Upgrade 5.0-6.2 unmountable Disk 1

kanwisch

Safely shutdown my 5.0 server (64-bit capable).  Pulled USB drive from server, stored files on laptop.  Copied 6.2 files to USB, made bootable.  Plugged in USB drive and started up server.  Noticed none of the drives were selected for Parity or Disk 1.  Assigned them to those slots.  Parity assigned, Disk 1 indicated Unmountable.

Shutdown server and pulled USB drive to rebuild as above; discovered Upgrade sticky and included config files.  Second time drives were assigned, parity looked ok but Drive 1 was Unmountable from boot.  Posted on sticky, advised to pull reports (attached).

Note: Cache drive looks fine too, mounted fine, Docker started up, CA installed, Plex installed/running and can be seen with client.  Disk 1/Parity contain most of my movie library so it should be a healthy amount of data.

tower-diagnostics-20160919-1918.zip

My first thought, without looking at the diagnostics yet, is the Auto function failed to recognize the file system.  Because v6 has multiple file system formats, there are the 3 choices plus Auto for the file system type setting.  Auto is supposed to figure it out, but lately seems to be failing more than it used to.  Try going to the Drive configuration page (on the Main page, click on the link for the drive), and change the File system type to ReiserFS, and see if that works better.

It looks like the format of disk 1 has not been auto-recognised.

Since you are coming from v5 it must be ReiserFS.    I would stop the array, and then change the format of disk1 from auto to ReiserFs.  With any luck when you start the array it will now mount OK.  If not then I suggest you report back here as it may mean there is some level of file corruption and the disk needs repair.

Another possibility (and I hope this is not the case) is that you mixed up disk1 and parity as the parity disk does not have a file system.    Assigning the wrong disk to parity can result in its contents being wiped.

I looked at the syslog, and it's as he said.  Both drives were set to Auto.  It correctly discovered ReiserFS on Disk 2, but on Disk 1 it found 'nvidia_raid_member'!  It didn't recognize it, so failed it.

Hmmm, that may be a great hint.  The Asus board has hardware RAID via NVIDIA chip and I wonder if its on with those two drives.  I've told the server to spin down the array but it is taking a LONG time.  I'll wait until morning and hope it finishes at some point.  Then I'll try changing the FS type and report back.

If the array's not spun down, advice?  I'm familiar with *nix commands.

Lastly, should I mess with the BIOS settings for the NVIDIA RAID or sort the FS type problem before messing with those settings?  A little worried about too many variables.

Thanks for the advice and analysis.  Before getting to the last post I feared I had randomly selected the wrong disk for Parity.  Suppose its still possible so I'll cross my fingers.

I did a hard shutddown and rebooted.  Once up, I followed your instructions and manually assigned riserfs.  The disk was recognized and I can spin it up.  In addition, guess I got that 50% lucky because I can see all my media files.  Plex doesn't want to find them for some reason, but that is an entirely different matter which I will research on my own.

Please close this as SOLVED.

EDIT: Thanks a heap guys!!!!  Pun intended ;)