**VIDEO GUIDE** How to Install MacOS Mojave or High Sierra as a VM

SpaceInvaderOne

1 hour ago, david279 said:

Just checked my installer. I should have all the efi needed.

Here are the efi files I have:

• AppleImageCodec-64.efi
  • AppleKeyAggregator-64.efi
  • AppleUITheme-64.efi
  • DataHubDxe-64.efi
  • FirmwareVolume-64.efi
  • FSInject-64.efi
  • OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi
  • OsxFatBinaryDrv-64.efi
  • PartitionDxe-64.efi
  • SMCHelper-64.efi
  • VBoxHfs-64.efi
  • apfs.efi
  • HFSPlus.efi
5 hours ago, david279 said:

This is mine. Looks like the VboxHfs-64.efi and HFSPlus.efi maybe conflicting with each other. 

108842314_EFIdriver64.jpeg.1e542d42384eb1a307cbf2c73a5da37d.jpeg

Just a little update, I removed some of the efi to see if there is a conflict, but they all have the same result, no volume in the boot manager. Any help would be very much appreciated. 

(I dont have the OsxAptioFix3Drv-64.efi right now, will try it out soon)

1st

2nd

3rd

AppleImageCodec-64.efi

AppleKeyAggregator-64.efi

AppleUITheme-64.efi

DataHubDxe-64.efi

FirmwareVolume-64.efi

FSInject-64.efi

OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi

OsxFatBinaryDrv-64.efi

PartitionDxe-64.efi

SMCHelper-64.efi

VBoxHfs-64.efi

apfs.efi

HFSPlus.efi

22 hours ago, windlok1010 said:

By using clover from https://github.com/Dids/clover-builder, I was able to see the volume in clover boot manager. However the system reboot every time the progress bar is around 50% completed. Tried multiple versions with different / same efi files.

Any idea why?

Here is the boot screen. Tried to install NullIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext by putting it in the EFI/CLOVER/Kext/10.13/. Same error though. 

Did someone manage by any chance to get a 6 core high sierra vm working? My 4 core vm runs absolutely fine, so I’ve tried to install high sierra using 6 cores and SMBios settings for different Mac Pro models and also the iMac Pro, but the vm always reboots after displaying the Apple logo for about 2sec. Funny thing I’ve also tried 8 cores, which seems to be fine. I’ve just booted into the setup, but didn’t do an install yet. Even the latest Mac Pro SMBios booted into the setup, but only with 8 cores enabled even though you can buy one with just 6. I „only“ have 8 cores in my machine, so 6 would be a sweet spot in my case.

15 hours ago, lixe said:

Did someone manage by any chance to get a 6 core high sierra vm working? My 4 core vm runs absolutely fine, so I’ve tried to install high sierra using 6 cores and SMBios settings for different Mac Pro models and also the iMac Pro, but the vm always reboots after displaying the Apple logo for about 2sec. Funny thing I’ve also tried 8 cores, which seems to be fine. I’ve just booted into the setup, but didn’t do an install yet. Even the latest Mac Pro SMBios booted into the setup, but only with 8 cores enabled even though you can buy one with just 6. I „only“ have 8 cores in my machine, so 6 would be a sweet spot in my case.

remove your topology and you can use anything you want up to 64 cores.

On 6/9/2018 at 1:02 PM, lixe said:

I seem to recall that someone was able to passthrough a single RX 580 GPU? Just selecting it in the vm setup brings a black picture and this error in the logs:

2018-06-09T12:01:20.045524Z qemu-system-x86_64: -device vfio-pci,host=09:00.0,id=hostdev0,bus=pci.0,addr=0x5: Failed to mmap 0000:09:00.0 BAR 0. Performance may be slow

After that I downloaded the vbios from techpowerup, now I get this (plenty of times):

2018-06-09T11:57:01.803852Z qemu-system-x86_64: vfio_region_write(0000:09:00.0:region0+0x13168, 0x0,8) failed: Device or resource busy

The monitor just says "Graphic Console" or something like that.

I've also tried a windows vm and its exactly the same...

PS of course my IOMMU groups are absolutely fine.

EDIT: had to disable UEFI boot and use Legacy instead, found it by chance in an other topic. So now without vbios file -> no picture, with vbios file -> I get a picture! But with serious display errors, both in win and mac.

