**VIDEO GUIDE** How to Install MacOS Mojave or High Sierra as a VM

SpaceInvaderOne

How is the  Zotac 2GB GT 710 working out for you? I was thinking of picking one up so i can finally start my project

So far so good! :) No video issues with it at all. Boots every time, and has been running without problems for a week straight. Only thing I haven't tested is audio. My monitor does not support HDMI, so I'm not sure how the audio functions on it.

That said, I have purchased an hdmi matrix that splits the hdmi audio out and will hopefully prove to be a solution to macOS audio. I've tried external usb cards (dongles), and they work great on my WInodws 10 VM, but I cannot get them functioning in Sierra...

It doesn't benchmark very well, from a gaming perspective, but if you're just looking for Office and design use, I think it's a great choice... :)

How is the  Zotac 2GB GT 710 working out for you? I was thinking of picking one up so i can finally start my project

So far so good! :) No video issues with it at all. Boots every time, and has been running without problems for a week straight. Only thing I haven't tested is audio. My monitor does not support HDMI, so I'm not sure how the audio functions on it.

That said, I have purchased an hdmi matrix that splits the hdmi audio out and will hopefully prove to be a solution to macOS audio. I've tried external usb cards (dongles), and they work great on my WInodws 10 VM, but I cannot get them functioning in Sierra...

It doesn't benchmark very well, from a gaming perspective, but if you're just looking for Office and design use, I think it's a great choice... :)

Awesome! thanks for the info! yea, I don't care about gaming. Just looking to sell my iMac and use this as my desktop machine for general stuff!

Awesome! thanks for the info! yea, I don't care about gaming. Just looking to sell my iMac and use this as my desktop machine for general stuff!

I run 2 zotac gt 710 and 1 msi gt 730 cards. All have worked out of the box for video. All run audio with the hdmi kext added. They are very inexpensive good choices for basic computing and very light gaming (like roblox, but with some image tearing here and there.)

I run 2 zotac gt 710 and 1 msi gt 730 cards. All have worked out of the box for video. All run audio with the hdmi kext added. They are very inexpensive good choices for basic computing and very light gaming (like roblox, but with some image tearing here and there.)

I haven't watched the video yet but is it mentioned in the video or somewhere here how to add the hdmi kext, and which one to get?  I used to build hackintosh's but its been a few years.

Thanks!

I haven't watched the video yet but is it mentioned in the video or somewhere here how to add the hdmi kext, and which one to get?  I used to build hackintosh's but its been a few years.

Thanks!

+1! Not sure which kext. Please expand :-)

I upgraded to 6.3RC6 and now my sierra VM is running at half the speed that it was before, very strange!

I did not change a thing, same UEFI clover boot loader. VM boots fine, OSX is usable but very slow.

I have another install using UEFI and enoch boot loader and this is fine, full speed.

any ideas?

Thanks!

+1! Not sure which kext. Please expand :-)

nvidia (and maybe others?) hdmi audio

you need: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/248599/HDMIAudio-1.0.dmg

note: as with all downloads, be vigilant. this link come from https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/clover-hdmi-audio-for-nvidia-amd-cards-easy-way.145399/ and is probably fine.

then:

its a dmg file so mount it

then run in terminal

cd /Volumes/HDMIAudio

then

./install.sh

that should install it correctly.

has worked on 3 nvidia cards for me, after I was pointed in the right direction

I upgraded to 6.3RC6 and now my sierra VM is running at half the speed that it was before, very strange!

I did not change a thing, same UEFI clover boot loader. VM boots fine, OSX is usable but very slow.

I have another install using UEFI and enoch boot loader and this is fine, full speed.

any ideas?

downgrade to 6.2.4

any ideas?

downgrade to 6.2.4

And that solves what exactly? 6.3 uses 6.2 ovmf as far as I know.

any ideas?

downgrade to 6.2.4

And that solves what exactly? 6.3 uses 6.2 ovmf as far as I know.

it solves making you vm working again and eliminates all the other things in the release client that you don't know about that could be causing the issue.  :P

Do we still need to use the patched clover bootloader or is the latest clover version patched for use with QEMU?

Se my comments here

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/309087-insanely-fast-virtual-mac-qemu-ovmf-clover-and-native-graphics/page-23#entry2338923

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Unfortunately it did not work out for me: crumbling sound, and felt a bit slower, ...

Edit

Used the "newer" patched clover version mentioned in the insanelymac link without issues. Thanks for pointing to that!

