**VIDEO GUIDE** How to Install MacOS Mojave or High Sierra as a VM

SpaceInvaderOne

26 minutes ago, methanoid said:

So you used 10.13.0 and the same Clover as SIO?

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

I created the USB Boot with 10.13.6 Macbook and I'm not sure what SIO is or what version of Clover...Following the SpaceInvader One Updated Video with the "unpatched" Clover.  Created the IMG from the USB, Created the VM, Edited the XML with the parts from the vm-ackintosh text file, boot VM and can't get anything other than "UEFI Interactive Shell v2.2" screen in the VNC.

8 minutes ago, SuperW2 said:

I created the USB Boot with 10.13.6 Macbook and I'm not sure what SIO is or what version of Clover...Following the SpaceInvader One Updated Video with the "unpatched" Clover.  Created the IMG from the USB, Created the VM, Edited the XML with the parts from the vm-ackintosh text file, boot VM and can't get anything other than "UEFI Interactive Shell v2.2" screen in the VNC.

SIO=SpaceInvaderOne ;-)

So you used 10.13.6 - he used 10.13.0 - note the MANY comments on video of people who couldnt get it working as they were on later versions of 10.13

I suspect given you didnt spot that then you probably just used any old version of Clover... Did you use Q35 same version as SIO or the latest 3.0 version? ;-)

Dont ASSume that its unRAID 6.6 (fix your sig BTW) thats at fault when you have clearly failed to follow his guide to the letter. I have tried 10.13.4 and 10.13.6 and failed. But I do know what versions of Clover I have tried and what settings....

The safest thing to get it to work is to use the EXACT same versions of Clover and macOS as SIO with his file pack. There is no guarantee the files he supplies will work with other versions 😞

11 minutes ago, methanoid said:

SIO=SpaceInvaderOne ;-)

So you used 10.13.6 - he used 10.13.0 - note the MANY comments on video of people who couldnt get it working as they were on later versions of 10.13

I suspect given you didnt spot that then you probably just used any old version of Clover... Did you use Q35 same version as SIO or the latest 3.0 version? ;-)

Dont ASSume that its unRAID 6.6 (fix your sig BTW) thats at fault when you have clearly failed to follow his guide to the letter. I have tried 10.13.4 and 10.13.6 and failed. But I do know what versions of Clover I have tried and what settings....

The safest thing to get it to work is to use the EXACT same versions of Clover and macOS as SIO with his file pack. There is no guarantee the files he supplies will work with other versions 😞

Thanks... I did try to use the Q35-2.9 as shown in the video.  There is zero mention of any Clover versions in the updated video what-so-ever (at least up to the halfway point where I couldn't get anything to boot), so I'm not sure how or where I can I have any control over that.  I also have zero clue where to find a older 10.13.0 macOS installer, so I guess I'll just shelve this for other endeavours.  

Sig was super old, forgot to update as I've gone through several HW iterations since last updated.

Edited by SuperW2
1 hour ago, SuperW2 said:

Thanks... I did try to use the Q35-2.9 as shown in the video.  There is zero mention of any Clover versions in the updated video what-so-ever (at least up to the halfway point where I couldn't get anything to boot), so I'm not sure how or where I can I have any control over that.  I also have zero clue where to find a older 10.13.0 macOS installer, so I guess I'll just shelve this for other endeavours.  

Sig was super old, forgot to update as I've gone through several HW iterations since last updated.

I wouldnt give up yet... but just try to make sure you know exactly what you have done when you seek help?

You might take heart from this.... Mine failed totally yesterday. I restarted the VM just now and it suddenly decides to load the installer when yesterday it refuses. And I really HONESTLY have not touched any settings at all!!!

FYI, I used Q35 3.0, Clover v2.4k r4674 (latest currently), macOS 10.13.6 (last version, Mojave releases tomorrow!) but the Clover options aren't same as SIO's video so I made some "educated guesses".  And unRAID 6.60

It's installing now... fingers crossed it all finishes and boots okay!

