flawless as long as I don't pass-through a GPU, which appears to be trickier. So, I just decided to work without to keep things more stable and not requiring too much tinkering along the way.

There remains one thing that still feels a bit less elegant, which is around Clover. Maybe you'll have some thoughts whether this can be improved. Not mission critical, but would make it a nicer setup:

1) When I start the VM, I still have a Clover menu, which allows to start the VM or do a bunch of other things related to Clover. Is this menu necessary or could the VM be setup that it always boots directly in the VM? Basically same as with a Win VM, where there is also no additional setup menu when starting up the VM

2) I installed the Clover version that was released in December. While I like xmas, it is starting to irritate to me to be welcomed by a xmas tree everytime I start my Mac VM. If not possible to get fully rid of the menu (1), is there a possibility to change the picture?

Thanks for your help!

On 2/17/2018 at 3:39 PM, 1812 said:

Anyone else having issues with 2 GPU's? I have auto login setup and if I boot with 1GPU it works as intended. If I try to boot 2, it brings up the login screen. After entering the password, it spins like it's going to move to the desktop, then the screen goes black, followed by the login screen coming back up. This is using a gt 710 and gtx 1060 with web drivers enabled appropriate web drivers enabled. 1060 works fine if it is the only gpu sent to the vm.

thanks!

bump

7 hours ago, steve1977 said:

I am using the MacOS VM now quite successfully for a while. It seems to me that things work flawless as long as I don't pass-through a GPU, which appears to be trickier. So, I just decided to work without to keep things more stable and not requiring too much tinkering along the way.

Here GPU passthrough works without any issues.

Greets

Schlichi

On 2/17/2018 at 3:39 PM, 1812 said:

Anyone else having issues with 2 GPU's? I have auto login setup and if I boot with 1GPU it works as intended. If I try to boot 2, it brings up the login screen. After entering the password, it spins like it's going to move to the desktop, then the screen goes black, followed by the login screen coming back up. This is using a gt 710 and gtx 1060 with web drivers enabled appropriate web drivers enabled. 1060 works fine if it is the only gpu sent to the vm.

thanks!

That's exactly the same problem I had.  Being unable to boot with 2 displays connected to 1 card, I tried 2 cards with 1 display each.  It loads to the logins screen, then when entering password, it starts to load and then jumps back to the login screen again.  If I boot with only 1 display connected to 1 card, login and then connect the 2nd display, it dumps back to the login screen again.

3 minutes ago, ckoepf said:

That's exactly the same problem I had.  Being unable to boot with 2 displays connected to 1 card, I tried 2 cards with 1 display each.  It loads to the logins screen, then when entering password, it starts to load and then jumps back to the login screen again.  If I boot with only 1 display connected to 1 card, login and then connect the 2nd display, it dumps back to the login screen again.

The issue with booting into a black screen on 2 monitors on 1 gpu was also present in Sierra. I would/still boot with 1 unplugged during boot and after it’s up, plug the second monitor in. 

I can’t quite figure out why high sierra hates booting with 2 gpus and the weird login print/problem. Unless it’s an nvidia driver problem. I have t tried booting with 2 gt 710’s which work ootb in OS X. They might be the next step.

On 21/02/2018 at 8:30 AM, steve1977 said:

There remains one thing that still feels a bit less elegant, which is around Clover. Maybe you'll have some thoughts whether this can be improved. Not mission critical, but would make it a nicer setup:

1) When I start the VM, I still have a Clover menu, which allows to start the VM or do a bunch of other things related to Clover. Is this menu necessary or could the VM be setup that it always boots directly in the VM? Basically same as with a Win VM, where there is also no additional setup menu when starting up the VM

2) I installed the Clover version that was released in December. While I like xmas, it is starting to irritate to me to be welcomed by a xmas tree everytime I start my Mac VM. If not possible to get fully rid of the menu (1), is there a possibility to change the picture?

Thanks for your help!

I know that if you use the EFI mounter to have a look in the Clover folder there is a theme folder somewhere. You can just remove the xmas theme and you should be left with the default one. Pretty sure there will be a config for the other thing but not had time to check sorry.