Do we still need to use the patched clover bootloader or is the latest clover version patched for use with QEMU?

Se my comments here

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/309087-insanely-fast-virtual-mac-qemu-ovmf-clover-and-native-graphics/page-23#entry2338923

Unfortunately it did not work out for me: crumbling sound, and felt a bit slower, ...

Edit

Used the "newer" patched clover version mentioned in the insanelymac link without issues. Thanks for pointing to that!

Did you try isolcpus ?

I am isolating cpu's and stubbing an usb pcie card in the syslinux:

append pcie_acs_override=downstream vfio-pci.ids=1b73:1100 isolcpus=2,3,6,7 initrd=/bzroot

I didn't change any clover or xml settings. XML basically comes from Gridrunner's video (Penryn, etc...). Added emulatorpin: <emulatorpin cpuset='1,5'/> and an usb, gpu passthrough to the XML

<vcpu placement='static'>4</vcpu>

<cputune>

<vcpupin vcpu='0' cpuset='2'/>

<vcpupin vcpu='1' cpuset='3'/>

<vcpupin vcpu='2' cpuset='6'/>

<vcpupin vcpu='3' cpuset='7'/>

<emulatorpin cpuset='1,5'/>

</cputune>

It works fine with the patched file, but doesn't if i use the regular clover file.

I am isolating cpu's and stubbing an usb pcie card in the syslinux:

append pcie_acs_override=downstream vfio-pci.ids=1b73:1100 isolcpus=2,3,6,7 initrd=/bzroot

I didn't change any clover or xml settings. XML basically comes from Gridrunner's video (Penryn, etc...). Added emulatorpin: <emulatorpin cpuset='1,5'/> and an usb, gpu passthrough to the XML

<vcpu placement='static'>4</vcpu>

<cputune>

<vcpupin vcpu='0' cpuset='2'/>

<vcpupin vcpu='1' cpuset='3'/>

<vcpupin vcpu='2' cpuset='6'/>

<vcpupin vcpu='3' cpuset='7'/>

<emulatorpin cpuset='1,5'/>

</cputune>

It works fine with the patched file, but doesn't if i use the regular clover file.

This is the same issue for me, fixed by using the patched clover. Mind you, this only happens when on 6.3rc6.

gridrunner:

Thanks a ton for your work. I've been able to get Xcode installed on 10.12.2 which is my bare minimum to compile what I need for my work, so now I don't have to use my underspecced MacBook Air anymore.

I have one issue (which I can easily rollback with a qemu snapshot, but I still want to resolve): I'm trying to update Clover to maybe get FileVault2 working (since that's something supported later than the version you give us in your "sierra kvm unraid" folder.) I downloaded the latest clover pkg installer, hit continue up until I could hit "customize", then I set the settings per the image below (only checking "Install for UEFI booting only" and "Install Clover in the ESP".

VH1h0Z.png

Everything seems to boot fine, the bootloader shows the new version number (3961), but now lots of things are in "slow motion". For example, if I right click the desktop and then unclick the context menu, it fades out veeeeeery slowly. Most transition effects like that are unbearably slow. Not sure how else to describe it.

In advance of questions, I used kdiff3 to compare the EFI partition contents to the "EFI" folder you give us in your "sierra kvm unraid" package to show the difference. Below is the diff of file contents (+ for added, - for removed, U for updated):

+ EFI/CLOVER/drivers32/FSInject-32.efi
+ EFI/CLOVER/drivers32/Ps2MouseAbsolutePointerDxe-32.efi

+ EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/AppleImageCodec-64.efi
+ EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/AppleKeyAggregator-64.efi
+ EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/AppleUITheme-64.efi
U EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/DataHubDxe-64.efi
+ EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/FirmwareVolume-64.efi
U EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/FSInject-64.efi
U EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/OsxFatBinaryDrv-64.efi
+ EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/SMCHelper-64.efi

U EFI/CLOVER/tools/bdmesg.efi
U EFI/CLOVER/tools/Shell64U.efi

U EFI/CLOVER/CLOVERX64.efi

Did I do something wrong? Can I roll back one or remove some of those files (since I am assuming maybe you had a special patched version in your pack)? Is this a known issue in r3961?

Is there more information I can provide to help diagnose this? My XML file hasn't changed, but perhaps there's a Clover or macOS bootlog  that I can provide a before and after copy of?

Has anyone successfully updated Clover to a newer version than what's in the "sierra kvm unraid" EFI folder?

Thanks again!

