**VIDEO GUIDE** How to Install MacOS Mojave or High Sierra as a VM

SpaceInvaderOne

On 8/7/2019 at 11:00 PM, TRAVMO said:

Hey @david279, I've been trying for several days now to get catalina working using those files, but even using the ESP.qcow2 to boot it, I get stuck at "Welcome to clover 4920, scan entries". When you have a sec, can you comment on anything else you had to do? Tried a couple clover versions also just in case, but it seems like any version 4900+ I get this message.

Note that if you’re booting using a reinstalled Clover, be sure to delete Clover’s “drivers64UEFI/AudioDxe-64.efi” (it causes a hang).

Hello everybody, I have a big problem with a mac OS vm. I followed the instructions of SpaceInvaderOne and successfully installed mojave and high sirra. I noticed that the vm's are very sluggish.

I have only the problem that I get in geekbench singlecore only 850 points and multicore 5000.

I have from my Threadripper 1950x @ 3.8 Ghz 8 cores (isolated) and passed.

of course I have <qemu: arg value = 'Penryn, vendor = GenuineIntel, kvm = on, + invtsc, + avx, + avx2, + aes, + xsave, + xsaveopt, vmware-cpuid-freq = on,' /> added.

I have at times passed through an AMD RX580, which works well but makes no difference. I have tested more without a GPU.

System:

AMD 1950x @ 3.8 Ghz

64 GB Ram @ 3200 CL 14

Asrock Taichi Bios P3.50 and 3.60

Unraid 6.7.2

Does somebody has any idea? My Windows 10 Vm's with GPU and USB passtrought run for 2 years without any problems and in full speed.

On 8/4/2019 at 7:12 AM, david279 said:

image.thumb.png.6385880e3b6f12a9cf5858fee8dd9a17.png

Virtio support is catalina is real

I also find virt-net is support in catalina, but when I add a virtio-pci-net in unraid webui xml the vm crashed.

image.thumb.png.ca2d4675fca6e617423a5f3a60b55c11.png

So I hope it will support properly in later version then we can get 10G even 100G network support for our VM.

Edited by Leoyzen
On 8/17/2019 at 2:24 AM, david279 said:

I use dP with my rx 560 and get no sound from it. The roccat juke just works..plugged into a pcie usb 3.1 card that i pass though to the vm.

On 8/16/2019 at 9:17 PM, J.Nerdy said:

same sound issue passing through an rx570

On 8/12/2019 at 10:25 PM, iilied said:

my second high sierra install went smooth, except for sound through gtx 970 hdmi. it's passed through the vm template. can't get sound recognized whatsoever, even tried AppleHDA HDMI Audio [Guide]. have no idea what i'm doing wrong! would appreciate if anyone could point me to a fix or a direction.

also, is it normal for benjamin dobell's script, run on high sierra, to show "could not find a release for your os" for a gtx 970 when installing graphics driver? the card is recognized okay, but how do i know if it's not just patched or if there's any acceleration?

For those who have problem with AMD grahpics in hackintosh (DP/HDMI sound not work, reset bug or etc):

I've spent days to get my rx560 works well in Mojave(iMacPro1,1)/Catalina(MacPro7,1) both with metal support(also the hevc and h264 acceralation) and DP/HDMI sound, even without Lilu/WEG/AppleALC. It should work properly for  RX570/RX580 too(other cards such as nvidia and vms should doing thos too to get rid of problems).

You guys have to make sure in vm xml the graphic sound device are in same bus as video but different function.Then the sounds will work OOB.

<hostdev mode='subsystem' type='pci' managed='yes'>
  <driver name='vfio'/>
  <source>
    <address domain='0x0000' bus='0x2d' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
  </source>
  <rom file='/mnt/user/domains/mojave/Sapphire.RX560.4096.170419.rom'/>
  <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x01' slot='0x00' function='0x0' multifunction='on'/>
</hostdev>
<hostdev mode='subsystem' type='pci' managed='yes'>
  <driver name='vfio'/>
  <source>
    <address domain='0x0000' bus='0x2d' slot='0x00' function='0x1'/>
  </source>
  <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x01' slot='0x00' function='0x1'/>
</hostdev>

like the xml I've post , the video (0000:2d:00) and sound (0000:2d:01) should in same bus "0x01" but different function (video is "0x0" and sound is "0x1").

The unraid GUI won't do it automaticly(it just split the two functions of the card into multiple difference bus,maybe we can make it enhanment?) so you guys have to mannually edit the xml.

After doing that ,you will find the AMD reset bug hardly appears,the sound works, and hardware acceralation works OOB without any kext, everything works like charm.

Edit:

I found someone have mentioned before, from here.

Edited by Leoyzen
  • Like 1

Here U are, those files attached are my clover files for Catalina and Mojave as nearly bare metal VM, both works for VNC or Real Monitor with Graphics passthrough:

Something should notice:

* Catalina: MacPro7,1(which iMacPro1,1 not works for me it get reboot cyclely with "x86_topo_lock error")

* Mojave: iMacPro1,1

** It do not need any kext to make function work **

Both files contains OOB patch (for AMD RX560/570/580 patch to make hardware acceralation(HEVC & H264) work also to avoid black screen (make graphics in acpi gfx0 position should avoid this)) and Clover as new as possible (v5058, the latest wont boot for me).

Remember you should change SMBios UUID to avoid conflict.