I had an RX480 which is very similar and it worked fine without any graphical artifacts. The biggest issue though was the reset bug with AMD cards. If you reboot the VM then the card doesn't re-initialize properly and you have to hard reset the host. It was a complete PITA. There are work arounds when using Windows VMs which involve using startup and shutdown scripts to try to get the card to reset correctly but I ever got them to work. Whatever small issues I had with Nvidia before that were nowhere near as annoying so I switched back to a 1060.

On 6/14/2018 at 2:40 AM, 1812 said:

remove your topology and you can use anything you want up to 64 cores.

If i remove the topology, my Mac vm starts with 6 cores just fine, but will only use 4 of them (SMBios iMac14,2). I’ve also started an installation with SMBios MacPro6,1, and it seems all 6 cores are being used then. Will do some tests over the weekend

45 minutes ago, planetwilson said:

I had an RX480 which is very similar and it worked fine without any graphical artifacts. The biggest issue though was the reset bug with AMD cards. If you reboot the VM then the card doesn't re-initialize properly and you have to hard reset the host. It was a complete PITA. There are work arounds when using Windows VMs which involve using startup and shutdown scripts to try to get the card to reset correctly but I ever got them to work. Whatever small issues I had with Nvidia before that were nowhere near as annoying so I switched back to a 1060.

Yes, that sounds pretty annoying! I’ve returned my 580 and got an Sapphire HD7950 3GB for 75€ second hand, which works absolutely fine just oob and has enough power for me right now. But if I shutdown my vm, unRAID won’t use the GPU anymore for console/gui. Also happens when starting and shutting down my windows vm, guess that’s normal?

Edited by lixe
5 hours ago, lixe said:

If i remove the topology, my Mac vm starts with 6 cores just fine, but will only use 4 of them (SMBios iMac14,2). I’ve also started an installation with SMBios MacPro6,1, and it seems all 6 cores are being used then. Will do some tests over the weekend

Yes, that sounds pretty annoying! I’ve returned my 580 and got an Sapphire HD7950 3GB for 75€ second hand, which works absolutely fine just oob and has enough power for me right now. But if I shutdown my vm, unRAID won’t use the GPU anymore for console/gui. Also happens when starting and shutting down my windows vm, guess that’s normal?

I'm on 14,2

When you're changing core assignments, are you also changing vcpu static placement to match the number of cores assigned?

3 hours ago, 1812 said:

I'm on 14,2

When you're changing core assignments, are you also changing vcpu static placement to match the number of cores assigned?

Haha, you’re good ;) I figuered it out an hour ago and just wanted to tell you, that I did a mistake and everything is working absolutely fine now, thanks!

• Like 1

There’s one minor thing I didn’t get working yet. For my Sapphire HD7950 Dual X doesn’t any UEFI-able vbios exist, so I’m not able to see the boot screen, when starting the vm. But I’ve just found out that the HD7950 is identical to the R9 280. And for the R9 280 I was able to download two UEFI-able vbios. If I start the vm with one of these attached I will see the boot screen and also clover. But one of them did crash my whole machine and the other didn’t show the macOS after the boot. I’m running my machine on a 4K monitor and also got some display errors when the apple logo appeared. So I tried an old 1080p monitor, the apple logo was fine then, but the macOS wouldn't show up anyway.

Is there something else I have to do or will it just not work?

Looking for some insight here. I've got OSX 10.13.5 running in a VM with GTX 970, USB, and onboard Bluetooth passed through and working. I'm having trouble getting USB hubs to work though. Plugging devices directly into the USB ports on the board works fine, but when I connect the USB hub on my monitor anything I plug into it doesn't get passed through. The monitor USB hub works fine when connected to passed through ports on my Windows VMs. I know there are Clover patches for regular hackintosh's to expand the mount of USB connections but so far I haven't been able to get those to work. Any thoughts?

Looking for some insight here. I've got OSX 10.13.5 running in a VM with GTX 970, USB, and onboard Bluetooth passed through and working. I'm having trouble getting USB hubs to work though. Plugging devices directly into the USB ports on the board works fine, but when I connect the USB hub on my monitor anything I plug into it doesn't get passed through. The monitor USB hub works fine when connected to passed through ports on my Windows VMs. I know there are Clover patches for regular hackintosh's to expand the mount of USB connections but so far I haven't been able to get those to work. Any thoughts?

