**VIDEO GUIDE** How to Install MacOS Mojave or High Sierra as a VM

SpaceInvaderOne

On 27/04/2018 at 12:12 PM, david279 said:

I bet it's the 6 cores passed thru. Try 2,4 or 8 cores. Mac like core counts that mimic real CPU cooler counts.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Many thanks for this - that was exactly the reason my install wouldn't boot.

Just in case this helps anyone else - the install failed at the same point as before. I discovered it was because I was using the video card output. This was despite using VNC as the graphics option.

I switched the graphics chipset to internal in the BIOS and OSX installed. It's now running with the NVidia passed through

One last hitch, I was using DisplayPort and DVI to connect two monitors to my card. The system would show the Clover screen, start to boot, then both monitors would turn off just before reaching the OSX login screen. I replaced the DisplayPort with a second DVI and now everything works as expected. Seems a little strange, don't know if I've missed anythimg?

• Like 1

I followed this guide pretty closely, including the video on creating the bootable USB stick from a real Mac.  Just trying to figure out where I've gone wrong:

When I boot the VM, I am dumped right to a UEFI shell.  I definitely did install Clover onto the stick.  But I don't see the clover bootloader come up at all in the Unraid VM.  I don't even see it come up when I use the USB stick itself.  This tells me it's probably not installed correctly or I have set something completely wrong.  I have no experience with Hackintosh and this is my first attempt so I'm not even sure where to start troubleshooting.  I know that I didn't make the boot stick with the 'macdaddy.io' method - I used a generic guide that I found that basically just had me dl the image, run a couple of commands in terminal, then I got down to business, installed Clover, checked the proper options from the video, etc.  I don't know if this would have an impact or not, but I might just start over from scratch...

Are there any steps of Spaceinvader's guide that are a) different or b) no longer necessary now that it's been a few months?  Some questions:

- I didn't see the APFS / HFS options present in Clover.  Am I right to assume this is all baked in now?

- Am I right to assume that if I plug the USB stick into the Mac and attempt to boot from it, I should see Clover come up and not the regular MacOS Utilities / installer?

Thanks!

On 4/30/2018 at 4:08 AM, Yardon said:

Many thanks for this - that was exactly the reason my install wouldn't boot.

Just in case this helps anyone else - the install failed at the same point as before. I discovered it was because I was using the video card output. This was despite using VNC as the graphics option.

I switched the graphics chipset to internal in the BIOS and OSX installed. It's now running with the NVidia passed through

One last hitch, I was using DisplayPort and DVI to connect two monitors to my card. The system would show the Clover screen, start to boot, then both monitors would turn off just before reaching the OSX login screen. I replaced the DisplayPort with a second DVI and now everything works as expected. Seems a little strange, don't know if I've missed anythimg?

That's exactly the problem that I was having with my NVidia GTX 960.  If both display were connected, it would always kill both displays to solid black.  Common problem from what I have read in the hackintosh community.  I tried Lilu and NVidiaFixup, unfortunately that didn't solve the problem either.  My cards don't have 2 DVI ports though, so I was unable to try that.  Mine was a combination of DVI and HDMI or HDMI and Display port or DVI and display port.  The display port options never worked right, even with 2 of them.

If you got yours working with dual DVI, then awesome and congratulations.  Between the boot up with 2 displays not working and the other oddity's I frequently had, I chose to turn to the dark side and go AMD.  Haven't had a non-NVidia card in over 25 years.  lol

13 hours ago, bogglor said:

I followed this guide pretty closely, including the video on creating the bootable USB stick from a real Mac.  Just trying to figure out where I've gone wrong:

When I boot the VM, I am dumped right to a UEFI shell.  I definitely did install Clover onto the stick.  But I don't see the clover bootloader come up at all in the Unraid VM.  I don't even see it come up when I use the USB stick itself.  This tells me it's probably not installed correctly or I have set something completely wrong.  I have no experience with Hackintosh and this is my first attempt so I'm not even sure where to start troubleshooting.  I know that I didn't make the boot stick with the 'macdaddy.io' method - I used a generic guide that I found that basically just had me dl the image, run a couple of commands in terminal, then I got down to business, installed Clover, checked the proper options from the video, etc.  I don't know if this would have an impact or not, but I might just start over from scratch...

Are there any steps of Spaceinvader's guide that are a) different or b) no longer necessary now that it's been a few months?  Some questions:

- I didn't see the APFS / HFS options present in Clover.  Am I right to assume this is all baked in now?

- Am I right to assume that if I plug the USB stick into the Mac and attempt to boot from it, I should see Clover come up and not the regular MacOS Utilities / installer?

