**VIDEO GUIDE** How to Install MacOS Mojave or High Sierra as a VM

SpaceInvaderOne

20 minutes ago, blaine07 said:

Well, with all do respects suggested code changes above ended disastrously. Once I fired up VM with the changes made the Unraid Server screen flickered and went kapoot. Didn't crash server, the OSX Mojave VM DID boot and function; at the expense of monitor on Unraid server itself. However in doing those changes the Mojave VM just didn't show ANYTHING at all for a video card. On the "about this mac" page it was just "blank" where the video card information would've been populated. 😞

Next suggestions?

So if you did it correctly, then you know your onboard isn’t supported by Mojave. Since it wasnt stubbed or isolated from unRaid, yes you lose the terminal or GUI if you booted into that mode. If you reboot it will return.

Your cheapest plug and play solution is a gt710, 720, or 730 as it uses builtin macOS drivers.

8 minutes ago, blaine07 said:

73c3ec3c863dc1d47f1831ab58b328b9.jpg

Now I can’t get VM to boot after pasting back working XML before I started changing things.

9765cc0c433aad850cc3c0c684d0761f.jpg

This is how graphics deal turned out.

To fix your vnc issue, change the port on the vnc section of your xml to something higher as another device took the original address. Or, in the xml file you sent posted earlier, if it was from the vm while shutdown, then paste it over what is in there now and you’ll be back to how it was.

dealing with macOS virtualization is a bit like nailing jello to a tree. Once you understand how to do it, it’s slightly less of a pain. Bit still more work than windows 10.

• Like 1

To fix your vnc issue, change the port on the vnc section of your xml to something higher as another device took the original address. Or, in the xml file you sent posted earlier, if it was from the vm while shutdown, then paste it over what is in there now and you’ll be back to how it was.

dealing with macOS virtualization is a bit like nailing jello to a tree. Once you understand how to do it, it’s slightly less of a pain. Bit still more work than windows 10.

Off top of tour head do you know how much the mentioned GT710 cards are?

I pasted XML back to XML just as it came from. The 5900 is what I would change?

I guess I’ll just have to play with it. They used to be 5901 and 5900 and managed to figure that out on their own so not sure why they aren’t playing nicely now.

Would this work OOTB or a specific brand to stick to?

ASUS GeForce GT 710 2GB GDDR5 HDMI VGA DVI Graphics Card Graphic Cards GT710-SL-2GD5-CSM https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073GF2CL6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_gylzCbWX7GRR0
1 minute ago, blaine07 said:

Would this work OOTB or a specific brand to stick to?

ASUS GeForce GT 710 2GB GDDR5 HDMI VGA DVI Graphics Card Graphic Cards GT710-SL-2GD5-CSM https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073GF2CL6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_gylzCbWX7GRR0

I’ve  used evga  and Asus w/out issue. That would work Ootb. Butnahop around, as you may be able to get a 730 for the same price and get a little bump in performance. I currently use a 710 on one Mojave vm and a 730 on another.

1 hour ago, 1812 said:

I’ve  used evga  and Asus w/out issue. That would work Ootb. Butnahop around, as you may be able to get a 730 for the same price and get a little bump in performance. I currently use a 710 on one Mojave vm and a 730 on another.

Yes, will do. Currently have the TOP PCIE 3.0(full height/full length) populated with a LSI 9040-8i card. I am assuming that I could move that down to the slot 3 which is PCIE 2.0(Full height/half lenght) slot and then populate slot one with a 710 or 730? Do the 710/730 require any other source of power than just the PCIE slot? I assume when I find one I will have to edit the "videocard" into my Mojave XML then copy my CPU and LAN stuff back into XML as if I was making any other edit?

6 minutes ago, blaine07 said:

Yes, will do. Currently have the TOP PCIE 3.0(full height/full length) populated with a LSI 9040-8i card. I am assuming that I could move that down to the slot 3 which is PCIE 2.0(Full height/half lenght) slot and then populate slot one with a 710 or 730? Do the 710/730 require any other source of power than just the PCIE slot? I assume when I find one I will have to edit the "videocard" into my Mojave XML then copy my CPU and LAN stuff back into XML as if I was making any other edit?

No additional power needed.

you should only have to add the gpu and it’s associated sound device. The quick way is make a “junk” vm with no disks. Assign the card  there and make note of the addresses. Save but not start. Go back in, change to xml view, scroll down to the hostdev section towards the bottom, copy both devices (from the start of. Hostdev to the /hostdev) then go into your OS X vm xml view, scroll down to same area, paste it in, then remove the line in each hostdev section that starts with “ address type='pci'” (it will be auto populated correctly) then save and boot.

you can sometimes run into issues using vnc and a gpu, so beat to remove the vnc lines.

