[Solved] Will an Intel DG33FB Motherboard Work?

I am new to unraid and would like to use existing hardware if possible.  I have an Intel DG33FB motherboard with a 3 GHZ E6850 core2 duo processor.  This isn't in the supported motherboards wiki.  Does anyone have any experience or opinions on whether this should work or not?  It uses the ICH9DH southbridge.  In the wiki I saw support for some ICH9R boards but nothing for ICH9DH.

http://www.intel.com/Products/Desktop/Motherboards/DG33FB/DG33FB-overview.htm

thanks,

Murray

In general Intel products work pretty well, short of something being wrong with the component itself.  Intel NIC's are usually recommended as the drivers usually are the most reliable.

If you can prep a flash drive and install the free version of unRAID a simple boot will tell you if everything has come online properly.

In general Intel products work pretty well, short of something being wrong with the component itself.  Intel NIC's are usually recommended as the drivers usually are the most reliable.

If you can prep a flash drive and install the free version of unRAID a simple boot will tell you if everything has come online properly.

Is there anything that I should look for when it boots up or just that it boots up and recognizes the drives would mean that it would most likely work?  Also, I think from reading other posts that this would be perfectly safe as far as not disturbing my current OS and data drives as long as I didn't tell it to create a raid or something like that -- correct?  Because I need to build a new machine to handle the automation stuff, save the existing data and to add HTPC capabilities before I repurpose this machine as an unraid server.

thanks,

Murray

As long as you don't assign drives and mess with the stuff from there you should be ok.  I would check that you can bring up the webGUI which proves the NIC is at least working.  Also see that the NIC is connecting as full speed and take a look at the syslog (or post it up here for someone to take a quick look at).

As long as you don't assign drives and mess with the stuff from there you should be ok.  I would check that you can bring up the webGUI which proves the NIC is at least working.  Also see that the NIC is connecting as full speed and take a look at the syslog (or post it up here for someone to take a quick look at).

You can look to see if the drives appear in the drop-down-list on the devices page, but do not assign them.  And definitely do not start the array if you do assign any.

You could unplug your existing drives (to keep them safe) and plug in any old disk drive you have laying around on one of the connectors and then you can assign it as a data drive and start the array.  You don't need to assign a parity drive, but you'll be able to format the data drive if you wish and look at it through the lan.  As I said, make sure you disconnect the existing drives to ensure you don't mess with your existing array.