Thanks!

I figured out what the problem was.  For anyone else that's having issues getting the USB key set up, make sure that you "View All Devices" and select GUID Partition Map when formatting the stick.  This did not come up for me when I first tried to build the install key and due to my Mac ignorance I presumed that everything was A-OK if I didn't see the option display.  It's not.  It uses MBR if you don't specifically install it which leads to a botched Clover installation.  After I did this, I followed the rest of the steps and everything came up A-OK.  

It's somewhat amazing that this works at all.  I'm not passing any hardware through at all though since my 2009-era i7 i920 and Nehalem X58 chipset Unraid host doesn't support VT-D.  Somewhat surprisingly, the graphics are not a slideshow, either.  

Following the video I can see Clover boot and I have changed the uefi resolution but when I boot I see the black/grey screen and then just black and reboot to clover... 

i have beleted the .file mentioned above but nothing.

i have only two cores assigned and 16g ram.

any ideas?

I'm running the latest nvidia web drivers and the latest clover and i had problem booting with two monitors connected, tried the fixes mentioned in this thres without any of them working. What ended up working was swapping the dvi cable to the second monitor to a displayport one.

I'm wondering though, as i wanted to be smart i created a 25GB image formated with apfs to act as a base image. I then copied it and expanded it to 100GB in the unraid ui and proceeded to try and use `sudo diskutil apfs resizeContainer disk1s1` to resize it to the full 100GB without any success. Do you have any experience in resizing apfs systems? @gridrunner?

On 5/8/2018 at 11:38 AM, daemonix said:

Following the video I can see Clover boot and I have changed the uefi resolution but when I boot I see the black/grey screen and then just black and reboot to clover... 

i have beleted the .file mentioned above but nothing.

i have only two cores assigned and 16g ram.

any ideas?

I would recommend try without specifying the CPU topology.

Find the line in your config file that look like this:

<topology sockets='1' cores='2' threads='1'/>

And remove it completely.  The VM will load without a topology specified as has been confirmed a few times.

Optionally, if the above line is how your topology  is specified, you could also try it with 1 core and 2 threads, but I really recommend no topology based on 2 cores only.

5 hours ago, mikegg said:

I'm running the latest nvidia web drivers and the latest clover and i had problem booting with two monitors connected, tried the fixes mentioned in this thres without any of them working. What ended up working was swapping the dvi cable to the second monitor to a displayport one.

I'm wondering though, as i wanted to be smart i created a 25GB image formated with apfs to act as a base image. I then copied it and expanded it to 100GB in the unraid ui and proceeded to try and use `sudo diskutil apfs resizeContainer disk1s1` to resize it to the full 100GB without any success. Do you have any experience in resizing apfs systems? @gridrunner?

Your experience with NVidia and dual monitors is the same as everyone elses.  I am glad to here you got it to boot though.   I never did have any success with display ports options on my GTX 960.

Did you actually get the image file to expand in size?  You could just create a new 100GB image as a 2nd drive, use Carbon Copy Cloner or similar to clone the system disk to it, then use startup disk selector in System Preferences to specify the newly created disk.  Once confirming that it boots from the newly imaged (larger) disk, shutdown the VM and remove the configuration for the Primary disk.  I have done this to switch between imaged disks and physical passthrough disks on High Sierra VMs or to swap out the physical disk on a VM.

12 hours ago, ckoepf said:

Did you actually get the image file to expand in size?  You could just create a new 100GB image as a 2nd drive, use Carbon Copy Cloner or similar to clone the system disk to it, then use startup disk selector in System Preferences to specify the newly created disk.  Once confirming that it boots from the newly imaged (larger) disk, shutdown the VM and remove the configuration for the Primary disk.  I have done this to switch between imaged disks and physical passthrough disks on High Sierra VMs or to swap out the physical disk on a VM.

That's probably a bit easier solution than trying to resize the container (apfs seems a bit confusing and annoying imho).

Creating a new drive, mounting it and using carbon copy cloner worked great, a important and extra step is making sure that you bring the EFI files with you otherwise it wont boot. It might be possible in CCC directly if you play with the settings, i dunno.

Thanks for the help dude!

I have some issues yet again with my MacOS VM. It used to work. After recent OS update, I got stuck at a loading screen (Apple symbol with loading bar, never ending). After restarting Unraid, the complete MacOS VM disappeared from the VM tab, which I'd assume is due to some corruption.

I recreated the VM and pointed to the existing iso file. This gets it back to boot, but still not fully functioning. I end up in a loop going back to the Clover starting screen.

