**VIDEO GUIDE** How to Install MacOS Mojave or High Sierra as a VM

SpaceInvaderOne

@ghost82@ghost82Try move the onboard audio from bus=x to bus=0 but slot=y.This will try to make the audio builtin.

According to the code, it recognized the audio as a addon of pci-device (like graphic audio),and some device already occupied the buildin audio position, did u put your graphic audio in the same bus as gfx?

Or post your xml, it maybe something wrong with the bus assignment.

Edited by Leoyzen
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Leoyzen said:

Try move the onboard audio from bus=x to bus=0 but slot=y.This will try to make the audio builtin.

People, we have a genius here, seriously.

It works! Moving the built-in audio to bus 0x00 and slot 0x02 finally makes AppleALC work.

So, resuming:

- AppleALC+Lilu kexts in CLOVER kexts Other folder

- built-in audio bus 0x00 and slot 0x0y (where y is a number different from 0)

- In clover config.plist: Devices --> Audio: Inject=No

- In clover config.plist: Devices --> Audio: check ResetHDA

- In clover config.plist: Devices --> Properties --> Devices: fill in with the proper address (use gfxutil with command gfxutil-1.79b-RELEASE/gfxutil -f HDEF)

- In clover config.plist: Devices --> Properties --> Add property key: layout-id, Property value: x (where x is a number reflecting the audio layout, see here for layouts for supported codecs: https://github.com/acidanthera/applealc/wiki/supported-codecs ) (my working layout is 7), Value type: NUMBER

- (Optional) In clover config.plist: Boot --> add boot arguments -liludbg and -alcdbg: this will work if you use the DEBUG kexts; when your system boots you can give this command in terminal to check for Lilu/AppleALC:

log show --predicate 'process == "kernel" AND (eventMessage CONTAINS "AppleALC" OR eventMessage CONTAINS "Lilu")' --style syslog --source

Unfortunately I cannot check for HDMI audio of my GPU as I don't have a hdmi cable, but from the attached log it seems ok (HDAU).

Relevant parts of the xml for the vm:

Passed through GPU and audio of the GPU:

<hostdev mode='subsystem' type='pci' managed='yes'>
      <driver name='vfio'/>
      <source>
        <address domain='0x0000' bus='0x83' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
      </source>
      <alias name='hostdev0'/>
      <rom file='/mnt/user/GTXTitanBlack.dump'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x03' slot='0x00' function='0x0' multifunction='on'/>
    </hostdev>
      <driver name='vfio'/>
      <source>
        <address domain='0x0000' bus='0x83' slot='0x00' function='0x1'/>
      </source>
      <alias name='hostdev1'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x03' slot='0x00' function='0x1'/>
    </hostdev>

As pointed out by Leoyzen, gpu and gpu audio must be in same bus (in this case 0x03) and different function (0x0 for gpu, 0x1 for gpu audio).

Built-in audio (passed through):

<driver name='vfio'/>
      <source>
        <address domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x1b' function='0x0'/>
      </source>
      <alias name='hostdev2'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x02' function='0x0'/>
    </hostdev>

Built-in audio in bus 0x00.

Siri is working ok.

Clover settings for built-in audio

1.thumb.png.bb7747b5728448d5d76bd5118280b145.png

I'm saving the VoodooHDA as a second option for the audio and use AppleALC.

@Leoyzen May I ask you, what was the input to make me change the bus of the built-in audio?

lilu-AppleALC-log.txt

Edited by ghost82
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, ghost82 said:

Unfortunately I cannot check for HDMI audio of my GPU as I don't have a hdmi cable, but from the attached log it seems ok (HDAU).

DP is with audio,it should work too.

1 hour ago, ghost82 said:

@Leoyzen May I ask you, what was the input to make me change the bus of the built-in audio?

According to the code, Lilu will try to find audio device.There are two type of audio:

1.audio with grahpic(indentified by v.video)

2.audio builtin onboard(assigned to variable audioBuiltinAnalog)

And Lilu set audio as onboard builtin (audioBuiltinAnalog) only when meet two condition:

1. the audio is in pci-root (not pci-bridge), this is why I sugguest to set audio to bux=0 and slot=y
  2. the audio is in pci-bridge, but there is no video under the same bus. This is why I said u make the graphic audio incorrectlly because it will be marked onboard audio

If you set graphics audio incorrect, Lilu will not find the video with the audio, then it assigned it to audioBuiltinAnalog; when it meet the true builtin audio, the audioBuiltinAnalog is already occupied by grahpics audio, so it will not recognize the correct onboard audio device.

18 hours ago, tpruszin said:

I’m running clover sorry yes I realised that’s important 

It's interesting. The newest clover works too.