Just now, 1812 said:

No additional power needed.

you should only have to add the gpu and it’s associated sound device. The quick way is make a “junk” vm with no disks. Assign the card  there and make note of the addresses. Save but not start. Go back in, change to xml view, scroll down to the hostdev section towards the bottom, copy both devices (from the start of. Hostdev to the /hostdev) then go into your OS X vm xml view, scroll down to same area, paste it in, then remove the line in each hostdev section that starts with “ address type='pci'” (it will be auto populated correctly) then save and boot.

you can sometimes run into issues using vnc and a gpu, so beat to remove the vnc lines.

Awesome; thank you! Going to try to get one ordered in the next few days. Standby LOL 😜 Thanks for the help thus far; I am sure I'll break some more stuff soon LOL

On 1/12/2019 at 7:09 PM, dkerlee said:

@bluntcascade @MasterMark  ***SOLVED*** Was having the same issue, trying to get Mojave, following step by step video, unRaid server has an AMD RYZEN 3 1200 4-Core YD1200BBAEBOX processor with SVM turned on in BIOS. There was no "install macOS" big picture button above the Clover buttons. I believe I found the issue: I didn't let the Disk Creator step entirely finish (there was no blue progress bar, and I quit out before I got the "Creation Completed. Click <OK> to continue" pop-up, so my install media was bunk.

NgKOiUzt.png

Once I redid that install media in Install Disc Creator, waited for the completion dialog window to pop-up, bing, all working. I verified with High Sierra install, and am going to just go with that one.

Exactly what I was looking for! I'll try create a new install image :) 

I created VM, performed all steps, and it boots up perfect; however, when I pass through a controller (Sonnet Allegro USB3-PRO-4P10-E), it takes about 5 minutes for the VM to even start, and the controller does show up in the OS X System Report. No USB devices show available that are plugged into the controller. Anything that I can check or do? I followed the SI1 video on controller passthrough and have another VM with a different controller (also Sonnet Allegro) passed through just fine. At one point I did see the controller on a different Mac VM, but I deleted that VM to create a new one and even following the same steps, cannot get it to show up now. 

If you can get a amd card without the reset issues go for it. Any RX card should work fine. Ill be sticking with high sierra till apple gives in. 

What “plug and play” options are there that aren’t 2-$300 choices like Rx580? Anything lower end plug and play and preferable “low profile”?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1 hour ago, blaine07 said:

Seeing everything in News about Apple Abandoning NVIDIA does it change your recommendation to me of a 710-20-30 card? Would Radeon be a better choice now? emoji848.png

I think eventually apple will have to authorize the drivers. It's just a waiting game. I've looked at radeon cards, but never made the jump. 

I think eventually apple will have to authorize the drivers. It's just a waiting game. I've looked at radeon cards, but never made the jump. 

Yeah.

Just not sure what to do. Was confused in first place lol and this doesn’t help. I was excited about the 710 it was not having fan and ONLY one pci slot and now looking at 560/70 they’re all with a fan and dual slots.
1 minute ago, blaine07 said:

Yeah.

Just not sure what to do. Was confused in first place lol and this doesn’t help. I was excited about the 710 it was not having fan and ONLY one pci slot and now looking at 560/70 they’re all with a fan and dual slots.

go cheap 710 for now, see what happens in 6 months.

I use a 710 in one Mojave VM and a 730 in another with no issues ootb.

What about this for a Majave VM:

EVGA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti SC Gaming, 4GB GDDR5, DX12 OSD Support (PXOC) Graphics Card 04G-P4-6253-KR https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MF7EQJZ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_tzZzCbYYG0Y2G

Someone has one I may be able to borrow...

Would it be a nightmare to configure with IDs and KEXT and etc that id never be able to figure out mate?

1812: thank you SO much for your continued efforts to get me straight here, it’s truly very gratefully appreciated mate!!!

[mention=88940]blaine07[/mention] There are still no Mojave web drivers for Nvidia 10 series cards available. I have the EVGA 1050ti and passthrough works but no acceleration with this card without the drivers.

Well as it is now I don’t even know if passthru is working for me; as in it shows I only have 4mb of video memory and even on VNC lots of screen artifacts and tearing and nearly un useable

Crap crap crap

6 minutes ago, blaine07 said:

What about this for a Majave VM:

EVGA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti SC Gaming, 4GB GDDR5, DX12 OSD Support (PXOC) Graphics Card 04G-P4-6253-KR https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MF7EQJZ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_tzZzCbYYG0Y2G

Someone has one I may be able to borrow... emoji848.png

Would it be a nightmare to configure with IDs and KEXT and etc that id never be able to figure out mate?

1812: thank you SO much for your continued efforts to get me straight here, it’s truly very gratefully appreciated mate!!!

can't really use it for Mojave currently.

Edited by 1812