**VIDEO GUIDE** How to Install MacOS Mojave or High Sierra as a VM

SpaceInvaderOne

40 minutes ago, blaine07 said:

So one last Q... will a 710 work in Mojave at moment? Staples may have some in stock and... yeah really want to try this mess.

If 710 will work what’s required to make it operational?

I currently use a 710 and a 730 on 2 different Mojave vm’s with no issues. You just pass it through and the native macOS drivers run it. That’s it. You may have issues with audio but that’s a minor annoyance vs not having video.

• Like 1
I currently use a 710 and a 730 on 2 different Mojave vm’s with no issues. You just pass it through and the native macOS drivers run it. That’s it. You may have issues with audio but that’s a minor annoyance vs not having video.

Sorry; read back and we’d covered that; just got excited thought BestBuy had a 710 in stock; they don’t. They do have some of the XFX AMD cards but apparently only a certain RX580 Pulse works on those.

Sorry to quite you AGAIN but couple more questions for clarifications...

When new card shows up I’ll power server down and install. When powering back up will video cable stay how it is(on IGPU) or will it now connect to 730? Will 730 ONLY be used for OSX VM or will entire Unraid box use it? For better or worse I usually like to keep Unraid box booted up to GUI. Will My Win10VM share the new card?

Any steps or information would be excellent. Mainly just not clear if once I install it the whole system will use it or remain on IGPU and only stuff passed through will use new card and if new card can be simultaneously passed through new 730 concurrently.

Thanks a ton!
24 minutes ago, blaine07 said:

Sorry to quite you AGAIN but couple more questions for clarifications...

When new card shows up I’ll power server down and install. When powering back up will video cable stay how it is(on IGPU) or will it now connect to 730? Will 730 ONLY be used for OSX VM or will entire Unraid box use it? For better or worse I usually like to keep Unraid box booted up to GUI. Will My Win10VM share the new card?

Any steps or information would be excellent. Mainly just not clear if once I install it the whole system will use it or remain on IGPU and only stuff passed through will use new card and if new card can be simultaneously passed through new 730 concurrently.

Thanks a ton!

leave your cable how they are. only thing to watch out for is making sure that your onboard/integrated GPU is set as primary in your bios. that will leave unRaid GUI on that monitor.

then you can run cables to another monitor for your osx vm from the Nvidia card.

You can use any other VM with the card as well, just not at the same time.

• Like 1
leave your cable how they are. only thing to watch out for is making sure that your onboard/integrated GPU is set as primary in your bios. that will leave unRaid GUI on that monitor.

then you can run cables to another monitor for your osx vm from the Nvidia card.

You can use any other VM with the card as well, just not at the same time.

Alright!

So Windows10 and OSX just BOTH can’t be booted at same time on Unraid? Win10 seems to be “fine” with IGPU though; I will probably just switch Mojoave to new GPU. I may not hook monitor to new GPU for Mojave; just need graphics to be “better than 4mb” and not tear and be all jacked up through VNC.

Thanks a ton, as usual mate!
2 minutes ago, blaine07 said:

Alright!

So Windows10 and OSX just BOTH can’t be booted at same time on Unraid? Win10 seems to be “fine” with IGPU though; I will probably just switch Mojoave to new GPU. I may not hook monitor to new GPU for Mojave; just need graphics to be “better than 4mb” and not tear and be all jacked up through VNC. 

you may need a dummy plug to set a resolution. also, try team viewer or other similar screen sharing programs vs vnc.

• Like 1

I don't know if this is mentioned somewhere else in this thread (I don't use MacOS), but saw this and thought I would mention it...  Apparently Qemu 3.1 (Used in the UnRaid 6.7.0-rc) has issues with Mojave...

https://wiki.qemu.org/Planning/3.1

Not yet fixed in any rc

Will not be fixed in this releaseThese are various known issues that appeared too late or are too minor to warrant fixing in this release. They will be fixed in 4.0 (and 3.1.1, where appropriate).

QEMU may not work on the OSX "Mojave" release if the GUI is being used (it's not clear what the circumstances where it fails are)

Edited by Warrentheo
  • Like 1
7 hours ago, blaine07 said:

Alright!

In order to have both operating systems booted and running at the same time, you need to have a GPU for each one.  If the iGPU works for Windows and you've ordered a GTX710 for Mojave, you can potentially run both at once if you have enough other resources in the system.

I built a machine specifically for running both OSes at once over a year ago that I am using today and love it.  Everything depends on the total resources of the machine and what you are trying to do with each operating system.  Running both at once gets into passing USB controllers and such so that you can have a keyboard and mouse for each system.  If you're looking to do that there's help here for you.  If you can get by with only 1 system running at a time, you should be all set.

Edited by ckoepf
In order to have both operating systems booted and running at the same time, you need to have a GPU for each one.  If the iGPU works for Windows and you've ordered a GTX710 for Mojave, you can potentially run both at once if you have enough other resources in the system.
I built a machine specifically for running both OSes at once over a year ago that I am using today and love it.  Everything depends on the total resources of the machine and what you are trying to do with each operating system.

Has a Xeon 3.5ghz quad core and 32gb of ram; should do fine; I think. Even with both VMS running now resources aren’t maxed or anything crazy. Yeah, I’ll just continue to run Unraid and Win10 off IGPU and Mojave off GT730. We’ll see what happens. Found a refurb GT730 on amazon for $39 so if it doesn’t work no big loss, will just pass it through for Win10 and give up on Mojave
On 2/16/2019 at 4:44 PM, blaine07 said:

Saw your edit, both will primarily be VMs for remote use. Don’t plan on using either locally much. Regardless after I get graphics figured out the USB pass through was next on my list. Hoping I can give a couple ports to each VM, somehow.