I checked the log and find the error message below. Any thoughts?

2018-05-13T00:26:26.703819Z qemu-system-x86_64: vfio: Cannot reset device 0000:00:1f.3, no available reset mechanism.
2018-05-13T00:26:33.618232Z qemu-system-x86_64: terminating on signal 15 from pid 8049 (/usr/sbin/libvirtd)
2018-05-13 00:26:34.418+0000: shutting down, reason=destroyed

Edited by steve1977
On 5/12/2018 at 11:56 AM, mikegg said:

That's probably a bit easier solution than trying to resize the container (apfs seems a bit confusing and annoying imho).

Creating a new drive, mounting it and using carbon copy cloner worked great, a important and extra step is making sure that you bring the EFI files with you otherwise it wont boot. It might be possible in CCC directly if you play with the settings, i dunno.

Thanks for the help dude!

Sorry, forgot to mention the copying of the EFI folder to the cloned drive.

Also, resizing APFS rom within High Sierra is not difficult if you use the GUI Disk Utility.  If there is more space on the partition, or in this instance the virtual image, select the partition and enlarge it or set to maximum size.  I don't remember the exact terms for everything, but it's really simple.  The part that I don't know how to do is resize a VM image in unraid.  I know there has to be a way to do it and it's probably not that hard, but why risk messing up your working image of MacOS to resize it if you have the space to make a new image that is larger.

On 5/12/2018 at 8:32 PM, steve1977 said:

I have some issues yet again with my MacOS VM. It used to work. After recent OS update, I got stuck at a loading screen (Apple symbol with loading bar, never ending). After restarting Unraid, the complete MacOS VM disappeared from the VM tab, which I'd assume is due to some corruption.

I recreated the VM and pointed to the existing iso file. This gets it back to boot, but still not fully functioning. I end up in a loop going back to the Clover starting screen.

I checked the log and find the error message below. Any thoughts?

2018-05-13T00:26:26.703819Z qemu-system-x86_64: vfio: Cannot reset device 0000:00:1f.3, no available reset mechanism.
2018-05-13T00:26:33.618232Z qemu-system-x86_64: terminating on signal 15 from pid 8049 (/usr/sbin/libvirtd)
2018-05-13 00:26:34.418+0000: shutting down, reason=destroyed

Steve, what is device 0000:00:1f.3  on your system?  Do you have devices passed through like a mouse or keyboard?  On occasion I have had issues with passed through mice.  I have had better luck passing through a USB controller and plugging the mouse into that instead.

Or could it be a device that doesn't exist any more and being that you have a manually edited XML file it won't be removed automatically.

On 5/12/2018 at 4:48 AM, ckoepf said:

I would recommend try without specifying the CPU topology.

Find the line in your config file that look like this:

<topology sockets='1' cores='2' threads='1'/>

And remove it completely.  The VM will load without a topology specified as has been confirmed a few times.

Optionally, if the above line is how your topology  is specified, you could also try it with 1 core and 2 threads, but I really recommend no topology based on 2 cores only.

sadly it just reboots after the apple logo again after removing the line. :S

I also tried to convert and boot and VMwareFusion install but got nothing (I got a "prohibited" screen) 

11 hours ago, ckoepf said:

Also, resizing APFS rom within High Sierra is not difficult if you use the GUI Disk Utility.  If there is more space on the partition, or in this instance the virtual image, select the partition and enlarge it or set to maximum size.  I don't remember the exact terms for everything, but it's really simple.  The part that I don't know how to do is resize a VM image in unraid.

I susccessfully resized the vm image but could not for the life of me resize the partition/container/level in macos. It let me set 100GB which was maximum and it proceeded to go through 5 steps and said it was scuccessful but it never actually did anything haha

Yesterday I’ve tried to get a macOS VM up and running, just for testing purposes right now, because my HP Gen8 (Celeron G1610T) won’t be powerful enough to seriously use it.

So I created a high sierra stick. Installed Clover onto it (newest version, also showing up APFS, APFS patched? and HFS Plus), but I was able to also select OsxAptioFix3Drv? Should I select this one or still “version” 2? I tried both so far...

After that I did everythink like I was told to in the space invader one video. I did only skip the fakeSMC kext part, since that shouldn’t be of any use anymore because qemu 2.9?everything else should be the same like in the video?

After that I’ve put the stick in my HP machine and created an image. I’ve the created the VM and did modify the xml like I’m told to.

Clover starts, but booting the installation process gets stuck at about 2/3...

