**VIDEO GUIDE** How to Install MacOS Mojave or High Sierra as a VM

SpaceInvaderOne

20 hours ago, IamSpartacus said:

Is there no other way to create a Mac OSX VM without creating the USB installer?  I can't create the USB install from my Macbook Pro because it's already on Mojave.

Look in your Applications folder, or on an external drive for Install macOS Mojave. It will not allow you to download it again if it sees that it is on your computer somewhere.

On 10/2/2018 at 11:58 AM, steve1977 said:

Thanks, this seems related, Unfortunately, I have disabled the clover shell at startup. Can I still trigger it via some key or otherwise?

It seems there may be some solution to boot into clovershell by using an external USB flash drive. No idea how I can do this within Unraid though? Any thoughts? And what version of clover shall I use for the flash?

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/solved-cant-access-bootloader-as-in-clover-fast-boot-mode.228285/

Ok so I'm installing Mojave using SIO's youtube video.  The only difference is that I used the latest version of clover that I downloaded today.  I got to the point where I booted the VM for the first time but I can't seem to get into the OVMF settings.  When I go to restart from the below screen and hit Delete non-stop, nothing happens is just boots back to this same screen.  Anything I'm missing that applies to Mojave that I may have missed?

wwsdL1u.jpg

Any idea of the key to get into the clovershell (I disabled it via fastboot)? Some sources say just to hold down any key, but this is not working for me. I can get into the OVMF bios, but that's not helping. I need the clovershell to fix my black screen issue. Any thought appreciated!
Try booting from a install USB

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, Jagadguru said:

They changed the key to F2 in the latest version of QEMU.

That's right. It also took me a few minutes to figure that out.

Hello you all,

I also managed to get Mojave installed as a VM and everything seems to work properly. The only thing I'm waiting for are the NVIDIA Web Drivers for Mojave. Then my passed through GTX 960 will work again.

Best regards
Schlichi

I didn't get it running, so went through a full fresh install. Worked well and Mojave is up and running.

Having said this, the mouse cursor doesn't move well and it is hard to get to certain part of the screen. I remember I had the issue before and somehow fixed it, but cannot remember how. Any thoughts?

Wow. Thanks to spaceinvader's videos i now have this to play with. Spent close to 6 hours completely on this...glad it works flawlessly

While the youtube guide videos may not be exactly the same with the latest clover and all, its still usable definitely...this is coming from a guy who has not touched osx just before noon today!! :P

Threadripper 1920x

X399 taichi 3.30

Unraid 6.6.1

Galax gtx 1070ti

20181010_014028.jpg

• Like 1
1 hour ago, ars92 said:

Wow. Thanks to spaceinvader's videos i now have this to play with. Spent close to 6 hours completely on this...glad it works flawlessly

While the youtube guide videos may not be exactly the same with the latest clover and all, its still usable definitely...this is coming from a guy who has not touched osx just before noon today!! :P

Threadripper 1920x

X399 taichi 3.30

Unraid 6.6.1

Galax gtx 1070ti

20181010_014028.jpg

Maybe you can tell us what options you used? Did you use the same OLD Clover SIO used or a new one (there are different options on new ones). If NEW then please tell us. Did you install from 10.13.6 installer or 10.13.x SIO used and then upgrade?

It does not work. macOS doesn't have the ACPI shutdown support like Windows and Linux. I've wandered is there is a way to hack it. Maybe make it SSH in and issue the shutdown command? Mine hard-power-offs all the time when my Unraid VM backup script runs. it has never gotten messed up or lost data. 

21 hours ago, methanoid said:

Maybe you can tell us what options you used? Did you use the same OLD Clover SIO used or a new one (there are different options on new ones). If NEW then please tell us. Did you install from 10.13.6 installer or 10.13.x SIO used and then upgrade?

Yup sure. Will get a post up later at night

EDIT:

So basically I used clover r4699. Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.6 downloaded from the App Store, but using a third party tool as I can't search High Sierra anymore, I guess due to Apple pushing people to use Mojave now.

Below is how my clover looks like before installing to the EFI partition while the thumb drive is being prepared. I did not use the two kext file spaceinvader used in his video.

Im also using APFS file system, and ensured GUID partition table was used for the thumb drive and also the partition I created on my SSD for the OS vdisk.

After its up just I followed spaceinvader's guide to use clover configurator to prepare the config.plist before installing the latest Nvidia web driver for my specific build (based on my About Mac)

As for audio, I just got  VoodooHDA installed as I just couldn't get the AppleALC to work with it. VoodooHDA works well though with the built in related on the x399, although it can crackle at times.