My guess is that OS 10.13 doesn’t support some older usb hubs that the older mac versions did. I have an older hub that worked just fine on all the past OS X versions up until 10.13. I ended up buying a new one that specifically said it supports OS X and it worked like you would expect.
9 hours ago, archedraft said:

My guess is that OS 10.13 doesn’t support some older usb hubs that the older mac versions did. I have an older hub that worked just fine on all the past OS X versions up until 10.13. I ended up buying a new one that specifically said it supports OS X and it worked like you would expect.

I neglected to mention that when I connect the USB hub on my monitor to my 2010 Macbook, also running 10.13.5, it works just fine.

• 2 weeks later...

I am unable to upgrade from 10.13.2 to 10.13.5. 

I have achieved the following

While attempting upgrade, only running the osx video drivers with a gtx 710 (natively supported) which hangs on reboot (stops partway on progress bar) The problem was that on first reboot, it was going to the preboot installer or somehing and not installer for the hdd name. manually switched it and it went fine.

attempted to update clover first from 4330 to 486, which results in just an apple only on the screen - this problem still exists.

Any hints/help?

Edited by 1812
On 7/5/2018 at 8:51 PM, 1812 said:

I am unable to upgrade from 10.13.2 to 10.13.5. 

in my case it doesn't even upgrade.  it went into reboot loop.  nothing I choose in the clover boot screen helps.  it just reboots

wouldn't want to go into reinstall allover again.   If anyone has any suggestions how to save the VM ??

EDIT: Solved. Turns out you have to press ESC to get into the BIOS menu, not DEL. @gridrunner says to press DEL at 09:10 in the video. Maybe this changed recently?? I feel dumb.

------

Just started a High Sierra install and I'm stuck on the Clover boot screen because I can't get into the BIOS -- it appears that my keyboard isn't working until it boots into Clover. (So that makes the OS install basically impossible because I can't set the resolution in the BIOS and it glitches really badly).

My keyboard does work once I'm in Clover, but not before that.

When booting, if I press DEL or F12 (or any other key) nothing happens until Clover fully loads. Any ideas what to check first?