Any suggestions?:)

56 minutes ago, monish77 said:

@Schlichi What motherboard are you using to run macos on unraid? I am also using the same processor (xeon e3 1220) same gen as yours, but my system doesn't let me passthrough PCIe due to RMRR issues... I think it is something with bios. 

Thanks in advance.

If your RMRR issue is the sound portion of a GPU, there is a workaround available in my sig.

hi all,

so i've followed the video and have the vm booted into the clover efi bootloader.

When trying to get to the osx installer i get a black screen with the apple logo and then it reboots.

If i try to set a boot argument clover efi hangs and won't let me return to the main menu.

i'm using cliver 2.4k_r4458

osx.gif.2568585a542bbe045535b85d3f9de248.gif

i can exit the boot options as long as I've entered no value. if i have it just crashes.

My XML:

<domain type='kvm' id='13'>
  <name>OSX High Sierra</name>
  <uuid>c6a1ef6f-3cc9-4545-d81e-a4585879fa85</uuid>
  <metadata>
    <vmtemplate xmlns="unraid" name="Linux" icon="linux.png" os="linux"/>
  </metadata>
  <memory unit='KiB'>4194304</memory>
  <currentMemory unit='KiB'>4194304</currentMemory>
  <memoryBacking>
    <nosharepages/>
  </memoryBacking>
  <vcpu placement='static'>1</vcpu>
  <cputune>
    <vcpupin vcpu='0' cpuset='0'/>
  </cputune>
  <resource>
    <partition>/machine</partition>
  </resource>
  <os>
    <type arch='x86_64' machine='pc-q35-2.9'>hvm</type>
    <loader readonly='yes' type='pflash'>/usr/share/qemu/ovmf-x64/OVMF_CODE-pure-efi.fd</loader>
    <nvram>/etc/libvirt/qemu/nvram/c6a1ef6f-3cc9-4545-d81e-a4585879fa85_VARS-pure-efi.fd</nvram>
  </os>
  <features>
    <acpi/>
    <apic/>
  </features>
  <cpu mode='host-passthrough' check='none'>
    <topology sockets='1' cores='1' threads='1'/>
  </cpu>
  <clock offset='utc'>
    <timer name='rtc' tickpolicy='catchup'/>
    <timer name='pit' tickpolicy='delay'/>
    <timer name='hpet' present='no'/>
  </clock>
  <on_poweroff>destroy</on_poweroff>
  <on_reboot>restart</on_reboot>
  <on_crash>restart</on_crash>
  <devices>
    <emulator>/usr/local/sbin/qemu</emulator>
    <disk type='file' device='disk'>
      <driver name='qemu' type='raw' cache='writeback'/>
      <source file='/mnt/user/VM/ISO/highsierra.img'/>
      <backingStore/>
      <target dev='hdc' bus='sata'/>
      <boot order='1'/>
      <alias name='sata0-0-2'/>
      <address type='drive' controller='0' bus='0' target='0' unit='2'/>
    </disk>
    <disk type='file' device='disk'>
      <driver name='qemu' type='raw' cache='writeback'/>
      <source file='/mnt/user/VM/Storage/OSX High Sierra/vdisk2.img'/>
      <backingStore/>
      <target dev='hdd' bus='sata'/>
      <alias name='sata0-0-3'/>
      <address type='drive' controller='0' bus='0' target='0' unit='3'/>
    </disk>
    <controller type='usb' index='0' model='ich9-ehci1'>
      <alias name='usb'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x07' function='0x7'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='usb' index='0' model='ich9-uhci1'>
      <alias name='usb'/>
      <master startport='0'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x07' function='0x0' multifunction='on'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='usb' index='0' model='ich9-uhci2'>
      <alias name='usb'/>
      <master startport='2'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x07' function='0x1'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='usb' index='0' model='ich9-uhci3'>
      <alias name='usb'/>
      <master startport='4'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x07' function='0x2'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='sata' index='0'>
      <alias name='ide'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x1f' function='0x2'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='0' model='pcie-root'>
      <alias name='pcie.0'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='1' model='pcie-root-port'>
      <model name='pcie-root-port'/>
      <target chassis='1' port='0x10'/>
      <alias name='pci.1'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x02' function='0x0' multifunction='on'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='2' model='pcie-root-port'>
      <target chassis='2' port='0x11'/>
      <alias name='pci.2'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x02' function='0x1'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='3' model='pcie-root-port'>
      <target chassis='3' port='0x12'/>
      <alias name='pci.3'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x02' function='0x2'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='4' model='pcie-root-port'>
      <target chassis='4' port='0x13'/>
      <alias name='pci.4'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x02' function='0x3'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='virtio-serial' index='0'>
      <alias name='virtio-serial0'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x02' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
    </controller>
    <interface type='bridge'>
      <mac address='52:54:00:f7:78:4f'/>
      <source bridge='br0'/>
      <target dev='vnet1'/>
      <model type='virtio'/>
      <alias name='net0'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x01' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
    </interface>
    <serial type='pty'>
      <source path='/dev/pts/1'/>
      <target port='0'/>
      <alias name='serial0'/>
    </serial>
    <console type='pty' tty='/dev/pts/1'>
      <source path='/dev/pts/1'/>
      <target type='serial' port='0'/>
      <alias name='serial0'/>
    </console>
    <channel type='unix'>
      <source mode='bind' path='/var/lib/libvirt/qemu/channel/target/domain-13-OSX High Sierra/org.qemu.guest_agent.0'/>
      <target type='virtio' name='org.qemu.guest_agent.0' state='disconnected'/>
      <alias name='channel0'/>
      <address type='virtio-serial' controller='0' bus='0' port='1'/>
    </channel>
    <input type='tablet' bus='usb'>
      <alias name='input0'/>
      <address type='usb' bus='0' port='1'/>
    </input>
    <input type='mouse' bus='ps2'>
      <alias name='input1'/>
    </input>
    <input type='keyboard' bus='ps2'>
      <alias name='input2'/>
    </input>
    <graphics type='vnc' port='5901' autoport='yes' websocket='5701' listen='0.0.0.0' keymap='en-us'>
      <listen type='address' address='0.0.0.0'/>
    </graphics>
    <video>
      <model type='qxl' ram='65536' vram='65536' vgamem='16384' heads='1' primary='yes'/>
      <alias name='video0'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x01' function='0x0'/>
    </video>
    <memballoon model='virtio'>
      <alias name='balloon0'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x03' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
    </memballoon>
  </devices>
  <seclabel type='dynamic' model='dac' relabel='yes'>
    <label>+0:+100</label>
    <imagelabel>+0:+100</imagelabel>
  </seclabel>
</domain>