EDIT: I guess one more thing; I'm only using VNC to use the system at this point, so no unique hardware constraints AFAIK.

EDIT2: Following the rabbit hole of this thread, still no luck though. I did notice if I untoggle the QEMU setting under Clover Configurator -> CPU that the machine now runs at super speed (unusable) instead of slow motion (slightly usable), so the issue must be related.

gridrunner:

Thanks a ton for your work. I've been able to get Xcode installed on 10.12.2 which is my bare minimum to compile what I need for my work, so now I don't have to use my underspecced MacBook Air anymore.

I have one issue (which I can easily rollback with a qemu snapshot, but I still want to resolve): I'm trying to update Clover to maybe get FileVault2 working (since that's something supported later than the version you give us in your "sierra kvm unraid" folder.) I downloaded the latest clover pkg installer, hit continue up until I could hit "customize", then I set the settings per the image below (only checking "Install for UEFI booting only" and "Install Clover in the ESP".

VH1h0Z.png

Everything seems to boot fine, the bootloader shows the new version number (3961), but now lots of things are in "slow motion". For example, if I right click the desktop and then unclick the context menu, it fades out veeeeeery slowly. Most transition effects like that are unbearably slow. Not sure how else to describe it.

In advance of questions, I used kdiff3 to compare the EFI partition contents to the "EFI" folder you give us in your "sierra kvm unraid" package to show the difference. Below is the diff of file contents (+ for added, - for removed, U for updated):

+ EFI/CLOVER/drivers32/FSInject-32.efi
+ EFI/CLOVER/drivers32/Ps2MouseAbsolutePointerDxe-32.efi

+ EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/AppleImageCodec-64.efi
+ EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/AppleKeyAggregator-64.efi
+ EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/AppleUITheme-64.efi
U EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/DataHubDxe-64.efi
+ EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/FirmwareVolume-64.efi
U EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/FSInject-64.efi
U EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/OsxFatBinaryDrv-64.efi
+ EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/SMCHelper-64.efi

U EFI/CLOVER/tools/bdmesg.efi
U EFI/CLOVER/tools/Shell64U.efi

U EFI/CLOVER/CLOVERX64.efi

Did I do something wrong? Can I roll back one or remove some of those files (since I am assuming maybe you had a special patched version in your pack)? Is this a known issue in r3961?

Is there more information I can provide to help diagnose this? My XML file hasn't changed, but perhaps there's a Clover or macOS bootlog  that I can provide a before and after copy of?

Has anyone successfully updated Clover to a newer version than what's in the "sierra kvm unraid" EFI folder?

Thanks again!

EDIT: I guess one more thing; I'm only using VNC to use the system at this point, so no unique hardware constraints AFAIK.

EDIT2: Following the rabbit hole of this thread, still no luck though. I did notice if I untoggle the QEMU setting under Clover Configurator -> CPU that the machine now runs at super speed (unusable) instead of slow motion (slightly usable), so the issue must be related.

So I've given up on fixing this and rolled back to the Clover version gridrunner supplies in his YouTube videos. I tried isolcpus, pinning CPUs and EmulatorPins per the thread I linked in EDIT2 but no luck there with QEMU enabled or off in the Clover settings. Will keep an eye out for other solutions posted here or elsewhere; the only other success I've seen from others in the thread are manually patching and building Clover, which is a bit more work than I'd want to tackle. I assume this is something gridrunner did to the files in the  "EFI" folder?

how do you change the resolution?

Hello, WiFivomFranMan. Please do the following steps

1.    Start VM normally. Change the resolution of settings with either clover configurator or manually edit the config.plist file to resolution you want( eg 1920 x 1080)

2.    Reboot the VM but stop on the clover boot loader (don't let it boot sierra)

3.    Choose restart computer on clover screen

4.    As it restarts press delete to enter ovmf setup. (if using a mac either connect a USB keyboard) as mac,  backspace will not work.Or on mac hold down the “fn” (function) key then press the “delete” key)

5.    Now you will be in config/bios screen of the ovmf

6.    Go through the options and change resolution here to match what you did in step 1 by going to "device manager" then "ovmf platform configuration"

7.    save settings and restart and boot to osx

Now you will have the resolution you want.?

Now that I am booted into OS X, I enabled the built-in VNC client.  It is running at 800x600 though.

Is the splashtop free?

Yes, Splashtop is free for use in your own network with the personal version. If you want to use remotely (in another location then pay a small amount http://www.splashtop.com/personal