3 minutes ago, methanoid said:

I wouldnt give up yet... but just try to make sure you know exactly what you have done when you seek help?

You might take heart from this.... Mine failed totally yesterday. I restarted the VM just now and it suddenly decides to load the installer when yesterday it refuses. And I really HONESTLY have not touched any settings at all!!!

FYI, I used Q35 3.0, Clover v2.4k r4674 (latest currently), macOS 10.13.6 (last version, Mojave releases tomorrow!) but the Clover options aren't same as SIO's video so I made some "educated guesses".  And unRAID 6.60

It's installing now... fingers crossed it all finishes and boots okay!

Regardless of how I've configured my VM, it isn't  booting to the initial  boot (I never see the Apple or Clover Screen) so it seems that it's not even recognizing the Primary VDisk boot IMG file made from the Boot USB (which I've recreated several times on multiple USB Sticks).  I guess I don't understand where Clover is even involved as there is no mention of it at all through the first 9 minutes of the video (where SIO boots the VM and gets the clover boot screen).  It feels like I'm missing something or should have watched another video to do other things to prepare for this one.

35 minutes ago, SuperW2 said:

Regardless of how I've configured my VM, it isn't  booting to the initial  boot (I never see the Apple or Clover Screen) so it seems that it's not even recognizing the Primary VDisk boot IMG file made from the Boot USB (which I've recreated several times on multiple USB Sticks).  I guess I don't understand where Clover is even involved as there is no mention of it at all through the first 9 minutes of the video (where SIO boots the VM and gets the clover boot screen).  It feels like I'm missing something or should have watched another video to do other things to prepare for this one.

Try booting the USB stick in a PC.. Any EFI PC... it should load Clover. If not then you failed at the making your USB stick. If that works then I suggest you post your XML ?

EDIT: Blx, after setting it all up and doing the "copy your old Clover over new Clover folder" the thing just hangs at the Apple logo... Oh well... I know its just faffing around with the Clover settings to get it to work.....

Edited by methanoid
1 hour ago, methanoid said:

Try booting the USB stick in a PC.. Any EFI PC... it should load Clover. If not then you failed at the making your USB stick. If that works then I suggest you post your XML ?

OK, I deleted and redownloaded everything (including re-downloading the MacOS High Sierra Installer), new USB Stick, re-downloaded Clover 2.4K r4674, and it's actually booting now and beginning the install process.  So it's not totally complete yet but a lot further along.  I am using Q35-3.0 so far. 

6 hours ago, SuperW2 said:

OK, I deleted and redownloaded everything (including re-downloading the MacOS High Sierra Installer), new USB Stick, re-downloaded Clover 2.4K r4674, and it's actually booting now and beginning the install process.  So it's not totally complete yet but a lot further along.  I am using Q35-3.0 so far. 

Well, it boots once at least, which I guess is something... I get as far as installing Clover on the macOS shutting down the VM and restarting (@ About 17:30 in the video where you remove the Boot IMG from the XML) and can never get it to reboot again.  Just get a static Apple Logo on the VNC Window and nothing ever happens after...maybe I'll just wait to see if SIO does an update for the new OS.

-SW2

5 hours ago, SuperW2 said:

Well, it boots once at least, which I guess is something... I get as far as installing Clover on the macOS shutting down the VM and restarting (@ About 17:30 in the video where you remove the Boot IMG from the XML) and can never get it to reboot again.  Just get a static Apple Logo on the VNC Window and nothing ever happens after...maybe I'll just wait to see if SIO does an update for the new OS.

-SW2

Yup, thats exactly what I got.... you may see I edited my earlier post to add that... 

Just finished a new install of Mojave using latest clover and modified version of @SpaceInvaderOne‘s original vid. The vm survives reboot multiple times so probably correctly setup. I’ll post how I managed it shortly.

Needless to say, I’m skipping out on 10.13.6!

There may be some unneeded drivers/steps, but I'll leave that for the pros to figure out.