Based on 1812's posts, you should have no problems with the GT730 and Mojave.  I had other Nvidia cards working with High Sierra in the past and they worked great, right up to the point where I went to dual screens.  Then problems started.  I broke down and bought a 580x Radeon card for my Mac VM and have a Nvidia 1080 ti for the Windows VM.  This is my daily machine and I use both OSes interchangably all the time and push both of them to the limits, sometimes both at once.  I'm running a 10 core i9 7900x.  Your quad core should be fine with 4 vCPUs to each vm and split the ram, being sure to leave 1 or 2 gb for unraid to use.

As far as USB pass through, you'll need to determine how many USB controllers you have on your motherboard and will need to pass an entire controller to a vm if you want to plug and unplug USB devices in both operating systems.  If one system will only have fixed devices, say a keyboard, mouse and a sound device, you can pass through the individual USB devices to the VM instead of the controller.

ASMedia USB controllers seem to work great in MacOS.  I don't remember the chipset I have, but I've passed a bunch of them through without problems.  A few of us were discussing USB chipsets and controllers a ways back in this thread.

Based on 1812's posts, you should have no problems with the GT730 and Mojave.  I had other Nvidia cards working with High Sierra in the past and they worked great, right up to the point where I went to dual screens.  Then problems started.  I broke down and bought a 580x Radeon card for my Mac VM and have a Nvidia 1080 ti for the Windows VM.  This is my daily machine and I use both OSes interchangably all the time and push both of them to the limits, sometimes both at once.  I'm running a 10 core i9 7900x.  Your quad core should be fine with 4 vCPUs to each vm and split the ram, being sure to leave 1 or 2 gb for unraid to use.
As far as USB pass through, you'll need to determine how many USB controllers you have on your motherboard and will need to pass an entire controller to a vm if you want to plug and unplug USB devices in both operating systems.  If one system will only have fixed devices, say a keyboard, mouse and a sound device, you can pass through the individual USB devices to the VM instead of the controller.
ASMedia USB controllers seem to work great in MacOS.  I don't remember the chipset I have, but I've passed a bunch of them through without problems.  A few of us were discussing USB chipsets and controllers a ways back in this thread.

Thanks for the plethora of advice mate!! Is their is way to easily tell how many USB controllers I have?

Hopefully the 730 shows up mid next week.
4 minutes ago, blaine07 said:

Thanks for the plethora of advice mate!! Is their is way to easily tell how many USB controllers I have?

Hopefully the 730 shows up mid next week.

From the Unraid control panel, go to Tools and then select system devices.  You'll likely have more than 1 USB controller, but you can't pass the controller that your Unraid USB key is plugged into.  I ended up have 3 on my board.  2 controllers the ports on the back panel and front panel header and then there was another USB header plug on the board that was on a 3rd controller.  I don't recall immediately, but there is a way to show which controller the USB key is connected to by using the command line with a command.  I think Space Invader One has a video about USB controller pass through.

Edited by ckoepf
From the Unraid control panel, go to Tools and then select system devices.  You'll likely have more than 1 USB controller, but you can't pass the controller that your Unraid USB key is plugged into.  I ended up have 3 on my board.  2 controllers the ports on the back panel and front panel header and then there was another USB header plug on the board that was on a 3rd controller.  I don't recall immediately, but there is a way to show which controller the USB key is connected to by using the command line with a command.  I think Space Invader One has a video about USB controller pass through.

Looks like 3. I’m guessing Front3.0/Back 3.0/Back 2.0

1c101635d93bdee814617799d454ec91.jpg

That's probably a pretty good guess.  I would research if that Intel chipset will work with MacOS or not though.  If you find that it doesn't, you can always get an addon ASMedia card for $30 or so and pass that through instead.  There were a few people having problems passing through USB controllers in the past.  One of the problem ones was a Fresco I think.  Don't know about Intel, unless the Intel controller uses another chipset for the actual USB controller.

That's probably a pretty good guess.  I would research if that Intel chipset will work with MacOS or not though.  If you find that it doesn't, you can always get an addon ASMedia card for $30 or so and pass that through instead.  There were a few people having problems passing through USB controllers in the past.  One of the problem ones was a Fresco I think.  Don't know about Intel, unless the Intel controller uses another chipset for the actual USB controller.

66% chance of NOT hitting unraid port LOL.

I’ll have to find SpaceInvaders video on identifying ports LOL. I KNOW my luck; if it’s not bad luck it’s not my luck AND it’s never in my favor

I've had a High Sierra VM running quite some time thanks to Ed's tutorials.  I'm now trying to get the HDMI audio to work.  I want to run an audio streaming app in the VM and have the output go out HDMI to my AVR sound system.

I have a GT750 NVIDIA card passed thru(both video and audio) and OSX sees the two HDMI outputs but I'm getting no sound.  I searched thru this thread and found a few tips but nothing since Ed posted this latest tutorial.  

Is this something that should work or no...?

On 2/18/2019 at 4:37 PM, elmn8r said:

I've had a High Sierra VM running quite some time thanks to Ed's tutorials.  I'm now trying to get the HDMI audio to work.  I want to run an audio streaming app in the VM and have the output go out HDMI to my AVR sound system.

I have a GT750 NVIDIA card passed thru(both video and audio) and OSX sees the two HDMI outputs but I'm getting no sound.  I searched thru this thread and found a few tips but nothing since Ed posted this latest tutorial.  

Is this something that should work or no...?

I would think it should.  I have had audio working on various cards that I had passed to MacOS.  Have you tried adding the Voodoo HDA kext?  I have used it on hackintosh installs in the past and I believe I had even used it within Unraid for a little while when using an Nvidia card.  I also recall something about Nvidia audio drivers, but don't remember the details.  Voodoo HDA should work if nothing else will.  Just add it to your Clover config.