Thanks @planetwilson.

I succeeded to delete the xmas theme.

I mounted Clover and tried to change the config. I must have done something wrong, but unclear what it is. I believe the only thing I changed is to switch the them to Apple Logo, but maybe I did something else, which broke things?

I still have the Clover menu, but can no longer boot into MacOS. After selecting "Boot MacOS from MacOS VM", I see a grey screen with grey Apple logo (not the usual black with white logo and status bar). No status bar and nothing is happening. I tried the other items in the Clover menu and all get me to this same menu.

Not sure related, but below is the log:

2018-03-03 14:36:03.830+0000: Domain id=4 is tainted: custom-argv
2018-03-03 14:36:03.830+0000: Domain id=4 is tainted: host-cpu
2018-03-03T14:36:03.882000Z qemu-system-x86_64: -chardev pty,id=charserial0: char device redirected to /dev/pts/2 (label charserial0)

Any thoughts appreciated!

On 28/02/2018 at 2:53 AM, ren88 said:

i followed the video but im stuck in the interactive shell 2.2

If you are stuck at the efi shell then the install media that you are trying to boot from isn't correct .

Make sure when you make the usb stick format it before you start using a guid partition table.

If you dont you can't use efi boot and clover will not install in the efi partition. 

1 hour ago, gridrunner said:

If you are stuck at the efi shell then the install media that you are trying to boot from isn't correct .

Make sure when you make the usb stick format it before you start using a guid partition table.

If you dont you can't use efi boot and clover will not install in the efi partition. 

i got it, i will test it out later 

Thanks [mention=70782]planetwilson[/mention].

I succeeded to delete the xmas theme.

I mounted Clover and tried to change the config. I must have done something wrong, but unclear what it is. I believe the only thing I changed is to switch the them to Apple Logo, but maybe I did something else, which broke things?

I still have the Clover menu, but can no longer boot into MacOS. After selecting "Boot MacOS from MacOS VM", I see a grey screen with grey Apple logo (not the usual black with white logo and status bar). No status bar and nothing is happening. I tried the other items in the Clover menu and all get me to this same menu.

Not sure related, but below is the log:

2018-03-03 14:36:03.830+0000: Domain id=4 is tainted: custom-argv
2018-03-03 14:36:03.830+0000: Domain id=4 is tainted: host-cpu
2018-03-03T14:36:03.882000Z qemu-system-x86_64: -chardev pty,id=charserial0: char device redirected to /dev/pts/2 (label charserial0)

Any thoughts appreciated!

Any thoughts? is it so easy to “brick”?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello all,

After watching all of the excellent videos (thanks @gridrunner!!), and reading through this entire forum thread, I'm still having issues.

I'm attempting a clean VM install of macOS High Sierra 10.13.3, using the VMware Fusion approach.  

I downloaded the installer from the Mac App store, which has the .3 update pre-applied.  I successfully created a VMware Fusion instance of it, used APFS for the file system, and installed No Machine! (in case it's needed if the VNC mouse tracking issue reappears).

I then downloaded and installed the latest Clover v2.4k_r4411 release.  Using the os_sierra_highsierra_support_files as provided by @gridrunner, I added the APFS.efi and HFSPlus.efi drivers, added the q35_acpi_dsdt.aml file to the ACPI directory, and the replaced the config.plist.

I then moved the .vmdk image to my UnRAID server and converted using the following command:

qemu-img convert -p -f vmdk -O raw highsierra.vmdk highsierra.img

I then create a new VM using the .img as the primary vdisk, raw SATA access, using the latest Q35-2.10, OVMF bios.  Next, edited the XML to include the qemu command line options as per the instructions in the support files, and made the changes for the ethernet.

When booting the first time, at the BIOS, as per the video, I go into the OVMF platform settings and change the resolution to 1920x1080 and restart.

Now, when booting, I get Clover screen, and then select to boot from the macOS "Macintosh HD" that I had setup.  The black screen with the Apple logo appears, and the progress bar.  The progress bar gets to about 60% and then just stops.  No further progress.