You need:

Mojave installer

SpaceInvader's OS High Sierra Support files (from high Sierra installer vid/usb creator vid)

Clover 2.4k_r4674

USB of at least 8GB

Following the usb creator video (and using utils included with download), make usb with Mojave in replacement of High Sierra

Clover install:

Using Clover 2.4k_r4674
Follow video on specifying where to install.

Customize:
Check the following:

UEFI only
Install Clover in the ESP

-Under UEFI Drivers
AppleImagecodec
AppleKeyAggregator
AppleKeyFeeder
AppleUITheme
DataHub
FirmwareVolume
FSInject
SMCHelper
VBoxHfs
ApfsDriverLoader (I’m not 100% sure you need this, as it says its for 10.13, but I checked it and mine installed, so it doesn't seem to hurt)
OsxAptioFix3Drv
PartionDxe

Screenshot shows all contents of drivers64UEFI folder from working Mojave vm, confirming what was checked/installed. apfs.efi copied over later.

378938774_ScreenShot2018-09-24at5_21_41PM.thumb.png.e0f83af5cd35976f458ebb63575c891d.png

Install clover on Mojave install disk/drive

Follow video to mount efi (if not auto mounted)

Copy apfs.efi (may not be needed, but as noted, my install works and survives rebooting.)

Copy fakesmc (I put it in the 10.14 folder as well as “other” just for good measure)

Copy q35.acpi

Copy config.plist as described in video

Follow high Sierra install video.

I installed with 8GB ram and 4 threads.

I used qemu 3.0 (on unraid 6.6.0)

When it comes to clover install portion, follow video but using newer clover instead, then copy the clover folder from installer disk to vm.

That's about it. I couldn't have wandered into getting this running without the previous work of @SpaceInvaderOne who will undoubtedly make a much cleaner install video in the near future!

Edited by 1812
  • Like 2
4 hours ago, IamSpartacus said:

Is there any way to setup a Mac OSX install disk on a Mac that is already on the latest version (Mojave) since the install OS app isn't available in the App store? 

errr it IS there.. was released Monday.. type Mojave in the AppStore and it's there, Downloaded mine same as every other macOS!

Mojave is working (seemingly so far) great on my Unraid 6.6.0

I used the direct upgrade method from a High Sierra VM I had previously created from Spaceinvader's guide. I had followed the guide completely.

Using QEMU 3.0 with q35-3.0 machine type

The VM has 8GB RAM and 4 virtual CPU cores

Using Clover 4458 2.4k_r. I made sure to put FakeSMC.kext in the EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other folder. I didn't bother to make a 10.14 folder.

I tried using Clover 2.4k_r4672 but QEMU repeatedly crashed with the following error:

PFLASH: Possible BUG - Write block confirm2018-09-27 07:10:57.966+0000: shutting down, reason=crashed

Passed though Geforce GT 710

My physical machine

Intel® Core™ i5-4590 CPU @ 3.30GHz

20GB RAM

Edited by Jagadguru
discretion
8 hours ago, Carbongrip said:

Looks like Mojave now needs +ssse3,+sse4.2 added to the xml as Mojave now uses these instructions that were introduced with Nehalem.

"needs" isn't the correct word, since mine runs fine on only

<qemu:arg value='Penryn,vendor=GenuineIntel,kvm=on,+invtsc,vmware-cpuid-freq=on,'/>

now with that said, it could run better, but i've only got it setup on one with vnc, and one vm with a gt730 passed through and havent had time to optimize it yet.

8 hours ago, Carbongrip said:

Anyone know if +popcnt also needs to be added on all systems or just some, for Mojave to work?

never used it.

I think I bricked my hackintosh...

I was using High Sierra. All worked except some Photos crashes. But largely all fine.

I now just updated to Mojave from High Sierra. All seemed fine, but upon restart, I get the Apple screen (with loading bar) and then turns into a black screen.

Is this the black screen of death or anything I can still do to trouble-shoot?