**VIDEO GUIDE** How to Install MacOS Mojave or High Sierra as a VM

SpaceInvaderOne

On 3/14/2018 at 6:33 PM, gridrunner said:

@joelonesTry running this command in terminal then reboot and see if you can download?

sudo softwareupdate --clear-catalog

@gridrunner

thanks for the suggestion. I issued the command and redownloaded high sierra from the mac store and following the commands as per my original post and same, "macOS could not be installed on your computer...OSInstall.mpkg appears missing or damaged"

I tried the "macOS High Sierra Patcher" app to download the the dmg and and used install disk creator with better success. Just curious how to manage passthrough of the HD 6450 being the only GPU in my system.

Edited by joelones
6 minutes ago, DarkHorse said:

For fun, I assigned all 16 cores / 32 threads / 16GB RAM to the High Sierra VM... multicore performance is about 2X of my 2011 3.4Ghz core i7 iMac.

unraid.png

You're going to make me want to boot up my 64 core machine just because now....

So I got everything working. I didn't follow this guide in particular, but I was able to do a fresh install, no problems, well except this. I'm running into an issue where my resolution is set to 1920x1080 when configured for VNC, however once I setup GPU passthrough, it's limited to 1280x1024. 

Any suggestions? I double and triple checked OVMF and Clover matched at 1920x1080. Not sure what else to do ??‍♂️

EDIT: Figured it out. I have a dummy HDMI plugged in to my GPU to turn on audio. For some reason it's limited on macOS (works fine when routed to a Windows host). Swapped it for a DVI and I got glorious 1080p.

Edited by manifest3r
  • Like 1
13 hours ago, gridrunner said:

I thought I would join in with adding lots of cores so added all my cores on my 2690v4 es chip to see what score I could get. @1812 come on lets see what a 64 core vm hackintosh can do it must be a crazy score !!

I have quite a bit lower clock speed than most of you all, so don't expect too much. I'll post in a short bit. 

sad news. anytime I run geek bench with 40 or more cores, it hangs on Memory Copy. unRaid web Gui shows activity on the processors but the vm becomes unresponsive and has to be force quit... I did note a increase in performance on a singe 10 core/20 thread processor though before swapping in my 4 processor tray....

Also got a nice speed bump from the 2-minute performance video, thanks @gridrunner!!

Now, are there any other cpu features we could/should add?

I've compared the features of my actual CPU (i7 4770):

root@Tower:~# lscpu | grep Flags
Flags:               fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx pdpe1gb rdtscp lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl xtopology nonstop_tsc cpuid aperfmperf pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx smx est tm2 ssse3 sdbg fma cx16 xtpr pdcm pcid sse4_1 sse4_2 x2apic movbe popcnt tsc_deadline_timer aes xsave avx f16c rdrand lahf_lm abm cpuid_fault epb invpcid_single pti retpoline tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid fsgsbase tsc_adjust bmi1 avx2 smep bmi2 erms invpcid xsaveopt dtherm ida arat pln pts

to the CPU that MacOS thinks it is using (via terminal inside the MacOS VM):

sysctl -n machdep.cpu.features
FPU VME DE PSE TSC MSR PAE MCE CX8 APIC SEP MTRR PGE MCA CMOV PAT PSE36 CLFSH MMX FXSR SSE SSE2 HTT SSE3 SSSE3 CX16 SSE4.1 x2APIC AES VMM XSAVE OSXSAVE AVX1.0

Which gives me this long list of "missing" CPU features:

abm	acpi	aperfmperf	arat	arch_perfmon	avx	avx2	bmi1	bmi2	bts	clflush	constant_tsc	cpuid	cpuid_fault	ds_cpl	dtes64	dtherm	dts	epb	ept	erms	est	f16c	flexpriority	fma	fsgsbase	ht	ida	invpcid	invpcid_single	lahf_lm	lm	monitor	movbe	nonstop_tsc	nopl	nx	pbe	pcid	pclmulqdq	pdcm	pdpe1gb	pebs	pln	pni	popcnt	pti	pts	rdrand	rdtscp	rep_good	retpoline	sdbg	smep	smx	ss	sse4_1	sse4_2	syscall	tm	tm2	tpr_shadow	tsc_adjust	tsc_deadline_timer	vmx	vnmi	vpid	xsaveopt	xtopology	xtpr

Where is the best place to start learning about what these features do, and how they behave in KVM?