Am I missing a step?  I don't need a patched version of Clover right?  Do I need to extract the OSK key from one of my Macs and embed it into the XML somewhere?  

I don't see anything that interesting being logged (log below).

Any assistance would be much appreciated!!!

2018-03-12 03:02:59.621+0000: starting up libvirt version: 3.8.0, qemu version: 2.10.2, hostname: BrownBear
LC_ALL=C PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin HOME=/ QEMU_AUDIO_DRV=none /usr/local/sbin/qemu -name 'guest=macOS High Sierra,debug-threads=on' -S -object 'secret,id=masterKey0,format=raw,file=/var/lib/libvirt/qemu/domain-39-macOS High Sierra/master-key.aes' -machine pc-q35-2.10,accel=kvm,usb=off,dump-guest-core=off,mem-merge=off -cpu host -drive file=/usr/share/qemu/ovmf-x64/OVMF_CODE-pure-efi.fd,if=pflash,format=raw,unit=0,readonly=on -drive file=/etc/libvirt/qemu/nvram/e4ef1673-1759-3a7e-c265-1d9838a8ca19_VARS-pure-efi.fd,if=pflash,format=raw,unit=1 -m 4096 -realtime mlock=off -smp 8,sockets=1,cores=4,threads=2 -uuid e4ef1673-1759-3a7e-c265-1d9838a8ca19 -no-user-config -nodefaults -chardev 'socket,id=charmonitor,path=/var/lib/libvirt/qemu/domain-39-macOS High Sierra/monitor.sock,server,nowait' -mon chardev=charmonitor,id=monitor,mode=control -rtc base=utc,driftfix=slew -global kvm-pit.lost_tick_policy=delay -no-hpet -no-shutdown -boot strict=on -device-chardev 'socket,id=charchannel0,path=/var/lib/libvirt/qemu/channel/target/domain-39-macOS High Sierra/org.qemu.guest_agent.0,server,nowait' -device virtserialport,bus=virtio-serial0.0,nr=1,chardev=charchannel0,id=channel0,name=org.qemu.guest_agent.0 -device usb-tablet,id=input0,bus=usb.0,port=1 -vnc 0.0.0.0:0,websocket=5700 -k en-us -device qxl-vga,id=video0,ram_size=67108864,vram_size=67108864,vram64_size_mb=0,vgamem_mb=16,max_outputs=1,bus=pcie.0,addr=0x1 -device virtio-balloon-pci,id=balloon0,bus=pci.3,addr=0x0 -usb -device usb-mouse,bus=usb-bus.0 -device usb-kbd,bus=usb-bus.0 -smbios type=2 -cpu Penryn,vendor=GenuineIntel,kvm=on,+invtsc,vmware-cpuid-freq=on, -msg timestamp=on
2018-03-12 03:02:59.621+0000: Domain id=39 is tainted: high-privileges
2018-03-12 03:02:59.621+0000: Domain id=39 is tainted: custom-argv
2018-03-12 03:02:59.621+0000: Domain id=39 is tainted: host-cpu
2018-03-12T03:02:59.739556Z qemu-system-x86_64: -chardev pty,id=charserial0: char device redirected to /dev/pts/1 (label charserial0)

Ah!  I found a couple things I did wrong... and have now fixed.

In the VMware Fusion instance of High Sierra, I mounted the EFI partition using the EFI Mounter v3 script, and then:

a) I moved q35_acpi_dsdt.aml into the CLOVER/ACPI/origin folder

b) I installed the FakeSMC.kext into the kexts/10.13 folder

c) I installed the HDMIAudio.kext into the kexts/10.13 folder 

I then shut down the Fusion VM, moved the updated vmdk file over to my UnRAID server and converted using qemu-img.

Launched the VM from UnRAID and it booted right up!

So, I think my main issue was not having the FakeSMC.kext installed.

Hmmm.... one of the goals for this was to run a macOS VM so I can have access to iMessages when on a Linux system.  This appears to be working, I'll just keep a VNC window open to the macOS VM.

