How to change the screen resolution of v6.2 GUI

TheWombat

• 2 months later...

Seems like it can be changed using "xrandr" in terminal, but unfortunately for me I'm stuck at 1280x1024 as the max setting. I guess I would need the Radeon drivers for my HD 6950 GPU.

root@Tower:~# xrandr 
xrandr: Failed to get size of gamma for output default
Screen 0: minimum 640 x 400, current 1280 x 1024, maximum 1280 x 1024
default connected 1280x1024+0+0 0mm x 0mm
   1280x1024      0.00* 
   1152x864       0.00  
   1024x768       0.00  
   800x600        0.00  
   640x480        0.00  
   720x400        0.00  
root@Tower:~# xrandr --output default --mode 1920x1080
xrandr: cannot find mode 1920x1080
root@Tower:~# xrandr --output default --mode 1152x864 
root@Tower:~# xrandr --output default --mode 1280x1024

I've also tried following instructions from this page but it didn't work either : http://askubuntu.com/questions/377937/how-to-set-a-custom-resolution

root@Tower:~# xrandr --output default --mode 1920x1080
xrandr: Configure crtc 0 failed

• 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Bump.

I have a Geforce 710 hooked up to a 4k TV and my GUI is running at 1024x768, which looks like crap. I have to zoom out in the browser to fit everything on the screen and the text ends up too small and horribly pixelated.

It's far more convenient for me to mess with the web GUIs for my various Dockers through the unRAID GUI than it is on my phone (in the market for a new laptop), so I'd like to make it usable.

xrandr lists the available resolutions as 640x480, 800x600, and 1024x768.

I was able to add a custom resolution following directions I found here, but can't switch to it. I just get a "Failed to change the screen configuration" error message. I've tried 1920x1080@60hz and @30hz with the same results.

I went so far as to reboot into non-GUI mode and try to install the Linux drivers for my card (after using the devpack plugin to install things like gcc) but it wants kernel source files that I don't have (I think I'd need a kernel-devel package?). I'm highly doubting that even if I got drivers installed that they'd persist a reboot, but figured it was worth a try.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears. :-/

• 3 months later...
35 minutes ago, matador86 said:

Before i ask my question, i would sincerely apologize for my bad grammar. English is not my native language:-) My question is almost completely revealed in the Titel. I would like to know, how i could make GUI resize and reposition according to what resolution it is played in. I have already searched the forum, but either it was in JS or it was nothing a Newbie like me could understand. I should also mention, that i am not an experienced Unity user, nor programmer. My only experience is with C# and Basic Java.. so i would like if the answers wouldent be Hard-Coded, and not to complicated :-) Thanks

Are you asking about unRAID? I wonder if you are because you mention Unity, which has nothing to do with the unRAID OS.

Why don't one of you start a thread in Feature Request section of the forum and post a link to that new thread here.  Then each of you should post up your reason for wanting this feature.  I seem to recall (very vaguely) that here are a number of video resolutions/modes baked into the standard Linux package.  However, the details of how to access them completely escapes me but I remember that it was not really an easy thing to do.  To open these modes up to the more casual user will probably require some sort of interface...

EDIT:  google   set video resolution in linux command line  to see what is involved.

Edited by Frank1940
  • 8 months later...
6 hours ago, Marshalleq said:

Lime could package this all up like everyone else does.  Shouldn't be too hard.

Your "everyone else" installs to a physical device, Unraid installs to RAM. It's significantly different, and harder. Also, people are already complaining about a plain NAS needing 4GB of RAM, so Lime would need to start maintaining 2 different branches, one with all the add ons that consume tonnes of RAM, and another lightweight version for people that don't want all the fluff.

5 hours ago, jonathanm said:

...Lime would need to start maintaining 2 different branches, one with all the add ons that consume tonnes of RAM, and another lightweight version for people that don't want all the fluff.

I am not a developer, though I do have some experience in that regard, but I don't think an entirely separate branch would be necessary. Toggles to allow users to enable/disable features should be sufficient. A tool to build a custom USB image with/without features could also work*. Splitting different components into their own packages might be best so different parts can be updated independently and not even need to be downloaded by those not using them. For example, if the GUI were a separate package it could be updated without needing a full "OS update", and those not using it wouldn't need to have it installed or even download that new package when they update their system.