My only issues currently are it can get to a suspend state if I leave the VM idle for too long, and have to use unraid VM menu to resume it. Apart from that Geekbench does not seem to complete, it gets stuck at memory copy for over 15 minutes, before I decided to cancel it. It was causing all my  VM assigned cores to get maxed out at 100%

My XML is attached too for what its worth, you may notice I removed the topology line, with that line not removed you have to use a "proper" amount of cores assigned like 4 cores or else it will continuously reboot and not get to the installation screen. Got that info from a few pages back.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

clover_1.png

clover_2.png

macOS.txt

Edited by ars92
  • 2 weeks later...

Here are some tips for anyone having trouble getting HDMI audio to work with nvidia cards, particularly those like me who had it working under Sierra but had it break under High Sierra.

Start by downloading HDMIAudio.kext 1.1 from here

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9xenemmfwa1ee7b/HDMIAudio-1.1.dmg?dl=0

You'll also need ioRegistryExplorer from here

https://mac.softpedia.com/get/System-Utilities/IORegistryExplorer.shtml

Fire up ioRegistryExplorer.  In the search field, look for HDAU.  That should narrow things down to just your audio card.  Take a look at the properties on the right..  You'll see vendor-id and device-id.  Vendor-id should be <de 10 00 00> for any nvidia card.  Your device-id will be <xx xx 00 00>, where xxxx is your ID.  Mine was <ba 0f 00 00>, so BA0F is my device-id.  Yours is probably different.  Make a note of it.

Mount your EFI partition, and put HDMIAudio.kext in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other.

Next, fire up clover configurator and load up your config.plist.  In the "kernel and kext patches" section, create a new entry under KextsToPatch. Use com.apple.driver.AppleHDAController as the kext name. Put DE101A0E in the "find" column, and DE10XXXX in the "replace" column, replacing XXXX with your device ID. I put DE10BA0F there.

Reboot, and cross your fingers.

This patches AppleHDAController on the fly, replacing one of the valid IDs (DE101A0E) with your card's ID. That was enough for me to get HDMIAudio.kext to work as well as it did in 10.12 Sierra.

Not sure if this works under Mojave, I'm waiting for new web drivers to be released before I upgrade further.  However I don't believe that this kext edit would cause any problems if done properly under any macOS version.

Good luck!

Edited by iphillips77

I dont really get what i have done wrong.... any advice?