The other goal was to have the macOS VM do content caching of System Updates and even iOS/iPad app downloads... a new feature of High Sierra.  However, when I go into the Sharing preferences pane, I do not see the Content Caching service listed (area marked by red rectangle is present on my real Mac, but missing from the macOS VM).

Any ideas why this is not showing up?

Screen Shot 2018-03-12 at 3.07.48 PM.png

Argh!  Thanks Apple... apparently Content Caching is not available if running in a VM:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8224088

dang it!!

I wonder if there is a way to trick macOS into thinking it is not virtualized?

sudo /usr/bin/AssetCacheManagerUtil canActivate
2018-03-12 15:25:56.535 AssetCacheManagerUtil[656:9496] Built-in caching server can not be activated: (no error)

sudo /usr/bin/AssetCacheManagerUtil activate
2018-03-12 15:26:07.583 AssetCacheManagerUtil[658:9539] Failed to activate built-in caching server: Error Domain=ACSMErrorDomain Code=5 "virtual machine" UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=virtual machine}

Copied all necessary files and added the XML lines and Using clover r4411. 

I was able to boot up the usb install image and format the qemu disk with apfs and on the next subsequent reboot it seems to hang at the apple logo, at least I think it's hanging - the progress bar does not appear to be moving.

With verbose on, it's seems to stall at AppleACPICPU, some kind of timeout. Not sure why this happens on the second boot.

Screen Shot 2018-03-14 at 2.03.07 PM.png

Edited by joelones

Another issue, some help here would be kindly appreciated.

I'm trying to download the latest 10.13.3 from the app store, but because my real mac is running an older version, the app store doesn't download the complete installer instead the stub installer of ~20MB.

"Install Disk Creator" of course won't work. 

I then clicked the stub installer and it downloads the real files into /macOS\ Install\ Data/. Googling lead me to do the following to plot it back into /Applications:

mkdir /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/SharedSupport
  cd /macOS\ Install\ Data
  find . -mount | cpio -pvdm /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/SharedSupport

Now trying "Install Disk Creator" once more gives me the following error: "invalid macOS Installer, lacking InstallESD.dmg". It would appear that it downloadeed InstallESDdmg.pkg and is not in .dmg. More googling, and I tried this command to create the USB on the command line (without Install Disk Creator), which, I thought worked, until I reboot the VM. This is the command I used to create the USB:

/Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/SierraInstaller --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app --nointeraction

The initial booting of the VM works and I'm able to format the Qemu disk but the subsequent reboot gives me, "macOS could not be installed on your computer, the path...." (see second screenshot).

Screen Shot 2018-03-14 at 3.29.52 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-03-14 at 3.20.35 PM.png

Edited by joelones
3 hours ago, joelones said:

Another issue, some help here would be kindly appreciated.

I'm trying to download the latest 10.13.3 from the app store, but because my real mac is running an older version, the app store doesn't download the complete installer instead the stub installer of ~20MB.

"Install Disk Creator" of course won't work. 

I then clicked the stub installer and it downloads the real files into /macOS\ Install\ Data/. Googling lead me to do the following to plot it back into /Applications:

mkdir /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/SharedSupport
  cd /macOS\ Install\ Data
  find . -mount | cpio -pvdm /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/SharedSupport

Now trying "Install Disk Creator" once more gives me the following error: "invalid macOS Installer, lacking InstallESD.dmg". It would appear that it downloadeed InstallESDdmg.pkg and is not in .dmg. More googling, and I tried this command to create the USB on the command line (without Install Disk Creator), which, I thought worked, until I reboot the VM. This is the command I used to create the USB:

/Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/SierraInstaller --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app --nointeraction

The initial booting of the VM works and I'm able to format the Qemu disk but the subsequent reboot gives me, "macOS could not be installed on your computer, the path...." (see second screenshot).

Screen Shot 2018-03-14 at 3.29.52 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-03-14 at 3.20.35 PM.png

@joelonesTry running this command in terminal then reboot and see if you can download?

sudo softwareupdate --clear-catalog

Edited by gridrunner