<domain type='kvm' xmlns:qemu='http://libvirt.org/schemas/domain/qemu/1.0'>
  <name>MacOS</name>
  <uuid>removed</uuid>
  <metadata>
    <vmtemplate xmlns="unraid" name="Linux" icon="default.png" os="linux"/>
  </metadata>
  <memory unit='KiB'>8388608</memory>
  <currentMemory unit='KiB'>8388608</currentMemory>
  <memoryBacking>
    <nosharepages/>
  </memoryBacking>
  <vcpu placement='static'>4</vcpu>
  <cputune>
    <vcpupin vcpu='0' cpuset='2'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='1' cpuset='6'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='2' cpuset='3'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='3' cpuset='7'/>
  </cputune>
  <os>
    <type arch='x86_64' machine='pc-q35-2.10'>hvm</type>
    <loader readonly='yes' type='pflash'>/usr/share/qemu/ovmf-x64/OVMF_CODE-pure-efi.fd</loader>
    <nvram>/etc/libvirt/qemu/nvram/75ad7121-5404-ac64-3c06-acebbe863708_VARS-pure-efi.fd</nvram>
  </os>
  <features>
    <acpi/>
    <apic/>
  </features>
  <cpu mode='host-passthrough' check='none'>
    <topology sockets='1' cores='4' threads='1'/>
  </cpu>
  <clock offset='utc'>
    <timer name='rtc' tickpolicy='catchup'/>
    <timer name='pit' tickpolicy='delay'/>
    <timer name='hpet' present='no'/>
  </clock>
  <on_poweroff>destroy</on_poweroff>
  <on_reboot>restart</on_reboot>
  <on_crash>restart</on_crash>
  <devices>
    <emulator>/usr/local/sbin/qemu</emulator>
    <disk type='file' device='disk'>
      <driver name='qemu' type='raw' cache='writeback'/>
      <source file='/mnt/user/domains/MacOS/highsierra.img'/>
      <target dev='hdc' bus='sata'/>
      <boot order='1'/>
      <address type='drive' controller='0' bus='0' target='0' unit='2'/>
    </disk>
    <disk type='file' device='disk'>
      <driver name='qemu' type='raw' cache='writeback'/>
      <source file='/mnt/user/domains/MacOS/vdisk2.img'/>
      <target dev='hdd' bus='sata'/>
      <address type='drive' controller='0' bus='0' target='0' unit='3'/>
    </disk>
    <controller type='usb' index='0' model='ich9-ehci1'>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x07' function='0x7'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='usb' index='0' model='ich9-uhci1'>
      <master startport='0'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x07' function='0x0' multifunction='on'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='usb' index='0' model='ich9-uhci2'>
      <master startport='2'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x07' function='0x1'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='usb' index='0' model='ich9-uhci3'>
      <master startport='4'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x07' function='0x2'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='sata' index='0'>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x1f' function='0x2'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='0' model='pcie-root'/>
    <controller type='pci' index='1' model='pcie-root-port'>
      <model name='pcie-root-port'/>
      <target chassis='1' port='0x10'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x02' function='0x0' multifunction='on'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='2' model='pcie-root-port'>
      <target chassis='2' port='0x11'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x02' function='0x1'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='3' model='pcie-root-port'>
      <target chassis='3' port='0x12'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x02' function='0x2'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='4' model='pcie-root-port'>
      <target chassis='4' port='0x13'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x02' function='0x3'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='virtio-serial' index='0'>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x01' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
    </controller>
    <interface type='bridge'>
      <mac address='52:54:00:4e:b9:7a'/>
      <source bridge='br0'/>
      <model type='e1000-82545em'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x02' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
    </interface>
    <serial type='pty'>
      <target port='0'/>
    </serial>
    <console type='pty'>
      <target type='serial' port='0'/>
    </console>
    <channel type='unix'>
      <target type='virtio' name='org.qemu.guest_agent.0'/>
      <address type='virtio-serial' controller='0' bus='0' port='1'/>
    </channel>
    <input type='tablet' bus='usb'>
      <address type='usb' bus='0' port='1'/>
    </input>
    <input type='mouse' bus='ps2'/>
    <input type='keyboard' bus='ps2'/>
    <graphics type='vnc' port='-1' autoport='yes' websocket='-1' listen='0.0.0.0' keymap='en-us'>
      <listen type='address' address='0.0.0.0'/>
    </graphics>
    <video>
      <model type='qxl' ram='65536' vram='65536' vgamem='16384' heads='1' primary='yes'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x01' function='0x0'/>
    </video>
    <memballoon model='virtio'>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x03' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
    </memballoon>
  </devices>
  <qemu:commandline>
    <qemu:arg value='-usb'/>
    <qemu:arg value='-device'/>
    <qemu:arg value='usb-mouse,bus=usb-bus.0'/>
    <qemu:arg value='-device'/>
    <qemu:arg value='usb-kbd,bus=usb-bus.0'/>
    <qemu:arg value='-smbios'/>
    <qemu:arg value='type=2'/>
    <qemu:arg value='-cpu'/>
    <qemu:arg value='Penryn,vendor=GenuineIntel,kvm=on,+invtsc,vmware-cpuid-freq=on,'/>
  </qemu:commandline>
</domain>

HrgnMWF.png

Edited by scud133b
On 7/7/2018 at 8:40 PM, 1812 said:

and another question: who is on 10.13.5 with hdmi audio on an nvida card? What did you do to get it? I've tried a couple solutions but they haven't worked. Please let me know!

I've got 10.13.5 working with GTX 970 HDMI Audio. Using the following kexts and current NVIDIA web drivers:

FakePCIID_NVIDIA_HDAU.kext

HDMIAudio.kext

NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext

Not sure what's doing what,  things just worked after I added them.

1 hour ago, jspence27 said:

I've got 10.13.5 working with GTX 970 HDMI Audio. Using the following kexts and current NVIDIA web drivers:

FakePCIID_NVIDIA_HDAU.kext

HDMIAudio.kext

NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext

Not sure what's doing what,  things just worked after I added them.

Thanks for the followup, i'll give that combo  try!