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?>
<domain type='kvm' xmlns:qemu='http://libvirt.org/schemas/domain/qemu/1.0'>
  <name>MacOS Mojave</name>
  <uuid>edc47394-6420-d03d-886f-198ebb841df0</uuid>
  <metadata>
    <vmtemplate xmlns="unraid" name="Linux" icon="unraid.png" os="linux"/>
  </metadata>
  <memory unit='KiB'>8388608</memory>
  <currentMemory unit='KiB'>8388608</currentMemory>
  <memoryBacking>
    <nosharepages/>
  </memoryBacking>
  <vcpu placement='static'>8</vcpu>
  <cputune>
    <vcpupin vcpu='0' cpuset='2'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='1' cpuset='10'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='2' cpuset='3'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='3' cpuset='11'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='4' cpuset='4'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='5' cpuset='12'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='6' cpuset='5'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='7' cpuset='13'/>
  </cputune>
  <os>
    <type arch='x86_64' machine='pc-q35-2.12'>hvm</type>
    <loader readonly='yes' type='pflash'>/usr/share/qemu/ovmf-x64/OVMF_CODE-pure-efi.fd</loader>
    <nvram>/etc/libvirt/qemu/nvram/edc47394-6420-d03d-886f-198ebb841df0_VARS-pure-efi.fd</nvram>
  </os>
  <features>
    <acpi/>
    <apic/>
  </features>
  <cpu mode='host-passthrough' check='none'>
    <topology sockets='1' cores='4' threads='2'/>
  </cpu>
  <clock offset='utc'>
    <timer name='rtc' tickpolicy='catchup'/>
    <timer name='pit' tickpolicy='delay'/>
    <timer name='hpet' present='no'/>
  </clock>
  <on_poweroff>destroy</on_poweroff>
  <on_reboot>restart</on_reboot>
  <on_crash>restart</on_crash>
  <devices>
    <emulator>/usr/local/sbin/qemu</emulator>
    <disk type='file' device='disk'>
      <driver name='qemu' type='raw' cache='writeback'/>
      <source file='/mnt/user/domains/MacOS Mojave/clover.qcow2'/>
      <target dev='hdc' bus='sata'/>
      <boot order='1'/>
      <address type='drive' controller='0' bus='0' target='0' unit='2'/>
    </disk>
      <source file='/mnt/user/domains/MacOS Mojave/MacOS Mojave.img'/>
      <target dev='hdd' bus='sata'/>
      <address type='drive' controller='0' bus='0' target='0' unit='3'/>
    </disk>
      <source file='/mnt/user/domains/MacOS Mojave/vdisk3.img'/>
      <target dev='hde' bus='sata'/>
      <address type='drive' controller='0' bus='0' target='0' unit='4'/>
    </disk>
    <controller type='usb' index='0' model='ich9-ehci1'>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x07' function='0x7'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='usb' index='0' model='ich9-uhci1'>
      <master startport='0'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x07' function='0x0' multifunction='on'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='usb' index='0' model='ich9-uhci2'>
      <master startport='2'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x07' function='0x1'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='usb' index='0' model='ich9-uhci3'>
      <master startport='4'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x07' function='0x2'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='sata' index='0'>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x1f' function='0x2'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='0' model='pcie-root'/>
    <controller type='pci' index='1' model='pcie-root-port'>
      <model name='pcie-root-port'/>
      <target chassis='1' port='0x10'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x02' function='0x0' multifunction='on'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='2' model='pcie-root-port'>
      <target chassis='2' port='0x11'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x02' function='0x1'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='3' model='pcie-root-port'>
      <target chassis='3' port='0x12'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x02' function='0x2'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='4' model='pcie-root-port'>
      <target chassis='4' port='0x13'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x02' function='0x3'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='virtio-serial' index='0'>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x02' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
    </controller>
    <interface type='bridge'>
      <mac address='52:54:00:9b:26:09'/>
      <source bridge='br0'/>
      <model type='virtio'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x01' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
    </interface>
    <serial type='pty'>
      <target type='isa-serial' port='0'>
        <model name='isa-serial'/>
      </target>
    </serial>
    <console type='pty'>
      <target type='serial' port='0'/>
    </console>
    <channel type='unix'>
      <target type='virtio' name='org.qemu.guest_agent.0'/>
      <address type='virtio-serial' controller='0' bus='0' port='1'/>
    </channel>
    <input type='tablet' bus='usb'>
      <address type='usb' bus='0' port='1'/>
    </input>
    <input type='mouse' bus='ps2'/>
    <input type='keyboard' bus='ps2'/>
    <graphics type='vnc' port='-1' autoport='yes' websocket='-1' listen='0.0.0.0' keymap='en-us'>
      <listen type='address' address='0.0.0.0'/>
    </graphics>
    <video>
      <model type='qxl' ram='65536' vram='65536' vgamem='16384' heads='1' primary='yes'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x01' function='0x0'/>
    </video>
    <memballoon model='virtio'>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x03' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
    </memballoon>
  </devices>
  <qemu:commandline>
    <qemu:arg value='-usb'/>
    <qemu:arg value='-device'/>
    <qemu:arg value='usb-mouse,bus=usb-bus.0'/>
    <qemu:arg value='usb-kbd,bus=usb-bus.0'/>
    <qemu:arg value='isa-applesmc,osk=Apple a day keeps the mods away'/>
    <qemu:arg value='-smbios'/>
    <qemu:arg value='type=2'/>
    <qemu:arg value='-cpu'/>
    <qemu:arg value='Penryn,vendor=GenuineIntel,kvm=on,+invtsc,+ssse3,+sse4_2,+popcnt,vmware-cpuid-freq=on,'/>
  </qemu:commandline>
</domain>

2018-10-25 19_28_22-EllisMediaServe_VMs.png

Edited by RSQtech

2 quick things I saw: clover.qcow2'/— pretty sure OS X doesn’t like this file type to boot from. Pretty much iso and Ingrid files . Second is your virtio Ethernet. OS X won’t recognize it. 

Consider starting over and follownthe video more closely.

also, remove the osk key from being posted on here. Mods are sensitive to that.

Edited by trurl
Deleted quote due to OSK

@1812 ya might want to remove it from your quote as well
@RSQtech wait for the prompt and type exit. then change the resolution as per SIO's video. Force stop the VM and then hit exit again when at the prompt but this time load the clover volume in the boot options. 

edit: actually you need to change the type='raw' to 'qcow2' 
      <source file='/mnt/user/domains/MacOS Mojave/clover.qcow2'/>
      <target dev='hdc' bus='sata'/>

and also like @1812 said change 'virtio' to 'vmxnet3'

</controller>
    <interface type='bridge'>
      <mac address='52:54:00:9b:26:09'/>
      <source bridge='br0'/>
      <model type='virtio'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x01' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
    </interface>

Edited by hendeeze
spelling