*But may require significant dev work to make things more modular.

12 minutes ago, gilahacker said:

A tool to build a custom USB image with/without features could also work. Splitting different components into their own packages might be best so different parts can be updated independently and not even need to be downloaded by those not using them.

This does sound kinda cool. This way people can pick and choose what they actually want to use and what they don't, thus controlling how much memory is consumed by OS. Additionally it would allow Lime Technology more flexibility with regards to licensing, like offering basic version of unRaid without support for plugins, VMs, or Docker for free. Just a thought.

18 minutes ago, gilahacker said:

may Would require significant dev work to make things more modular.

FTFY.

If limetech had more dev time available, this would be a nice addition as it is right now. However, the LONG backlog of features and additions already in the request pipeline is slowly coming to be with each new version. Adding modular loading would necessitate testing EACH and EVERY different possible combination for conflicts and compatibility. The core NAS function can't afford a slip up with an add on module causing data loss.

I'm afraid the amount of complexity it would add would significantly slow down the already sedate release cycle. I don't want to go back to the days of new releases happening every couple of years.

This thread has lost the intent of the original post. We are talking about adding a setting to change the resolution of an EXISTING feature, not a new feature.

It’s basically a couple of text files with the potential addition of the relevant display driver, which should already have been included given the existing feature is a GUI and these low resolutions went out back with VGA CRT screens about 15 years ago.

I don’t think we need to start worrying about memory and dev time and such, their product owner will decide the value of it based on community interest and difficulty to implement. It’s certainly not going to result in going back to 2 yearly release cycles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
8 hours ago, The_Immortal said:

So, till now is there a way to change resolution somehow under 6.6.x version?

If you have an nvidia card, using the nvidia docker plugin will give you full resolution back, haven't tested whether it can be changed... but driver is there so it "should" support it.

On my test rig I had a 4K GUI 

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, The_Immortal said:

Well, my mini-pc doesn't allow to use external video card so I can only use video form CPU (Intel 4-th gen).

No way to get the drivers for my case?

You can, of course, access the Unraid webUI from any web browser on another computer that has more resolution, even a VM running on Unraid.

• Upvote 1
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
On 5/8/2018 at 7:01 PM, gilahacker said:

https://lime-technology.com/forums/topic/61771-optional-gui-resolution/?do=findComment&comment=656621

TLDR: Switching from HDMI to DVI got me 1920x1080px resolution in the GUI. I have no idea why, but it worked.

Using HDMI I had half of my screen garbled (lower half).  Switching to DVI-D got me a screen that I can at least work in, but the DPI is jacked up and it's running at 640x480.  I never use the console directly but I have to ship my laptop off to get serviced and need a temporary backup system for work.

I'm planning on just using KVM and a Windows VM as a stop-gap.  Not the best, but it's at least something I can utilize.

On 1/23/2019 at 3:51 PM, Marshalleq said:

This thread has lost the intent of the original post. We are talking about adding a setting to change the resolution of an EXISTING feature, not a new feature.

It’s basically a couple of text files with the potential addition of the relevant display driver, which should already have been included given the existing feature is a GUI and these low resolutions went out back with VGA CRT screens about 15 years ago.

I don’t think we need to start worrying about memory and dev time and such, their product owner will decide the value of it based on community interest and difficulty to implement. It’s certainly not going to result in going back to 2 yearly release cycles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep.  I'm using a default Intel GPU and I am a bit surprised that the Intel driver package isn't loaded in the main build.  But running an X server is a pain in the butt anyway unless you're using Nvidia's driver set or AMD's driver set.  I'll tinker with it today, maybe I can figure this out.  I just loathe getting into xorg.conf, it's a game of cat and mouse every time!

Edit - plus, I'm sure my changes will get wiped on an updated Unraid release.  But as I said above, I'm just using this as a temporary stopgap.

Edited by Jason Harris