Unknown files on flash

wgstarks

As he said, those are recovered files, found by an fsck tool.  The dates were not recovered, so they are the zero dates, which for Windows and DOS has always been January 1, 1980 (1980-01-01).  Your dates are the zero date minus one.  I've seen the same on other fsck recoveries, when FAT file system.

Thanks for the info. So it's safe to just delete them? None seem to have any content AFAIK.

Why don't you first try to open each one of them with a Linux/Windows aware editor and see what they contain.  If everything seems to work, I would almost suspect that they are old syslog files.  If that is the case, the real question is:  How did they become corrupted? 

Thanks for the info. So it's safe to just delete them? None seem to have any content AFAIK.

Completely safe to delete them, so long as you are positive they weren't something you wanted.  As Frank said, always wise to inspect them first, before deleting them.  They are files or pieces of files you used to have, possibly even files you deleted.

Recovered files like this are generally because of file system corruption, not because the files became corrupted.  It could be simply because the flash drive was updated, and then quickly pulled from the machine, without an appropriate Eject (Safe Removal of removable drive).  Or it could have been after a system crash, shortly after writes to the flash drive.  For whatever reason, the file system on the flash drive was not able to complete its 'housekeeping' and close up the file system structures.

I thought I checked them all last night. Shouldn't be working on this stuff when I'm sick. Missed one. Glad I didn't decide to just delete them all then.

#smb local master configuration
[global]
domain master = yes
  	preferred master = yes
   	os level = 255
#exclude_Apple_DS_files_start
veto files = /._*/.DS_Store/
#exclude_Apple_DS_files_end
#vfs_recycle_start
#Recycle bin configuration
[global]
   vfs objects = extd_audit recycle
   syslog only = No
   log level = 0 vfs:0
   recycle:repository = %P/.Recycle.Bin/
   recycle:directory_mode = 0777
   recycle:keeptree = Yes
   recycle:touch = Yes
   recycle:touch_mtime = Yes
   recycle:versions = Yes
   recycle:exclude = *.tmp
   recycle:exclude_dir = .Recycle.Bin
#vfs_recycle_end

I know this is the smb configuration file, but can't remember the exact name or proper location so I can put it back. Would also appreciate the command to restart smb.

I thought I checked them all last night. Shouldn't be working on this stuff when I'm sick. Missed one. Glad I didn't decide to just delete them all then.

#smb local master configuration
[global]
domain master = yes
  	preferred master = yes
   	os level = 255
#exclude_Apple_DS_files_start
veto files = /._*/.DS_Store/
#exclude_Apple_DS_files_end
#vfs_recycle_start
#Recycle bin configuration
[global]
   vfs objects = extd_audit recycle
   syslog only = No
   log level = 0 vfs:0
   recycle:repository = %P/.Recycle.Bin/
   recycle:directory_mode = 0777
   recycle:keeptree = Yes
   recycle:touch = Yes
   recycle:touch_mtime = Yes
   recycle:versions = Yes
   recycle:exclude = *.tmp
   recycle:exclude_dir = .Recycle.Bin
#vfs_recycle_end

I know this is the smb configuration file, but can't remember the exact name or proper location so I can put it back. Would also appreciate the command to restart smb.

smb-extra.conf    and it is the config folder

And I think you can restart samba by stopping and restarting the array.

As Frank said, that is config/smb-extra.conf.  Before renaming it and copying it to the config folder, check to see if one is there already, and if so, compare them.  The Recycle Bin plugin will recreate the smb-extra.conf, if it's not found, and put the recycle bin entries in.  If it's there but doesn't have your Apple items, then copy this one over the the one that is there now.

If everything is working now, I would make a backup of your Flash Drive.  You can do this by stopping the array and copying the entire contents of the drive back to one of your other computers.  You want to make a new backup whenever you make a change in the configuration of your server--- either hardware or software.  I, personally, would do this BEFORE I removed those extra 'lost-and-found' files.  You might find that another one of them might be useful...