**VIDEO GUIDE** How to Install MacOS Mojave or High Sierra as a VM

SpaceInvaderOne

Is anyone using a WiFi card with their macOS VM?

I have this passed through: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VCCZS54/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's a BCM94360CD, so works OOB in macOS. Handoff and continuity features are working with it installed. My only issue is, the card prevents a clean shutdown of the VM. macOS appears to shut down fine but the VM hangs on "Shutting down" and there are no error messages in dmesg.

Just wondering if anyone experienced the same and knew of a way of fix it. Not a huge deal, I can live with having to hard shut down the VM every so often but obviously this risks some corruption of the disk. Reboots work fine however.

10 minutes ago, david279 said:

What kext are you using period? Did it shutdown normally before installing? I find the NullCPUpowermanagement.kext can cause issues with shutting down and rebooting. Are you using it?

The only kext I have installed is one for my Ethernet which I am also passing through. IntelMausiEthernet.kext. Removing that doesn't fix the issue though, it's isolated to the WiFi card. If I don't pass through the WiFi card, the system goes back to shutting down normally.

I tried booting macOS in verbose mode to catch any errors on the shutdown process, or to see if it was hanging there, but doesn't seem to be - it goes to a full black screen and the monitor signal goes to off.

I don't know if there's anything different I can try with how I'm attaching the PCI device to the VM that could fix it possibly.

Edited by x3sphere
1 minute ago, x3sphere said:

The only kext I have installed is one for my Ethernet which I am also passing through. IntelMausiEthernet.kext. Removing that doesn't fix the issue though, it's isolated to the WiFi card. If I don't pass through the WiFi card, the system goes back to shutting down normally.

I tried booting macOS in verbose mode to catch any errors on the shutdown process, or to see if it was hanging there, but doesn't seem to be - it goes to full black screen and the monitor signal goes to off.

I don't know if there's anything different I can try with how I'm attaching the PCI device to the VM that could fix it possibly.

Ok cool my pcie card has a usb connection that has to be made for Bluetooth to work, I actually plug it into a usb port on a passed through usb 3.0 card. 

1 minute ago, david279 said:

Ok cool my pcie card has a usb connection that has to be made for Bluetooth to work, I actually plug it into a usb port on a passed through usb 3.0 card. 

Oh mine has that too - it's plugged into one of the USB headers on the mobo. I'm also passing through an entire USB controller from my mobo to the VM.

I did try not passing through the USB controller and that didn't help though. Also passing through the USB controller without the card works fine. So it's just passing through the card itself that is causing issues for some reason...

15 hours ago, zzgus said:

About Catalina...

After downloading catalina I'm unable to install because I have not free space on hd.

I have increased vdisk with this command:

"qemu-img resize /path_to_vdisk/vdisk1.img +15G"

and I can see on unraid vdisk has increased from 30 to 45GB.

But how do I increase the hd inside mac os?

3.png.f103000dc997eec6ec0df2a966bb4905.png

Thankyou
Gus

diskutil apfs resizeContainer disk0s2 0

In this case, diskutil automatically claims all available free space on the physical storage device, but you can also replace 0 with a size value, if you want a specific one

• Thanks 1
19 hours ago, ghost82 said:

Yes, finally I was able to upgrade and all is working good.

To use smbios macpro7,1 I must keep the MCEReportDisabler.kext into my /Library/Extensions otherwise I have kernel panic.

virtio not working for me (I'm not investigating why), have to use vmxnet3.

This the kernel panic for virtio:

kp-virtio.png.36db40a4786fd7ecd91ce20b91024c88.png

I also have a notification from the os: "Memory Modules Misconfigured: More than the maximum supported memory is installed in your Mac"

Is there a way to map the ram slots as for example for what we do with the topology line for the cpu? I have 16GB ram in this vm.

No, we do not have much options to map memory slots.

To use virtio net, you have to do two thing:

1. hotplug virtio ethernet instead of predefined

2. boot args with debug=0x100 and keepsyms=1

• Like 1
9 hours ago, thomas said:

diskutil apfs resizeContainer disk0s2 0

In this case, diskutil automatically claims all available free space on the physical storage device, but you can also replace 0 with a size value, if you want a specific one

I have run the comand and I have seen a progress bar but when I see the hd inside vm has the same size as before.

diskutil.png.1e74c3041101b213cf1c97fdaf587046.png

Thankyou

Gus

**** SOLVED ****

As @glennv pointed with:

diskutil repairDisk /dev/disk0
diskutil apfs resizeContainer disk0s2 48G

Edited by zzgus

run it with specifying size. Using a zero never worked for me.

So for example diskutil apfs resizeContainer disk0s2 48G

rem: if you get an error complaining about partition map too small, run "diskutil repairDisk /dev/disk0" and then retry the resize. You typicaly get this error if you use the diskutil gui version to resize the container. Running this command before fixes that.

On 9/19/2019 at 6:02 AM, Leoyzen said:

Here U are, those files attached are my clover files for Catalina and Mojave as nearly bare metal VM, both works for VNC or Real Monitor with Graphics passthrough:

Something should notice:

* Catalina: MacPro7,1(which iMacPro1,1 not works for me it get reboot cyclely with "x86_topo_lock error")

* Mojave: iMacPro1,1

** It do not need any kext to make function work **

Both files contains OOB patch (for AMD RX560/570/580 patch to make hardware acceralation(HEVC & H264) work also to avoid black screen (make graphics in acpi gfx0 position should avoid this)) and Clover as new as possible (v5058, the latest wont boot for me).