Edited by Leoyzen
  • Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, Leoyzen said:

If you set graphics audio incorrect, Lilu will not find the video with the audio, then it assigned it to audioBuiltinAnalog

Yes, just to point out that my xml config was wrong. I checked some weeks ago and it seemed to me that it was ok, maybe I was tired, because it wasn't set at all according to your instructions.

On 10/14/2019 at 2:31 PM, Jagadguru said:

Glad to hear you finally got it! Now if I could get e1000-82545em to work with Catalina. Does the above pic look right?

A lot of things break when that driver loads. Finder won't open, screenshot doesn't work, won't shut down, preferences crashes.

@Jagadguru, are you bridging your e1000-82545em to br0?

I ask because I've been running e1000-82545em bridged to br0 for years, with both High Sierra and Mojave.

But Catalina melts down (doesn't fully paint the menu bar, gives me lots of beachballs, won't shut down) with that same configuration.

If I change to a non-bridged e1000-82545em configuration, it works great...but I really need bridging back.

No luck fixing it yet. Along the way, I've learned that vmxnet3 bridging works...but then I can't log into App Store or iCloud. 😓

On 10/19/2019 at 2:01 PM, bland328 said:

@Jagadguru, are you bridging your e1000-82545em to br0?

I ask because I've been running e1000-82545em bridged to br0 for years, with both High Sierra and Mojave.

But Catalina melts down (doesn't fully paint the menu bar, gives me lots of beachballs, won't shut down) with that same configuration.

If I change to a non-bridged e1000-82545em configuration, it works great...but I really need bridging back.

No luck fixing it yet. Along the way, I've learned that vmxnet3 bridging works...but then I can't log into App Store or iCloud. 😓

Yes this is exactly my problem. But I also need bridging because I need my VM to have an address on the main subnet for automated ssh, etc. Yes vmxnet3 has a crippled slow upload speed, so it fails at some connections.

16 hours ago, Jagadguru said:

Yes this is exactly my problem. But I also need bridging because I need my VM to have an address on the main subnet for automated ssh, etc. Yes vmxnet3 has a crippled slow upload speed, so it fails at some connections.

Thanks for the information, @Jagadguru. I'm not sure if it is faster than vmxnet3 or not, but you can have a look here:

to see how I solved/worked around this issue by using e1000E, if you like!

• Like 1

Hello Guys,

I successfully had my mojave vm up and running on my radeon vii (specs below) thanks to comment by Leoyzen. I installed it using the provided guide of this thread. Everything worked fine. With hardware acceleration and even the reset bug was fixed.

For 2 days I'm now trying to install Catalina without success. Yesterday I stumbled across Macinabox. Installation and initial setup worked like a charme, but to get my radeon vii running is a mess. Again, following the comment by Leoyzen I tried to tweak clover to get my gpu working. But my vm wont boot using MacPro7,1 and  iMacPro1,1 (and some more) (Clover seems to be caught in a loop). It boots up fine using iMac18,3 for instance but the OS is only unusable (Finder wont launch for instance) when it is using the radeon vii. The same system works fine using the same smbios with VNC.

Also under About this Mac the processor is shown as a 3,79GHz Intel Core solo.

Just now, SpaceInvaderOne said:

Does anyone have a clue whats going on? Or do you need more information? Thanks in advance ;)

Here are my files:

clover.zip

macOS_Catalina_xml_VNC.txt

macOS_Catalina_xml_radeon_vii_USB.txt

diagnostics-20191028-1240.zip

Edited by databaseland
insufficient details
20 minutes ago, databaseland said:

Hello Guys,

I successfully had my mojave vm up and running on my radeon vii (specs below) thanks to comment by Leoyzen. I installed it using the provided guide of this thread. Everything worked fine. With hardware acceleration and even the reset bug was fixed.

For 2 days I'm now trying to install Catalina without success. Yesterday I stumbled across Macinabox. Installation and initial setup worked like a charme, but to get my radeon vii running is a mess. Again, following the comment by Leoyzen I tried to tweak clover to get my gpu working. But my vm wont boot using MacPro7,1 and  iMacPro1,1 (and some more). It boots up fine using iMac18,3 for instance but the OS is only unusable (Finder wont launch for instance) when it is using the radeon vii. The same system works fine using the same smbios with VNC.

Also under About this Mac the processor is shown as a 3,79GHz Intel Core solo.

Does anyone have a clue whats going on? Or do you need more information? Thanks in advance ;)

Here are my files:

clover.zip 18.33 MB · 1 download

macOS_Catalina_xml_VNC.txt 5.99 kB · 1 download

macOS_Catalina_xml_radeon_vii_USB.txt 6.21 kB · 1 download

diagnostics-20191028-1240.zip 95.44 kB · 0 downloads

Need this kext for iMacPro or MacPro to work. Put it in kext/other folder.