Although, I note that AVX, AVX2 and XSAVEOPT are all missing from the sysctl results, so maybe that command in not correct? I did add them to the XML as per the video.

Any thoughts on onboard audio to get working? 

IOMMU group 10
[RESET]	00:14.2 Audio device [0403]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA) [1002:4383] (rev 40)
IOMMU group 0

I believe my board has the ALC892, I tried toledo's audio_CloverALC but got the follow:

Error: no IOReg/HDEF; BIOS/audio/disabled or ACPI problem

Screen Shot 2018-03-20 at 10.58.58 AM.png

Edited by joelones
[mention=76036]DarkHorse[/mention] [mention=77395]david279[/mention] Glad you guys are getting some higher scores

I thought I would join in with adding lots of cores so added all my cores on my 2690v4 es chip to see what score I could get. [mention=70493]1812[/mention] come on lets see what a 64 core vm hackintosh can do it must be a crazy score !!
5aacd4f1a2403_ScreenShot2018-03-17at08_36_53.thumb.png.ad5b8dfdb28445174c30fb2284c6ff09.png

Hi, I have also an 14.2 but I can only add 2 core 4 treads ? How is your machine configured .

Pete
1 hour ago, gridrunner said:

Hi Pete. I find to boot using all my cores I have to set topolgy like this.

<cpu mode='host-passthrough' check='none'>
    <topology sockets='14' cores='1' threads='2'/>
  </cpu>

Using 14 sockets

it should also work if you don't declare a topology (and be faster) since osx won't kneecap one of the hypertheaded pairs.

Trying to enable the extra as per @gridrunner post on my FX8320, +aes seems ok but +avx causes a kernel panic on boot up.

lscpu | grep Flags
Flags:               fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt pdpe1gb rdtscp lm constant_tsc rep_good nopl nonstop_tsc cpuid extd_apicid aperfmperf pni pclmulqdq monitor ssse3 fma cx16 sse4_1 sse4_2 popcnt aes xsave avx f16c lahf_lm cmp_legacy svm extapic cr8_legacy abm sse4a misalignsse 3dnowprefetch osvw ibs xop skinit wdt lwp fma4 tce nodeid_msr tbm topoext perfctr_core perfctr_nb cpb hw_pstate vmmcall bmi1 arat npt lbrv svm_lock nrip_save tsc_scale vmcb_clean flushbyasid decodeassists pausefilter pfthreshold

• 2 weeks later...

problem with HighSierra install.

in the end, after deleting the installation image disk from the xml,  when I boot again, the clover boot list is empty.  

it is as if the EFI partition with the boot setup is only on the installation image file. (when I get it back into the xml, the list returnes)

when I mount the EFI partitions , I see the   DISK1s1 and DISK0s1  .  indeed the DISK 1s1  is the EFI on the main 50g disk.    should there be a 3rd on for the APFS container. (which is by the way shows as DISK2 in the DISK util).

when I create demi folder on one of the above EFI partitions, it mirrors the action. it is as if its the same EFI partition. 

tried this 3 times.  same shit... any suggestions ?

otherwise it boots ok.

I'm planning to make a new attempt with building a High Sierra machine this weekend.

I may not passthrough the GPU. While I understand this is possible, I also noticed that updates can break things or require reconfigurations (latest when the next OS beyond High Sierra will be out). I am fine using VNC.

However, I'd like to passthrough the audio card. As it is not possible to passthrough the on-board audio card, would it be possible to passthrough the audio from my GPU (but not the video). Does this make sense and is feasible?

However, I'd like to passthrough the audio card. As it is not possible to passthrough the on-board audio card, would it be possible to passthrough the audio from my GPU (but not the video). Does this make sense and is feasible?

I’ve not heard of anyone trying this before. My gut reaction would be that it probably wouldn’t although I would definitely try. FWIW, I am using an old usb to audio adapter and plug my speakers into that. Works good for my needs.