Remember you should change SMBios UUID to avoid conflict.

Using this then you can get an OOB Hackintosh(Mojave or Catalona) works like charm.

As I explained above, you should take some patches from clover to make iMacPro1,1 work for Mojave, also MacPro7,1 for Catalina(check my clover.plist).

mojave.clover.qcow2 12.56 MB · 21 downloads catalina.clover.qcow2 22 MB · 25 downloads

Edit:

some steps to make rx560/570/580 works natively in mojave and catalina to support hevc/h264 hardware acceraltion without IGPU:

1. change your SMBios to iMacPro1,1(mojave) or MacPro7,1(Catalina)
  2. select ACPI --> Add DTGP in clover:add some method in acpi for later use.
  3. select ACPI --> FixDisplay:  in order to change your grahpic to gfx0
  4. select KernalAndDriverPathes --> Black Screen Patch Vega 56/64, RX580 etc. (c)Pike R. Alpha: fix blackscreen issues
  5. (Optional)If not work, then add LILU/WEG to you kexts directory.

Here are some screen shots about my VM:

image.thumb.png.27e8e039b717ab993755fcaf30d862fe.png

Geekbench 5 with 4 cores/ 8 threads of my 3700x:

image.thumb.png.c968fad74abb0f5474d8a62848493465.png

Tnx Leoyzen,

You saved me from going mad after a few days struggle to get upgrades (either from mojave or from latest catalina beta win Vega 56 card) to catalina final working. Whatever i tried , it never worked. either bootloops or freezes.

Was super confused as all worked fine for every beta until the final, which broke. Was something in my EFI but endless tries did not managed to find it. Did find the bootlooper (fixed by MCEReporterDisabler.kext) but ran into other crap.

By using your catalina.clover.qcow as a base and overwriting my own, adding MCEReporterDisabler.kext, Lilu and CPUfriend to  kexts/Other directory (to keep /Library/Extensions clean) it finaly went thru on a copy of my main Davinci Resolve render node.

All working fine incl acceleration as pre upgrade. Was using iMacPro1.1 before but the new Macpro7.1 seems to also work great post upgrade.

Not sure if there is any sideeffects of the funny message about memory banks. Renders tests all good and no difference so guess we can ignore it, but if you find anything please let us know.

p.s. Am using physical 10G cards so have not looked into virtio that seems to have some succes now, but maybe in the future (as i dont like that it needs post start hotplug apparently). I used physical hardware basically because virtual network cards on OSX sucked bigtime sofar so if that situation has changed it would be a very interesting development.

17 minutes ago, glennv said:

Not sure if there is any sideeffects of the funny message about memory banks

So, I'm not alone :)

Activity monitor reports the correct installed memory (16 Gb), if I click on "learn more" on the notification about memory misconfiguration nothing happens (ps: there are a lot of broken links in Catalina).

24 minutes ago, ghost82 said:

So, I'm not alone :)

Activity monitor reports the correct installed memory (16 Gb), if I click on "learn more" on the notification about memory misconfiguration nothing happens (ps: there are a lot of broken links in Catalina).

nope ☺️

Guess its related to using an smbios of an as of yet not existing MacPro hahaha.

tried with 8/16/32G mem. no difference. so far seems cosmetic (i hope) 🙏

8 hours ago, david279 said:

I had 4k60 working with high Sierra using a gt 1030 but need high quality HDMI 2.0 cables. Cheap cables just won't get it. 

That was probably the case.

The "Black Screen Patch Vega 56/64, RX580 etc. (c)Pike R. Alpha" patch from the drop-down list in Kernel and Kext Patches solved my DP issue.

Hello all OSX users 🙂

I see lot of case where sound is gone trough HDMI, I'm now on Catalina 10.15 (19A583) and clover r5070. 

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017)

I have an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 2 GB that has been working great, but not longer. What is the step I need to take to get sound from HDMI?

BR

Peter

1 hour ago, peter_sm said:

Hello all OSX users 🙂

I see lot of case where sound is gone trough HDMI, I'm now on Catalina 10.15 (19A583) and clover r5070. 

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017)

I have an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 2 GB that has been working great, but not longer. What is the step I need to take to get sound from HDMI?

BR

Peter

Look at this post

Q: Can a motherboard bios update affect the macOS VM's performance?

I've been having major issues for months now with my macOS VM's freezing. I just completed a vanilla install of Mojave following the video tutorial and I am experiencing abysmal performance in Splashtop. Same goes for Screen Sharing in the Apple System Preferences menu. I've disabled the Apple Screen Sharing thinking that was it, but it's not. Launching the VNC window from the Unraid dashboard doesn't experience any lag or issues. It's only when I am using Apple Screen Share and Splashtop. I haven't even installed any programs let alone Avid Media Composer.

I haven't installed the Nvidia drivers since I am running headless. I've had a High Sierra VM back in Q4 2018 working great through Q1 2019. I've been noticing these hard freezing issues since I updated the bios in March 2019. I've recently updated the Designare X399 to the latest bios last night thinking that would help solve the issue but no luck. I also turned off HPET in the bios last night thinking that would help, but no such luck.

Any help, wisdom, or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

My original post:

**UPDATE**

• I am happy to report a full on lag free experience last night during a four hour edit session in High Sierra after switching from vmxnet3 to e1000-82545em for the network adapter.
  • I also did note a lag free experience on virtio as the network adapter since I forgot to change it at one point during my testing of the system.
Edited by Zer0Nin3r
Updated positive test results. Removed XML sample template.