MCEReporterDisabler.kext.zip

16 minutes ago, david279 said:

Need this kext for iMacPro or MacPro to work. Put it in kext/other folder.

thanks. Now its booting correctly. but I still get the broken OS issue. Namely Finders status in the dock is "Application Not Responding". Some other system programs do work though.

B99C37C6-9864-49E5-9A73-8298F030513D.jpeg

1EB0B1A6-E8D2-49AD-840D-476FED49C52B.jpeg

Edited by databaseland
pictures added
4 minutes ago, databaseland said:

thanks. Now its booting correctly. but I still get the broken OS issue. Namely Finders status in the dock is "Application Not Responding". Some other system programs do work though.

Use this for the arg values at the end of your xml. Also delete the NullCPU kext. You dont need it.

<qemu:arg value='Penryn,vendor=GenuineIntel,kvm=on,+invtsc,+xgetbv1,+avx,+avx2,+aes,+xsave,+xsaveopt,+ssse3,+sse4_2,+popcnt,+bmi2,+smep,+bmi1,+fma,+movbe,vmware-cpuid-freq=on,'

Edited by david279

Thanks @david279 but this didn’t change anything. 

I tried to configure my vm from scratch using the Radeon vii but this only bricked my gpu.

I used the Form view at first, added my gpu and then edited the xml. This didn’t work. So there may be something wrong with the xml part and integrating the gpu. As I said: the system works fine with VNC but behaves weird with the gpu (though the gpu seems to work fine)

here is my updated xml:

macOS_Catalina_xml_updated.txt

Edited by databaseland

@databaselandI did not seeing that you passthrough the graphic audio with the gfx.

And does metal work?

Which version of Liu/WEG do you use?

1. passthrough all the part of the graphics(gfx, audio, usb) and set the bus correctly in the xml

2. use iMacPro instead of MacPro7,1

3. remove "Fix Display" and other patch which related to the graphic use the Liu I post and the latest WEG then try again.

On 10/19/2019 at 11:34 AM, bland328 said:

@Zer0Nin3r, are you saying that your Mojave networking is working with virtio? If so, would you mind sharing the snippet of XML that defines your connection?

All I did was forget to change the model type under bridge. I didn't change anything else. The default model type is virtio. What I was saying was that I didn't notice any lag when playing around in Mojave.

BTW I am not running Mojave for my editing rig for the simple fact that Nvidia hasn't release web drivers for Mojave. And since I am running a headless server, I cannot get a proper resolution even though I am passing through my GPU with a HDMI 1080p TV emulator dongle. So, that is why I am on High Sierra, because I have proper GPU pass through. The patch when dong the Nvidia drivers install using the script that Space Invader provides (that script was written by someone else BTW, I just forget his name to credit him properly) is so you can display your Mojave VM properly if you have a monitor hooked up to your Unraid server and are passing through a Nvidia GPU.

Lastly, I am running the em1000-825454em model type under High Sierra with good results when I remote in with my thin client on the local network.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

P.S. - I haven't even tried to tackle Catalina for the same reason: I need proper GPU support so that my macOS VM isn't stuck in 4:3 mode.

13 hours ago, Leoyzen said:

And does metal work?

Yes

Which version of Liu/WEG do you use?

Lilu 1.3.8 - 1.3.9 doesnt show at https://github.com/acidanthera/Lilu/releases

weg 1.3.3 - again I cannot find the latest version (1.3.4 on the interwebs) https://github.com/acidanthera/WhateverGreen/releases

1. passthrough all the part of the graphics(gfx, audio, usb) and set the bus correctly in the xml

updated it and it works no problem. I didnt do it before cause I didnt need audio and the gpu worked nevertheless

2. use iMacPro instead of MacPro7,1

3. remove "Fix Display" and other patch which related to the graphic use the Liu I post and the latest WEG then try again.

I'm on it

Edited by databaseland
2 hours ago, databaseland said:

Lilu 1.3.8 - 1.3.9 doesnt show at https://github.com/acidanthera/Lilu/releases

weg 1.3.3 - again I cannot find the latest version (1.3.4 on the interwebs) https://github.com/acidanthera/WhateverGreen/releases

They are not released yet, but you can compile yourself with xcode from the source.

If you don't have xcode or you are not able to compile them you can download the attached kexts I compiled.

These are compiled right now at the time of writing (29 October 2019 - 15:12 GMT)

When lilu works with kvm (v. 1.3.9) you should not need anymore any patch in clover for your video card.

WhateverGreen-unoff-1.3.4.kext.zip Lilu.kext-unoff-1.3.9.zip

Edited by ghost82