any ideas?

thanks 

Edited by gareth_iowc
4 hours ago, david279 said:

Also are you using gridrunners xml as a base? It's missing some stuff that's important from there.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

i followed the space invader guide - 

and used the files he linked to - https://www.dropbox.com/s/zq4020mly9m...

form the guide i added this into the xml file - 

<qemu:commandline>
   <qemu:arg value='-usb'/>
      <qemu:arg value='-device'/>
      <qemu:arg value='usb-mouse,bus=usb-bus.0'/>
      <qemu:arg value='usb-kbd,bus=usb-bus.0'/>
    <qemu:arg value='-smbios'/>
    <qemu:arg value='type=2'/>
    <qemu:arg value='-cpu'/>
    <qemu:arg value='Penryn,vendor=GenuineIntel,kvm=on,+invtsc,vmware-cpuid-freq=on,'/>                  
  </qemu:commandline>

and - 

<model type='e1000-82545em'/>

i have also tried 2 and 4 core. stripped it back to one core trying everything i could think of

19 hours ago, gareth_iowc said:

i followed the space invader guide - 

and used the files he linked to - https://www.dropbox.com/s/zq4020mly9m...

form the guide i added this into the xml file - 

<qemu:arg value='Penryn,vendor=GenuineIntel,kvm=on,+invtsc,vmware-cpuid-freq=on,'/>                  

and - 

<model type='e1000-82545em'/>

i have also tried 2 and 4 core. stripped it back to one core trying everything i could think of

Hi @gareth_iowc   looking at your xml i see you are only using 1 thread for the vm

<vcpu placement='static'>1</vcpu>

I would use at least 2 vcpus

then also remove the below topology line in the xml

<topology sockets='1' cores='1' threads='1'/>

Also in your xml below you don't have the osk key. This is okay but only if you are using the fake smc kext. I would advise using the osk key in the 

xml rather than the fake smc kext, but you must use one or the other not both.

so with osk key XML should look like this ( but with the real osk key (which I cant put in this post))

<qemu:arg value='isa-applesmc,osk=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'/>
</domain>

20 hours ago, gareth_iowc said:

@gridrunner

Thank you very much your help has worked.

so now i get the apple logo and the loading bar is displayed for some time as it's loading.

It gets just shy of halfway and then re-boots.

would it be best to try and get it into -v so see where it reboots?

i can't use the boot commands on clover as it hangs

Are you using a video card or on-board graphics? If the latter, set integrated graphics in your bios (or remove your video card) and try again. Once installed, you can re-enable and add the drivers