Using this then you can get an OOB Hackintosh(Mojave or Catalona) works like charm.

On 9/19/2019 at 1:33 AM, david279 said:

@Leoyzen How did you get the iMacPro smbios to work? The one time i tried it i got nothing but black screens. Is the problem WEG or Clover? Im still running a clover in 4700 versions because of unRAID compatibility issues with never versions.

As I explained above, you should take some patches from clover to make iMacPro1,1 work for Mojave, also MacPro7,1 for Catalina(check my clover.plist).

mojave.clover.qcow2 catalina.clover.qcow2

Edit:

some steps to make rx560/570/580 works natively in mojave and catalina to support hevc/h264 hardware acceraltion without IGPU:

1. change your SMBios to iMacPro1,1(mojave) or MacPro7,1(Catalina)
  2. select ACPI --> Add DTGP in clover:add some method in acpi for later use.
  3. select ACPI --> FixDisplay:  in order to change your grahpic to gfx0
  4. select KernalAndDriverPathes --> Black Screen Patch Vega 56/64, RX580 etc. (c)Pike R. Alpha: fix blackscreen issues
  5. (Optional)If not work, then add LILU/WEG to you kexts directory.

Here are some screen shots about my VM:

image.thumb.png.27e8e039b717ab993755fcaf30d862fe.png

Geekbench 5 with 4 cores/ 8 threads of my 3700x:

image.thumb.png.c968fad74abb0f5474d8a62848493465.png

Edited by Leoyzen
  • Like 3
On 9/17/2019 at 2:39 PM, chatman64 said:

Hello everybody, I have a big problem with a mac OS vm. I followed the instructions of SpaceInvaderOne and successfully installed mojave and high sirra. I noticed that the vm's are very sluggish.

I have only the problem that I get in geekbench singlecore only 850 points and multicore 5000.

I have from my Threadripper 1950x @ 3.8 Ghz 8 cores (isolated) and passed.

of course I have <qemu: arg value = 'Penryn, vendor = GenuineIntel, kvm = on, + invtsc, + avx, + avx2, + aes, + xsave, + xsaveopt, vmware-cpuid-freq = on,' /> added.

I have at times passed through an AMD RX580, which works well but makes no difference. I have tested more without a GPU.

System:

AMD 1950x @ 3.8 Ghz

64 GB Ram @ 3200 CL 14

Asrock Taichi Bios P3.50 and 3.60

Unraid 6.7.2

Does somebody has any idea? My Windows 10 Vm's with GPU and USB passtrought run for 2 years without any problems and in full speed.

It is strange, I'm using 3700x and passthrough 4 core 4 thread into the VM, and I've got 1100+ single core and 9000+ multicore score.

Does "Meta support" enables for you ? You should find the information in "about my mac ---> System Infomation ---> Grahpics" .

It may cause the performance problem.

1 hour ago, Leoyzen said:

Here U are, those files attached are my clover files for Catalina and Mojave as nearly bare metal VM,

Remember you should change SMBios UUID to avoid conflict.

mojave.clover.qcow2 12.56 MB · 2 downloads catalina.clover.qcow2 22 MB · 2 downloads

Thank you very much, much appreciated. I will try soon and report back; I hope to avoid to stuck at the clover "scan entries" screen.

I found out what was the problem with my attempts to update clover without success, I'm sharing it here, maybe it will be of some help for other people.

My problem was that clover hanged at "scan entries": thanks to Leoyzen who shared its working EFI folder I could find out that my EFI folder structure was wrong.

To update clover I always downloaded the iso image from sourceforge, made my modifications, mounted the EFI folder inside osx and copied the new updated efi folder.

Somewhere in the past the folder structure of clover changed, more into details folder CLOVER/drivers64UEFI changed into CLOVER/drivers/UEFI.

So I maintained the new folder structure inside my efi folder (CLOVER/drivers/UEFI) : the error is here, CLOVER/drivers/UEFI is not the correct structure, CLOVER/drivers64UEFI is the correct one!

The scan entries error was because no driver was loaded and clover couldn't find any hd to boot from! With the new folder structure I'm able to update clover without problems; v.5089 works for me on mojave.

Thanks again Leoyzen!

Edited by ghost82
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, ghost82 said:

I found out what was the problem with my attempts to update clover without success, I'm sharing it here, maybe it will be of some help for other people.

My problem was that clover hanged at "scan entries": thanks to Leoyzen who shared its working EFI folder I could find out that my EFI folder structure was wrong.

To update clover I always downloaded the iso image from sourceforge, made my modifications, mounted the EFI folder inside osx and copied the new updated efi folder.

Somewhere in the past the folder structure of clover changed, more into details folder CLOVER/drivers64UEFI changed into CLOVER/drivers/UEFI.

So I maintained the new folder structure inside my efi folder (CLOVER/drivers/UEFI) : the error is here, CLOVER/drivers/UEFI is not the correct structure, CLOVER/drivers64UEFI is the correct one!

The scan entries error was because no driver was loaded and clover couldn't find any hd to boot from! With the new folder structure I'm able to update clover without problems; v.5070 works for me on mojave.

Thanks again Leoyzen!

You can just upgrade/replace the two efi files (EFI/CLOVER/CLOVERX64.efi and EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.efi, they are the same file) which download from github instead of install whole directory by pkg or iso.

Edited by Leoyzen
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1